shape
carat
color
clarity

Not looking into all the imperfections in a stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m sure most everyone is partial to particular gemstones ,(including myself), cut, color, shape, e.t.c. than others. I love fancy cuts as well as cabochons and organic looking gems. I notice alot of posts are very particular with the flaws in a gem, even very minute. I can understand that aspect, because when you are building a certain piece you want it to look a certain way.

I am wondering though, if anyone here can just see a stone and say... "I love it", it''s not perfect, but it''s gorgeous and I want it lol, providing that the vendor is giving a fair price given the quality of the stone.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Even though I''m new to jewelry buying in general, in colored stones, the most important thing is color brilliance & saturation and whether or not the shape/cut compliments the stone.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well, ofcourse you have to be satisfied with what you are purchasing, but what I mean is if you really love it and there is a slight imperfection, would you still buy it?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course I would. And have. Of course imperfections are determinant of the beholder right?

Such as a HUGE negative around here: Gray mask/secondary tone/undertone in spinels.

I own two gray spinels. One is a dark gray/purple-ish hint that's almost black and another is a medium pure gray. I love them and sought them out. Other people refuse to look at spinels with gray/brown tones to them. I happen to like them. My choice, their perceived flaw.

What about windows? There are many posters here that won't do windows. I am typically all about cut, but if I see a stone with a window, and that color captures me...it's mine.

Or not perfect cutting. Irregular meets. Imperfect polishing. My most recent purchase has all of these. Didn't stop me from setting it in my most expensive item of jewelry. Because it's still beautiful.

Or inclusions. I have a hot pink spinel that is not exactly what I consider eye clean, but I knew it going into buying it, and I loved the stone anyway, so it is also mine. Or like a Barry blue spinel I have--one big bubble inclusion smack dab in the middle of the stone--I loved it, it spoke to me, it gets worn a lot.

If a stone "speaks" to the collective you, regardless of perceived flaws, for goodness sake, GET IT!

Some of my favorite stones have had...issues. And I probably love them more for it.

If everyone had the same taste, then this board would not be as interesting, and all of the gems we'd be seeking out would be insanely expensive because we'd all be going after the same exact stones.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Heck yes. If a stone is speaking to me, I can forgive flaws. Flaws make for interesting people and even more interesting stones. How boring would it be if every single specimen of gem were the same!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it also depends on the price. I was offered a beautiful 7-ct sapphire which was sold at a high price but since it had a visible inclusion the price was at the range that a 5-ct unincluded one would command. Well, it was a very high price either way! And since I was not even looking for a 5-carater, would I take that one at a "bargain" price? No!
But if it is an affordable stone and has imperfections but the color is wonderful - I''ll take it.
It is like Cindy Crawford''s mole - an imperfection that made her unique.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have and I would. Here is a 5.35 ct pink tourmaline cabochon that I got after another client rejected it due to inclusions. Lucky me! It is a beautiful stone. Sometimes, and I think this is one such case, the inclusions do not detract from the stone''s beauty.

DCab20259b.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
This little tsavorite cab is being set now. I''ve given it to a local designer who has a very organic style. I''m sure no one will look at the finished piece and think about the inclusions in the stone. If it turns out as I hope it will, everything will be in harmony.

Tsa8511a.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely, depending on the type of stone and its imperfections, I will certainly overlook certain things but refuse to accept others. It also depends on the degree of imperfection. Now, unless I have an unlimited budget, I'd go all out for the perfect stone every time.
11.gif
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 2:01:14 PM
Author: Lovebaubles
Well, ofcourse you have to be satisfied with what you are purchasing, but what I mean is if you really love it and there is a slight imperfection, would you still buy it?
Definitely, especially if it keeps the price down. For example, if you have a beautiful colored stone, but it has some inclusions, it can help you to keep the price down. I rather have a fine colored included stone than a flawless desaturated stone. The one thing I cannot live with is brownish yellow stones, or ones that are too brown alltogether.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2010 2:17:32 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Of course I would. And have. Of course imperfections are determinant of the beholder right?

