color
clarity

NYT live election forecast

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1478707993|4095825 said:
Video: https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/videos/1220171848072937/

This was absolutely about race. To say that racism didn't win is a flat out lie. It's sad. So so fu<king sad. The rest of the world is literally shaking their heads.
If that was true then we wouldn't have elected our first AA Prez. 2 X. The Dems. can blame the lost for whatever reasons. Don't for get that they also got their ass kicked in the house and senate.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1478708752|4095830 said:

This was absolutely about race. To say that racism didn't win is a flat out lie. It's sad. So so fu<king sad. The rest of the world is literally shaking their heads.
If that was true then we wouldn't have elected our first AA Prez. 2 X. The Dems. can blame the lost for whatever reasons. Don't for get that they also got their a$$ kicked in the house and senate.
Did you watch the video?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1478708852|4095833 said:

If that was true then we wouldn't have elected our first AA Prez. 2 X. The Dems. can blame the lost for whatever reasons. Don't for get that they also got their a$$ kicked in the house and senate.
Did you watch the video?
No, I am not a member of FB. The Dems are just making excuses after excuses for losing.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1478709084|4095834 said:
telephone89|1478708852|4095833 said:

Did you watch the video?
No, I don't need to. The Dems are just making excuses after excuses for losing.
Ok lol.

Well it's not an excuse. It's about how whites were tired of a black person telling them what to do. How whites were tired of immigrants 'taking their jobs' while working towards a better life. How whites fed into the anti-muslim hysteria. It absolutely IS about race. Your country has shown just how racist it is. Your country is not the same as 4 years ago, that is for sure. It has regressed exponentially. What was possible 4 or 8 years ago is no longer possible. Your country is absolutely racist.

eta - nice edit haha. You don't need to be a member of FB to watch it. But nice try.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1478709305|4095836 said:
Your country has shown just how racist it is. Your country is not the same as 4 years ago, that is for sure. It has regressed exponentially. What was possible 4 or 8 years ago is no longer possible. Your country is absolutely racist.

eta - nice edit haha. You don't need to be a member of FB to watch it. But nice try.

Reading this, I'm reminded what they say about 'opinions'. :roll:

If you don't live in the U.S., how exactly do you know with certainty any of those things to be true? Or are you basing your opinions on the opinions of others you read/hear about? :eh:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS T-89: when I click the link, I also get a "content no longer available" error message.

And I AM on FB. :wavey:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478709768|4095838 said:
telephone89|1478709305|4095836 said:
Your country has shown just how racist it is. Your country is not the same as 4 years ago, that is for sure. It has regressed exponentially. What was possible 4 or 8 years ago is no longer possible. Your country is absolutely racist.

Reading this, I'm reminded what they say about 'opinions'. :roll:

If you don't live in the U.S., how exactly do you know with certainty any of those things to be true? Or are you basing your opinions on the opinions of others you read/hear about? :eh:
Thanks for the note about the video, I'll try to find another link. It worked earlier when I clicked on it (not logged in to FB).

I'm not in the US. I am also not going to be in the US for a very long time now haha. I have friends and family there though. Some of my Hs family is down there. They are muslim. They are terrified. I have a friend taking a PHD program down there. She sees it every day, though is luckily sheltered from most if by being in high end academia. It is scary for them, and it is scary for me to see people that I love so terrified of their own country, and the _____ they've elected.

edit - boo, it's been removed.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1478710273|4095840 said:
I'm not in the US. I am also not going to be in the US for a very long time now haha. I have friends and family there though. Some of my Hs family is down there. They are muslim. They are terrified. I have a friend taking a PHD program down there. She sees it every day, though is luckily sheltered from most if by being in high end academia. It is scary for them, and it is scary for me to see people that I love so terrified of their own country, and the _____ they've elected.

edit - boo, it's been removed.

