shape
carat
color
clarity

OH NO!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just finished my inspection of my wedding band for today and spotted something that I don''t know if it''s a chip or if it''s just a poorly polished edge...I am assuming chip because this stone has a very very very thin girdle. It''s right next to a prong as well...I snapped some photos, the good old loupe to macrolens method. Here''s one.

What do you think? Im going to send this to Denise as well to see what she thinks. I can''t see squat at 10x and this is a 30x magnification. I think that it''s happened in the last 3 days if it''s anything. I didn''t wear it yesterday or today, nor did I inspect it yesterday. I didn''t look at it very long Friday but I wore it all day and fear I could have whacked it on something or when I "slam" my engagement ring on to stack sometimes it hits it at an angle. Not that I figure that could really have done this.

I dunno...look at these and tell me if you see anything worth freaking out about.

amechip1.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
the other. I think I zoomed my macro in a little more on the other one

amechip2.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame I don''t know what it is...but if the stone is chipped, that is probably just a part of natural wear. our appraiser told us over time that diamonds get tiny nicks and chips in them. if you needed 40x mag to see it, maybe that is what it is. i know you are a bit protective about your rings, but you HAVE to understand that over time your wear will probably case normal wear and tear. it''s just the way it is. encase the stones in bezels otherwise you may get some chips.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea I know that. It just looked so irregular that I worried what I could have done. I realize over time Ill beat them up but considering how little I really wear them and how long I have even had this...it seems too soon to have this happening...

Slightly closer up

amechip3.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I can''t actually see what you''re pointing to, but could it be a natural on the girdle that you never noticed before?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I can''t see anything either. It looks fine to me. I''m sorry this causes you so much anxiety. I don''t imagine it''s very fun to worry this much. Really, I honestly don''t see anything.

rainbow

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure what you are looking at either, rather than a circle, can you draw an arrow?

I can see one area that looks like a chip but I''m pretty sure it''s only a dark reflection from the metal, but perhaps you''re looking at something else.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look at the right prong, the one that''s at like 3 o''clock. Its that area right there. Just to the left of that prong.

Its curved then goes "straight". My husband doesn''t see what Im talking about either.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame,
Yes please draw an arrow to it, cause I can''t see it either.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here ya go, does this help?

amechip3arrow.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried to draw a line to show the shape, goes from curved like usual to a straight "chop" or something.

outlineamechip.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame,
I see now what you are referring to, but to me it doesn''t look like a chip, but rather the edge of the girdle has been worn down, so it doesn''t have that polished look to it. Part of it looks frosty as the other side is fine, so I can''t say what caused this. Lesley will be able to answer your questions I''m sure.
2.gif

rainbow

Rough_Rock
Well, I admit I''m no expert, but I don''t think there''s anything there.

I think it might just be the angle you are looking at it.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I don''t loupe my shared prong eternity bands...Why?????? Becasue tiny nicks and chips are bound to occur and if you think/fixate on them, you WILL go insane.
37.gif
I know your band is VERY new and this is distrubing to you, but if there is a microscopic chip ( and I don''t see anyting either but pictures are hard to read), it''s normal wear & tear.

The ering stone--yes--shouldn''t really chip/wear for a VERY long time, never if you''re careful enough. But melee in a shared prong setting worn with another ring, flush or not...well...
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok assuming denise doesn''t find it a reason to send it in, I will let it go till I spot something serious. I actually noticed it looking ''face down" at it with the stones face up at me.

Either way. If she doesn''t think it''s worth sweating Ill let it be for now.
Thanks!

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2005 10:20:44 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
The ering stone--yes--shouldn''t really chip/wear for a VERY long time, never if you''re careful enough.

Well, I guess unless your ME. LOL!

AME - I think it''s fine. Yes, something may have happened to make it look like that - but it took your higher powered loupe to see it clearly.

That probably.. well not probably - that won''t affect the performance of the stone significantly -- and I think it''s currently too small of an issue to warrant replacment.

