shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear you "may" be staying an additional night. Yeah insurance companies really don't like it when you actually use them!
My TRAM flap/Mastectomy was a 2 day stay!

As for the scooter, I used it when I was non weight bearing because my upper body strength is pathetic!
It was great for going shopping, and I used it at school, but it was hard maneuvering in between rows of desks, so I rearranged them into groups and that was better.
The scooter also became a much desired reward for the kids( boys mostly). They really loved scooting down the hall. They are middle school so it was ok!! I let 1-2 of them take a quick trip if they had not gotten in trouble that day.
Dust for pain free days quickly!!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Sending up lots more dust for you to heal quickly and completely.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, there are standards utilized for the *legal*(Federal law, even insurance companies toe that line) discharge of patients from the hospital. Here are a few that would work for you:

1. Uncontrolled pain. No patient is to be discharged with uncontrolled pain.

2.Failure to have a bowel movement/pass flatus (gas)/unable to handle urination on their own.

3. High possibility of readmission within 24 hours (hospitals get in trouble/get fined if you are readmitted within 24 hours,it shows you were discharged too soon).

So until you feel able to go home and handle things, go with 1, 2 or 3 or ALL of them.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So.

If they discharge you against your wishes for those reasons, wait a few hours and then head back to that hospital citing uncontrolled pain.

They will admit you OR do more for you to ensure you aren't back in a few more hours.

Do you have a home health nurse coming to your home?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy -- I just spent a month on a knee scooter after a bad sprain. Here is some stuff I wish I'd known before using it:

Get a cushion. Don't wait a day. Get one NOW. It may feel cushy and okay at first, but my knee/shin were bruised very badly within the first couple of days.

Be careful on even slight hills. The brakes on mine had stop and go. Slowing was not really an option and it was scary sometimes.

Watch for cracks in sidewalks and stuff. If the front wheel stops and you are still moving, you will go over :nono:

The button to collapse it was nice but I couldn't push it very easily. I found that using a screwdriver to push made it much easier. (actually it was one of those multi-tip things so I left the tip off and just had a flat ended metal stick)

It is a pain in the backside to put the scooter in the back of the car and hop on one foot up to the driver's seat. I never did find a good solution to this. It did help to keep anything I needed with me (like my computer bag) next to the scooter so that I didn't have to hop with it or try to maneuver to get it after getting on the scooter.

You can rent them from medical supply places (mine was $140 per month but the insurance company had a special $40/month rate) or even buy them new (500-600) or used ($250).

Keep your bag light. It gets exhausting carrying anything.

You can stick a reusable grocery bag on one of the handles to carry stuff for you. MUCH easier than you holding it.

Give up coffee/tea or anything in a paper cup with the usual lid. It will spill on you (even 1/3 full) and it does burn...

Plastic cups with a lid/straw worked fine (but hard to steer/brake with only one hand)

Take time to stretch your other leg and back. They can get very sore after using the scooter for a few days.

Anyway, I loved the scooter. It was a huge help when my only other option would have been crutches.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Missy -

I'm glad the surgery went so well. That's most of the battle. And the pain will get better. Your leg has been through a serious trauma, but everything is now back in the right place and will start to get better.

I wasn't surprised to hear that a two-night stay was all the insurance was planning to cover. That's all I got and they had to argue to even get me the second night because the insurance company wanted me discharged within 2 hours of leaving the recovery room after surgery! And it doesn't have anything to do with Obamacare because my ankle break was a year before the Affordable Care Act even went into effect. Insurance companies have guidelines about how long they'll cover hospitalizations for broken ankles without regard to what the patient is actually experiencing.

And once you are home, it will be worthwhile getting the right equipment to make life at home easier. My husband is having mobility issues due to Guillain-Barre syndrome and we got a fold-down tray for his walker so he could carry food and beverages on his own, plus a really cool lightweight walker that doesn't look like the hospital walkers, but opens and closes and folds up really easily taking very little space. The equipment place said they were new items and had just gotten it in. Walkers are more stable than crutches so having both available is a good idea at home. And if you're like me, when they want you to start putting weight on the repaired ankle, they'll have you start by using one crutch on that side, putting only 25% of your weight on it, then graduating to 50% and 75% before you start walking on it (in the boot, of course).