Such as a HUGE negative around here: Gray mask/secondary tone/undertone in spinels.

I own two gray spinels. One is a dark gray/purple-ish hint that's almost black and another is a medium pure gray. I love them and sought them out. Other people refuse to look at spinels with gray/brown tones to them. I happen to like them. My choice, their perceived flaw.

What about windows? There are many posters here that won't do windows. I am typically all about cut, but if I see a stone with a window, and that color captures me...it's mine.

Or not perfect cutting. Irregular meets. Imperfect polishing. My most recent purchase has all of these. Didn't stop me from setting it in my most expensive item of jewelry. Because it's still beautiful.

Or inclusions. I have a hot pink spinel that is not exactly what I consider eye clean, but I knew it going into buying it, and I loved the stone anyway, so it is also mine. Or like a Barry blue spinel I have--one big bubble inclusion smack dab in the middle of the stone--I loved it, it spoke to me, it gets worn a lot.

If a stone 'speaks' to the collective you, regardless of perceived flaws, for goodness sake, GET IT!

Some of my favorite stones have had...issues. And I probably love them more for it.

If everyone had the same taste, then this board would not be as interesting, and all of the gems we'd be seeking out would be insanely expensive because we'd all be going after the same exact stones.
Freke,
I don't think grey is such a huge negative around here. Many people are buying grey spinels and loving them. I have stones with a grey cast, and I still love them. One of my most prized stones has a grey mask. Typically, the trade sells stones with greyer undertones for less money, so the greyer a stone, this is perceived by the trade as being less valuable. You love them, and I think that's great because we all cannot be the same around here, that would be rather boring if all of us went for the same exact things, as you said. Some people dislike neon vivid stones. We all love what we love, but when people are looking for saturated color, we discuss grey as a desaturating modifier since that's what the textbooks and the trade indicate it is.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
those are gorgeous, Fly Girl!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m usually a stickler for eye-clean stones, but I can forgive some other things easily (certain "undesirable" colors, imperfect cutting, some degree of windowing, etc.).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
As many have said, it depends mostly on one thing - does it take away from the overall beauty of the stone. For instance, a wonky facet pattern (and I''m not talking windows here, more like as if someone was drinking heavily while cutting) will make the stone look out of balance, probably negatively affecting color coverage, not to mention brilliance, and such a stone will not get me. As mentioned, color coverage is one thing that I notice quite often as a negative, cause to me a stone with areas of drastically different tonal values are often a huge turn-off. The same goes for inclusions that look like a sore thumb and stick out. But if an inclusion, or even several of them, somehow looks like it''s a part of the stone, and if it''s similar in color to the stone, it can even be a plus for me (reduces the price, increases the stone''s "character"). Emeralds and rubelites are often like that, but inclusions in some materials really don''t flatter the stone. Window is also something I can tolerate to a point, but only if color in the window itself isn''t washed out and drastically different to that in the rest of the stone. So it''s all about maintaining overall beauty, or as we often say, visual balance within the stone. The stone can indeed be "perfect because of it''s imprefections".

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I can take most type of natural imperfection but I just can''t take poor cutting, misaligning facet point..scratches, chip, window etc..

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Slightly misaligned facet points, if I understand the term correctly, don't bother me in some cases, such as the mixed cut, where I don't need mechanical precision with every square on the bottom half. While I do not like windows and wonky symmetry, I kinda like that the stone shows it has been cut by human hands. And I never cared what the name of the cutter was.

On the other hand, large inclusions and internal fractures are a definite turn-offs for me. Small veils and tiny inclusions that are barely visible to the eye can make a stone more interesting, though. Of course, if a stone's beauty rests with its light colour or high dispersion, then clarity is of the utmost importance. Some included cabochons can be quite beautiful, though.

