shape
carat
color
clarity

Not looking into all the imperfections in a stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Le Tigre... lol
35.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s all about colour. If the colour is right then I can give other small imperfections that I might not otherwise.

As for the grey debate? I don''t hate it but I steer away from grey tones only because, for me, it tends to make a stone look cold and I find I gravitate towards strong warm colours.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes loving, color is a major factor for me aswell.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I started learning and buying, I couldn''t "see" the gray. Now that my eyes are better trained, I can see it easily now. It doesn''t mean I love/like it or hate/dislike it. Call it more of being aware. Looking at my learning stones now, I see that they are very gray, which I thought were great coloured stones at that time when I bought them and loved them very much. If someone loves gray, great! They''ll get a good deal but it''s also good to be aware of exactly what they are getting. For me, it''s all about colour. In most stones, I try my best to avoid the gray undertone as a personal preference.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Actually a lot of my stones have imperfections. It''s a part of them, and makes them unique. As long as it doesn''t detract from the overall aesthetic of the stone, I don''t care. I remember awhile back, a PSer bought a really nice diamond. She got an amazing deal because it had a large inclusion. However, smart PSer that she was, she knew that the inclusion would be covered up by prongs. GENIUS! I live for a find like that.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are discussing products of nature, afterall.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 4:22:58 PM
Author: Kim Bruun

Date: 2/11/2010 2:31:51 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Every thread I've seen regarding blue spinels, but often about spinels in general(and other stones), there is a mention of 'grey' at least once, and more often than not, it often becomes something that dominates the thread. That is, unless someone says they 'like the steely look'. But often these are posters who don't really know anything, or much, about gemstones, so then they learn that gray is bad, which it isn't, it's just not the most highly desired characteristic by the trade.
I kinda like the steely look of some blue spinels (if it isn't too pronounced), but I don't really love it. I feel about gems the way I feel about people - I don't like the grey ones. A very slight grey tone can add an appealing coolness to lavender, but too much grey can kill any colour for me. I'm not saying that this forum has may me prejudiced towards grey, but it has definitely given me a word for what I don't like.

Still, it is a matter of personal taste. If you like grey stones, buy them and be happy that they aren't the most expensive ones. That's what I do with medium-light violet tanzanites (which I love).
If I was to buy a predominantly grey stone, I would definitely buy a light toned grey spinel. The sparkle and scintillation from a well cut spinel is appealing, even if it's grey. I wouldn't want a dark toned grey spinel however, it would look like charcoal to me. I saw a predominantly light toned grey spinel on ebay in a Portuguese cut and it was very lively, and I can see the appeal. My green diamond has grey in it, and if it didn't, I wouldn't be able to afford it!! Does anyone like grey stones other than spinel? I'm just curious. It seems to be the one gem around here that people rather enjoy in grey. I'm not talking about stones that have a grey mask but are predominantly another color, but stones that are almost pure grey.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 11:18:51 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
If I was to buy a predominantly grey stone, I would definitely buy a light toned grey spinel. The sparkle and scintillation from a well cut spinel is appealing, even if it''s grey. I wouldn''t want a dark toned grey spinel however, it would look like charcoal to me. I saw a predominantly light toned grey spinel on ebay in a Portuguese cut and it was very lively, and I can see the appeal. My green diamond has grey in it, and if it didn''t, I wouldn''t be able to afford it!! Does anyone like grey stones other than spinel? I''m just curious. It seems to be the one gem around here that people rather enjoy in grey. I''m not talking about stones that have a grey mask but are predominantly another color, but stones that are almost pure grey.
Gray star sapphire cabochon?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 12:49:05 PM
Author: Demon

Date: 2/10/2010 8:46:34 PM
Author: Fly Girl
This little tsavorite cab is being set now. I''ve given it to a local designer who has a very organic style. I''m sure no one will look at the finished piece and think about the inclusions in the stone. If it turns out as I hope it will, everything will be in harmony.
I''ve never really been one for cabs, but I am loving this tsavorite! Is it really as ''swirly'' looking inside as it appears, or is that just illusion?
Thank you, Demon. The inclusions are really there and appear when the light catches the stone just right. Otherwise, it is a lovely green stone.

I was inspired by a beautiful pendant by this designer who used a yellow green tourmaline with some interesting rutile in the stone. The rutile definitely added interest to the stone. I''m still looking for just the right rutile quartz for my collection. There, the inclusions make the piece.

