shape
carat
color
clarity

New to PS and in DESPERATE need of advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreaming of You

Rough_Rock
Hello Ladies! Little about me... I am a student finishing my masters in Special Needs Education and Early Childhood Intervention. My boyfriend is a Golf Professional, working for a local Country Club where we live. We have been together for two years, living together for about a year now. A few weeks ago after a very romantic dinner he asked if I was up for a bit of shopping. Now I am not a shopper at all but I told him sure anyway and he ended up taking me to a jewelry store to pick out an engagement ring! It was perfect until he started talking about diamonds....

I know diamonds are suppose to be a girls best friend but for some reason I am petrified of wearing a real diamond. I told him I would rather have a beautiful setting with possibly a colored gemstone instead but he kept pushing for a bigger diamond. Finally I broke down and told him there was no point to keep looking because our budget wasn''''t going to fit what we both wanted. We went to bed angry but when I woke up I knew everything was going to be better. We compromised and I picked out the most beautiful setting, one I have wanted for what seems like forever, with the condition that we would look at gemstones to replace the center stone later.

Am I crazy to not want a diamond on my hand? My setting is the Tacori 2620PR. I just think it would look beautiful set with a colored (preferably green) gemstone. And does anyone know of a beautiful HARD gemstone that comes in a lighter shade of green?

Dreaming of You

Rough_Rock
Heres a picture of my setting

tacori2620arc.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 3:15:05 PM
Author:Dreaming of You
Hello Ladies! Little about me... I am a student finishing my masters in Special Needs Education and Early Childhood Intervention. My boyfriend is a Golf Professional, working for a local Country Club where we live. We have been together for two years, living together for about a year now. A few weeks ago after a very romantic dinner he asked if I was up for a bit of shopping. Now I am not a shopper at all but I told him sure anyway and he ended up taking me to a jewelry store to pick out an engagement ring! It was perfect until he started talking about diamonds....

I know diamonds are suppose to be a girls best friend but for some reason I am petrified of wearing a real diamond. I told him I would rather have a beautiful setting with possibly a colored gemstone instead but he kept pushing for a bigger diamond. Finally I broke down and told him there was no point to keep looking because our budget wasn't going to fit what we both wanted. We went to bed angry but when I woke up I knew everything was going to be better. We compromised and I picked out the most beautiful setting, one I have wanted for what seems like forever, with the condition that we would look at gemstones to replace the center stone later.

Am I crazy to not want a diamond on my hand? My setting is the Tacori 2620PR. I just think it would look beautiful set with a colored (preferably green) gemstone. And does anyone know of a beautiful HARD gemstone that comes in a lighter shade of green?
Hi Dreaming and welcome!

No you are not crazy to not want a diamond, coloured stones can make a very traditional and beautiful choice for an engagement ring. For example, poster Pandora has a fantastic green tanzanite ( I believe) which you could look at. What I will do, is ask for your thread to be moved to Colored Stones, that way the CS folks can help you better. If you need diamond help then Rocky Talk is the place for that should you change your mind.

Hope this helps, you will be in excellent hands with the CS team!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
AustenNut also has a LOVELY sapphire e-ring, and I know of a few others who have colored gemstones as well! (I just can''t think of them off the top of my head.) Over in colored stones you will find amazing advice about what types of gemstones to look at (because some are harder than others and therefore better for every-day wear) as well as cutters to work with to get exactly the stone you want to go with that beautiful setting!

Congrats!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
You might want to post your inquiry over one the Colored Stones board, and I know they (we) would be glad to help!

What does your budget look like? For the green family, I would look into nice green sapphire or green spinel.

If you''re willing to take some care, then I qould consider a minty colored garnet, a lighter tsavorite garnet, a blue green aquamarine, or a lighter toned emerald.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 3:26:38 PM
Author: IndyLady
You might want to post your inquiry over one the Colored Stones board, and I know they (we) would be glad to help!

What does your budget look like? For the green family, I would look into nice green sapphire or green spinel.

If you''re willing to take some care, then I qould consider a minty colored garnet, a lighter tsavorite garnet, a blue green aquamarine, or a lighter toned emerald.
Admin will take care of it, I have asked them to move it over!