Not to downplay in any way how your friends & family may feel (they're certainly entitled to their feelings and I'm sorry they feel the way they do), but you don't know these things to be true and factual about our country as a whole; you're making statements based on others' opinions. And that's your prerogative, but if we don't judge an entire race by the actions of a few, if we don't judge an entire political party by one of its candidates, if we don't judge an entire religion based on a couple 'extremists', then we also should not judge an entire country by a few 'bad eggs'.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478710868|4095844 said:
Not to downplay in any way how your friends & family may feel (they're certainly entitled to their feelings and I'm sorry they feel the way they do), but you don't know these things to be true and factual about our country as a whole; you're making statements based on others' opinions. And that's your prerogative, but if we don't judge an entire race by the actions of a few, if we don't judge an entire political party by one of its candidates, if we don't judge an entire religion based on a couple 'extremists', then we also should not judge an entire country by a few 'bad eggs'.
*shrug* This is apparently what the people wanted. How is not fair to judge the country based on who they voted in? Yes, not all people voted for him (and it looks like Clinton is winning the popular vote I think?), but electing someone to represent you is pretty big stuff. So saying YES to someone who degrades women, saying YES to someone who hates a whole religion, saying YES to someone who hates immigrants - that is what the USA has shown to the rest of the world. That is the mirror they are holding up. I may not be able to judge each individual citizen, but I, and the rest of the world, can certainly judge a country for electing this person.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1478711143|4095846 said:
*shrug* This is apparently what the people wanted. How is not fair to judge the country based on who they voted in? Yes, not all people voted for him (and it looks like Clinton is winning the popular vote I think?), but electing someone to represent you is pretty big stuff. So saying YES to someone who degrades women, saying YES to someone who hates a whole religion, saying YES to someone who hates immigrants - that is what the USA has shown to the rest of the world. That is the mirror they are holding up. I may not be able to judge each individual citizen, but I, and the rest of the world, can certainly judge a country for electing this person.

I think you should read what Siv wrote about the things Trump says in the other "day after thoughts" thread. I think he/she (apologize I don't know Siv's gender to properly reference) explained what a lot of people feel about the things Trump says, and why they give him the benefit of the doubt, so to speak. What a lot of people seem to forget is he is NOT a politician (well, now he is), but he represented what a lot of people in this country were tired of ... scripted promises that were delivered by career politicians (on both sides). Trump is the polar opposite of that, he doesn't speak "politician-ese"; he doesn't sugarcoat things; he's not polished and perfect courtesy of decades of focus groups telling him how to talk, what to say, how to dress, and how much spray tan to use. And he has F'd up a couple times - he is human; who hasn't made mistakes?

I know a TON of people who staunchly supported him from day one, and these people are NOT racists, bigots, or whatever other label you want to throw on them; they do NOT want to 'shove Suzy back in the kitchen' vs. the corner office, they do NOT want to see minorities lynched, and they do NOT want to see our country looked down upon by others. They are good, hardworking, honest, every-day Janes & Joes who DO want to feel like they matter to this government at least as much as those who don't pay taxes here yet call the U.S. home; they want to have a TRULY EQUAL opportunity in this country based on the 'best person for the job' and not based on what box can get checked off; they WANT to see a US economy flourish and an increase is good paying FULL TIME jobs; they want the freedom to practice their beliefs (religious or in how they choose to manage their family roles) without judgment & persecution; they want to see a restoration in the concept of being rewarded with success for hard work vs. being given things for free that they - by virtue of paying taxes - have to pay for; and they are people who have served this country and subsequently feel used & abused and/or want to see our country's veterans start taking a front vs. back seat to caring for the world's "safe space" for non-citizens.

But I don't suppose you've talked to any of those people to hear how they feel about living life in the U.S.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478710868|4095844 said:

Telephone, I can completely understand why you feel like you feel. I live here and can't believe what has happened and yes it makes me extremely sad. I'm so sick of people making excuses for Trump. He knows exactly what he is saying and you can bet those are his truly feelings. I never thought I would see the day when a racist, sex offender was elected the president of our country. He showed us all exactly who is and this country voted for him. Anyone down playing what he has been saying all along in mind must feel like he does. If you didn't agree with him you would have not voted at all for president and voted your party for the other offices. That isn't what happened here. They voted for Trump. Wow says an awful lot about racism and our country.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478713019|4095852 said:

I think you should read what Siv wrote about the things Trump says in the other "day after thoughts" thread. I think he/she (apologize I don't know Siv's gender to properly reference) explained what a lot of people feel about the things Trump says, and why they give him the benefit of the doubt, so to speak. What a lot of people seem to forget is he is NOT a politician (well, now he is), but he represented what a lot of people in this country were tired of ... scripted promises that were delivered by career politicians (on both sides). Trump is the polar opposite of that, he doesn't speak "politician-ese"; he doesn't sugarcoat things; he's not polished and perfect courtesy of decades of focus groups telling him how to talk, what to say, how to dress, and how much spray tan to use. And he has F'd up a couple times - he is human; who hasn't made mistakes?

