shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions on this pink sapphire engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoffy

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a pink sapphire engagement ring but I am totally clueless about what to get in regards to price, quality, coloring and even just what looks nice. I know that she does not like diamonds so I decided to go with sapphire because it''s her birthstone and pink because it''s her favorite color.

I have been searching the internet a bit to come up with ideas and stumbled upon this ring. I would like to humbly ask for any of your opinions on it. Is it a fair price? Is it even an attractive ring?

Thanks alot

http://www.myjewelrysource.com/sapphire_jewelry/gr5175-engagement-all-pink-sapphire-ring.htm

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a LOT of pink. You sure she wants to wear that with everything?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the color of that ring and the price looks fair to me, however, I definitely agree that is a LOT of pink. I love pink, myself, but I think diamonds and pink sapphires together really bring out the pink color and give it some sparkle. I have a friend who has a pink sapphire channel set eternity band, and without any diamonds in it, it really lacks sparkle and looks dirty/dingy easily.

Has she given you an idea of what she wants, other than pink sapphire?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a word of caution: just because a lady doesn’t like diamonds and pink is her favourite colour, doesn’t necessarily mean she will want an engagement ring with a pink stone. I also agree with AprilBaby and Violet that the ring you linked to seems to have gone overboard with pink stones. For a center coloured stone to stand out, having accent diamonds or different coloured sidestones will achieve this effect.

ETA
I noticed that the website only states that it is a natural pink sapphire. This tells me that it isn’t man-made aka synthetic. However, it says nothing about treatment. I have no idea if it has been heated, coated, BE diffused, etc.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to rain on the parade, but I agree, that''s too much pink. I really like the ring that violet posted. I wanted color for my ring, so I got two sapphire side stones (also my birthstone) with a diamond center, but I think it would look just as nice if I had a sapphire center and diamond side stones. Color accents = good. Color explosion = bad. :) The ring violet posted is much more refined and gives the look of being classy and expensive.

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock
I also think that the first ring was too pink. If it were me, I would prefer a beautiful center stone shown in all its glory on a solitaire (or perhaps with diamond accents). Pricescope is a great place to read about sapphires. Just look through the forus and you''ll learn a lot!

And since I can''t resist putting up pictures of pretty stones....here''s a pink sapphire from Jeff White.

Attachments

• pink sapphire jeff white.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 954

hoffy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinions, I really appreciate it!

This confirms what I was considering as well, perhaps a center sapphire stone with diamonds on the sides would be more appealing to the eye... I agree that the ring looks a bit overdone with all the pink.

The reason that I was avoiding the diamonds to begin with is she has a pair diamond earrings she does not like and has told me her dad has bought her diamond jewelry in the past and she doesn''t like diamonds. Perhaps, as an accompanying stone it would be different though huh?

Violet 3: That ring is very pretty, however I was planning to keep it under $1000

Has anyone got any suggestions on where to find a pink sapphire with diamonds as you have suggested for under $1000?

Thanks for all the replies

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a pink sapphire center with white sapphire sides? Is there a certain size you want to be around, or is budget the main concern?

E B

Ideal_Rock
hoffy,

What about a spinel?

2.10 ct Raspberry Spinel

You could have it set in a white gold solitaire or if you could go a bit above budget, something with diamond accents?

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock
Below is an example from the natural sapphire company of a pink sapphire solitaire within your price range. The natural sapphire company only sells unheated sapphires, though. You could get more bang for your buck if you went with heated. Then again, it depends on what you and your girlfriend want.

Good luck. Please keep us updated on your quest!

Attachments

• pink sapphire natural2.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 951

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2009 3:45:25 PM
Author: hoffy
Thanks for your opinions, I really appreciate it!

This confirms what I was considering as well, perhaps a center sapphire stone with diamonds on the sides would be more appealing to the eye... I agree that the ring looks a bit overdone with all the pink.

The reason that I was avoiding the diamonds to begin with is she has a pair diamond earrings she does not like and has told me her dad has bought her diamond jewelry in the past and she doesn't like diamonds. Perhaps, as an accompanying stone it would be different though huh?

Violet 3: That ring is very pretty, however I was planning to keep it under $1000

Has anyone got any suggestions on where to find a pink sapphire with diamonds as you have suggested for under $1000?

Thanks for all the replies
Hmmm....i'll have to work on that - what about sourcing the stone and then finding the setting? might be cheaper than internet shopping...