Apart from that, I am all about saturated reds, pinks, oranges, yellows, yellow-greens, greens, medium-light blue-greens, blues, blue-violets, violets, lavenders, and violet-purples.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 6:12:28 AM
Author: Kim Bruun
Slightly misaligned facet points, if I understand the term correctly, don''t bother me in some cases, such as the mixed cut, where I don''t need mechanical precision with every square on the bottom half. While I do not like windows and wonky symmetry, I kinda like that the stone shows it has been cut by human hands. And I never cared what the name of the cutter was.

On the other hand, large inclusions and internal fractures are a definite turn-offs for me. Small veils and tiny inclusions that are barely visible to the eye can make a stone more interesting, though. Of course, if a stone''s beauty rests with its light colour or high dispersion, then clarity is of the utmost importance. Some included cabochons can be quite beautiful, though.

Apart from that, I am all about saturated reds, pinks, oranges, yellows, yellow-greens, greens, medium-light blue-greens, blues, blue-violets, violets, lavenders, and violet-purples.
You mentioned whole spectrum of eye-visible colors!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 11:30:19 AM
Author: crasru

Date: 2/11/2010 6:12:28 AM
Author: Kim Bruun

I am all about saturated reds, pinks, oranges, yellows, yellow-greens, greens, medium-light blue-greens, blues, blue-violets, violets, lavenders, and violet-purples.
You mentioned whole spectrum of eye-visible colors!
No I didn't - I purposefully omitted reddish purple, orangy red, and dark blue-green - colours that I don't personally care for.
2.gif
But I don't think that any colour can be considered a flaw as much as a matter of personal taste. My point was that with a coloured stone, colour is still the primary consideration.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Fortunately we''re all individuals :) I''m not a fan of eye-visible inclusions except in cabs or in the rare case where they compliment the stone. I hate extinction in cutting but will accept certain windows.

One thing I love is color zoning! To most it''s a huge flaw, but I love seeing the natural variation of color in the stone if it''s otherwise clean.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 8:46:34 PM
Author: Fly Girl
This little tsavorite cab is being set now. I''ve given it to a local designer who has a very organic style. I''m sure no one will look at the finished piece and think about the inclusions in the stone. If it turns out as I hope it will, everything will be in harmony.
I''ve never really been one for cabs, but I am loving this tsavorite! Is it really as ''swirly'' looking inside as it appears, or is that just illusion?

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Flygirl those cabs have me drooling...LOVE THEM!!! In cabs I like to see some slight inclusions. I am not a huge fan of totally opaque gems in jewelry, such as Turquoise or Onyx.

I guess everyone has different preferences when it comes to a particular gemstone. I know as far as diamonds, I'm sure like most individuals, I want the best, 4 C's all the way( as long as I can afford it :). With colored gems, I like to see some inclusions, especially in cabs. I guess I am a big fan of the organic look, just as much as I love the beautiful precision cuts. With the faceted stones I do like to see less inclusions, but if there are some slight inclusions and I love the cut and color of the stone, I will have to have it! I especially love the fancy cuts, as I know many members do on here.

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions! Keep em' coming!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:13:16 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 2/10/2010 2:17:32 PM

I own two gray spinels. One is a dark gray/purple-ish hint that''s almost black and another is a medium pure gray. I love them and sought them out. Other people refuse to look at spinels with gray/brown tones to them. I happen to like them. My choice, their perceived flaw.

What about windows? There are many posters here that won''t do windows. I am typically all about cut, but if I see a stone with a window, and that color captures me...it''s mine.

Or not perfect cutting. Irregular meets. Imperfect polishing. My most recent purchase has all of these. Didn''t stop me from setting it in my most expensive item of jewelry. Because it''s still beautiful.

If a stone ''speaks'' to the collective you, regardless of perceived flaws, for goodness sake, GET IT!

