shape
carat
color
clarity

Online Halo Settings????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Grinder9009

Rough_Rock
Hello All!

I have enjoyed sifting through the board for the past week, thanks for all of the info!

I am ready to propose to my girlfriend and I guess I need a ring
2.gif
I actually got shafted by BlueNile... I purchased a rock/setting/wedding band from them on Friday and I get a call today saying that the diamond I picked was not available. The price seemed a little to good to be true: .98 carat, G colored princess, vvs2, ideal cut for under 5k.

So in my travels to find a new ring today I have decided that I would like to go with a princess or a radiant cut stone in a Halo setting with a thin band.
Is a Halo setting something I can order from an internet dealer at the same time as the diamond? Or do I have to order a diamond and then go to a local store? Problem is that I am all ready to propose and I would like to do so as soon as possible..... I would hate to get caught up in a two month process. Another problem is that I work WAY too much and I have no clue when I will have a chance to go in and talk to a jeweler, this is the main reason I am doing this online.

Other questions.... I am looking for relatively small stones in the halo setting, how much is the band/halo gonna cost (ballpark)?

Thanks for your help!

-Dan

Grinder9009

Rough_Rock
thanks msb, I have looked through a few "halo" threads but I cannot find a link to any online diamond dealers that offer a halo setting.

the only name that I see early and often is Leon out of NY.

none of the dealers here on pricescope seem to offer any halo settings on their websites... if it wasn''t so late I would give them a call.

am I crazy or can I just call whiteflash, tell them I want diamond XXXXX and I want it set in a small round stone halo???

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2005 12:57:30 AM
Author: Grinder9009
thanks msb, I have looked through a few ''halo'' threads but I cannot find a link to any online diamond dealers that offer a halo setting.

the only name that I see early and often is Leon out of NY.

none of the dealers here on pricescope seem to offer any halo settings on their websites... if it wasn''t so late I would give them a call.

am I crazy or can I just call whiteflash, tell them I want diamond XXXXX and I want it set in a small round stone halo???

I am sure u can call whiteflash and tell them wat u need and they would be able to help out. i have seen some amazing halo designs done by them and the ppl who own them are very happy with the results..they have a custom design section on their website as well that you can have a look at...

in any case, here are a few links of vendors that mite help:

1) Dirt Cheap Diamonds: http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/
2) Good Old Gold-This is a gallery of rings they have put together for their customers and there are a few halos: http://www.goodoldgold.com/pictures_of_settings.htm#
3) Leon Mege: http://www.artofplatinum.com/frames/thumbs.htm

there are plenty other vendors i am sure that will be able to provide u with the diamond and the halo setting as well....perhaps other PS''ers can chime in?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
If you are stuck for time the custom route might not be the best idea.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo settings have to fit the diamond - this is one reason why many are custom made. There are ways around this (say, set the stone on some tall prongs on top of the halo setting or ...) but it does look better when it fits.

Since you do not have either stone or ring yet, perhaps a seller can help you fit the two together without taking a huge amount of time. The settings at DCD may be available faster (they come from a third party all done) and there are designer settings with halos as well.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
QuestJewelers

and

Whiteflash

both do amazing custom work, have a quick product turnover, and A+ customer service. I have done custom projects with both companies.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
There are some online vendors that have halo rings like Dirt Cheap Diamonds, but because of the size of the center stone you are looking at I think custom is the route that you need to take with a halo. I don''t know how involved you want the halo ring (like pave on the shank, etc.) but my halo setting was a little more than half the price of the center stone (I have 3 sided pave on the shank). If you do decide on custom work Whiteflash.com promises 10-12 days from payment so it''s not that long of a wait and in the end I believe it''s worth it to have something that you love and will see everyday for the rest of your life.

Grinder9009

Rough_Rock
thank you everyone for you responses, you were a great help!

my last decision is between a radiant or a asscer stone.... I see all kinds of asscer halos on this forum but I can''t find any radiants. It a radiant diamond less suited for a halo?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It may be just me, but I think a radiant wouldn''t look great with a halo. A little too busy IMHO.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2005 7:39:54 PM
Author: Grinder9009

It a radiant diamond less suited for a halo?
Anything you like!
1.gif

Not long ago someone started a thread bewildered of why her jewler advised against seting an asscher in a paved halo when this combination looked nice to her... to each his own.

Here''s one - square radiant in halo mounting

FRAMED_RING_sm.jpg

It shouldn''t be too hard to find some white examples.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
i love the halo ring on bothe jamesallen.com and dscaasi.com. They look like the same ring made by the same manufacturer and either of them could put one of their diamonds in it. You can either order online, or call either of them.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I love the DCD/James Allen ones as well.

