shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on blue spinel please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
What do you think of this blue spinel (3.27ct, 9.8x7.7x6.1)?
I tried to post the vendor pic, but I just couldn''t work out how to do it, so here is the link: http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-gems/detail.php?pid=2090&cPage=1&sort=&perpage=8&cat=&display1=1&display2=&display3=0&category=&variety=&key=&match=&indicate=&reserve_type=&pagefrom=newarrivals

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Also, according to the vendor''s description, the stone is ''ideal for a pendant'' - though do you think it will work in a ring as well?

Many thanks for your help!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty color? I''m not favorable to pears, so take that for what it''s worth, but it looks to be pretty well cut.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the color/cut of it. Pears aren''t so much my thing, but still, it''s pretty!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Freke & Packrat, Thanks for such a quick response!

Pears have never been top of my list either... in fact I''ve never owned a pear, so will probably have difficulty setting it..
I''m aware that the vendor has loads of amazing tsavs & mahenge spinels, but this blue spinel somehow caught my eye...

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Freke & Packrat, Thanks for such a quick response!

Pears have never been top of my list either... in fact I''ve never owned a pear, so will probably have difficulty setting it..
I''m aware that the vendor has loads of amazing tsavs & mahenge spinels, but this blue spinel somehow caught my eye...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 6:10:02 PM
Author:virgoruby
What do you think of this blue spinel (3.27ct, 9.8x7.7x6.1)?
I tried to post the vendor pic, but I just couldn''t work out how to do it, so here is the link: http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-gems/detail.php?pid=2090&cPage=1&sort=&perpage=8&cat=&display1=1&display2=&display3=0&category=&variety=&key=&match=&indicate=&reserve_type=&pagefrom=newarrivals

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Also, according to the vendor''s description, the stone is ''ideal for a pendant'' - though do you think it will work in a ring as well?

Many thanks for your help!
I think it''s very pretty, and I like lighter toned blue spinels since they tend to photograph so dark. What did Eric say about the grey in it? Almost all blue spinels have a grey modifier and you probably want it to be minimal.

It could be in a ring, sure. Nice size on that stone.

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
I saw that on Swala''s site this morning. Are you the one that has it reserved? The cut looks nice and I really like the light blue color. The price looks very good for the cut/size/color combo. There are quite a few very nice necklace and ring settings for pears on PS if you search around.

You may want to ask Eric for another photo of it and also to describe any inclusions since it is identified as eye clean.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto everybody else. I have a pear that size in a ring so I think it could be either. It''s a podgy pear which might be why Eric has suggested a pendant. I love the colour - very pretty. You do need to check, as TL has said, that there''s no grey.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much TL, tsavvy and LD! and Tsavvy - yes, it was me who reserved it.. I thought I''d better do it fast (cos a lot of his gems get reserved really quickly). Eric was super quick to respond to me, which was great.

I haven''t asked Eric about the grey in the stone yet; however, I''ve asked for a few more photos - profile, face-up & underside of the stone. Hopefully I can check if there are any visible inclusions in the stone (if any).
Are there anything else that I should ask him about?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the stone change color, or color shift, to more grey or purple in some lighting? You might not like purple, so it''s good to ask.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask him is it darkens in natural llight. Some spinels don''t perform as well in daylight as they do in incandescent lighting. I have a stoplight ruby red spinel that is to die for at night-time but then darkens so much during the day that it loses it''s appeal. Your spinel is far lighter so even if it darkens I think it would be attractive but still worth asking the question.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
TL & LD: Thanks so much for your fantastic advice - will definitely ask those questions!

TL, I like purple as well, so I have no prob with a colour shifter (as long as it is blue/purple & not grey..).

LD, I never knew that some spinels could darken in natural daylight... (I am intrigued by your spotlight ruby red spinel..)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color and the cut. I''ve got a soft spot for pears. it may be worth it to you to get a few pictures if possible.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice enough to follow up on; the advice about the shift under indoor light, plus additional pictures is good. Also ask about why Eric thinks it is best as a pendant. Very curious indeed.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Frankly, I think that looks like a beautiful spinel. In fact, if I didn''t have some other jewelry plans in the works right now I would have been very tempted by it myself!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eric''s stones seem to get reserved in nanosecond. Personally, I think you can always put a pear-shaped stone in a ring; I have some nice pictures. Looks very nice.

