shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on blue spinel please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That mint garnet is gorgeous!! Wow! BTW, Catmom has a gorgeous aqua pear in an antique style setting that I think would look lovely on this stone as well. I can't find a detailed pic of it right now, but there's a small picture of it in the "blue" thread circulating right now. the problem is finding a basket deep enough for the stone, unless you decide to bezel it and keep the pavillion bare.

How large is that mint garnet btw?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
very lovely tsav virgoruby!

Knowing that Eric is probably so busy with requests, I had to ask him if he had anymore of the spinel material laying around...lol. He said he''d probably have something else up in a few days.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really?
I asked him too, and he put me on a wait list behind two other people. I didn't realize he was going to put it up for grabs instead, unless I'm mistaken about something?
33.gif

I almost give up trying to get anything with nice color from his website that's posted since it's always reserved or sold already.
15.gif

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
TL & Arcadian, I''m glad you like it. (your positive comments mean a lot to me.. )
The tsav is 1.3ct (6.8mm), so on the small side...

TL, thanks for pointing to Catmom''s pear gorgiousness... it is such a beautiful piece...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL, I really don't know how that works on his site. Basically the same day I saw it and found it was sold I asked him if there was more material. So I guess it depends on who's first in line for it. If they don't want it, it goes to the next person, then so on until its sold, so probably not a free for all. I don't think Eric would do that.

I've no idea where I am in the line, and I didn't ask.

Virgoruby, that tsav is NOT small, trust me..lol Its going to make a very big impact based on its color alone.

-A

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I''m being nosy now...
Arcadian & TL, are you both looking for a spinel? Mahenge?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been on the hunt for a blue one for a while. I don''t have a particular color blue in mind, just whatever I find that I like. I have now 4 blue''s in the running. One is certified cobalt. its pricey and smaller than I want but I''m still taking a look.

I have a mahenge spinel. If I get another it will be a few years because I want to go much bigger than I have now.

-A

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Oh, of course you have a beautiful mahenge spinel!
5.gif

It looks like good cobalt spinels are really hard to find... good luck in finding the perfect stone!
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 11:45:21 AM
Author: virgoruby
I''m being nosy now...
Arcadian & TL, are you both looking for a spinel? Mahenge?
At this time, I want a very pretty blue spinel. I have some nice violet ones, but I want more of a true blue.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 11:41:26 AM
Author: Arcadian
TL, I really don't know how that works on his site. Basically the same day I saw it and found it was sold I asked him if there was more material. So I guess it depends on who's first in line for it. If they don't want it, it goes to the next person, then so on until its sold, so probably not a free for all. I don't think Eric would do that.

I've no idea where I am in the line, and I didn't ask.

Virgoruby, that tsav is NOT small, trust me..lol Its going to make a very big impact based on its color alone.

-A
I must have misunderstood than, I thought he was going to put it up for grabs on his site. Although many people dislike ebay, I search ebay a lot, in all honesty, because I can't beat people to the preferred vendors. I find my own luck on ebay, kind of like you do.
2.gif

I have been looking at Eric's site for days for a nice blue spinel, and as soon as that came up, it was gone. I hope Vigor takes lots of pictures of it. I'm happy a Pricescoper got it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I emailed Eric also the minute I saw Vigoruby's gorgeous spinel asking if he had any more of the same rough because I need a pear shape (slightly different dimensions) for an empty setting. He said he didn't have any more of this particular rough but was getting some more blue in. However, I really like the blue of Vigoruby's one so we'll see.

Vigoruby - you MUST get that spinel. It's to die for! Don't worry about the depth. I have deep pears and have set them in rings so there isn't an issue. The only issue with setting a deep pear into a pendant is that they can twist and turn when worn unless designed well to stop that happening. That might be why Eric has changed his mind and suggested it wouldn't be great as a pendant. In all honesty, I'd get it and then worry later! It's such a beauty.

The mint garnet is also gorgeous. Not sure I'd call it a Tsav but it's very pretty and almost neon in his photo.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grab this stone, tsav. or whatever. It does have a neon quality to it!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Awww, thanks for all your lovely & encouraging comments TL, LD & crasru!
I think I will get both of them - they are just so irresistible!
And I will definitely post lots of pics when I get them.

