shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Mine Cut Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All!

One of my friends from elsewhere on the interwebs just got engaged with a lovely OMC heirloom stone, and she sent me some pics. Being the diamond afficianados that we are, I thought you all would enjoy them as much as I do.
1.gif

Center stone; 1.25 carats, VS1 clarity, K color, Old Mine Cut given to her grandmother in 1934.

Setting; Platinum; 4 baguettes - H-I color, VS2 clarity, .14 total weight. 32 round - H-I color, VS2 clarity, .32 total weight.

Ring size; 5.75

melissaspictures416.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

melissaspictures410.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

melissaspictures409.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock

melissaspictures407-1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s beautiful; does it have green flouro or something? I see a slight tint in a few pictures but it isn''t yellow. And the setting is very unique with the baguettes, a twist on the usual split shank.
30.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
That''s a stunning ring!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 10:52:54 AM
Author: Chrono
It's beautiful; does it have green flouro or something? I see a slight tint in a few pictures but it isn't yellow. And the setting is very unique with the baguettes, a twist on the usual split shank.
30.gif

Unfortunately, I don't know much else about the diamond. But, I sent her the link to the thread, so perhaps she'll join PS to answer your question.
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very unique setting! I love the look of old mine cut diamonds. How sweet that it was her grandma''s!!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is beautiful, I llike the baguettes in the middle of the split shank. I think that the main diamond looks more round than an Old Mine Cut, more like an Old European Cut.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 11:15:56 AM
Author: Pyramid
The ring is beautiful, I llike the baguettes in the middle of the split shank. I think that the main diamond looks more round than an Oldmine Cut, more like an Old European Cut.

That''s what I was thinking, as well. I have a .50 ct. OEC that looks very, very similar to this one.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am only going on what I have seen on the forum here and do not have experience of Old Cut diamonds. I have attached the chart someone else posted.

cutvariationsbruton.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
The ring is beautiful, I llike the baguettes in the middle of the split shank. I think that the main diamond looks more round than an Old Mine Cut, more like an Old European Cut.
I was thinking the same thing.... and I was also thinking that the color has to be lower than a K... mine is a low J and it is far from that intensely colored... I actually prefer *this* much color. It''s an unsual shade, almost looks a little greenish, I wonder what the fluor is! Now, having said all of that I love the stone and I really like the setting she put it in :)

missy13

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone.
1.gif

That is my hand and ring in the pictures. Thank you SO MUCH for the compliments! I absolutely adore the ring so much and it is so much more beautiful than I ever pictured it would be.

The more I am thinking about it, I do believe that the jeweler said it was Old EUROPEAN Cut - my apologies! I am admittedly not a diamond expert, so I get things confused sometimes.
2.gif

It was a challenge to pick out a setting that we felt would compliment the diamond, as it was still set in it's original setting when trying on rings. So it was a matter of holding the 2 rings up to each other, trying to figure out which would look good and hoping for the best! I was a bit nervous about it, not knowing exactly what it would look like, so when I received the ring I was beyond thrilled. Lauren was the first to suggest a split shank setting, and I have always gravitated towards baguettes, so when I saw this setting had both I immediately loved it. It is different than anything I had seen before, which is something I hoped for, and I feel like it really compliments the diamond.

As far as color or anything like that, all I know is that it is K according to what the jeweler told us. But the color it throws in some light is amazing. It reminds me of some old jewelry my Nana had, that would throw almost pastel rainbows when it sparkled.

We will be getting the appraisal this weekend, so maybe I'll have some more information about it next week!

Anyway, thanks again for the compliments!!! I love it.
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 11:22:20 AM
I am only going on what I have seen on the forum here and do not have experience of Old Cut diamonds. I have attached the chart someone else posted.
I saw this where it was posted hehe - and I just want to go on record stating that I want a square english cut!!!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 11:46:22 AM
Author: missy13
Hello everyone.
1.gif

That is my hand and ring in the pictures. Thank you SO MUCH for the compliments! I absolutely adore the ring so much and it is so much more beautiful than I ever pictured it would be.

The more I am thinking about it, I do believe that the jeweler said it was Old EUROPEAN Cut - my apologies! I am admittedly not a diamond expert, so I get things confused sometimes.
2.gif

It was a challenge to pick out a setting that we felt would compliment the diamond, as it was still set in it''s original setting when trying on rings. So it was a matter of holding the 2 rings up to each other, trying to figure out which would look good and hoping for the best! I was a bit nervous about it, not knowing exactly what it would look like, so when I received the ring I was beyond thrilled. Lauren was the first to suggest a split shank setting, and I have always gravitated towards baguettes, so when I saw this setting had both I immediately loved it. It is different than anything I had seen before, which is something I hoped for, and I feel like it really compliments the diamond.

As far as color or anything like that, all I know is that it is K according to what the jeweler told us. But the color it throws in some light is amazing. It reminds me of some old jewelry my Nana had, that would throw almost pastel rainbows when it sparkled.

We will be getting the appraisal this weekend, so maybe I''ll have some more information about it next week!