I had the benefit of a really great physical therapist who insisted that once I was allowed to remove the boot for short periods of time, I had to ice my ankle for 10 minutes of every hour that I was awake. No more than 10 minutes, but no less. I had lots of time on my hands and tried as best I could to do that hourly icing. When I went back to the surgeon each time, he couldn't believe how much better the swelling was than the typical patient. My PT is an absolute stickler for getting the inflammation down as soon and as fast as possible to promote full recovery, and icing plus some ibuprofen was the best way to do that. So glad I listened to him.

Hang in there, Missy. Everything will start to improve.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry I didn't see this earlier. There is no way you'd be going home if I were there, missy. There has never been anyone threatened with a discharge that I didn't force the hospital or nursing home to keep. Is there still time or are you already out of there? Enlisting a physician is the easiest route, but there are millions of other ways. I saw that someone else had posted some medical reasons when a hospital cannot discharge. They also cannot send you home if you have nowhere to go.

You might not have a place to stay tonight since your husband is out of town. He left, knowing you couldn't be discharged today. You also do not have a ride home.

By the way, do not worry if he is standing beside you. Let him walk out. Dare them to contradict that he gone once he has left the room. Don't let them threaten you that insurance will make you pay later. You can threaten them with a lawsuit later.

Deb, who is furious!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1404927620|3709839 said:
So.

If they discharge you against your wishes for those reasons, wait a few hours and then head back to that hospital citing uncontrolled pain.

They will admit you OR do more for you to ensure you aren't back in a few more hours.

HSS has no Emergency Room. She should not leave if she hasn't left.

missy-Mentioning a patient's right to be free of uncontrolled pain upon discharge is not a bad idea while you say you have nowhere to go tonight and no ride, however. Also mention that you have an attorney and "The Patient's Bill of Rights" that you saw posted in the hall.

Deb

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1404936317|3709940 said:
So.

missy-Mentioning a patient's right to be free of uncontrolled pain upon discharge is not a bad idea while you say you have nowhere to go tonight and no ride, however. Also mention that you have an attorney and "The Patient's Bill of Rights" that you saw posted in the hall.

Deb

Excellent, roger that. No one at home to handle your pain level, husband on business trip, was not told uncontrolled pain would be an issue to concern himself over.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re what insurance companies cover and discharge:

Insurance companies have their internal policies regarding how long patients will be hospitalized for X, meaning X without complications requiring longer stay.

Uncontrolled pain is a complication requiring longer stay.
Unable to pass gas/bowel movement/urine is a complication requiring longer stay.
No social support at home/no short term nursing facility ready to take patient upon discharge is a complication requiring longer stay.

Just an FYI re insurance/length of stay.

Had you had no complications, your insurance company could try to dictate to a physician how long you were staying in the hospital. With the complication of uncontrolled pain, your physician or hospital administrator tells your insurance company of your change in status(complication) and what the plan is to resolve it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1404936317|3709940 said:
So.

Deb

Deb, if Missy has left HSS and still has tremendous pain, would the next step be to have her DH or parents call the surgeon and raise the roof over the uncontrolled pain on discharge and ask him to admit her back to HSS or ask him what hospital ED he prefer she present herself to with uncontrolled postop pain after discharge from his Surgery Service and HSS? (Any surgeon should not want his postop patients to have to go to other surrounding area hospital EDs for uncontrolled pain.)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys, I am very very nauseous right now so cannot stay and chat right now but just wanted to say they let me stay another night and thank you all for your momma bear protection. Big (((hugs))) to you all and I will be back when I feel less nauseous.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you're still in the hospital!

Zofran, Phenergan. GI cocktail puts nausea down too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1404943283|3710022 said:
Glad you're still in the hospital!

Zofran, Phenergan. GI cocktail puts nausea down too.

