shape
carat
color
clarity

Ok guys, help me choose the stone!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Alright purchase time is coming soon!
9.gif
These are the two stones I''m looking at and I can''t decide which one to go with. I''m also trying to decide between two settings, one of which is a tiffany solitaire from WF and the other is my own design that has a halo, and so choosing one of these settings might influence the stone decision... But I need your experienced opinions! Please tell me what you think of these stones. Thanks~

#1 .79 I/SI2

#2 .903 K/VS2

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Here are the specs:

Price: $2,275.00
Report: AGS
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.790
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Depth: 61.3
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin-Sly Thick Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.96-5.98X3.66

Price: $2,788.00
Report: AGS
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 0.903
Color: K
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 61.5
Table: 56.8
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 15.1
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43.1
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.18-6.23X3.81

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunkist these both look great, if it was ME I would go for the K VS2, it will look slightly bigger, and I don''t mind a touch of warmth, how do you feel about a K? With the SI2, I can see what looks to me like a reflection on the RHS of dark spots, of course it is a magnified pic, have WF said if this diamond is eyeclean? They both look like they could be good choices though, if the SI is eyeclean.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
And here are the settings I like. I really like the one I''ve deigned of course, but my BF likes the simpler solitaire. I''m liking it too, but I don''t want the stone to seem too small in it.

settingchoice.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
This is a tough one, but I'm gonna have to vote for the .79 I/SI2 if eye-clean. The idealscope is better, and a "K" would be a bit warm (for me) in a ring, though in a pendant, I bet it'd be beautiful. I have an I and it's perfect amount of warmth, IMO...just a tinge! Sure, the K would look a *tiny* bit larger (if you're comparing it to a .79, otherwise, I doubt it'd be noticeable) but I'd sacrifice those parts of a millimeter for a whiter color, especially if it's going into a halo!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebree - can you not sleep girl?
9.gif
24.gif

The only thing that would concern me is the dark marks on the right of that SI2 but if WF says it is clean then great choice, just make sure they eyeball it for you if you go for it. With the setting, well I'm a Tiffany sort of girl myself...
3.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ebree and Lorelei! I think you've both hit on my two oscillating points!
9.gif
I appreciate your opinions very much
1.gif

So you don't think these look too deep right?

ETA: Lorelei, I've asked WF about these and how they face up in the past, but I can't find the emails, so I'm asking them again!
5.gif
But I'm pretty sure they said they faced up nice.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the setting is fairly closed on the sides... the K should do fine in it. For an open setting, I might vote otherwise - unless you like the slight tint for what it is...or would go for yellow prongs.

My 2c...

I so like your design! Hope it works out
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''d say it really depends on the setting you''re going to choose.

If you are going to go with the halo design, I''d pick the I-colored stone. Most melee is F/G, and it would tend to accentuate the differences between the center and the melee.

If you go for the solitaire, the K is a good possibility.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''m partial to K''s. For me, I wanted the biggest size for the buck. The K would be awesome in my opinion! Call Whiteflash and have them compare the two.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''ve talked to WF, they say both are beautiful stones. The .79 I/SI2 does have an inclusion visible at 8cm, but not visible at 25cm. It faces up white, has great brilliance and is good on colored light return also.

The .903 K/VS2 is eye clean. It also faces up white, has great brilliance and color light return. I asked about seeing color from the sides of the stone, she said you might be able to see a slight hint, but not very noticeable.

So for $500 more I''d be getting a cleaner diamond and a slightly larger diamond. But I''d also be getting a lower color grade. I''m just curious if anyone has anymore thoughts!!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
WF''s website says that the girdle on the .903ct is thin-slightly thick. But the sarin says medium-slightly thick. Is this getting to be too big of a girdle?

sarin_AGS-6640506.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I''ve put together photos mainly to compare the idealscope images. Which one do you like more. The K seems to be more symetrical, but the I seems to be darker overall.

stonecomparison.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the color between the two IS images is not as important as what is going on within each. they both look awesome. no doubt you would be happy with either. i''ll have to admit, i am drawn to the contrast leakage present with the ''k'' but for an open setting in an ering, i would choose the ''i'' color.
2.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Well I had that K/Vs2 sitting in my wishlist until I finally admitted it was over our budget... so I''m obviously going to pick the K!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I''m still going to go with the "I". I don''t even think I can SEE my diamond at 8cm (can anyone? It all goes incredibly fuzzy before that) so I doubt the small inclusion would be a problem. If it bothers you, though, that''s what''s important. The "K" would be too warm for me. If that doesn''t bother you, then it''s a toss up!
10.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Have you come closer to a setting decision? If the tiffany solitaire, then the K might work really well. If the halo, I'd go for the "I"..the halo will add size anyway!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 12:53:56 AM
Author: EBree
Have you come closer to a setting decision? If the tiffany solitaire, then the K might work really well. If the halo, I''d go for the ''I''..the halo will add size anyway!

Actually I''m thinking of another setting now!
1.gif
Basically it''s a solitaire, but it''s a 4 prong buttercup head (which I guess is the Stuller Solstice head) and a knife-edge band. I really like the head Gonzodog''s ring (see HERE ) and I like the classic knife-edge on a tiffany solitaire. So combine them and you get something like this!
3.gif

buttercuptiffany.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 12:50:34 AM
Author: EBree
I''m still going to go with the ''I''. I don''t even think I can SEE my diamond at 8cm (can anyone? It all goes incredibly fuzzy before that) so I doubt the small inclusion would be a problem. If it bothers you, though, that''s what''s important. The ''K'' would be too warm for me. If that doesn''t bother you, then it''s a toss up!
10.gif

Haha, Ebree, I know! When they told me that I held up one of my earings 8cm from my face and I can''t see anything! And that close it''s so blurry that even if there was a huge inclusion I doubt I could point it out
2.gif
I am leaning towards the K right now though...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The K is slightly better cut.
Are you ok with warmth in some lighting?
In a lot of lighting it would be nice and sparky and not noticeable but in others it will be.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 5:35:06 AM
Author: strmrdr
The K is slightly better cut.

Are you ok with warmth in some lighting?

In a lot of lighting it would be nice and sparky and not noticeable but in others it will be.

The truth is I don''t know if I would be. I think I would be. But I haven''t had the experience of seeing an ideal cut K stone in person. I am willing to try it out though! I''d really like to give this stone a "test run".

Strmrdr out of curiousity, what is it about the K that you say is the better cut? Is it because of the idealscope or the #s?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results