I know a TON of people who staunchly supported him from day one, and these people are NOT racists, bigots, or whatever other label you want to throw on them; they do NOT want to 'shove Suzy back in the kitchen' vs. the corner office, they do NOT want to see minorities lynched, and they do NOT want to see our country looked down upon by others. They are good, hardworking, honest, every-day Janes & Joes who DO want to feel like they matter to this government at least as much as those who don't pay taxes here yet call the U.S. home; they want to have a TRULY EQUAL opportunity in this country based on the 'best person for the job' and not based on what box can get checked off; they WANT to see a US economy flourish and an increase is good paying FULL TIME jobs; they want the freedom to practice their beliefs (religious or in how they choose to manage their family roles) without judgment & persecution; they want to see a restoration in the concept of being rewarded with success for hard work vs. being given things for free that they - by virtue of paying taxes - have to pay for; and they are people who have served this country and subsequently feel used & abused and/or want to see our country's veterans start taking a front vs. back seat to caring for the world's "safe space" for non-citizens.

But I don't suppose you've talked to any of those people to hear how they feel about living life in the U.S.

Like Donald Trump, for instance? {Editing note -- this is in reference to the bold above.}

Lots of other questions about what you've written above, like who is persecuting who in this country for how they manage their families? Where does that happen?

And, the world can have it in judging us as far as I see it. What's done is done. A man's words, all of them, not just the ones we want to hear, tell us who he is.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1478669886|4095690 said:
redwood66|1478669085|4095681 said:
I guess the coming together won't start here on PS.

I don't think it will, red :(sad

There are ideologies I honestly just don't understand, so fundamentally that I wouldn't know where to start. The amount of racism, sexism, genuine hatred that have been central to everything surrounding Trump and his campaign from the beginning is just too much for me to want to stomach or condone. And whilst it would probably behoove me to vote conservatively from a fiscal perspective... I have never been able to look past a social ticket.

This really is Brexit Part II.

This, exactly. I wish we could see a middle ground, but I'm afraid we are talking about issues that both sides fundamentally, to their core being, believe in. That will make it very hard to come together.

I am hopeful that Trump will surround himself with good, smart capable advisors - people with perhaps more compassion, or concern for others, than Trump appears to have.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478713019|4095852 said:

You are partially right. I don't really know ANY trump supporters. So no, I haven't talked to these people about how they feel. I've only spoken to the ones who will be hurt by this administration, not the ones who will benefit. I have 2 trump supporters on FB. 1 is already incredibly racist and really a terrible person. TBH I don't know why I still have him on there. I've discussed him before. The other, just recently came out of the woodwork. I thought she is a nice girl. After his win, she posted some pretty racist things. She is a Canadian, but her H is American. They winter down there. I wouldn't have expected it from her. So my opinion is VERY skewed, and I do give you that.

You mention freedom of religion - this is only freedom for Christianity. This is not the same.
You mention military - I've also a few friends in higher ranking positions who are considering resigning. They don't want to be sent into whatever random WW3 Trump decides to start. They think he is dangerous. They are grappling with this decision, and feel like they would be abandoning their country. But they don't want to support his policies either.

About what Siv wrote - I couldn't take it seriously. S/he said 'we knew what he meant when he said build a wall, it meant X' - no he f*cking said mexico is going to pay for this wall. 'we knew what he meant when he said Y', etc. Perhaps I am naïve, but I take what people say at face value - I don't try to dissect it to suit my needs or make it more palatable. He didn't say any of what s/he interpreted, so no, I don't think that's a great comparison.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1478713995|4095853 said:
Telephone, I can completely understand why you feel like you feel. I live here and can't believe what has happened and yes it makes me extremely sad. I'm so sick of people making excuses for Trump. He knows exactly what he is saying and you can bet those are his truly feelings. I never thought I would see the day when a racist, sex offender was elected the president of our country. He showed us all exactly who is and this country voted for him. Anyone down playing what he has been saying all along in mind must feel like he does. If you didn't agree with him you would have not voted at all for president and voted your party for the other offices. That isn't what happened here. They voted for Trump. Wow says an awful lot about racism and our country.

Ahhh more tolerance and respect for others' feelings & experiences. :roll: It's not YOUR job to tell anyone how/why they should vote; did you 100% unwaveringly agree with EVERY . SINGLE . THING Hillary said/did in her lifetime? Doubtful!