Your band is so sparkely - no one (except you) will notice something like that. For pete''s sake - my husband had a hard time seeing the CHUNK that was missing in my stone. Why - because the light reflected back makes it hard to focus on the edge of the stone - so know that your ring is normal and is just fine.

1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heard from Denise. I might talk to Brian about it tomorrow and see what he thinks. This particular stone has an extremely thin girdle so I just think I whacked it on something and because none of the other stones are having problems, it could just be damage to that one stone. We'll see what Brian says I guess.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ame,

I hate to hear about your ring! I don;t even look at mine that close! I know mine is scratched here and there. Hope all is well at your new home.
21.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
House is good. Needs to be cleaned :)

I will find out for sure tomorrow what to do about it. I don''t know if its going to cost a lot to replace that one stone, but shipping sure sucks.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

The ering stone--yes--shouldn''t really chip/wear for a VERY long time, never if you''re careful enough. But melee in a shared prong setting worn with another ring, flush or not...well...
2.gif
Mine''s not shared, it''s a 4 prong setting for each individual stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame how recessed into the middle are your stones? mine have no overhang at all so i can''t imagine the stones being exposed! but yours look a bit more exposed?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2005 10:59:46 PM
Author: ame

2.gif
Mine''s not shared, it''s a 4 prong setting for each individual stone.
That''s even better...mine are 20 pt stones in shared prongs and they are def. more exposed.

Put the loupe away. Ignorance is bliss.
37.gif
2.gif
1.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
ame,

I see what you are saying about the stone shape being round and then straight, but I don''t think it''s anything major. You can hardlly even see it with such high magnification. It should be okay.

I agree with Jennifer. Ignorance is bliss.
1.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2005 11:27:25 PM
Author: Mara
ame how recessed into the middle are your stones? mine have no overhang at all so i can't imagine the stones being exposed! but yours look a bit more exposed?
Mine are very close to the edge but I don't think they overhang. The metal towards the uh inside (closer to the finger itself) is kind of tapered out, think flare jeans, how they are flared out at the ankle and more straight at the knee. So it really doesn't hit anything else unless it's crooked or something. Which happens a lot.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Oh ame! I know you''re freaking out, but I wouldn''t worry! How many points are the stones in your wedding band? Do they still sparkle?! As long as all the stones sparkle nicely and aren''t obviously flawed to the naked eye, I would definitely not worry! I''m with Jen- put the loupe away!!
9.gif
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I third that one re ditching the loupe...you will slowly drive yourself nuts with this stuff. Even if the stone is chipped, does it really matter??? If it still sparkles I wouldn''t throw money at it, you will get more of these over time it would seem like.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Possibly. I just don''t want to let it go and find out later when I do more damage that it could have been prevented.

I sent it in today for inspection. We''ll see what they tell me.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
>!!!!UPDATE!!!![/b]

Well, they have received and inspected my ring. I now have two options:
1) turn the stone to cover the chip (not sure if there''s a cost associated with this)
2) replace the stone (I pay for this and shipping, not an unreasonable price or request either, I did the damage)

I asked Denise about her thoughts on it... I don''t really know what''s a better idea.
- If we swap it for a new one, is there any guarantee that the girdle will be thicker and prevent this from happening
again?
- If we turn it will this happen again?

- What could have made this chip?
- Is it the girdle''s thickness or was there enough force to do it?

Any thoughts?
35.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Response from Vera at WF:

Hello Ame,

There is no guarantee either way. Chips, cracks, and even breakage
happen because of a hit. Door handles, brick walls, there are all sorts
of hazards out there when diamonds are worn. A thicker girdle can just
as easily be chipped, if you hit it just right. Diamonds rubbing
next to each other can cause damage, dropping a stone or a ring on the
floor can cause damage. They are very susceptible to chips even though
the perception is that they are very hard.

We look forward to your reply.

First, I gotta say their customer service is TOP NOTCH.

Second...what are your thoughts.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I say turn it.

Why? Because the next time a chip happens you won''t feel bad that you "just replaced" a whole stone, and "now this"!

Since it''s something that can be covered by a prong - then take advantage. You can always replace later.

Unless replacing it is the same amount - I say turn it.
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results