Are you on the spectrum?

• 1.Yes, no question

• 2. Definitely not

• 3. Maybe somewhat

Results are only viewable after voting.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reckon I could be on the spectrum for a number of reasons.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m also a psychologist (non-clinical) and a branch of my research these days concerns disability, and particularly what we might call disability politics. So my students and I are interested in the cultural construction of health, and “disorder”, which naturally leans into the way that societies and cultures define mental illness and physical illness, and also “disorders” like ASD and ADHD. The gist of this perspective, which is also called critical disability studies or critical health studies, is that how we define illness and disorder depends of the cultural context we are living in and the political and historical context. This perspective also considers how definitions of health and disorder are linked to other forms of systemic social oppression. Though this lens, disability is often said to be socially defined — that is, the norms and values of the culture create disability by how they construct and define what is considered to be normal. So symptoms of distress that someone might experience when they are autistic, for example, are not defined as stemming from some disorder in one’s neurology or development, but rather from the social conditions that value non-autistic ways of being and punish or stigmatize autistic ways of being.

As you explore this topic, @missy, you may enjoy googling “critical disability studies” and reading a little from that perspective. Many of the scholars in that area — not all of whom are formally affiliated with academia — are autistic. “Nothing about us without us” is the mantra of the field. You may also find the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network interesting. As the name implies, it is an organization run by and for autistic people that advocates for rights and awareness.

And one other thing that might feel relevant… many people within the disability rights circle argue in favour of self-diagnosis. This is because identifying as a person with autism or ADHD isn’t simply a medical matter ( though it can be, as in many cases you need a diagnosis to access accommodation in many institutions; the flip side is formal diagnosis can make you vulnerable to state abuses like involuntary institutionalizations, and some people avoid formal diagnosis for that reason). For many people, identifying as a person with autism (or ADHD or what have you) brings self-awareness, shifting of narratives about one’s life, self-compassion, and also opens doors for forming community with other people who share one’s neurotype. It can also raise one’s political awareness about disability related issues. And for many people with disabilities, including people with autism, these benefits enhance well-being tremendously. This has been the experience of the students I work with and it’s what my research shows. Personally, my life and my family’s life has been greatly enhanced by adopting this kind of perspective. My family is not neurotypical and self-advocacy and developing pride in our specific ways of being has been protective for my kids and healing for many adults.

Sorry this is so long! It is one of my passions. If you are interested in learning more about these issues Imani Barbarin is a tremendous resource for all things disability and autism on social media. She is on IG and TikToc.

Thank you Dreamer. I appreciate your input and that makes a lot of sense. I love that it is one of your passions. I will follow your recommendations and search the resources you suggested. Your post is very informative and helpful, thank you

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For context, on the spectrum that includes "the spectrum," I am more toward the able-to-hyperfocus end than the never-able-to-focus end. I have terrible social anxiety but I get energy from others and not from solitude.

I could never tell you had social anxiety Alex. I am sorry that must be challenging. I personally do not like talking in public but do not experience social anxiety. I just prefer animals to most people lol

From what I see -- and my impression is excessively weighted by how you respond to me -- you come across here as analytical and empathetic but also pretty inflexible. I don't think I have ever influenced your opinion. Granted, I may just be a terrible opinion-haver or -giver. And, of course, you are far from the most inflexible frequent poster here.

LOL thank you for not thinking I am the most inflexible here. Ha. But no, if you provide me with arguments and proof that sway my opinion I absolutely am open minded. It's just at this stage in my life I have evaluated and re evaluated a lot of important topics and see both sides always but know my mind. But again if you are able to show me proof/convince me yes I can change my mind. Just ask my dh. Ha. I mean over the years I have changed my mind on very important topics such as the death penalty and political parties. Thanks to all that has happened in the world recently...but I digress. Thanks for your input. And for the record I never asked about if members here think I am on the spectrum...I was asking if you thought you might be and why. I appreciate everyone's replies though and always enjoy an informative and lively convo

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reckon I could be on the spectrum for a number of reasons.

LOL well "normal" is overrated. At least I think so :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL well "normal" is overrated. At least I think so :)

I prefer the saying "No one is perfect, however, some are more perfect than other." :lol-2:

It feels like unless one has a "label" of some sort, one is not normal nowadays.

