Are you on the spectrum?

• 1.Yes, no question

• 2. Definitely not

• 3. Maybe somewhat

Results are only viewable after voting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK so I hope this will not offend anyone or be a sensitive topic but if you feel it might be please do not continue reading. I have zero wish to offend anyone. The topic is autism. So please 1. forgive me if I get something wrong and 2. know I am not making light of this. I know for those who are dealing with this in force it is challenging and I am absolutely not dismissing it nor do I think it is a diagnosis to be made by a lay person. But in the spirit of PS I would like to chat about it and learn if I can from others. So if you do not mind indulging me I appreciate it and ask you to please not be offended. But if you think you might be please do not continue reading...thank you

My dh has been saying for a long time now he feels I am "on the spectrum"
I always laughed it off because I worked with those who were autistic for most of my career.
Most of my patients were severely autistic (though some were more mildy affected) so maybe not a fair comparison.
And I was always social to a degree (when I was younger) though to be accurate I always classified myself as an extroverted introvert. Meaning I am introverted but can fake being extroverted when necessary.

Greg thinks I am on the spectrum because...

I hate change/deviation from schedule
Obsession with routine
I don't like most people
Certain textures bother me greatly (corduroy and wool as two examples)
Loud noises bother me
I eat the same foods over and over and I do not like many foods
I have intense interests and like sameness
I hate small talk
I avoid large groups and parties-not a fan
I am quick to anger but also very quick to forgive
I have trouble focusing sometimes and get lost in my thoughts often to the point where I might be watching something on TV but somehow lost 20 minutes and no clue what happened despite watching
Same for reading a book now too
And last one for now...newer research suggests that some autistic people may actually feel other people's emotions more intensely
and I feel others emotions overwhelmingly intensely to the point I feel the actual pain

Why I do not think I am on the spectrum:

I am very intuitive and can immediately know what one is thinking and feeling
I always make eye contact
I do not have low level repetitive movements
(Though I do have repetitive behaviors such as needing routine and structure)
I respond well to non verbal cues and can read people
I do well though one on one and do enjoy that kind of social interaction to a degree
I can adapt to change (but dislike it)
I was the number one student in all my schools including college and graduate school where I took top honors for both clinic and academics. I do not know if that means anything and perhaps not. As I know there are high functioning people on the spectrum. But that high functioning?

OK so looking at my lists I see the autistic traits outweigh the neurotypical traits I have
But as with everything there is a scale so maybe I am somewhat on the spectrum. But maybe not.
I resisted for a long time but I do see his points and just as with everything including sexuality there is a range where one falls.

What about you?

I think we have some PSers who are "on the spectrum" but I cannot remember who.
Do you think you could be on the spectrum or is that over diagnosed now because it is currently the "popular" diagnosis ?

Or are these (my) traits common ones nowadays with technology changing our brain waves to the point we experience some of these "autistic" behaviors?
Some of my traits I had always (hating change and obsession with routines; extreme dislike of certain textures and smells; extreme emotions and empathy to the max; very picky about food)) but some are relatively newly (past few decades) developed like hating parties (so much) and many (most ?) people and avoidance of crowds in general. And maybe I have become more obsessed with routines and being very regimented in general though I was always strict that way but perhaps more so now.

Curious to hear your thoughts and see where you think you are on this spectrum.
Thank you for reading and for sharing if you are up to it

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just remembered another "austistic" trait I have. I feel a very strong sense of fairness and when I perceive something as unfair I get very aggravated and it stays with me for a long time. I absolutely abhor poor treatment of others and I want to exact justice for them. I feel this more strongly I think than most. According to my dh and friends. My sense of justice, fairness and loyalty is powerful. It provokes a strong reaction in me and unless I can right that wrong it stays with me for an inordinately long time

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you be a Giftie Missy? They are neurodivergent and have many of the traits that you’ve listed. To be honest I think you’re hitting all the Giftie traits!