Dreaming of You

Rough_Rock
Thanks for moving it to the right place! I have been stalking this site for a while but I''m still trying to get the hang of things! For my boyfriend a budget isn''t a problem but I would like to not spend too much on a center stone
7.gif
I know erings are a very big thing but to me I am more excited about spending the rest of my life with him. A little bit of sparkle never hurt anyone but I really think a light green gemstone would fit my personality so much more than a traditional diamond...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 3:21:55 PM
Author: Lorelei
Hi Dreaming and welcome!

No you are not crazy to not want a diamond, coloured stones can make a very traditional and beautiful choice for an engagement ring. For example, poster Pandora has a fantastic green tanzanite ( I believe) which you could look at. What I will do, is ask for your thread to be moved to Colored Stones, that way the CS folks can help you better. If you need diamond help then Rocky Talk is the place for that should you change your mind.

Just an FYI, Pandora's ring is a tsavorite.

Also I would recommend a green sapphire. Green spinels are very rare, and often dark in color. But a green sapphire would be a lovely ering. Here is a beautiful green sapphire RHR that someone had made: Link

ETA: What color light green are you wanting? Blue green? Yellow green? Olive-y green? Gray-green? If you have a picture of the color you'd like (doesn't have to be a gemstone) that would help us out.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 3:47:54 PM
Author: Dreaming of You
Thanks for moving it to the right place! I have been stalking this site for a while but I'm still trying to get the hang of things! For my boyfriend a budget isn't a problem but I would like to not spend too much on a center stone
7.gif
I know erings are a very big thing but to me I am more excited about spending the rest of my life with him. A little bit of sparkle never hurt anyone but I really think a light green gemstone would fit my personality so much more than a traditional diamond...
No problem, its difficult to find your way around at first!

It can be quieter here at weekends, but as of tomorrow the CS team should be around and they will be able to help you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2010 3:50:14 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 3/7/2010 3:21:55 PM
Hi Dreaming and welcome!

Just an FYI, Pandora''s ring is a tsavorite.

Also I would recommend a green sapphire. Green spinels are very rare, and often dark in color. But a green sapphire would be a lovely ering. Here is a beautiful green sapphire RHR that someone had made: Link
Thanks Freke, I wasn''t sure!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 3:51:24 PM
Thanks Freke, I wasn''t sure!
You''re welcome.
1.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s absolutely nothing wrong with a colored gem as your E-ring if thats what you want.

I would second that you''re better off looking at a sapphire if you want something green. Tsavorite is gorgeous but isn''t as hard as sapphires are.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How often are you planning to wear this stone/ring? 24/7 or are you open to removing it once you are home? Must it be green or it's all right to be a little bluish or yellowish? The answers to the above questions will lead you to the proper recommendation of which stone is best suited.

Green Sapphire = good for 24/7 wear but comes mostly in slightly grayish green.
Chrysoberyl = With care, can be an everyday ring. Tends to be yellowish green although with lot of patience, a more greenish colour can be found.
Mint or grossular green Garnet = Softer stone that is NOT everyday wear and requires babying but very dispersive. Comes in yellowish green to pure green to slightly bluish green.

There are other green stones out there (tourmaline, green beryl, emerald, etc) but I don't recommend them because it appears that you want them to be able to handle the stresses of daily wear. Green spinel is very rare and tends to have a lot of blue and is quite darkish, and tsavorite has to be at least of medium tone to be called a tsavorite. Anything lighter technically should be called a green grossular garnet.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Dreaming!

uncchild has a pretty green sapphire center stone in her ering. (W/Firefox now, I can''t link for some reason, I''m sorry!) Emerald might not be the best choice-you''d have to be super careful with it. Pandora takes her beautiful tsavorite off and takes special care w/it. Chrysoberyl can be green and it sparkles like mad too.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you already bought the setting? In general, it is easier to buy the stone first and then the setting, just to make sure it will fit. But, if you already have the setting, what size and shape is it for? And what budget do you have in mind? Folk around here are great at finding beautiful sones.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a lighter green the only gem I can think of that''s durable and suitable for every day wear is a sapphire. Emeralds, Garnets (including Tsavorites) need to be handled with much care on a daily basis so although people do have them as e-rings, if it''s an expensive stone, hopefully they''ve learned how to look after them. Diopside is a bottle green colour (typically) but again, probably not hardy enough.