Btw, Eric referred to the green garnet as ''darker than a pale grossular but lighter than a regular tsavorite.'' and ''very lively''.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2010 3:46:47 PM
Author: virgoruby
Awww, thanks for all your lovely & encouraging comments TL, LD & crasru!
I think I will get both of them - they are just so irresistible!
And I will definitely post lots of pics when I get them.

Btw, Eric referred to the green garnet as ''darker than a pale grossular but lighter than a regular tsavorite.'' and ''very lively''.
THAT''s the important thing!!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, nice (mint) green grossular garnet! And in a round shape too, which will be very lively and easy to set. As for the blue spinel, I''m interested in seeing your pictures. You''ve started a rush for this very interesting powder blue spinel here on PS.
9.gif

To the rest, when a stone comes up or there''s a request, I believe that Eric has a waiting list on a first come, first served basis. If the first person rejects the stone, then it goes to the next person on that list.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing this thread I went to the Swala site, registered, picked out a stone and was about to check
out when I saw the $55 shipping charge. No one has mentioned it so I was more than a little surprised.
6.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2010 9:35:27 AM
Author: MissMina
After seeing this thread I went to the Swala site, registered, picked out a stone and was about to check
out when I saw the $55 shipping charge. No one has mentioned it so I was more than a little surprised.
6.gif
MissMina,
I guess we are used to Swala’s shipping charge as they are located in the remote area of Tanzania where shipping will naturally cost more. In fact, his shipping charge has already dropped by 50% when they first started their online business. Understandably, it is still quite a shock compared to the very low shipping charge (and sometimes free or at least the appearance of free shipping as I’m sure it is already built into the price of the gemstone) of US vendors.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono
Thank you for your answer.
I have never gotten anything from Africa.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I really like the pictures he sent you. It''s a lovely shade of blue. Being a blue spinel with a hint of great/pink etc, who knows how it might look in various lighting situations. I actually have learned to love pears myself. The green is also lovely.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2010 11:25:44 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Really?

I asked him too, and he put me on a wait list behind two other people. I didn''t realize he was going to put it up for grabs instead, unless I''m mistaken about something?
33.gif

I almost give up trying to get anything with nice color from his website that''s posted since it''s always reserved or sold already.
15.gif

Yes I have noticed the same about everything being reserved or sold. I don''t look everyday and so I tend to miss out on things.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Chrono & innerkitten, thanks for your kind words.
I was really lucky to have spotted the blue spinel on their website when I was just browsing... I wasn''t even registered then, but somehow felt the urge to register & email Eric to reserve the stone there and then... am so glad I did - I had no idea that everything gets snapped up so fast!

I realise that the shipping cost is rather high... I assume returning the items to Tanzania would be difficult as well... though I''ve asked tons of questions, so I am quite confident that I will be happy with the stones..

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad that you''re getting both stones!! They look just lovely in the photos. Let us know what you think about them IRL.
9.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a really pretty shade of blue and that tsav is
18.gif

36.gif

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Stone Hunter & brandy_z28!

It took me a while to make a purchase, as I was in the middle of moving house, but I am pleased to say that the package arrived today!
I have to say I love both gems! The blue spinel is just like the vendor pic - light blue with a touch of lavender; it is very pretty & sparkly, with flashes of different colours. I love its chubby pear shape as well. The tsav/green grossular garnet on the other hand maybe a touch lighter than the vendor pic, but very lively (as per Eric''s description). I really wanted a lighter toned gem, so I''m very happy with the colour, which I would describe as crisp grass green.

I will post lots of pics.. soon... hopefully within the next couple of days...
Sorry I haven''t taken pics yet... I just got the package & was so delighted with the gems that I had to share my excitement with you guys...
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the update. I cannot wait to see pictures of both stones!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 10:20:42 AM
Author: Chrono
Thanks for the update. I cannot wait to see pictures of both stones!
Me too!!
31.gif
9.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Lovely spinel. Can you get a dozen?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results