I don't know but I like the rhyme :)
Thank you ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found this very helpful over the last few years:

IMG_1902.jpeg

OMG thank you for sharing this mellow yellow...I never saw this graphic before...and this is me to a t. The overlapping from giftedness to autistic and the giftedness category. Veering into ADHD too but emphasis on gifted and autistic. I have qualities of all three categories. But definitely emphasis on the gifted category

Darn it...all these years my dh was right and I was laughing at his "diagnosis" of me. I even told my parents and we all had a good laugh. The laugh is on me now lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Additional thoughts if I may...Perhaps I could have "benefited" from a real diagnosis decades ago and maybe even been able to get a scholarship to school and also, and perhaps more importantly, not been misunderstood growing up...I feel my parents did not get my reactions to certain things and I was given the short end of the stick so to speak. Instead of them thinking I was behaving "badly" I was just behaving the only way I could. And perhaps I would have not gotten into trouble at school for talking in class and not cooperating and misbehaving if the teachers understood I was neurodivergent...This is fascinating and I wonder how many others were never diagnosed and how many others might have not suffered if they had been properly understood.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I was diagnosed in my 20s. I went to see a psychiatrist to ask for medication for depression and after talking about my history and symptoms they said I should consider talking to a neuropsychiatrist about an autism screening - it was a several month wait for an appt. It made clear a lot of things about my childhood and helped me understand some of the challenges and (major) disorder I've experienced in my life. That's something they really helped me understand is that it's a disorder, so inherently causes disorder in one's life - which helped me feel less like a bad person for some of my actions, reactions, and failures in life. Looking back, I really wish I'd been diagnosed in my childhood - instead of being pulled out of classes, kicked out of highschool, kicked out of nursing school (for not wanting to socialize with the other students which they considered imperative) and having to beg to get back in, and being in a nearly constant state of loneliness. I still sometimes get the feelings of loneliness but I've learned that it's ok to talk to people without having a "reason," which I always thought people expected.

If it's something you're considering, I think it's worth talking to your provider about getting a consultation and exploring further. It can be enlightening

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was diagnosed in my 20s. I went to see a psychiatrist to ask for medication for depression and after talking about my history and symptoms they said I should consider talking to a neuropsychiatrist about an autism screening - it was a several month wait for an appt. It made clear a lot of things about my childhood and helped me understand some of the challenges and (major) disorder I've experienced in my life. That's something they really helped me understand is that it's a disorder, so inherently causes disorder in one's life - which helped me feel less like a bad person for some of my actions, reactions, and failures in life. Looking back, I really wish I'd been diagnosed in my childhood - instead of being pulled out of classes, kicked out of highschool, kicked out of nursing school (for not wanting to socialize with the other students which they considered imperative) and having to beg to get back in, and being in a nearly constant state of loneliness. I still sometimes get the feelings of loneliness but I've learned that it's ok to talk to people without having a "reason," which I always thought people expected.

If it's something you're considering, I think it's worth talking to your provider about getting a consultation and exploring further. It can be enlightening

Thank you for sharing and I am glad receiving the diagnosis and subsequent understanding of what was/is happening benefited you. I totally get how it is to be misunderstood and feel alone at times. Sending you gentle hugs if that is OK

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for sharing and I am glad receiving the diagnosis and subsequent understanding of what was/is happening benefited you. I totally get how it is to be misunderstood and feel alone at times. Sending you gentle hugs if that is OK

THank you!! Yeah, it feels like quite a weight off my shoulders and I find that I feel really OK being OK now. I feel pretty content most of the time now; except, like you mentioned, when I perceive injustice - that can really throw me for a loop

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who was recently diagnosed as on the spectrum and my husband and I both suspected it for a long time. The main reason being that she didn’t seem to get social cues and was unable to read people. She was successful but had trouble at work bc she always managed to offend. That seems to be a big marker for those that are on the spectrum but often aren’t diagnosed because they are able to maintain a sense of normality in their jobs and lives for the most part.

ETA when my friend was diagnosed there was some quiz she asked me to take both for myself and then to answer the questions as if it were her answering. When I answered from her perspective the results were there for on the spectrum.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Wow @musicloveranthony that sounds like such a struggle and I’m glad you finally got answers but wish it had come sooner. I wish PS had a “care” emoji as a response like on FB - I always want to use it on Ps and can’t lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @musicloveranthony that sounds like such a struggle and I’m glad you finally got answers but wish it had come sooner. I wish PS had a “care” emoji as a response like on FB - I always want to use it on Ps and can’t lol.

Maybe this will work

caring emoji copy and paste from www.anthropology-news.org

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a friend who was recently diagnosed as on the spectrum and my husband and I both suspected it for a long time. The main reason being that she didn’t seem to get social cues and was unable to read people. She was successful but had trouble at work bc she always managed to offend. That seems to be a big marker for those that are on the spectrum but often aren’t diagnosed because they are able to maintain a sense of normality in their jobs and lives for the most part.