Thanks also to yssie and Lovebaubles for your nice comments.
TsavCollageMCG.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flygirl,
Your tsavorite cabochon shows pretty inclusion patterns when the light hits it just right. What are your plans for it? You should add its picture to the Green thread.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2010 8:10:36 AM
Author: Chrono

If I was to buy a predominantly grey stone, I would definitely buy a light toned grey spinel. The sparkle and scintillation from a well cut spinel is appealing, even if it''s grey. I wouldn''t want a dark toned grey spinel however, it would look like charcoal to me. I saw a predominantly light toned grey spinel on ebay in a Portuguese cut and it was very lively, and I can see the appeal. My green diamond has grey in it, and if it didn''t, I wouldn''t be able to afford it!! Does anyone like grey stones other than spinel? I''m just curious. It seems to be the one gem around here that people rather enjoy in grey. I''m not talking about stones that have a grey mask but are predominantly another color, but stones that are almost pure grey.
Gray star sapphire cabochon?
I just thought, grey pearls too!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 9:47:51 AM
Author: Chrono
Flygirl,
Your tsavorite cabochon shows pretty inclusion patterns when the light hits it just right. What are your plans for it? You should add its picture to the Green thread.
Thank you, Chrono. I'm having a custom pendant made by local designer, Emily Johnson. Link The design we are thinking about is an organic pear shape, slightly cupped, with the cab bezeled on the surface. A smaller, more golden version of my larger rhodolite pendant which is in blackened silver. The stone will be bezeled in 18k green gold, there will be a green gold accent stripe with a tiny champagne accent diamond, and the rest of the piece is in 14k rose gold. It should be ready in time for my birthday in March.

I just checked Emily's web site and I see she has a photo of the inspiration pendant that I mentioned above. The photo doesn't capture the interesting rutile very well, but you can glimpse her style. Sterling silver, 14k pink gold, tourmaline and champagne diamonds. I was in the shop yesterday visiting this piece.
3.gif

EmilyPendant.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like what I like. As Harriet said, its all from nature.

-A

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2010 9:44:35 AM

Date: 2/11/2010 12:49:05 PM
Author: Demon

Date: 2/10/2010 8:46:34 PM
This little tsavorite cab is being set now. I''ve given it to a local designer who has a very organic style. I''m sure no one will look at the finished piece and think about the inclusions in the stone. If it turns out as I hope it will, everything will be in harmony.
I''ve never really been one for cabs, but I am loving this tsavorite! Is it really as ''swirly'' looking inside as it appears, or is that just illusion?
Thank you, Demon. The inclusions are really there and appear when the light catches the stone just right. Otherwise, it is a lovely green stone.

I was inspired by a beautiful pendant by this designer who used a yellow green tourmaline with some interesting rutile in the stone. The rutile definitely added interest to the stone. I''m still looking for just the right rutile quartz for my collection. There, the inclusions make the piece.

Thanks also to yssie and Lovebaubles for your nice comments.
TsavCollageMCG.JPG
Gorgeous!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL, the only one I''ve been able to find, besides diamonds, are spinels. Gray pearls and gray star sapphires are around too, but the only pure gray gem I''ve found (and goodness knows, I''ve looked!) are spinels. I think one of my very first threads was searching for a pure gray stone.

I know what you mean about a dark gray stone. Obviously the Darth Vader spinel is super dark and I start to resent how dark it is, and just when that happens, some strong light will hit it just right and I fall back in love with it again...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke,
Did you ever think about getting a grey diamond? They''re reasonably priced too. They supposedly find grey diamonds near blue greys. The Hope diamond has a significant amount of grey in it, but it''s overlooked for obvious reasons.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love grey diamonds surrounded by pink gold and/or pink gems.

greydiamondhalo.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have. Even though they are cheaper though, I''m betting that the price is still prohibitive.
39.gif

I did see a few beaut "gray I3" diamonds on ebay though. You know what that means.
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grey (or is it gray?) diamonds are still very reasonably priced, but as soon as you add the slightest touch of blue, pink or violet, the price skyrockets.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eh, I alternate between gray and grey. I figure they both work. Sometimes it just depends on which side of the pond you're on.

I'll have to look more into the gray diamonds. Any suggestions for where to look?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebay is a good source for off colored and grey diamonds.
2.gif
Just check toolhaus.org and feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results