If everyone had the same taste, then this board would not be as interesting, and all of the gems we''d be seeking out would be insanely expensive because we''d all be going after the same exact stones.
Freke,
I don''t think grey is such a huge negative around here. Many people are buying grey spinels and loving them. I have stones with a grey cast, and I still love them. One of my most prized stones has a grey mask. Typically, the trade sells stones with greyer undertones for less money, so the greyer a stone, this is perceived by the trade as being less valuable. You love them, and I think that''s great because we all cannot be the same around here, that would be rather boring if all of us went for the same exact things, as you said. Some people dislike neon vivid stones. We all love what we love, but when people are looking for saturated color, we discuss grey as a desaturating modifier since that''s what the textbooks and the trade indicate it is.
Oh boy. How many times have we been through this?
2.gif

Every thread I''ve seen regarding blue spinels, but often about spinels in general(and other stones), there is a mention of "grey" at least once, and more often than not, it often becomes something that dominates the thread. That is, unless someone says they "like the steely look". But often these are posters who don''t really know anything, or much, about gemstones, so then they learn that gray is bad, which it isn''t, it''s just not the most highly desired characteristic by the trade.

I just think that everyone should buy what they like. If someone likes something, comes here, says "hey, what do you think about this stone, since I don''t know that much and you guys know a lot?" and get a bunch of negative stuff about gray modifiers and end up not buying a stone that a. is probably a good deal and b. they liked a lot at first sight. I worry that warnings about gray modifiers pushes people away from stones that they might actually have loved in the end.

Luckily in my first spinel buying experiences, I didn''t pay any attention to talk of gray modifiers, because if I had, I probably wouldn''t have gotten the ering stone I did, even though I absolutely adore it. So I''m glad I didn''t listen to it, and that''s why I worry when it''s brought up--and it''s brought up a lot.

This is, as always, my point of view.

Regardless, according to the trade, it''s an imperfection. Just one I happen to like, which turns out great for me in the end!
3.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
This is such an interesting thread!

I often fight myself on these issues. I fall in love with the strangest stones and am very aware of their flaws. But if I love the stone, the imperfections don''t matter at all. My current favorites are a very included aqua (a big no no, but man I can''t get enough of it) and the funkiest purple sapphire you''ve ever seen that I still have to set. The cut is wonky and it''s included. This sapphire is a color changer and when the light hits it, it takes my breath away each time.

My wish is that some day I can afford some of the more "perfect" stones. But I already know I won''t love them more, or wear them more. They will simply be different and satisfy another area of my curiosity.

Gems are like people, I think. I can see them with my perfectionist''s eye, which tends to make everything lackluster, or appreciate them for what they are and then decide whether they are right for me.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well said tiger!!!
36.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Lovebaubles
35.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only buy stones that really speak to me. Well they have to scream at me.

Usually it''s about color, and how I see the color. Not what the market prefers.

So far I haven''t had to pick a stone with visible inclusions...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I also think it''s a lot easier to criticize stones online. With a flat picture being posted for critiques we can pick apart every teeny issue. However, one can easily fall in love with a vivid, lively stone in person that one wouldn''t choose if one were buying it remotely.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Very true, Hest.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 2:31:51 PM

Every thread I've seen regarding blue spinels, but often about spinels in general(and other stones), there is a mention of 'grey' at least once, and more often than not, it often becomes something that dominates the thread. That is, unless someone says they 'like the steely look'. But often these are posters who don't really know anything, or much, about gemstones, so then they learn that gray is bad, which it isn't, it's just not the most highly desired characteristic by the trade.
I kinda like the steely look of some blue spinels (if it isn't too pronounced), but I don't really love it. I feel about gems the way I feel about people - I don't like the grey ones. A very slight grey tone can add an appealing coolness to lavender, but too much grey can kill any colour for me. I'm not saying that this forum has may me prejudiced towards grey, but it has definitely given me a word for what I don't like.

Still, it is a matter of personal taste. If you like grey stones, buy them and be happy that they aren't the most expensive ones. That's what I do with medium-light violet tanzanites (which I love).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results