shape
carat
color
clarity

Nobody Wants To Play Debate The Debate?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 12:07:30 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Obama''s demeanor in responding to McCain showed respect, and maturity. I think McCain, was condescending, and passive agressive to Obama. McCain came off as attacking, bullying. I know this is their last fight. I see why he''s fighting. But sheesh, to me, it was a big turn off.

Today the market took a huge nose dive, huge losses. I don''t know who can solve this mess. But am going to hide in my denial and celebrate my PHILLIE''S!!!! I am allowed this right??? LOL!!!!
35.gif

Go PHILLIES! Red October!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're welcome Kaleigh. (I've noticed your avatar a lot over here while lurking, and I drool each time, so I remember drooling a lot...
3.gif
)

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 12:26:40 AM
Date: 10/16/2008 12:09:18 AM

Author: FrekeChild

Date: 10/16/2008 12:01:52 AM

Author: idreamofcushions

Date: 10/15/2008 11:54:54 PM

Date: 10/15/2008 11:38:31 PM

Author: EBree

CNN Poll: Who was more likable?

Obama: 70%

McCain: 22%

ETA: The ''Quick Poll'' on CNN is also giving the debate to Obama 83% to McCain''s 14% (currently).
McCain irritated the heck out of me. And I went into this debate with eyes wide open. McCaiin left a very bad taste in my mouth. I wanted him to sway me, but he didn''t. He fell way way short. So Obama it is for me. Was undecided till tonight.

Awww - I truly hope this wasn''t your deciding factor. It''s hard to get down to the real issues during debates. Did you know that Thomas Jefferson had a stutter and hated to speak in public? Since I learned that in US history, I told myself I would never vote for someone based on outward appearances. I have a friend who is Republican but is voting Obama simply because she doesn''t like Palin (the accent bothers her). I urge you to dig a little deeper, you never know what you might find! I posted a few links, check em out!

I have to tell you that I give Kaleigh a lot more credit for making an informed decision that you just did. She''s been around ATW for a while, and I guarantee she has paid plenty of attention to the details, the policies and everything else being taken into account.
I have been reading for a looong time. I have one mind, MY OWN. I am a true researcher. I don''t trust once source. I read everything. Feke summed up my feelings... Thank you.
5.gif

I''m truly sorry Kaleigh and Frekechild... I was completely not meaning to offend or put you down in anyway whatsoever. Rereading my post I can see how it could be taken the wrong way. I''m fairly new to PS so I haven''t seen many past posts, I was merely saying that it is sometimes difficult to get down to the real issues during debates. Thats all...I apologize if it came across wrong!
15.gif
Gosh, I feel really bad...sorry!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I missed the debate but caught some of the commentary on MSNBC this morning. They decided McCain was the clear loser based on his strident negative attacks, which they felt back fired. They were ridiculing his "air quotes" over the health of the mother issue. Stunning bad taste.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 9:02:48 AM
Author: purrfectpear
I missed the debate but caught some of the commentary on MSNBC this morning. They decided McCain was the clear loser based on his strident negative attacks, which they felt back fired. They were ridiculing his ''air quotes'' over the health of the mother issue. Stunning bad taste.

I know-it was really breathtakingly offensive! And the best part was the smirk on his face-he really thought he was going to be able to stick it to Obama with that one. I was going bonkers at the TV when he pulled that one out!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys, I'm sorry I wasn't around last night! I was watching the debate, but I didn't think we would be doing a "debate the debates" thread this time. I guess I was a little "gunshy" because the Dem and Rep threads both got pulled, and I didn't want to start a "debate the debates" thread in case that fell under the category of continuing the discussions that were taking place in the Rep and Dem threads before they got pulled. I'm glad you guys had fun though, and I've enjoyed reading the thread this morning!
9.gif

I agree with everyone about McCain and the blinking! What was UP with that?!?!
23.gif

And did anyone notice that McCain kept clenching his jaw while Obama was speaking?
33.gif

And I was pretty disgusted by McCain's comment about the "health of the mother" issue, too.
38.gif

In general, I think both candidates did well last night. McCain did MUCH better than he has in previous debates, but I still don't think he was able to out-debate Obama.
2.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
While I do agree that the air quotes were bad taste, I do agree with him about that term. The term "health of the mother" has been broadened so widely that ANYTHING is included within its definition (i.e. any amount of psychological distress) and it ceases to have any meaning. If abortion is to be regulated in any way perhaps more tangible criteria should be set out. If not, then no qualifiers of late-term abortions are necessary.