These sorts of comments and behavior is exactly the type of hypocrisy that fueled a lot of people to support Trump to the win - that's constructive feedback your party should take to heart. Like it or not, his supporters have as equal a right to their feelings as you do to yours, and just because you say/think something about him does NOT make you right and them wrong, or vice versa.

Even Hillary managed to display class & grace in her concession speech this morning. :roll:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Appreciate your posts, Jenn.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I didn't read all the posts in this thread. It is too painful for me right now.

There is one thing that I want to say.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry that I lived in my liberal elite bubble where I thought that the country as a whole was doing better in the 8 years under Democrats, when it really hasn't been that rosy for many people. I'm sorry that I ignored and perhaps even looked with disdain at people who were on the right. I'm sorry that so many people felt so disenfranchised by the current regime that they feel they need a change.

I have to believe that most people who voted for Trump aren't bigots, misogynists, xenophobes, or racists. I have to believe that because I believe that people are inherently good.

I'm so sorry. I never listened. I didn't know. And I promise that I will try to do better.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1478715891|4095871 said:
Appreciate your posts, Jenn.

Thanks Anna. :wavey:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Callie. Such a terrible outcome. To say that you voted for him because of his policies and he just 'happens' to be a racist/misogynistic/xenophobic ******* is a poor excuse lol.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478715505|4095867 said:

Ahhh more tolerance and respect for others' feelings & experiences. :roll: It's not YOUR job to tell anyone how/why they should vote; did you 100% unwaveringly agree with EVERY . SINGLE . THING Hillary said/did in her lifetime? Doubtful!

These sorts of comments and behavior is exactly the type of hypocrisy that fueled a lot of people to support Trump to the win - that's constructive feedback your party should take to heart. Like it or not, his supporters have as equal a right to their feelings as you do to yours, and just because you say/think something about him does NOT make you right and them wrong, or vice versa.

Even Hillary managed to display class & grace in her concession speech this morning. :roll:

JCJ: Not sure I understand what you are saying? Would you mind rephrasing? I'm really struggling to understand here... TIA :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMC|1478716289|4095873 said:

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry that I lived in a my liberal elite bubble where I thought that the country as a whole was doing better in the 8 years under Democrats, when it really hasn't been that rosy for many people. I'm sorry that I ignored and perhaps even looked with disdain at people who were on the right. I'm sorry that so many people felt so disenfranchised by the current regime that they feel they need a change.

I have to believe that most people who voted for Trump aren't bigots, misogynists, xenophobes, or racists. I have to believe that because I believe that people are inherently good.

I'm so sorry. I never listened. I didn't know. And I promise that I will try to do better.

I totally agree with the bolded part. I apparently live on the fringe (ha ha, literally on the West Coast) and feel completely disconnected/out of touch with a huge portion of the U.S. I'd like to understand, I really would.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1478717151|4095882 said:
SMC|1478716289|4095873 said:

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry that I lived in a my liberal elite bubble where I thought that the country as a whole was doing better in the 8 years under Democrats, when it really hasn't been that rosy for many people. I'm sorry that I ignored and perhaps even looked with disdain at people who were on the right. I'm sorry that so many people felt so disenfranchised by the current regime that they feel they need a change.

I totally agree with the bolded part. I apparently live on the fringe (ha ha, literally on the West Coast) and feel completely disconnected/out of touch with a huge portion of the U.S. I'd like to understand, I really would.

Thanks to you both for having an open mind and looking for unity instead of calling half of Americans terrible names. We all have much to learn.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1478715505|4095867 said:

Oh please, Trump has shown the world exactly who he is. People who voted for him support him. End of story. If you believe racism is wrong, you don't vote for a racist.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes thank you for your comments SMC and minousbijoux. I think the conservatives here on PS have tried to tell others how we feel but were met with "racist, all the other ists" comments with regard to Trump. But you did not really listen to us and obviously many others as to what issues were important to them. He flipped at least 5 blue states. Those people voted for Obama in the last two elections so they can hardly be called racists or other things. I know this is hard for many of you and you are grieving. Hopefully you can look beyond and do what Obama and Clinton asked you to do this morning. I refuse to believe that nearly 60 million people voted for Trump because they are racist.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Well it's not an excuse. It's about how whites were tired of a black person telling them what to do. How whites were tired of immigrants 'taking their jobs' while working towards a better life. How whites fed into the anti-muslim hysteria. It absolutely IS about race. Your country has shown just how racist it is. Your country is not the same as 4 years ago, that is for sure. It has regressed exponentially. What was possible 4 or 8 years ago is no longer possible. Your country is absolutely racist.

