shape
carat
color
clarity

Nov. 06 wedding ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like they do a lot to help reduce the costs of decorating the tent. I like the idea of the rehearsal dinner inside then the reception the next day outside. It gives nice consitency to the event. A large chandelier would be really pretty inside the tent and much cheaper for you too. If it''s not there in time, you could do somethings with tulle and twinkle lights that could be really pretty...and a lot cheaper than floral arrangements.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yeh- i am really surprised how flexible they are too. it''s like whatever we want- rather than preset packages...

so you don''t think it would be too much to do both events at the same place? all of our guests will be from out of town, although most have been in our town before.

kws

Rough_Rock
I just got engaged over the holidays, and I am looking to be married in that same church!!!
I am meeting with the lady this week to see if we can book it for later this year.
Everyone''s suggestions are really helpful and I have a few of my own that I can put on the web.
Where are you having the reception at? What other reception places are there in Lafayette?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much SanDiegoLady!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Well after much thought and consideration, i think i have finally decided on wedding colors.
the BM's will wear champagne colored dresses and carry wine colored bouquets and will be given chocolate colored pashmina's for their BM gifts to wear for the reception. here's a pic for an example. i am not sure who's it is, and it doesn't show them wearing pashminas. the bouquets are fair bianca roses.

ChampDressWineFlowers.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i also really love this bouquet and adore the colors! i think these are peonies. i meet with a new florist tomorrow. hopefully we can come up with something.

BouqWine.jpeg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
well- we booked the florist. she''s checking to see if peonies in this color are available in nov. i sure hope so.

kws

Rough_Rock
I absolutely love the colors you picked out. Its perfect for autumn colors and the red goes so well with it. I am planning on getting married in that church later this year as well, and were looking at those same colors. I think you will have a beautiful wedding. I''m glad to note that the florist had what you wanted as well.

I agree you don''t have to dress up the church at all, its beautiful just the way it is.

Keep us updated, its great you are so well organized...I''m sure it will help in the end.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks! how''s your wedding planning coming along?

kws

Rough_Rock
Hey! Sorry its taken so long to get back. Wedding plans are coming along good. We booked the church, reception place with caterers, bridesmaid dresses are decided, florist is booked. I''ve decided to go with a deep red mixed with a fall orange (dark orange) for the contrast. I have some idea, but hopefully the florist can suggest a few ideas.

I just need to complete a couple of more items, such as booking the cake, the band, and finding a wedding dress. I''ve gone to David''s Bridal and just am not 100% sold on what I''ve tried on. I''ve only gone to one other store and their dresses are too pricey for me. I figure that if I book these within the next couple of months, I should be okay.

Do you have any suggestions for live bands in the area or any bakers for the cake? I only moved here about 1.5 years ago, so I''m not 100% acquainted with wedding stuff.

Do the florists have the color you want?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
where are you having your reception?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i have found my FI''s weddind day gift! sterling silver monogrammed locket cufflinks.

L662117468L.gif

kws

Rough_Rock
We are having the reception at the Hilton. I think it''ll turn out great. We''ve done taste testing, and know what we are going to serve.

I think the cuff links are a great idea. I was going to purchase some really nice ones for my fiance to wear at the wedding. Of course it''ll be a wedding gift to him.

I''ve also found a couple of other gifts for my bridesmaids. There are some websites with some cute ideas and gifts to give them.

How''s the flowers coming along?

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/28/2005 10:43:08 AM
Author: jcrow
thanks kbarn21!

if we have a seated dinner, i was thinking that i would have a salad and an entree, that''s it (besides hor d''oreves (SP?) for cocktail hour).
i think it would be cheaper in this case because if we did food stations, then we''d have more food prepared.

here is my other thread about seated vs. buffet (though you may have already read)
I''m SUPER late in replying to this thread, but I wanted to add that a seated dinner may actually cost you more than a buffet. It depends on the caterer/venue. I worked at a country club for years and we loved getting plated dinners because that meant a lot more money. The reason why is because although the portions are measured and the food cost may be lower, the serving cost was jacked up way high. The country club charged a ton more for serving each guest versus the guests serving themselves. This is because it was a lot more work on the servers and the chefs. I''d look more carefully into that.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
aphisiglovessae- i have. i don''t remember the exact amount, but i think the seated dinner is about $1400 more than the buffet. we have decided to go the buffetish route. there will be two food stations on either side of the tent. i think that will be nice.

kws- we looked into the hilton too. they didn''t have my date available. are you getting the downstairs room or the large upstairs ballroom?

the flower lady wasn''t sure she could get those color peonies in november. she made a few calls and apparently it can be done. i called her to follow up and she doesn''t seem concerned, she said her dealer said that they could get them. CROSS YOUR FINGERS EVERYONE!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
kws- where are you having your rehearsal dinner?

kws

Rough_Rock
jcrow - sorry this is so late. I''m having the reception in the smaller room downstairs. Its not a big wedding (under 150). I''m not sure where I''m having the rehearsal dinner. We were thinking our house, but there''s going to be around 25 - 30 people and we aren''t sure how comfortable it would be for everyone. So, we are thinking somwhere else. I haven''t focused on wedding stuff for the last month and I''m now just starting it up again.