I have a label - I am a Type II Diabetic.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would not/does not surprise me one bit that an online forum that focuses on obsessive research and conversing about the minute details of gemstones attracts a higher than usual proportion of people who are on or adjacent to the spectrum!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would not/does not surprise me one bit that an online forum that focuses on obsessive research and conversing about the minute details of gemstones attracts a higher than usual proportion of people who are on or adjacent to the spectrum!

Absolutely correct! My thoughts exactly.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
OK so I hope this will not offend anyone or be a sensitive topic but if you feel it might be please do not continue reading. I have zero wish to offend anyone. The topic is autism. So please 1. forgive me if I get something wrong and 2. know I am not making light of this. I know for those who are dealing with this in force it is challenging and I am absolutely not dismissing it nor do I think it is a diagnosis to be made by a lay person. But in the spirit of PS I would like to chat about it and learn if I can from others. So if you do not mind indulging me I appreciate it and ask you to please not be offended. But if you think you might be please do not continue reading...thank you

My dh has been saying for a long time now he feels I am "on the spectrum"
I always laughed it off because I worked with those who were autistic for most of my career.
Most of my patients were severely autistic (though some were more mildy affected) so maybe not a fair comparison.
And I was always social to a degree (when I was younger) though to be accurate I always classified myself as an extroverted introvert. Meaning I am introverted but can fake being extroverted when necessary.

Greg thinks I am on the spectrum because...

I hate change/deviation from schedule
Obsession with routine
I don't like most people
Certain textures bother me greatly (corduroy and wool as two examples)
Loud noises bother me
I eat the same foods over and over and I do not like many foods
I have intense interests and like sameness
I hate small talk
I avoid large groups and parties-not a fan
I am quick to anger but also very quick to forgive
I have trouble focusing sometimes and get lost in my thoughts often to the point where I might be watching something on TV but somehow lost 20 minutes and no clue what happened despite watching
Same for reading a book now too
And last one for now...newer research suggests that some autistic people may actually feel other people's emotions more intensely
and I feel others emotions overwhelmingly intensely to the point I feel the actual pain

Why I do not think I am on the spectrum:

I am very intuitive and can immediately know what one is thinking and feeling
I always make eye contact
I do not have low level repetitive movements
(Though I do have repetitive behaviors such as needing routine and structure)
I respond well to non verbal cues and can read people
I do well though one on one and do enjoy that kind of social interaction to a degree
I can adapt to change (but dislike it)
I was the number one student in all my schools including college and graduate school where I took top honors for both clinic and academics. I do not know if that means anything and perhaps not. As I know there are high functioning people on the spectrum. But that high functioning?

OK so looking at my lists I see the autistic traits outweigh the neurotypical traits I have
But as with everything there is a scale so maybe I am somewhat on the spectrum. But maybe not.
I resisted for a long time but I do see his points and just as with everything including sexuality there is a range where one falls.

What about you?

I think we have some PSers who are "on the spectrum" but I cannot remember who.
Do you think you could be on the spectrum or is that over diagnosed now because it is currently the "popular" diagnosis ?

Or are these (my) traits common ones nowadays with technology changing our brain waves to the point we experience some of these "autistic" behaviors?
Some of my traits I had always (hating change and obsession with routines; extreme dislike of certain textures and smells; extreme emotions and empathy to the max; very picky about food)) but some are relatively newly (past few decades) developed like hating parties (so much) and many (most ?) people and avoidance of crowds in general. And maybe I have become more obsessed with routines and being very regimented in general though I was always strict that way but perhaps more so now.

Curious to hear your thoughts and see where you think you are on this spectrum.
Thank you for reading and for sharing if you are up to it

well i never thought i was but i have every one of these same "attributes" of being on the spectrum you've mentioned here and now that i looked into it I apparently have some more also LOL

Edited to say - we're all perfect in our own way ;)2

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy...both the reasons to suspect that your hubs listed and your defense of yourself sound like me to a T. But I'm also a Pisces.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And for the record I never asked about if members here think I am on the spectrum...I was asking if you thought you might be and why.

Well you're a good sport then.

