shape
carat
color
clarity

opinions and advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amarz

Rough_Rock
I am still being very indecisive on what type of center stone I would like to have. Needless to say, this is driving the bf CRAZY! I thought I might ask for some opinions here and see if I can come to some sort of decision. I am looking for a square shaped stone that has great spread, great optics, one that could literally take your breath away!! I have been looking at GOG and comparing pictures, but I just seem to like all of them! I had really been set on an asscher but I don''t think it will provide exactly what I am looking for and the bf isn''t crazy about that shape either. The most visually appealing to me seem to be the jubilee, square H&A, and I love the look of the modern cushion. Any opinions??

Thanks in advance, this site has been so incredibly helpful. I hate to think of the route we would be taking in purchasing an engagement ring had we not found pricescope!

esguy27

Shiny_Rock
In addition to the help you''re sure to find on this board, you should also try giving JamesAllen (GOG) and/or Whiteflash a call. They''d be happy to go over things with you.

Ultimately though, you should choose what you or your gf like the most. I''ve realized that everyone has their own preference on what type of stone they like best. Personally, I like RBs the most, but you''ll find people on PS who like every other type. Just ask yourself what looks best to you and start from there.

As frustrating of a process finding a diamond can be, it really is exciting and a lot of fun. Good luck.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would make it a point to see as many different cuts in person as you can. When I was trying to decide on a cut, I basically went through every single shape, thinking I wanted each one at some point in time. Seeing these diamonds on your finger will really help you to decide what you like on your finger. Go to lots and lots of jewelry stores, even stores you would never consider purchasing from. See as many as is humanly possible. As I was reading your thread I automatically thought about the asscher for you and then I read that you had considered it but now are not sure. Of all the shapes you mentioned, I like the cushion best (just another person''s opinion, for what it''s worth).

amarz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input! I understand the importance of going to see different cuts in person, but I don''t feel as though there are many good places to do that here in Wilmington, NC, or at least none that I am aware of. We hvae visited a few stores and bascially it was just full of your usual suspects, the princesses, rounds, etc. These stores didn''t even have any asschers. I have seen some cushions (the more traditional oval shapes) in person and while they were lovely, they just were not the square shape that I desire.
I definitely think that the modern cushion would be right up my alley, but is it going to be a sparkler?? I know it won''t compare to the jubilee optically speaking. I guess the question is: Given the fact that I want a stone that is going to provide a huge amount of sparkle, great spread, and retain the square shape when set, what would be the best shape to consider?

It''s funny that you immediatley thought of the asscher for me Jazmine as it was very high on my list. However, the BF says he just isn''t crazy about the shape and when I really started thinking about it, I don''t know if it would really give me all that I am looking for in a stone.

Perhaps I am a challenged diamond consumer. I have been completely obsessed with this site, learning all that I can and I still feel as though I am absolutely confused:)

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
How do you feel about the radiant cut? And may I ask what your carat weight range is? Just in a purely personal aesthetic preference sense, I think different cuts look better in certain sizes. For instance, I''ve always thought that the asscher was best suited for larger diamonds, and is absolutely perfect for Canary diamonds. What do you guys think about certain squarish cuts complimenting different carat weights?
Also what style of setting are you thinking about?

amarz

Rough_Rock
firebirdgold, I am unsure of the radiant cuts. The 1.70 ct with cut corners on GOG looked good to me at first, but I was unsure of the IS image(I am not incredibly familiar with these just yet). Our ideal carat range is somewhere between 1.5 to 2.0, just depending on pricing and what we can find. I am not set on going way over the 1.5 mark as I would rather have a good quality 1.5 over a 2 ct stone that is just so so.
Possible settings have been another issue. You see, the goal is for me to gather as much information as possible, give the bf some options and then let him make the final choice as I want to be surprised. So, ideally he would like me to come up with some settings that I truly like and then he can go from there. I have seen some that appeal to me on WF, I will try to post some pics, here goes:

gi_PLempav_f.jpg

amarz

Rough_Rock
Okay here''s another

gi_PL102pt-100_f.jpg

amarz

Rough_Rock
Basically, I am looking for a setting with pave, but not all the way around like an eternity. I like the unexpected look of WF''s champagne setting, but it seems a bit too trendy to me, like I may like it this year but not the next. The examples above have the same kind of look, but might have more longevity for me. I love how the champagne has the pave placed in such a way that you can still see the band. Maybe custom will be the way to go so I can incorporate both of these into something that I truly love.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Well asschers tend to be deeper than most other cuts so it wouldn''t have a super great spread that you are looking for. I think you should look into the square H&As. They are gorgeous and I think you could pick a setting that would make it look very square, plus they have a ton of sparkle similar to a round H&A. Here is *~*Danielle*~* Square H&A ring which I think it just gorgeous!!(I hope she doesn''t mind me posting this!! It is one of my favorite!!)

danielle-engring-1.jpg

And here it is on her hand
daniellehandshot1.jpg

Here is the origional thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-square-h-a-engagement-ring-from-gog.36580/=

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock

amarz

Rough_Rock
That is a gorgeous ring! Thanks everyone for the advice and ideas. I think that I will just have to take some time and compare the different cuts that I have in mind and then make a decision. My BF has been looking at pictures of the jubilee and he thinks it is amazing, so do I for that matter. I just don''t know if we will be able to get one as I am under the impression that they are in very short supply at the moment, who knows how long we would have to wait.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I have to chime in as I adore my Jubilee. Here is my thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jubilee-engagement-ring.36506/= but I''m getting it reset so it will no longer be in that setting.

Here is how I feel about Jubilee vs. Square H&A. IMHO I I thought the Square H&A looked too cushiony for me. I wanted something alot more squarish. However, something to watch out for on a Jubilee is the arrow alignment. The arrows on the Jubilee end up at the corners where prongs usually hold the diamond (as seen in my thread). So more often than not those 4 arrows are cut off. However I still can see arrows in my diamond at times just not the 4 cut off arrowheads. s

With the Square H&A however, the prongs for holding the diamond can be placed so it won''t cut off the arrows. In resetting my diamond, I had to think about ways not to cut off the arrows so it''s going to be bezel set in a halo. Anyway hope this helps!
35.gif
And the other advantage for Square H&A is of course, that they seem to be more in supply atm.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 9:45:15 AM
Author: Princess V
but I''m getting it reset so it will no longer be in that setting.

The arrows on the Jubilee end up at the corners where prongs usually hold the diamond (as seen in my thread). So more often than not those 4 arrows are cut off. However I still can see arrows in my diamond at times just not the 4 cut off arrowheads.
May I ask why you are changing settings?
33.gif
Is it because the arrowheads are cut off with that shape diamond, or is it something about the setting itself? The x-prong is one of my top contenders, but I''ve only seen them in pictures. So I''m very interested in feedback from actual owners of that style. Thanks,
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Amarz! I am in NC and confused, too! Maybe we can start a support group! (I can relate to not being able to look at quality diamonds. I went to Charlotte yesterday just to look and didn't find the quality I see here, except at Tiffany's!)

amarz

Rough_Rock
Princess V, thanks for the input, that is definitely something to consider if I want to go for the Jubilee. Is that why you are changing the setting to a bezel? I think that your ring is very pretty by the way, and it will look great in your new halo.

Diamondseeker, yes, maybe we should start a NC support group for those of us that cannot look at quality diamonds in person! Oh and yes there is Tiffany''s which I checked out over the holidays when I was back home in Chicago. Of course they have beautiful things and those great little blue boxes, but I am just not going to pay the markup. I have wholeheartedly decided that the internet is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results