Thanks Azstonie. I am on Zofran via IV every 8 hours. Just got another dose but still queasy. I couldn't eat dinner unfortunately but I am not as badly nauseous right now. My surgeon stopped by this evening and said if my nausea wasn't better controlled tomorrow he wanted me to stay at the hospital longer. It hopefully won't come to that.

I am experimenting tonight and only took 5 mg of my oxycodone vs the 15 mg dose and see what happens. Another advantage of being in the hospital.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1404936118|3709939 said:
I am sorry I didn't see this earlier. There is no way you'd be going home if I were there, missy. There has never been anyone threatened with a discharge that I didn't force the hospital or nursing home to keep. Is there still time or are you already out of there? Enlisting a physician is the easiest route, but there are millions of other ways. I saw that someone else had posted some medical reasons when a hospital cannot discharge. They also cannot send you home if you have nowhere to go.

You might not have a place to stay tonight since your husband is out of town. He left, knowing you couldn't be discharged today. You also do not have a ride home.

By the way, do not worry if he is standing beside you. Let him walk out. Dare them to contradict that he gone once he has left the room. Don't let them threaten you that insurance will make you pay later. You can threaten them with a lawsuit later.

Deb, who is furious!

Hi Deb, thank you for your fury. I so appreciate how protective you are because you are so caring. Lovely person all around. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainwood|1404936089|3709938 said:
Missy -

I'm glad the surgery went so well. That's most of the battle. And the pain will get better. Your leg has been through a serious trauma, but everything is now back in the right place and will start to get better.

I wasn't surprised to hear that a two-night stay was all the insurance was planning to cover. That's all I got and they had to argue to even get me the second night because the insurance company wanted me discharged within 2 hours of leaving the recovery room after surgery! And it doesn't have anything to do with Obamacare because my ankle break was a year before the Affordable Care Act even went into effect. Insurance companies have guidelines about how long they'll cover hospitalizations for broken ankles without regard to what the patient is actually experiencing.

And once you are home, it will be worthwhile getting the right equipment to make life at home easier. My husband is having mobility issues due to Guillain-Barre syndrome and we got a fold-down tray for his walker so he could carry food and beverages on his own, plus a really cool lightweight walker that doesn't look like the hospital walkers, but opens and closes and folds up really easily taking very little space. The equipment place said they were new items and had just gotten it in. Walkers are more stable than crutches so having both available is a good idea at home. And if you're like me, when they want you to start putting weight on the repaired ankle, they'll have you start by using one crutch on that side, putting only 25% of your weight on it, then graduating to 50% and 75% before you start walking on it (in the boot, of course).

I had the benefit of a really great physical therapist who insisted that once I was allowed to remove the boot for short periods of time, I had to ice my ankle for 10 minutes of every hour that I was awake. No more than 10 minutes, but no less. I had lots of time on my hands and tried as best I could to do that hourly icing. When I went back to the surgeon each time, he couldn't believe how much better the swelling was than the typical patient. My PT is an absolute stickler for getting the inflammation down as soon and as fast as possible to promote full recovery, and icing plus some ibuprofen was the best way to do that. So glad I listened to him.

Hang in there, Missy. Everything will start to improve.

Thank you rainwood! I hope your dh is doing well and that each day is getting easier.
Thanks for your suggestions and I just ordered a walker tray to carry food and drink when I am home alone. I appreciate all your recommendations and will see if I could do the ice treatment through my bandaging and splint. Not sure I will be able to but I will ask the nurses here if I don't see my doctor tomorrow.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1404931584|3709887 said:
Missy -- I just spent a month on a knee scooter after a bad sprain. Here is some stuff I wish I'd known before using it:

Get a cushion. Don't wait a day. Get one NOW. It may feel cushy and okay at first, but my knee/shin were bruised very badly within the first couple of days.

Be careful on even slight hills. The brakes on mine had stop and go. Slowing was not really an option and it was scary sometimes.