ETA when my friend was diagnosed there was some quiz she asked me to take both for myself and then to answer the questions as if it were her answering. When I answered from her perspective the results were there for on the spectrum.

I took a quiz last night and got half the answers "on the spectrum" and the conclusion of the quiz was that I was on the spectrum and to see a physician. At this stage of my life I don't feel the need to go see a doctor about this because it won't change anything in my life in a significant way. I am content and happy with the way our life is going. Though, from a purely academic viewpoint, I would not mind getting a diagnosis one way or another so there's that

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Wall of text ahead! Lol

Well honestly. I used to say no way. Absolutely not because I could function very well compared to my two siblings. I got all the way up through my bachelors degree without much trouble except for the last term. And I spent a ton of time having to parent them and managing their healthcare along with my own because our mother is gone and we only have our dad left. So I was left to step up because he had to work to provide for us and couldn't take care of us on his own.

One sibling is schizophrenic with ADHD and is Autistic. Professionally psychiatrist diagnosed. The other has a borderline IQ with ADHD and has recently also been professionally diagnosed with Autisim. Both will never ever be able to live alone without a guardian. Both on disability. So yeah in comparison I looked excellent. I had to have systems to help me function properly but I did it.

Then I had my daughter and omg. My ability to do things the way I used to got trashed. My already trashy memory went into the toilet. My phone is covered in 3x more alarms than it used to be. And I have to have things directly in my line of vision to remember I need to pick them up or work on them. Sometimes i literally need to trip over it lol. And god forbid i remember something that i need to get or do and not have my phone on me because I walk two steps and its gone from my brain lol.
Then I started seeing things like that graphic that was posted earlier. But in particular stuff more Inattentive related and realised not only was my memory total garbage now I've had trouble with most of those things that were listed since I was younger. We just never thought to look at me because I functioned so well compared to the other two and ADHD in women and girls just wasn't really there. Plus the siblings with all their major issues and CPS literally almost every year taking up all the air meant I was on the back burner anyway. Plus I thought everybody had to work has hard as I did to function in society So I never thought I was different from anyone else either. I mean why would I when people would say oh we are all a little ADHD and Autistic. You just need to buckle down more and get your shiz together. Stop being lazy!

More recently my daughter had to go to speech and occupational therapy because she wasn't progressing the way she was supposed to. Honestly partly this could be COVID. I think she turned 2 or was just turning two when it hit. So obviously her social stuff and learning probably took a huge hit because we couldn't have her around other kids or family because mine in this area are all older and we didn't want to possibly get them sick. And while she was there in her therapies the therapists said we may need to think about having her evaluated because they think something is going on. They got her mostly caught up to where she needed to be and we sent her to kindergarten to see how that went. And the teachers after her first term flat out said we will fill out any eval papers you need. She's got SOMETHING going on and needs some extra help. So we signed every single paper they wanted to get her some starter help while we wait.

And as I was looking at her papers evaluation questions for ADHD I was like o shiz. It's potentially real now because I had and still have trouble with a lot of the things on that questionnaire myself. Thankfully as far as she is concerned. We will find out late springtime. She has an evaluation scheduled to hopefully get some answers and potentially accommodations if needed.

So after that I took myself into my PCM and told her about my immediate family history as well as the something going on with my daughter. The doctor and I talk a bit. She asks questions and I answer them. Then she says yep I absolutely think you have ADHD. Just hearing you TALK you present like someone with it and I want to get you trying out non stimulant medications immediately.

So I started trying some out and the only one with mild success so far as Welbutrin which my siblings both take for their ADHD treatment portion. But my doctor is thinking I might need something more so we are going to discuss it at my next appointment. So I call myself half Diagnosed these days because it's not psychiatrist diagnosed. Just my doctor diagnosed. I think if my daughter does come away with ADHD or Autism I'm probably going to arrange for an evaluation for myself. I've heard part of it is going to be 9 hours of computer testing for adults so I'm over here like yikes lol. I can't even pay attention to a game on the computer or watch TV for that long. But we will see how stuff goes in the spring for sure.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chiming in as a clinical psychologist who diagnoses ASD. Long post here.

