shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie - bursting with excitment!

bobbypins

Rough_Rock
Hello ladies!

Ive been a lurker on this forum now for a while, but reading more about e-rings has just got me so excited now i just had to be an active part of it! Im hoping for a proposal in the next few (6?) months. Weve spoken alot about it and looked at rings about six times together. I think ive narrowed it down quite alot as to what i want, but havent actually found "the ring" yet.

So far im keen on at least a 1.5 carat pear shape (or possibly a marquise) with a full pave platinum band with milgrain edging. I would want a thin band, about 1.5mm, which seems to be the hardest thing to find!

I think boyfriend knows about these "requirements" (ive made it pretty clear) but he is very reluctant to ever get a ring made up. A friend of his made his own engagement ring for his now wife, which she in the end hated and they couldnt return it. My boyfriend is very traditional and wants to choose it all in secret and make the whole thing a surprise, which i am ok about, its very sweet. I just want to make sure its 100% right as i am a control freak! And after joining PS i think ive become even more so, and my standards have shot up.

We have spoken about it quite alot, and are about 9 months since we first starting looking at rings. I have taken the decision to now completely shut up about it as i think im getting to the place where im nagging him. But as im sure you ladies understand, if you are a control freak its hard to let it go and embrace the unknown. Ive come on here to try and channel my crazy elsewhere!

So any support would be greatly appreciated! Its just so hard to sit back and wait, and trust him to go and find the most important jewellery item ill ever own! I'm just an uber control freak. I also have no idea when it will be!

But it will be nice to meet you lovely ladies who understand how i am feeling! xxxxxxx

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Hi, welcome to PS and to LIW! Your ideal ring sounds lovely. I hope that your fiance finds it soon! Just FYI, James Allen (very popular vendor here) will add milgrain to most settings for free. I think that they might charge a 15% restocking fee for custom work though, but it won't be final sale. I know some PS vendors (eg Brian Gavin) have final sale policies on custom work and bezel settings.

How long have you and your bf been dating? Where did you meet?

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I think you'll have a tough time getting a pave band that's only 1.5mm wide, much less having milgrain on the edge! Even a plain band that narrow could be dicey. It's even hard to find a plain wedding band less than 2mm wide. There's probably a good reason you aren't finding what you are looking for.

Good luck, though!

liz

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome! It sounds like it's going really well and you won't be a lady in waiting for very long!

I'm just concerned that your BF WILL get you what you want and you won't be able to wear it...
Have you read this thread? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/are-rings-too-thin-these-days.155780/[/URL]

As Libby said, 1.5 is really really thin.... but you want pave AND milgrain.... sure a jeweler might actually do it... idk about you, but I would want to wear my ring proudly, not worry that the integrity of the metal is weakened by all the holes from the diamonds. A 1.5ct pear or marquise will have presence even if the band is 1.8-2mm.

Well regardless, welcome to the club!

bobbypins

Rough_Rock
Hello ladies, thank you all very much for replying!

That is some really good advice. To be honest, i don't know very much about diamonds or rings. This will be my frist ring ever as i've just not worn them before. (I think as i'm not allowed to wear them in my job its always just been easier never to have than to keep taking off!)

So this kind of advice is very useful. I do tend do be the clumsy type of person aswell so if anything is going break it will typically be mine. :???: I'll just have to go ring shopping again and try on some thicker bands!

Sortman - ive looked at James Allen and lots of other online places, and they do have some lovely stuff. However my BF has a strange approach to this whole thing and is very reluctant to do things online or get a ring designed and then made. He used to work in a highstreet jewellers as a teenager and now thinks he is the leading expert :roll: so wants to go about things his own way. Bless him! Altho im not sure where that leaves us - guess thats up to him!

As to how long ill remain waiting - im hoping its not too long but you know how these things go! We first went looking at rings a year ago so its already been that long, which im fine with as i really couldnt decide. Plus i know lots of people on here have been waiting longer! Its just so hard to relinquish control over such a big decision! Who knows how their brains work.

I just dont get the process from them saying "i know youre the one and want to marry you" to actually getting down on one knee (or whichever) and actually doing it! How does that phase take months/years? Mind boggling!

We've not been going out for very long, coming up to 2 years. But we have been close friends/fancied each other but always been otherwise unavailable/living at other ends of the country/not actually had the courage to make a move for 6 years before that so we have a bit more history and know each other really well. He is my absolute hero and i love him to bits - i just want to give him a bit of a kick up the backside to get on with it! hehe!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I think a 1.8-2mm band is still plenty thin. When the band gets too thin, I feel like the diamonds look more like etched metal. I want to know that I'm looking at diamonds!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I like that you describe your SO as your hero!

I hope you are able to strike the perfect compromise between delicate and hard wearing! Welcome to LIW. :wavey:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! A pear or marquise would be very classic and definitely unique! If you are worried about hitting your ring against things, have you considered bezel settings? They aren't for everyone but they can be great for a pear or marquise to really accentuate the shape.

I think with guys even if they KNOW that the two of you are in it for the long haul, sometimes it's just like a switch that they go from having that remote, distant idea to a "I can't wait another minute to spend the rest of my life with my lady" kind of mindset and there's nothing that we can do about it. Just be patient and understanding, and when you need to vent come here! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results