Watch for cracks in sidewalks and stuff. If the front wheel stops and you are still moving, you will go over :nono:

The button to collapse it was nice but I couldn't push it very easily. I found that using a screwdriver to push made it much easier. (actually it was one of those multi-tip things so I left the tip off and just had a flat ended metal stick)

It is a pain in the backside to put the scooter in the back of the car and hop on one foot up to the driver's seat. I never did find a good solution to this. It did help to keep anything I needed with me (like my computer bag) next to the scooter so that I didn't have to hop with it or try to maneuver to get it after getting on the scooter.

You can rent them from medical supply places (mine was $140 per month but the insurance company had a special $40/month rate) or even buy them new (500-600) or used ($250).

Keep your bag light. It gets exhausting carrying anything.

You can stick a reusable grocery bag on one of the handles to carry stuff for you. MUCH easier than you holding it.

Give up coffee/tea or anything in a paper cup with the usual lid. It will spill on you (even 1/3 full) and it does burn...

Plastic cups with a lid/straw worked fine (but hard to steer/brake with only one hand)

Take time to stretch your other leg and back. They can get very sore after using the scooter for a few days.

Anyway, I loved the scooter. It was a huge help when my only other option would have been crutches.

Thanks TooPatient! I tried the scooter yesterday and today and liked it. I will wait until my doctor OK's the scooter for me. He wants me to hold off on any activity whatsoever that doesn't include going to the bathroom or fridge. So I am under strict doctor's orders to be a couch potato for now lol.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy, a lot of speedy healing dust for you...
fairy%20dust.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparklelu|1404921733|3709757 said:
Glad to hear you "may" be staying an additional night. Yeah insurance companies really don't like it when you actually use them!
My TRAM flap/Mastectomy was a 2 day stay!

As for the scooter, I used it when I was non weight bearing because my upper body strength is pathetic!
It was great for going shopping, and I used it at school, but it was hard maneuvering in between rows of desks, so I rearranged them into groups and that was better.
The scooter also became a much desired reward for the kids( boys mostly). They really loved scooting down the hall. They are middle school so it was ok!! I let 1-2 of them take a quick trip if they had not gotten in trouble that day.
Dust for pain free days quickly!!

Oh Sparklelu, I am so sorry they only let you stay 2 nights after your Mastectomy and I am glad you are past that experience. (((hugs))).

Glad your boys love the scooter and thank you for the pain free dust!

Andelain|1404922066|3709759 said:
Sending up lots more dust for you to heal quickly and completely.

Thank you so much Andelain!

Dancing Fire|1404954837|3710134 said:
missy, a lot of speedy healing dust for you...
fairy%20dust.gif

Thank you Dancing Fire!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your suffering, missy. They will get the nausea under control and once they do, you can concentrate on fighting them. I hope you do not try to read this thread until the nausea has passed. There are special things to eat for it as well as the meds to take. My best friend tells me that bland food is bad for nausea. Splashing cold water on your face can also help.

For now, I hope you are not even reading this!

Sending love and dust and prayers,
Deb

_20071.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope your pain is controlled tonight so that you can get some much needed rest. Pain just wears you down.

Here's hoping for a better tomorrow and some REST!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1404956765|3710156 said:
I am so sorry for your suffering, missy. They will get the nausea under control and once they do, you can concentrate on fighting them. I hope you do not try to read this thread until the nausea has passed. There are special things to eat for it as well as the meds to take. My best friend tells me that bland food is bad for nausea. Splashing cold water on your face can also help.

For now, I hope you are not even reading this!

Sending love and dust and prayers,
Deb

Hi dear Deb, thank you for those tips. I did not know bland foods are bad for nausea. Are saltine crackers OK? I have been having them before my meds just so I don't take the meds on an empty stomach. Any foods you recommend for nausea? Thank you for looking out for me (((hugs))).

MissGotRocks said:
I hope your pain is controlled tonight so that you can get some much needed rest. Pain just wears you down.

Here's hoping for a better tomorrow and some REST!!!

Thank you MissGotRocks. I was able to get through the night with just 5 mg oxycodone every 3 hours and they upped my dose of IV zofran temporarily to get me through the night.