Was it about race 8 years ago when black people voted for Obama simply because he was black?

For a majority, whether people here want to accept it or not, it was about change. Anything but a repeat of the last 8 years.

Personally I did not vote for President. I did what the governor of Massachusetts did. I voted for everything but President. No I am not a Trump fan, but I just could not vote for her either.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1478718970|4095917 said:

Was it about race 8 years ago when black people voted for Obama simply because he was black?

For a majority, whether people here want to accept it or not, it was about change. Anything but a repeat of the last 8 years.

Personally I did not vote for President. I did what the governor of Massachusetts did. I voted for everything but President. No I am not a Trump fan, but I just could not vote for her either.
Yup, things are going to change. :lol: :lol:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1478719117|4095920 said:

You are from outside the country.

But apparently those who live in the US were willing to take a chance

And since he has been elected, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1478719425|4095927 said:

Yup, I'm a foreigner. My country is also directly affected if he nixes NAFTA. You don't exist in a bubble.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1478720032|4095936 said:
ruby59|1478719425|4095927 said:

Yup, I'm a foreigner. My country is also directly affected if he nixes NAFTA. You don't exist in a bubble.

Was NAFTA a good deal for those in the US? I would have to do some reading on it.

But he said something last night I do agree with.

He will work with other countries but he has to put the interests of our country first.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1478716954|4095880 said:
JCJ: Not sure I understand what you are saying? Would you mind rephrasing? I'm really struggling to understand here... TIA :wavey:

:wavey: Sure! And thank you - sincerely - for asking me to explain my comment vs. hurling rocks at me. :)

Callie's Comment:
Anyone down playing what he has been saying all along in mind must feel like he does. If you didn't agree with him you would have not voted at all for president and voted your party for the other offices. That isn't what happened here. They voted for Trump. Wow says an awful lot about racism and our country.

My point was - I didn't and don't agree 100% with everything "Trump", just like I doubt anyone agreed 100% with everything "Clinton". Thus, it's a poor & unfair judgment to label an individual or group of individuals as racists, etc. for how they chose to vote simply because you don't agree with them. I don't recall anyone on here calling Hillary supporters "liars" and "anti-LGBT" because HRC lied and took money for her foundation from countries that oppress LGBTs.

Secondly, it's not anyone's job to tell someone else how they should vote, which is what her comment suggested (to me, at least) ... it's suppression and/or suggestion that I should have voted differently if I didn't agree with Trump. I didn't align with Trump on everything, but I aligned FAR less with HRC. And that decision had absolutely ZILCH to do with HRC being a woman, anyone's ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or me 'wanting to oppress anyone' in those ways, and it definitely doesn't mean I shouldn't cast a vote for CINC; it had EVERYTHING to do with my feeling that HRC was absolutely untrustworthy, and my preference to see more conservative judges appointed to the SCOTUS.

Lastly, my further comment re: the 'constructive feedback' is this: in my conversations with many conservative friends, one of the prevailing complaints I/they have (and I have repeatedly experienced on this very forum) is the hypocritical treatment by some on the left - who claim to want 'tolerance' and 'respect' for certain groups - but don't offer those very things when there are political or other differences of opinion. And this thread is a perfect example - repeated baseless assumptions/allegations that those on the right are racists, misogynists, bigots, etc. simply because they voted for Trump. Newsflash - I/they are not all of those things (random 'bad apples' excluded of course); and it doesn't mean I don't support women. We simply have different perspectives, experiences, views, and priorities that sway us to feel one way and someone else another. But NONE of those justifies the labels. If you (collectively, not 'you' MB) want labels to stop, 'you' need to stop throwing them out when they are not truly justified; someone said earlier "words matter" ... but words sure don't seem to matter much when they some (on here) toss accusations at those on the right.

It's the golden rule, and the "us vs. them" mentality of this election (on both sides) has buried it so deep into the armpits of discourse that I think we all forget to apply it to others at times when it's most needed - in the midst of a divided country. If you really want our country to unite together and be "stronger together", let's start by cutting with the careless, baseless, divisive labels - both ways.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results