ETA: Not arguing the rightness/wrongness of abortions or McCain's use of air quotes...just the actual loose use of the phrase. It is well-documented.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 9:39:54 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl

And did anyone notice that McCain kept clenching his jaw while Obama was speaking?
33.gif
People do that when they''re mad but don''t want to/can''t say anything.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2008 9:45:56 AM
Author: IndyGirl22
While I do agree that the air quotes were bad taste, I do agree with him about that term. The term 'health of the mother' has been broadened so widely that ANYTHING is included within its definition (i.e. any amount of psychological distress) and it ceases to have any meaning. If abortion is to be regulated in any way perhaps more tangible criteria should be set out. If not, then no qualifiers of late-term abortions are necessary.

ETA: Not arguing the rightness/wrongness of abortions or McCain's use of air quotes...just the actual loose use of the phrase. It is well-documented.
Indy, I agree that there should be some kind of reasonable guideline in place that defines what "health of the mother" actually means. I'm just very concerned that Mr. McCain's definition of that phrase would be overly restrictive.
40.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2008 9:53:05 AM
Author: Ellen

33.gif
People do that when they''re mad but don''t want to/can''t say anything.
My thoughts exactly, Miss Ellen! I guess that explains McCain''s bulging jaw muscles, huh? LOL!
2.gif
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 9:54:57 AM

Date: 10/16/2008 9:53:05 AM
Author: Ellen

33.gif
People do that when they're mad but don't want to/can't say anything.
My thoughts exactly, Miss Ellen! I guess that explains McCain's bulging jaw muscles, huh? LOL!
2.gif
9.gif
Sorry, I wasn't sure if you really didn't understand, or were asking it more rhetorically! The confused smiley confused me.
9.gif
2.gif

At any rate, I think it's safe to say Mr. McCain was not a happy camper.

On another note, did anyone catch his reaction when he questioned Obama about this "fine" that has been mentioned in relationship to companies and healthcare? And Obama said zero (to Joe plumber)? But, IS there a fine at any level? Obama has never truly aswered the question.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 9:54:09 AM
Indy, I agree that there should be some kind of reasonable guideline in place that defines what 'health of the mother' actually means. I'm just very concerned that Mr. McCain's definition of that phrase would be overly restrictive.
40.gif
I would think that the Legislature would be the one making up the criteria, not the President (at least not until it has passed through Congress)...if the polls are any indication, it looks like Obama & a Democratic majority will be taking over and I doubt they would enact any type of restrictive definition, if any, of it. The draft of the FOCA doesn't include any at least; neither did the Partial Birth Abortion Ban...I think Congress is just too scared to do it. I think Obama's administration would try and move us towards a more abortions on demand policy, as supported in his Harvard comment. (Again, not arguing abortion in general.)

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2008 9:10:33 AM
Author: thing2of2
Date: 10/16/2008 9:02:48 AM

Author: purrfectpear

I missed the debate but caught some of the commentary on MSNBC this morning. They decided McCain was the clear loser based on his strident negative attacks, which they felt back fired. They were ridiculing his 'air quotes' over the health of the mother issue. Stunning bad taste.

I know-it was really breathtakingly offensive! And the best part was the smirk on his face-he really thought he was going to be able to stick it to Obama with that one. I was going bonkers at the TV when he pulled that one out!

My jaw hit the floor a few times (the air quotes being one) during this debate.

Some analysts say it was McCain's strongest, but the polls show he did NOT do well with Independents last night.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results