Here's another design you might like - highlights the center stone and gives some sparkle too with a halo. I realize this isn't in your budget at all, but it might give another perspective for you. Substantial diamond sidestones, such as the ones I posted above could be pricy. The larger the diamond gets, the bigger the price exponentially, unfortunately. One way to subsidize the costs of the sidestones is maybe to do a cluster of diamonds in a triangle for each side, rather than one larger diamond for each side.

Here's the halo idea - many of the people on here have found LOGR inexpensive settings, that aren't the best quality, but are very pretty and reasonably priced. You might be able to find one in your budget and source your stone for it.

eringforpscope12.jpg

hoffy

Rough_Rock
Well, budget is pretty important, I suppose I could go up to $1200. Size isn''t much of a factor. I do like the idea of white sapphire sides.

Also of high importance is that I need it in my possession within a week!

32.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s an example of the cluster idea for sidestones - i don''t like the look quite as as a sidestone for each, but it will keep the costs down for you. I also second both the pink spinel idea and Freke''s idea for white sapphire sidestones rather than diamonds.

this one''s just under your budget. this pic shows the ring up close, but if you go to the website and look at the handview on the model, you can hardly tell it''s a cluster and it really is pretty on her.

http://www.myjewelrysource.com/sapphire_ring/gr5700-pink-sapphire-engagement-ring.htm

gr5700-pink-sapphire-ring_small.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seeing as how you are in a time crunch, you're going to need to go with ready made most likely. How about this one? Pink, simple, under budget.

Step cut .75ct pink sapphire

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Is pink the only color sapphire you are considering?
I have a pink sapphire ring with diamond accents, but I do not wear it everyday. It clashes with some clothes.
Do you like blue? It would be more versatile, perhaps. White sapphire is really pretty, but it is hard to find.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2009 4:22:03 PM
Author: Pink Tower
Is pink the only color sapphire you are considering?
I have a pink sapphire ring with diamond accents, but I do not wear it everyday. It clashes with some clothes.
Do you like blue? It would be more versatile, perhaps. White sapphire is really pretty, but it is hard to find.
If you would be considering blue (of any kind), I could find you quite a few GORGEOUS aquamarine e-rings well under $1000. Aquamarine is not a very hard stone, so it might need to be replaced over time, but it sure is beautiful and you could get a really beautiful setting because the stones are so reasonably priced.

See here:
http://www.topazery.com/antique-jewelry-item-rg2806a.htm

hoffy

Rough_Rock
Yes, that is a nice ring violet3, as well as that one Freke.

I think pink is my best bet Pink Tower.

The rings at natural sapphire look to be of higher quality huh? Or maybe it''s just the quality of their pictures.

So it looks like for my price and time limit, I can either go with a ring from my jewelry source or a more simple ring from natural sapphire...

hoffy

Rough_Rock
hmm, the purplish pink is a good idea too... I know she does like purple as well. Do you guys think this would be a more versatile color?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hoffy, Natural Sapphire Company only uses sapphires that are not treated at all. No heat treatment, no BE treatment, etc. It came out of the earth with that color and quality. So this helps to explain the higher price.

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock
I think purple-pink is very pretty as well. You''ve got a lot of different vendors represented here! Have fun looking it all over and making a choice. If you are interested in the experiences of other PSers with the various vendors, just do a quick forum search. I''ve only personally purchased from Blue Nile, and I was very pleased with the quality. Here''s a ring from Angara.com. It''s $1079.

http://www.angara.com/Sapphire-Jewelry/Sapphire-Rings/629678_SRW0375PS-5.5#

Attachments

• pink sapphire angara.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 970

metromom

Shiny_Rock

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2009 4:21:21 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Seeing as how you are in a time crunch, you''re going to need to go with ready made most likely. How about this one? Pink, simple, under budget.

Step cut .75ct pink sapphire
I like this one! Since she''s made it clear she doesn''t like diamonds, I''d stick with a solitaire, no sidestones.

hoffy

Rough_Rock
Wow, thanks for all the responses, this is gonna be harder than I thought. I will need one more day to make a final decision. . .

Thanks everyone!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoffy, may I respectfully suggest that your future fiance will appreciate if you take the time to pick exactly what she wants. Getting a ring within a week for less than $1000 sounds rather rushed...
23.gif

Perhaps propose without one (ie. empty box) and then go shopping together! Trust me, she will love you for taking a little extra time to get it right or giving her some part of the decision process.

Many PS members spent over a year finding the perfect stone and setting - remember she has to wear this forever! You can easily find something within your budget if you have time to shop around or get it custom made.

I speak from experience on this one!

mousey

Shiny_Rock
i really like the blue nile one- very pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results