shape
carat
color
clarity

Obama Sex Ed Ad

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 9:54:41 AM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Date: 9/17/2008 9:51:38 AM
Author: IndyGirl22
No, I don''t think it is or it wouldn''t have even been an issue regarding Obama. I think PARENTS can be free to teach their kids whatever they want depending on their own value system, but if and when I have a 5 year old child *I* want to be the one controlling what they learn, not the government. I have no problem with children learning to stay away from strangers/potential sexual predators generally (and I think most schools still teach this), but I don''t think it''s necessary that they learn about how babies are conceived to do so. I mean, how many kindergarteners will comprehend the complex stuff anyway? I know grown adults who don''t comprehend it!
2.gif
Once they get older and become older, of course, I think it''s much more acceptable because they have the cognitive ability to understand the material.

I agree with you..sexual predators, bad touching, sure..I have no problem with schools teaching them about that. But masturbation? Everyone is a ''sexual being?'' Um...NO?
6.gif
38.gif
Haha I guess it just depends where you''re coming from in life and what your own parents/family did. I definitely don''t agree with SIECUS guidelines...they are too detailed for 5 year olds IMHO. I remember being so young and the teacher showing us the whole "anywhere the swimsuit covers is a bad touch" lesson. I think that was very well-tailored to my young mind. At that age I didn''t need to know how sperm was made, I just needed to know when to alert my parents or other trustworthy adult about inappropriate behavior by others. "Age appropriate" is such a vague term, no wonder Obama got flack for it.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I feel like if parents have a problem with it and are given the option to opt-out, they simply should. If people do not think the opt-out option is very well known, they should push to have that information advertised. However, I personally do not think a child will end up all screwed in the head from learning about sex early. They certainly learn about violence early (people call it entertainment) which I think is a lot worse. I do know there are some parents that a) do not care about their kids so all of their education comes from school, b) too screwed up on drugs to care about the kids, and c) just as ignorant as their children and would benefit from sex ed themselves.

Perhaps people can sit down and define "age appropriate" in a way that can make the majority happy. But we NEED sex education. I can not believe how many teenage girls have preventable STDs. Just because people don''t want to talk about it doesn''t mean it''s not happening.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 7:00:23 PM
Author: MoonWater
I feel like if parents have a problem with it and are given the option to opt-out, they simply should. If people do not think the opt-out option is very well known, they should push to have that information advertised. However, I personally do not think a child will end up all screwed in the head from learning about sex early. They certainly learn about violence early (people call it entertainment) which I think is a lot worse. I do know there are some parents that a) do not care about their kids so all of their education comes from school, b) too screwed up on drugs to care about the kids, and c) just as ignorant as their children and would benefit from sex ed themselves.

Perhaps people can sit down and define 'age appropriate' in a way that can make the majority happy. But we NEED sex education. I can not believe how many teenage girls have preventable STDs. Just because people don't want to talk about it doesn't mean it's not happening.
Maybe they should've just had a vote on it...I mean, if enough parents/citizens have a problem with it they should probably modify the program before it starts a la the democratic process if the majority will opt out anyway. I do agree that many parents don't care what/how their children learn about sex, drugs, violence, etc.; very sad indeed. We weren't even allowed to watch KISSING on TV when I was younger and violent movies were a no-no as well. I agree some sort of sex education needs to take place in the schools, but I (and probably a lot of others) would prefer a more scaled back version than SIECUS provides for in the very early years. And yes, what exactly is "age appropriate" and who would decide its meaning? Very difficult decision...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results