I agree that a radiant/halo combo COULD be too busy---it totally depends on the radiant. I tried one on in person (A JB Star halo setting w/ trap sidestones) at michael c fina which really surprised me b/c I didn''t expect to like it. There was a recent radiant micropave e-ring on here (diachi? the chihuauha proposal) which was gorgeous....but I''ve seen other radiants which are too crushed-glass-y for me. Attached below is a little halo-collage from different designers so you can see what different shapes look like w/ the halo setting. The JB star one pictured is a bit too crushed-glass for me, but if you were going custom and found the radiant of your dreams, it could very well work!

halocollage.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
And p.s. just b/c I am the wanna-be queen of pave-halo-asscher settings, I just found this one today that I hadn''t seen before: (Their website calls it an EC, but it looks like a SE to me)

JBstarEChalo.jpg

Grinder9009

Rough_Rock
Do you folks think a .94 Carat Asscher may look a little too small in a halo setting?

I can''t afford to pay for a 1.5 Carat diamond + the halo setting/wedding band.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
No way....check out Jessesgrl''s e-ring which I believe is .87ct and GORGEOUS!!!

JessesGrl1.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Just found a bigger shot of it:

JessesGrlbigger.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
...and a hand shot. (Thanks Jessesgrl!!)

(So long story short, Grinder....depending on the ring finger size, I don''t think it will look too small--that''s the beauty of the halo settings!!!)

JessesGrlhandbig.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
And here''s hest88''s sister''s ring. This one is a slightly different style--the halo is all platinum w/ no pave, but it sure is gorgeous!! Oddly enough, also a .87 stone.

hest88sis.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
....and handshot.

hest88sis2.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Halo goddess Blueroses posted this thread recently ... about a new asscher halo ring at Signed Pieces ... and their ring has a .82 center stone. Looks good to me!! & unbelievably under $6K.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-did-this-asscher-pave-halo-stalker-miss-this-one.32485/

I think Jessiesgirl has a .87 ?? (I think) (hand pix above). I think it looks big, beautiful & classic. Found its pix in this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/asscher-lovers-post-ur-fave-e-rings.27951/

Good luck ... I think a halo is a great choice in that size range!

jessesgrlring.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2005 1:53:05 PM
Author: decodelighted
Halo goddess Blueroses posted this thread recently
LOL teehee!!!
9.gif
9.gif

Decodelighted, I think I''ll have to put that on some business cards!!!
11.gif

(It does sound a little nicer than my other title, "asscher ho")

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL ... Goddess/Ho ... you''ve gone plumb Asscher-Happy & we love you for it. (Figures you''d beat me to the Jessegirl punch!)

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Yep, it''s a sickness I tells ya.
3.gif
31.gif

Grinder9009

Rough_Rock
thanks for the wonderfull responses.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
You''re more than welcome....as you can see, some of us really need a diamond 12-step program and are all too happy to help!

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
How did I miss Hest''s sister''s ring? That''s so charming!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2005 1:53:05 PM
Author: decodelighted
Halo goddess Blueroses posted this thread recently ... about a new asscher halo ring at Signed Pieces ... and their ring has a .82 center stone. Looks good to me!! & unbelievably under $6K.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-did-this-asscher-pave-halo-stalker-miss-this-one.32485/

Great idea, decodelighted! That ring is gorgous & available immediately!
9.gif

Here it is:

facetsassch.jpg

(LOL re: halo goddess--Bluenose...er roses has gotten a lot of interesting nicknames lately!)
37.gif

Grinder9009

Rough_Rock
Ok everyone, I have finally decided!!!

I am going to have whiteflash make me a custom halo ring using a asscher center stone.

I had decided on this asscher:

Price: $3,684.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Asscher
Carat: 0.92
Color: F
Clarity: VVS1
Depth: 69.8
Table: 54
Girdle: TK-
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 5.42-5.36X3.74
Length/Width: 1.01

I asked Lesley from Whiteflash (who has been wonderful) and she said that it looked beautifu, I assume she meant the numbers looked goodl. I thought the price was a little too good to be true, and sure enough I was just browsing the James Allen website today and I found what I believe to be the same stone, and they have it advertised as a "Fair" cut. Whiteflash does not include a cut grade. What exactly determines the cut grade? The depth and table look comparable to other diamonds, the polish and symmetry look great, the measurements look comparable.... When I first started my search I was told by several that the cut grade was the most important aspect. Any suggestions??? Should I just have the folks at whiteflash take a look at the diamond when they get it in and let them make the call or should I pick another diamond??? If I pick another diamond I will either have to spend at least $700 more (I am allready way over budget!) to get a like stone or I will have to go near colorless or smaller.

As always I really appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results