What is happening these days with ASD (autism) reminds me of what happened in the '90s and early 2000s about ADHD. There was increased attention to the diagnosis (which is good, because it allowed folks to get diagnosed who needed it), but also had some downsides. The downsides was that since folks knew so much more about the diagnosis, individuals with traits of ADHD were told to seek a diagnosis that they might not need.

That's what I think is happening with ASD. And to be clear, the increased awareness is overall a positive thing. But I do think it causes confusion when we start thinking about traits.

Psychology these days has started to conceptualize many conditions as being on a spectrum, even if they aren't called "spectrum disorders". Even things like ADHD and depression exist on a spectrum to an extent insofar as there is a spectrum of severity AND one can have traits without meeting criteria for the actual diagnosis.

I hope that makes sense. I'm absolutely not trying to dismiss anyone's experience, or suggest that @missy Isn't correct in her questions about being on the spectrum. I just wanted to give my thoughts based on experience.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is happening these days with ASD (autism) reminds me of what happened in the '90s and early 2000s about ADHD. There was increased attention to the diagnosis (which is good, because it allowed folks to get diagnosed who needed it), but also had some downsides. The downsides was that since folks knew so much more about the diagnosis, individuals with traits of ADHD were told to seek a diagnosis that they might not need.

That's what I think is happening with ASD. And to be clear, the increased awareness is overall a positive thing. But I do think it causes confusion when we start thinking about traits.

Psychology these days has started to conceptualize many conditions as being on a spectrum, even if they aren't called "spectrum disorders". Even things like ADHD and depression exist on a spectrum to an extent insofar as there is a spectrum of severity AND one can have traits without meeting criteria for the actual diagnosis.

I hope that makes sense. I'm absolutely not trying to dismiss anyone's experience, or suggest that @missy Isn't correct in her questions about being on the spectrum. I just wanted to give my thoughts based on experience.

Thank you for chiming in love dogs. I agree completely. The only thing I can say for sure is I share traits with those on the spectrum. I can’t say either way definitively if I am on the spectrum. I am not a clinical psychologist and if I want to explore this further I’ll have to see someone who specializes in this field. I’m not sure there is anything to gain by doing so. All in all a fascinating topic. I appreciate your input thank you

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Here's something I think you might find interesting. @lovedogs, I'd love to hear your opinion of it.

So this is a test that supposedly measures empathy. I did it some time ago, alongside some friends and acquaintances. Maximum score is 80, and the test claims results of 30 and below could be indicative of lack of empathy commonly seen with people on the spectrum.

The one person from the group who has diagnosed autism scored 6. I scored 50, another two people scored 45 and 52 respectively. The last person scored 27 which for me felt a bit off because said person is generally very caring and emotionally mature, but they have had their doubts about possibly being slightly on the spectrum. Never been tested, though, so no confirmation.

At the time the test was considered just a fun activity, but this discussion got me curious if it is, in fact, something solid that can be taken seriously. And even if it isn't, hopefully it can be a fun activity for you, too.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I was a kid today I would have been diagnosed as such but the truth is I have had Prosopagnosia forever combined with little memory for names of people and things.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's something I think you might find interesting. @lovedogs, I'd love to hear your opinion of it.

So this is a test that supposedly measures empathy. I did it some time ago, alongside some friends and acquaintances. Maximum score is 80, and the test claims results of 30 and below could be indicative of lack of empathy commonly seen with people on the spectrum.

The one person from the group who has diagnosed autism scored 6. I scored 50, another two people scored 45 and 52 respectively. The last person scored 27 which for me felt a bit off because said person is generally very caring and emotionally mature, but they have had their doubts about possibly being slightly on the spectrum. Never been tested, though, so no confirmation.

At the time the test was considered just a fun activity, but this discussion got me curious if it is, in fact, something solid that can be taken seriously. And even if it isn't, hopefully it can be a fun activity for you, too.

I got a 60. Thanks for sharing this test. I enjoy taking tests lol

Screen Shot 2024-03-03 at 11.24.24 AM.png

ETA I thought that *some* forms of being "on the spectrum" were those who had high levels of empathy and compassion

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock

lolll... well, anecdotally, I got a 9 and am diagnosed.
I consider myself to be empathetic, but sometimes I think maybe it's just me mistaking hypersensitivity or hypervigilance for empathy (things like that test make me question it)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The EQ is definitely a legit tool for measuring some kinds of empathy. HOWEVER (big however), it can't be used to diagnose anything. Lots of diagnoses involve challenges w empathy.