And I meticulously answered a question you didn't even ask -- so I must have a bit of both ends of the spectrum in me! :mrgreen2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy...both the reasons to suspect that your hubs listed and your defense of yourself sound like me to a T. But I'm also a Pisces.

We have been together a long time and he knows me better than I know myself I think sometimes...he does think I am on the spectrum. To be fair people here don't really "know" me as others have pointed out...but I am myself always. I write whatever comes to my mind and do not censor with the exception of religion and politics here due to the rules. It's just others cannot know the extent to which I actually hate change and how much I truly need routine to be content. I hate change more than the average individual and crave sameness more than the average individual. However these two things alone does not make me "on the spectrum" so to speak...and a diagnosis would not benefit me in any way. Though like a kitty I am curious. We all know the quote about curiosity and cats though :lol:

For the record I am a Leo :)

Reactions: DAF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well i never thought i was but i have every one of these same "attributes" of being on the spectrum you've mentioned here and now that i looked into it I apparently have some more also LOL

Edited to say - we're all perfect in our own way ;)2

Yes agreed. I do not want to change who I am no matter what that might end up being officially. I don't want to sound conceited or anything like that...I am FAR from perfect (or as our kitties say, purrrrrrrfect) but I like who I am quirks and all. And yes. I am quirky. Always have been.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Excellent point. And from a purely academic viewpoint I am wondering if PSers have a higher percentage of "on the spectrum" members than the average population. Would not be surprised at all

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the saying "No one is perfect, however, some are more perfect than other." :lol-2:

It feels like unless one has a "label" of some sort, one is not normal nowadays.

I have a label - I am a Type II Diabetic.

In our own way we all have labels of some sort. Whether self given or generously donated by others ;-)
I guess it is just the way society works. The need to categorize and label everyone in a specific category.
On one hand I see it as beneficial and it can allow for recognition that others have different qualities. And help others to understand differences in needs and personalities and even cultural differences. On the other hand however, I feel it can make some feel more superior and that's not helpful at all. It can also contribute to obsessing about our own labels so I see both sides here. Not everything in life will fit into a neat little box. No matter how much we might want it to

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just took a free online test that does not require me to enter my e-mail address, and the result is that I am likely to be on the spectrum with a third of the symptoms in the quiz, not at all surprised as that's what I suspected.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested:

Heywise - Discover Your Autism Quotient Self-assessment Quiz

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just took a free online test that does not require me to enter my e-mail address, and the result is that I am likely to be on the spectrum with a third of the symptoms in the quiz, not at all surprised as that's what I suspected.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested:

Heywise - Discover Your Autism Quotient Self-assessment Quiz

This is the test I took and got half the answers as being "on the spectrum"
Not that it is a contest or anything ;-)

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 7.10.08 AM.png

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Yes agreed. I do not want to change who I am no matter what that might end up being officially. I don't want to sound conceited or anything like that...I am FAR from perfect (or as our kitties say, purrrrrrrfect) but I like who I am quirks and all. And yes. I am quirky. Always have been.

YES!! QUIRKY! I always say that!

So i was a little surprised by it, honestly. I text my best friend about it after I read your post. She wrote back "Remember the spackle?" and i was like "oooohhhh...yeah..."

So I will share a little funny story.

My best friend came over my house for dinner because her boyfriend had just broken up with her and she was upset. We were sitting down eating and she was upset and talking to me about it. I noticed a 'ding' in my wall. The thing is, once i saw it, i had to fix it or I wouldnt have been able to concentrate on her, I had to fix it so i could give her my full attention.

So I say to her "I'm listening" and I got up and pulled a putty knife and spackle and spackled the spot. and sat down and then like 15 minutes go by and i pull out the sanding block and sand it. All while she's talking. And then she says very deadpan "You know thats not normal right?" I said "Wait, you mean not everyone has a putty knife and spackle and sander in every room??!!" She said "So, this isnt just a kitchen thing?" I said "Oh, no, i have 4 sets in the 4 rooms i spend the most time in, for spackle emergencies" She said "What about paint?" I said "no, i only have the paint in one spot with disposable foam applicators so i can touch up as needed"

Soooo there's one of my quirks, i like clean walls :lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES!! QUIRKY! I always say that!