Any suggestions on bakeries for cakes? I"m just missing that and the dj/band that we need to book.

kws

Rough_Rock
I think the buffet is the way to go - its cheaper too. Having a buffet on both sides of the tent is a great idea. That way the lines will go quicker. My florist doesn''t seem worried either about getting flowers in of the color I want. Although, right now, I''m not too picky. I think if they really want to please you, they can get about anything you want from anywhere. There are many websites too of flowers that you can order in.

Sunmoon

Rough_Rock
I dont have much to say as I agree, the church is gorgeous but...November 6 is my birthday, so great date!!! (I''m a HUGE birthday fan
9.gif
, not only mine but everyone else)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The church is stunning and I love your colors. Warm and festive, without being too much. I also love the colors someone else mentioned...I just did a big party last November and I did chocolate brown, cream, copper and gold. The roses were amazing, with this chocolate color. I think the florist also threw some of those greenish orchids with the burgundy brown color in the arrangements. With all the candles it looked great. I think the tent, as long as it is warm enough, would be gorgeous with lots of candles. One idea for your florist...satin ribbon woven through the back of every or every other ball chair, with a small bouquet tied in the bow. It makes the backs of the chairs look great, since you see a lot of them, and is more comfy to sit in than a draped chair, which can be awkward...good luck! Also, the dress is stunning, that heavy satin is great.

JacobsGirl

Rough_Rock
OMG I''m from Lafayette, La and I love that church! I''m a Catholic to but we arent getting married in a church. We''re going to get married most likely in August. Lol I cant decide. Everything is ready and waiting jus have to decide. I''m so nervous about it all! But everything you have choosen is beautiful! Good luck!
36.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
awe. thanks! and welcome to PS!

JacobsGirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Have you always lived here? Its a great place to live! Is the church charging you anything to have your wedding there?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
for the most part. have you? regarding the church: it depends on if you are a member of the cathedral.

JacobsGirl

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I''ve lived here my whole life! I kind of wanted to move away but now I dont know if we will. Because my fiance loves being here. When is the big date? Ours is Aug 5 of this year. I want to be married before the baby arrives. I already have one so I want to try and do it right this time. Well good luck and you have great taste!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
nov 18 of this year.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Jcrow, we''re thinking of setting Nov.18th as our wedding date too. I was wondering what kind of problems it may cause being so close to Thanksgiving. I''ve also been thinking of Nov.25th, right after Thanksgiving because all our family will be together anyways! But then that may be too stressful. Have many people had to decline because of other traveling plans?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
actually no one has mentioned anything yet about it. it works in our favor because we both get free vacation days from work so that means either a longer honeymoon, days off before the wedding or after to unwind from everything and unpack.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
got a couple of updates.

first off, my DRESS came in!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

when i go for my fitting i'll be sure to take lots of pics to share!

second, i finally picked out my FI's wedding gift. originally, i had purchased a set of monogrammed locket cufflinks. well, when he thought of a gift for his groomsman, guess what it was?! monogrammed cufflinks!
40.gif
what are the odds? so i checked out the site where i bought his and saw that his were on a huge clearance sale! the price of his specialty locket cufflinks was less than regular monogrammed cufflinks. so i showed him his and he loved them and decided that's what he wanted for his GM. so then i wanted to come up with another gift option for him. well i found it!!!

sixpence locket cufflinks! i worked with the company to get the same date as the sixpence i am wearing in my shoe.

c69_2.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
The History of the Silver Sixpence:::

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, and a sixpence in her shoe.

What is a sixpence?

The sixpence was a coin used in the British Empire beginning in 1551. One sixpence represented six pennies. The sixpence coin was last used in 1967.

How did the sixpence tradition begin?

In the middle ages, people were very superstitious. They believed that much of their life was controlled by evil spirits, and anything they could do to ward off those spirits was wise. They felt that these spirits were particularly active during rites of passage, such as weddings. A lucky coin was used to keep the bride and groom safe on their wedding day.

During the early 1600''s it was customary for the Lord of the Manor to give his bride a piece of silver as a wedding gift. This was symbolically represented by a sixpence coin. It later became a tradition to include a sixpence in the dowry that was given by the bride''s family to the groom.

That tradition of the sixpence as a symbol of good luck continues today. Some families have passed down the same sixpence through the generations to continue the hope for good luck to future brides. It''s also nice to seek out a sixpence minted in the year of your parents'' or grandparents'' wedding, birth years, or some other important family occasion.

Why is there a “thistle” on the back of many sixpence coins?

The thistle is the national flower of Scotland. According to legend in the 1200''s the Danes from Norway attempted to invade Scotland. Hiding under the cover of darkness, their raid upon sleeping defenders was only stopped when a barefoot raider stepped on a thistle and howled out in pain, alerting the defenders who drove the Danes away. The thistle started appearing on Scottish coins in 1470. The back of the last sixpence features a garland of roses, thistle, shamrock (four leaf clover), and leek. The words “Fid Def” are also on the back of the sixpence. This is Latin for fidei desfensor, or defender of the faith.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results