Also, recent research has debunked rhe idea that folks on the spectrum lack empathy. We now understand that there are 2 distinct types of empathy: cognitive (e.g. "I cognitively understand that you're sad and I understand") versus affective (e.g. "I FEEL your emotions and intuitively understand how you feel even if I don't cognitively understand why you feel sad").

Folks on the spectrum tend to struggle with affective empathy, but are adept at cognitive empathy (depending on age). This research is still relatively new (last 10ish years), because for a long time researchers and clinicians thought that folks on the spectrum struggled with all types of empathy, since kids with ASD often struggle to figure out what emotions other people are feeling (e.g. perspective taking).

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Also, recent research has debunked rhe idea that folks on the spectrum lack empathy. We now understand that there are 2 distinct types of empathy: cognitive (e.g. "I cognitively understand that you're sad and I understand") versus affective (e.g. "I FEEL your emotions and intuitively understand how you feel even if I don't cognitively understand why you feel sad").

Thank you for saying that. I was just telling my coworker that I scored a 9 on that but that I do feel something I correlate with empathy but that maybe it's not the right word for it. I certainly -feel things- and I sometimes think I feel more intensely than some and I cry easily when movies or songs are emotionally impactful (even commercials haha)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes! I worked almost my entire career with those who were autistic and many of them did have strong empathetic feelings. I knew that had to be a myth. Thank you for explaining!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter was dxed at 16 months with Pervasive Development Disorder Not otherwise specified. She is on the spectrum and 30 years old now. Well meaning people over the years have insisted that she is not on the spectrum. I think lay people should not be amateur diagnosticians. All humans resist change. It is the degrees that matter.

One of the differences in her neuro functioning is that she doesn’t understand symbols. No 1 to 1 correspondence with numbers. She can’t generalize concepts. An example is an apple. If she is taught a red delicious apple is an apple, she cannot generalize to a Granny Smith. She has to learn each one independently. This also impacts executive function.

There are so many facets to this diagnosis that lay people do not understand. If someone is not functioning well in their life and relationships then get tested. Being introverted does not make you be on the spectrum. Not making eye contact, according to my daughter, is a lot more to do with feeling like prey in social situations, and not being able to read faces.

Just my .02 worth.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m also a psychologist (non-clinical) and a branch of my research these days concerns disability, and particularly what we might call disability politics. So my students and I are interested in the cultural construction of health, and “disorder”, which naturally leans into the way that societies and cultures define mental illness and physical illness, and also “disorders” like ASD and ADHD. The gist of this perspective, which is also called critical disability studies or critical health studies, is that how we define illness and disorder depends of the cultural context we are living in and the political and historical context. This perspective also considers how definitions of health and disorder are linked to other forms of systemic social oppression. Though this lens, disability is often said to be socially defined — that is, the norms and values of the culture create disability by how they construct and define what is considered to be normal. So symptoms of distress that someone might experience when they are autistic, for example, are not defined as stemming from some disorder in one’s neurology or development, but rather from the social conditions that value non-autistic ways of being and punish or stigmatize autistic ways of being.

As you explore this topic, @missy, you may enjoy googling “critical disability studies” and reading a little from that perspective. Many of the scholars in that area — not all of whom are formally affiliated with academia — are autistic. “Nothing about us without us” is the mantra of the field. You may also find the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network interesting. As the name implies, it is an organization run by and for autistic people that advocates for rights and awareness.

And one other thing that might feel relevant… many people within the disability rights circle argue in favour of self-diagnosis. This is because identifying as a person with autism or ADHD isn’t simply a medical matter ( though it can be, as in many cases you need a diagnosis to access accommodation in many institutions; the flip side is formal diagnosis can make you vulnerable to state abuses like involuntary institutionalizations, and some people avoid formal diagnosis for that reason). For many people, identifying as a person with autism (or ADHD or what have you) brings self-awareness, shifting of narratives about one’s life, self-compassion, and also opens doors for forming community with other people who share one’s neurotype. It can also raise one’s political awareness about disability related issues. And for many people with disabilities, including people with autism, these benefits enhance well-being tremendously. This has been the experience of the students I work with and it’s what my research shows. Personally, my life and my family’s life has been greatly enhanced by adopting this kind of perspective. My family is not neurotypical and self-advocacy and developing pride in our specific ways of being has been protective for my kids and healing for many adults.