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Arcadian, Chrono, AustenNut & crasru!
I''m off to make a check list of questions before asking Eric! (hope he doesn''t mind me asking loads of questions..
2.gif
)

I''m glad everyone likes the stone.. nothing beats getting a seal of approval from the PSers!
AN - what are ''some other jewelry plans in the works'' that you have at the moment??? would love to know!
crasru - did you say you have a pear shaped stone in a ring? you have pics? can I see them pleeease?

and of course I lurrrve Chrono''s fab pear spinel ring!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I really like the cut/colour. I would vote on a pendant. I just think it would look really pretty as a pendant.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color and the cut. I would ask about grey and about inclusions. And why he suggested a pendant.

HTH

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Oddoneout & Stone Hunter.
Oddoneout - I tend to have most gems set in rings, but I am beginning to think that a pendant isn''t such a bad idea for this spinel either...
Stone Hunter - I''ve just emailed Eric re inclusions and his pendant recommendation (& other questions that are suggested earlier) - I think he''s travelling to Europe at the moment, so I just have to wait for a bit for him to get back to me.
However, Eric did send me additional photos and the following comments earlier; I am really impressed with his super quick response!

(Eric''s comments:)
...It has bit of grey, a very slight touch of lavender/pink depending on the lighting and the surrounding colors. Keep in mind that it is also purposely deeply cut; which you may see from the pictures. The extra depth tends to add extra "layers" of colour; which is sometimes useful with relatively pale gems.

Swala-ref5219-side-view.jpg

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
One more pic.
Any comments?

Swala-ref5219-hand-shot100210.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it''s hideous, so don''t get it!!! (so I can get it instead
31.gif
).

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look pale, but I like the color. Keep us updated. I think a pear pendant could be lovely!
21.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 3:24:50 AM
Author: virgoruby
Thanks Arcadian, Chrono, AustenNut & crasru!

I''m off to make a check list of questions before asking Eric! (hope he doesn''t mind me asking loads of questions..
2.gif
)

I''m glad everyone likes the stone.. nothing beats getting a seal of approval from the PSers!

AN - what are ''some other jewelry plans in the works'' that you have at the moment??? would love to know!

crasru - did you say you have a pear shaped stone in a ring? you have pics? can I see them pleeease?

You know I must apologize - I do not, but I saw a very nice design in one of jewelry books. I am not sure I can reproduce it here, it is probably copywright, and I am trying to find this guy online, but come across his store in CA and there is no website as such. I doubt there is no website, I shall keep on looking and direct you to it.

and of course I lurrrve Chrono''s fab pear spinel ring!

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i think it''s hideous too
31.gif

swala, did you say?
27.gif

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
hideous=pretty?
33.gif
9.gif
31.gif

Date: 2/10/2010 6:22:57 PM
Author: crasru

You know I must apologize - I do not, but I saw a very nice design in one of jewelry books. I am not sure I can reproduce it here, it is probably copyright, and I am trying to find this guy online, but come across his store in CA and there is no website as such. I doubt there is no website, I shall keep on looking and direct you to it.

crasru- aww, that''s so sweet of you...thanks!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While pale and somewhat gray, it''s still an interesting pastel blue. I guess since Eric is out, you won''t know the answer about the pendant/ring question until next week?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would look at aqua pear pendants to get an idea on how to set it. Tiffany has some, and I''ve seen some beautiful ones on PS, but I can''t find the links. I would love to see that in an antique diamond Edwardian style mount.
31.gif

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Bella_mezzo, Chrono and TL for your comments.
(TL- I think an antique diamond Edwardian style mount sounds lovely!)

I''ve now got a reply from lovely Eric re the blue pear spinel..
He assured me that there were no visible inclusions in the stone (which I assumed to be the case from the pics anyway..), and that it was not a colour shift spinel.
He also said that the reason why he thought it was ideal for a pendant was because ''pear shapes are cute for pendants''; he then went on to say that the stone was ''probably too deep for a pendant...'' Hmmmm, does this mean the stone is better suited for a ring after all???
I really do like it''s podgy pear shape though..

I also asked Eric if he had a light/mint green stone, to which he offered me a beautiful, light coloured tsav - I am seriously thinking of getting this as well...

ref10403-swala-tsav.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results