Anyway, thanks again for the compliments!!! I love it.
9.gif
Hi! Welcome!! :) Was this a family stone? What was the original setting like? Was the stone appraised unset? I love old stones :)

missy13

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 11:49:34 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Hi! Welcome!! :) Was this a family stone? What was the original setting like? Was the stone appraised unset? I love old stones :)
Hi, and thanks!

It was my grandmother's engagement diamond! It is very very special, and was given to her by my PopPop in 1934. The original setting was platinum. It completely encased the diamond in kind of like a box. Meaning, instead of 4 prongs, it was like the 4 corners of the box were holding the diamond in place, and it was all platinum around the sides of the diamond. You literally could only see the top of the stone. The band then had 2 small round stones on either side. The diamond sparkled when it was in the original setting and it was only the top of the stone you could see, so now that it is in a setting where all sides are exposed to light, it is even more brilliant.

The stone was appraised unset, but when my fiance picked it up, the jeweler he worked with specifically wasn't there. So they suggested we come back, meet with her to get the appraisal of the diamond alone and have her appraise the entire ring. That's what we will be doing this weekend. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2007 11:45:58 AM

I was thinking the same thing.... and I was also thinking that the color has to be lower than a K... mine is a low J and it is far from that intensely colored... I actually prefer *this* much color. It''s an unsual shade, almost looks a little greenish, I wonder what the fluor is! Now, having said all of that I love the stone and I really like the setting she put it in :)
Cehra,
When I was shopping for my OEC, WF had a stone that was a K and also had a green tint. Not green flouro. Bob said that years ago, most diamonds came from a specific African mine and lots of rough mined there had a green tint.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 12:23:31 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 4/27/2007 11:45:58 AM

Cehra,
When I was shopping for my OEC, WF had a stone that was a K and also had a green tint. Not green flouro. Bob said that years ago, most diamonds came from a specific African mine and lots of rough mined there had a green tint.
I think it looks really cool! Have you ever seen scott''s omc? It is like an M??? I think? with GREEN fluor and it looks the color of mt dew in sunlight!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember Rockdoc saying on the forum once that warmth/lower colour in diamonds is not always yellow, the colour can be brown, yellow, grey, green. We always hear people saying about a diamond looking a warmer colour and being more yellow but that is only one of the colours it can be. This I believe has nothing to do with fluorescence but to do with body colour of the rough. Yellow is only one shade a diamond can be and the public seem to speak about that all the time and forget it may be grey etc. So a diamond can be J colour and be grey or J colour and be Green, or k colour and be yellow or k colour and be brown, each colour is in all grades.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 12:48:54 PM
I remember Rockdoc saying on the forum once that warmth/lower colour in diamonds is not always yellow, the colour can be brown, yellow, grey, green. We always hear people saying about a diamond looking a warmer colour and being more yellow but that is only one of the colours it can be. This I believe has nothing to do with fluorescence but to do with body colour of the rough. Yellow is only one shade a diamond can be and the public seem to speak about that all the time and forget it may be grey etc. So a diamond can be J colour and be grey or J colour and be Green, or k colour and be yellow or k colour and be brown, each colour is in all grades.
that''s true! mine is a J that is yellow but also a bit brown - just enough that it looks like an antique white or ivory color. It doesn''t look *yellow*. I keep looking at the stone in the OP ring and am very intrigued by it! I want to see more and closer pictures of the stone as well as some profile shots of the setting... HINT HINT HINT!!!! ;-)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
That ring rocks
36.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2007 12:59:32 PM

that''s true! mine is a J that is yellow but also a bit brown - just enough that it looks like an antique white or ivory color. It doesn''t look *yellow*. I keep looking at the stone in the OP ring and am very intrigued by it! I want to see more and closer pictures of the stone as well as some profile shots of the setting... HINT HINT HINT!!!! ;-)

I didn''t know you could get two colours in the one diamond, you are saying yours is yellow and brown. I was meaning that a K is not necessarily one colour and another grade another colour but the different colours appear in each letter grade.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful setting and diamond!!

*M*

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful stone! I do simply adore that graded split shank setting - a stunning combination!

richipat

Rough_Rock
Thanks for hsaring -- the older stones have such personality.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 11:46:57 AM

Date: 4/27/2007 11:22:20 AM
I saw this where it was posted hehe - and I just want to go on record stating that I want a square english cut!!!!!
That the FIRST thing I thought!!

YUMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cehra... you walking around in my head again???
9.gif

I LOVE that ring BTW! Beautiful heirloom and really lovely setting! Congrats!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful ring!!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring and stone. I adore stones like that.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Lauren, your friend is indeed a lucky gal. How nice to receive something so lovely with a family history. Gorgeous diamond. Nice ring, too!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 1:11:18 PM

Date: 4/27/2007 12:59:32 PM

I didn''t know you could get two colours in the one diamond, you are saying yours is yellow and brown. I was meaning that a K is not necessarily one colour and another grade another colour but the different colours appear in each letter grade.
I don''t know if you can have two colors in one diamond - maybe? LOL I''m not saying mine is yellow and brown - mine is mostly clear but what color you do see is a yellowish brown meaning... like a manilla folder? I dunno... like an antique wedding gown?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results