Sorry this is so long! It is one of my passions. If you are interested in learning more about these issues Imani Barbarin is a tremendous resource for all things disability and autism on social media. She is on IG and TikToc.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Autistic & proud here, My diagnosis is that old school I was diagnosed with Asperger's first then popped onto the Spectrum, I personally think alot of individuals are or at least show some traits, I'm glad to see the overall conversation change in tone given the right support & tools to learn we can do anything I'm glad my brain works differently I honestly see things from a totally different perspective the only issue I have is with my education it was drilled into me to always give eye contact & don't get me started on maths even in the "Special" Class we couldn't sit down till we got an answer right lol

I'm just glad children & adults today on the most part are being given the correct support to achieve there utmost potential.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This makes perfect sense to me. Having retired from the school system after 30+years (not a teacher), I lived through the ADHD explosion. Behaviors caused too much unnecessary medication for kids that were just kids IMO. Some really needed it and for those, it made a tremendous difference. Autism was barely mentioned in those days. Today’s catch word is ‘on the spectrum’. We probably all have some traits that would put us on it to some degree, but the difference to me is how it affects your everyday living. There is a real difference in being clinically diagnosed with autism as opposed to having some of the traits. It is too easy of a bandwagon to be put upon; always looking for an explanation rather than a cause. The spectrum is very wide and for those seriously affected, I applaud the efforts to help mitigate. It can be a very serious and debilitating diagnosis. I just think that it is wise to be careful about labeling and amateur diagnosing - it can have real consequences and impact - particularly in children. Like you, not at all downplaying it or realizing that it can be very real. It is just important to receive the correct diagnosis as opposed to thoughts and opinions about it.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate change/deviation from schedule
Obsession with routine
I don't like most people
Certain textures bother me greatly (corduroy and wool as two examples)
Loud noises bother me
I eat the same foods over and over and I do not like many foods
I have intense interests and like sameness
I hate small talk
I avoid large groups and parties-not a fan
I am quick to anger but also very quick to forgive
I have trouble focusing sometimes and get lost in my thoughts often to the point where I might be watching something on TV but somehow lost 20 minutes and no clue what happened despite watching
Same for reading a book now too
And last one for now...newer research suggests that some autistic people may actually feel other people's emotions more intensely
and I feel others emotions overwhelmingly intensely to the point I feel the actual pain

First we're gonna need to workshop this personal ad a little bit. :cool2:

These things may be "markers" of subtle pathology but, let's face it, they are also markers of humanity; lots of people feel lots of these things.

At the extremes, I do not doubt that there is serious impairment.

I don't think any of us can say much of value based solely upon what you write on this forum. That is the part of you that you choose to share with us and it may or may not be emblematic of who you really are, whether by choice or subconsciously. I know lovely people who are jerks in print (they just. can't. email.) and vice-versa.

For context, on the spectrum that includes "the spectrum," I am more toward the able-to-hyperfocus end than the never-able-to-focus end. I have terrible social anxiety but I get energy from others and not from solitude.

From what I see -- and my impression is excessively weighted by how you respond to me -- you come across here as analytical and empathetic but also pretty inflexible. I don't think I have ever influenced your opinion. Granted, I may just be a terrible opinion-haver or -giver. And, of course, you are far from the most inflexible frequent poster here.

Unpopular opinion follows: Is it helpful to analyze yourself to this degree? Are you planning to change? I half-wonder if there is a tendency for people with only subtle manifestations to seek admittance to one of these groups to avoid having to change -- "society needs to adapt to me now." And the super-loose "three from Column A plus two from Column B" diagnostic criteria are probably closer to a Cosmo quiz than actual biology.

You were first in your class wherever you went. Vis-a-vis scholarships, etc., if you had known of a diagnosis, how much more of a leg up would you have needed? It's an argument against impairment, not for it, imo.

For a family member, I was reading a detailed book about retirement planning when you have a special-needs kid, and one of the authors went on and on about his brilliant daughter who graduated from a top university and was a D1-level competitive athlete and how they finally were able to get her the help she needed by having her legally recognized as disabled. Maybe I am downplaying her disability but compared to my family member who had to scratch and claw to get similar-level services for their now-twenty-something kid who is intellectually a (lovely) three-year-old, it seemed like apples and oranges. So I am more in the under-pathologizing than over-pathologizing camp. Clearly there are a bunch of folks here who are more expert than I in this area, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results