So i was a little surprised by it, honestly. I text my best friend about it after I read your post. She wrote back "Remember the spackle?" and i was like "oooohhhh...yeah..."

So I will share a little funny story.

My best friend came over my house for dinner because her boyfriend had just broken up with her and she was upset. We were sitting down eating and she was upset and talking to me about it. I noticed a 'ding' in my wall. The thing is, once i saw it, i had to fix it or I wouldnt have been able to concentrate on her, I had to fix it so i could give her my full attention.

So I say to her "I'm listening" and I got up and pulled a putty knife and spackle and spackled the spot. and sat down and then like 15 minutes go by and i pull out the sanding block and sand it. All while she's talking. And then she says very deadpan "You know thats not normal right?" I said "Wait, you mean not everyone has a putty knife and spackle and sander in every room??!!" She said "So, this isnt just a kitchen thing?" I said "Oh, no, i have 4 sets in the 4 rooms i spend the most time in, for spackle emergencies" She said "What about paint?" I said "no, i only have the paint in one spot with disposable foam applicators so i can touch up as needed"

Soooo there's one of my quirks, i like clean walls :lol-2:

Ha. And yes I can relate. I find certain things to be distracting at times and fortunately my dh finds it to be amusing …usually :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just FYI to anyone using the autism quotient (AQ): it's not a diagnostic tool. It's more of a "how many traits related to autism do you have" kind of measure. Lots of folks without ASD score high on this measure.

EDIT. NOOOOO! THE WEBSITE ABOVE ISNT EVEN USING THE ACTUAL AQ! I wouldn't trust that quiz even a tiny bit

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the test I took and got half the answers as being "on the spectrum"
Not that it is a contest or anything ;-)

Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 7.10.08 AM.png

Gahhhh this isn't even the real autism quotient!!! No idea wtf this "quiz" is, but it's probably nonsense

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have SO many thoughts and professional insights on this but I'll save them for when I'm more rested and can respond in a clear (I hope) way.

Looking forward to this whenever you have the time and energy...no pressure

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gahhhh this isn't even the real autism quotient!!! No idea wtf this "quiz" is, but it's probably nonsense

Ha, I suspected as much (I think most taking this "quiz" would test somewhat "on the spectrum")...but it was a fun quiz to take :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My intense passion and compulsion for stones/jewelry and stat memorization of random stones/pieces was actually a key component to my own assessment and diagnosis.

I don’t know how to double quote. But re: your first comment here, you’ve piqued my interest in who you are and if I have cited you in my own presentations and/or manuscripts. I’d love to send you a piece I co-authored on DisCrit.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@missy Your original lists could very much describe my DH. Last year sometime, he asked me, very seriously, if I thought he was "on the spectrum". Just a seriously, I replied, "No. You are the spectrum." Then we both hyena-laughed. :lol:

I wish I'd known this many years ago, as so much of his behaviour and traits have become crystal clear to me, now, as to why he simply cannot help but to react in various scenarios. He thinks he's spontaneous, but really, he's not at all. True story; we were visiting my family (who are totally the opposite of structured/organized... :shifty: ), and on the second day of the visit, he earnestly told me, "It's okay to not have anything planned, I just need to plan for that." Oka-a-a-ay. At the time it cracked me up, yet if I had known the "why's" of his behaviour, it would be been much less stressful for both of us over time.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I have some resources for you, but I wanted to start off by suggesting that you Google the female presentation of autism. May women with autism identify as HSPs or did before they discovered that they were actually autistic. I also haven't read the whole thread yet, so please forgive me if I mention something that has already been said.

ADHD+and+Autism.png ADHD+and+Autism.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some resources for you, but I wanted to start off by suggesting that you Google the female presentation of autism. May women with autism identify as HSPs or did before they discovered that they were actually autistic. I also haven't read the whole thread yet, so please forgive me if I mention something that has already been said.

ADHD+and+Autism.png ADHD+and+Autism.png

Thank you Alistra. I’m definitely an HSP. I appreciate the charts

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
I had a long week and I admit I have only skimmed the forum posting rules :/ Does anyone know if we can we recommend websites, reddit subforums, or YouTube channels?

Missy, that website where I got the chart from has many excellent charts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results