I am waiting for the pain management team and also surgical team to evaluate me before discharge today. Fingers crossed it goes well because I am planning on seeing my sweet kitties today! I miss them and I miss going to sleep next to my dh. He's been here most of the day every day so it hasn't been bad at all being here but I am ready to go home. I just wish the nausea was gone.

The pain is at a level of 5-6 right now on 5 mg oxy and I can tolerate that. I just need to keep that nausea to a minimum. I could not eat anything after lunch yesterday and they will not discharge me if I cannot keep food down.
I will say the coffee here is delicious. :lickout:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad the night was much better for you. I hope it starts getting a little better for you each day from here on out.

There is no place like home as long as you are ready to go. We'll wait to hear what that doctors have to say about you this morning - hope it's all good news!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1404991427|3710341 said:
Glad the night was much better for you. I hope it starts getting a little better for you each day from here on out.

There is no place like home as long as you are ready to go. We'll wait to hear what that doctors have to say about you this morning - hope it's all good news!

Thanks MissGotRocks. The hospital is very busy right now and I am still waiting for my anti nausea meds. Which I need. Thank you for your concern and good wishes. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1404989687|3710334 said:
Are saltine crackers OK? I have been having them before my meds just so I don't take the meds on an empty stomach. Any foods you recommend for nausea? Thank you for looking out for me (((hugs))).

I did Internet research on foods that prevent nausea last night (and also came up with other ideas on how to prevent it besides food), and everyone loves saltines! (As if they needed further endorsement after the years and years of endorsement they have received from pregnant women with morning sickness!) I used to prefer Ritz crackers to saltines, but have been assured that when one is nauseated, that they are too oily and that saltines are better! So go for it, missy! Coat your stomach, and do yourself some good mentally, too. Everyone endorses real ginger as well. In ginger ale or in tea. Cold water and fresh air help (my suggestion of splashing cold water on your face is a variation on the cold water theme). Also cutting a lemon in half and sniffing it is said to help.

Good luck to you, sweetheart!

Deb :wavey:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm sorry I didn't post a message to you yesterday. Please know I have been thinking of you often throughout the day. I did read your posts and am happy you were able to stay another night. The only thing I know for sure is if your pain cannot be managed, you need to stay in the hospital longer. Hopefully you are still in the hospital and are feeling better today. I'm so glad to hear your stay went well and you met many nice people. It really makes a difference in how you feel if you are happy in your surroundings and your roommate sounds wonderful. I'll keep checking for your posts today to see how you doing. Thank you for continuing to update everyone on your progress. You are very loved Missy!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
......I will say the coffee here is delicious. :lickout:

you crack me up, missy! even with the pain and everything you've got an essential that keeps on ticking: your sense of humor!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1405002181|3710451 said:
Are saltine crackers OK? I have been having them before my meds just so I don't take the meds on an empty stomach. Any foods you recommend for nausea? Thank you for looking out for me (((hugs))).

I did Internet research on foods that prevent nausea last night (and also came up with other ideas on how to prevent it besides food), and everyone loves saltines! (As if they needed further endorsement after the years and years of endorsement they have received from pregnant women with morning sickness!) I used to prefer Ritz crackers to saltines, but have been assured that when one is nauseated, that they are too oily and that saltines are better! So go for it, missy! Coat your stomach, and do yourself some good mentally, too. Everyone endorses real ginger as well. In ginger ale or in tea. Cold water and fresh air help (my suggestion of splashing cold water on your face is a variation on the cold water theme). Also cutting a lemon in half and sniffing it is said to help.

Good luck to you, sweetheart!

Deb :wavey:

Second ginger including the pieces you chew on (candied ginger is fine), try Whole Foods or Trader Joes, etc. Its the only thing that works for me when I have nausea.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
reeds' candied ginger seems to be the most potent and quickest working for me........be prepared for that "bite"! love it!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I took Zofran through two of my 4 pregnancies (the 3rd and 4th). I still threw up once or twice a day, but before Zofran it was every fifteen minutes. Good luck! I hope it works well for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results