shape
carat
color
clarity

OK, so now my kitty has behavior issues...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey RT - I know I''m late to this thread (we were out of town), but I''m sorry you''re having so much trouble with MC''s play aggression and with finding appropriate toys. Have you thought of trying to find some twine? If there are markets near you, there might be vendors that use it to tie stuff up? Or fabric strips might work to tie onto sticks?

Also, this is a little bit redundant with what''s already been posted, but for an expert take on this, this link is a .pdf of a handout on play aggression from the behaviorists at the shelter where I volunteer - might be a helpful thing to look over!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Thanks AG, that was actually really helpful. I've stopped reacting with any nose bopping at all now and it seems to be helping. (although I admit if he gets me by surprise sometimes I reflexively whap whatever is clawing me without thinking)
14.gif

He got his bi-weekly bath today and didn't try to bite or scratch me at all, yay.

ETA: Chen is also a bit of a play biter, and AG's handout says it can just be a personality trait of high-energy, smart cats--so hopefully they will wear each other out!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad it was helpful RT. The handout came from this website, which has some other really helpful stuff about cat behavior as well - we used their handout on introducing a new kitty for our most recent addition and it was a wonderful success.

I think MC and Chen will get along really well and hopefully you''re right that they will wear each other out - I can''t imagine what a terror our littlest one would have been without the older cats to play with
23.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, nothing new but I thought I'd post some great advice from a great book I highly recommend...called Cat vs Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett. Definitely worth a read whether you've got 1 cat or 12. She's got some great cat books and is a cat behaviorist. The behaviorist that came to my house knows Pam and has nothing but praise for her.

Play aggression tends to be directed toward people. Cats who were taken away from their mothers and littermates too early, or hand-raised orphan cats, may not know how to gauge their play response because they didn't experience social play with littermates as kittens. They may cross the line and play too aggressively with you and may not have learned to keep their claws retracted during play. You can unintentionally bring about this behavior if you use inappropriate play techniques with the cat when it is a kitten. Although it can be tempting to use your wiggling fingers to entice a kitty to play, it sends a bad message. If he learns that biting his owner's hand is acceptable, he'll also think it's okay to bite your child's hand, etc. Hands should never be used as toys. Also, avoid wrestling type play with the cat because it can cause a defensive response.

Watch for signs that the cat is moving towards aggression - such as flattening of the ears and growling. Use interactive fishing pole toys when you play so the cat gets a clear message as to what is acceptable to bite. Use treats when he plays appropriately. Schedule two or three play sessions a day so the cat doesn't develop pent up energy. If the cat still goes for your hand or ambushes your ankles when you walk into a room, you may have to use aversion therapy. Carry a water pistol and give a small squirt (never in the face) to interrupt the behavior. Don't let the cat see that the blast came from you. Be careful with aversion techniques, or the cat may become afraid of you. Punishment should never be used.

Hope this helps and MC recovers quickly from the neuter.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
FG,
Could you tell me a little more about the book, "Cat vs. Cat"? Neither my library or my local bookstore has it, so if I get it I''ll have to buy it sight-unseen from Half.com or etc. You think it''s worthwhile even for one-kitty houeseholds? What kind of topics does it address? Thank you SO MUCH!!!

L

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the book. She also has another book that's like a kitty owning bible that I also read cover to cover from the library called, "Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat--Not a Sour Puss" which was very enlightening.

These are the chapters in Cat vs Cat:
Understanding the Feline Hierarchy
The Complex World of Feline Communication
The Importance of Territory
New Introductions
Let's Play!
Mealtime
The Litter Box
Scratching Behavior
Aggression
Managing Stress
Aging and Illness

The ones in red are specific to multiple cats. The rest talk about general guidelines, problems, and advice. I've read the book 3 times. Finally going to give it back to the library. Might end up buying a copy at some point. Her first book (the one I referenced above) is also really great when dealing with a single cat. I read that one multiple times as well when first rescuing Holly.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Awwww, FG... THANKS! I can clearly see that I *need* both books!!! Off I go to Half.com...
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
*Done!* Both books ordered.

Cha-ching, cha-ching... that''s the PS way!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/25/2007 3:58:27 PM
Author: Lynn B
*Done!* Both books ordered.

Cha-ching, cha-ching... that''s the PS way!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Oh girl, isn''t it.
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results