Chrysoberyl is typically more yellow or brown toned but sparkles like crazy and would be lovely.

Its sister is called Alexandrite and it''s a colour changing gem stone. During the day it''s an emerald green but not as velvet looking but under incandescent lighting a good one turns to Amethyst purple colour. It is however an expensive stone because they''re not common and good ones are highly prized.

If you search on this forum you''ll find examples of them all.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a stunning green chrysoberyl cut by Richard Homer that would make an amazing e-ring. Link Chrysoberyl tends to be a lighter shade of green than green sapphire and is also a nice hard stone.

RichardHomer6148GChrysoberyla.jpg

Dreaming of You

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback! We did already buy the setting, it should be here the first of April. My setting is for a princess cut up to a 1.5ct. I was looking for more of a minty green I guess. I have always loved green amethyst gemstones but I wasn't sure if that was acceptable for every day wear... and I plan on wearing it as much as possible!

Dreaming of You

Rough_Rock
Heres a ring that has the color I am leaning towards and it is a green amethyst...

41JzZPJJu+L._SS400_.jpg

Dreaming of You

Rough_Rock
After looking around a bit I found this green sapphire I like but am still unsure on the specs and how it will look in my setting any thought?

http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-252655.php?goog=prod

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 7:55:52 PM
Heres a ring that has the color I am leaning towards and it is a green amethyst...
Well, the good news is that green amethyst is not an expensive stone, if that is what you like. You can go ahead and wear your ring, and if (no, make that when) the stone chips, you can just replace it.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 8:05:59 PM
After looking around a bit I found this green sapphire I like but am still unsure on the specs and how it will look in my setting any thought?

http://www.gemselect.com/sapphire/sapphire-252655.php?goog=prod
Dreaming, do you prefer light green with a lot of grey overtones? The examples you put up seem to be more of a green/grey on my monitor.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen some nice Montana sapphires in that lighter toned green color. I would shoot an email to Dan Stair, Gemline Inc, and Precision Gem because I''ve seen a few Montana sapphires on their sites.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Green amethyst (prasiolite) is a lovely stone, but it usually does have a bit of gray tone. Some doesn't and is more bluish/minty green. Keep in mind that it's almost always treated, so if you prefer untreated stones, go for something else.

I haven't received the stone yet (it should arrive tomorrow), but Peter Torraca just cut this stone for me from a more bluish-green piece of prasiolite rough. Doug Menadue of Bespoke Gems usually carries some prasiolite too, as "sage quartz" (there's a 10mm asscher on his site right now that doesn't look very grayish).

(ETA: To be clear and give credit where credit is due, the picture below is my upcoming Peter Torraca asscher, not Doug's also beautiful asscher.)

Pra314_sm.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Do you know what kind of work you want to do with kids once you graduate? If you are going to be on the ECI end of things, than most of the kids will be in that active toddler age. Things to think about when picking your stone.

Stones have different levesl of hardness. Diamond has been given a grade of 10, which is the hardest substance I have seen for a gemstone. Sapphires and rubies (which are the same stone just come in different colors) have a grade of 9. They are still hard enough for daily wear.

amethyst are rated as a 7. They are hard enough to wear in jewelry not not for daily wear. I personally would only wear a stone like that on the weekends, or if I was going out at night. If I had a desk job, I would probably feel comfortable. But I don''t wear those stones when chasing toddlers around!

Just something to think about. If you want a green amethyst and are ok with chips and scratches, than go for it. If you are looking for a forever stone, than I would look at other varieties.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Pandora here...

You''ve picked a hard cut to find in coloured stones, and one that will need more babying than an oval or cushion would. Could the setting take a square cushion rather than a square stepcut?

My suggestions on stones would be:

Chrysoberyl - reasonably hard (8.5 on the Mohs) and is nice and sparkly.
Mali garnet - this stuff is spectacular IMO - sparkles like mad and has some fire (due to the nice whack of andradite in it (demantoid garnets are andradite)), will need a fair bit of babying as it''s not the hardest of the garnet group.

Both of these tend to the yellow.

Green sapphire I''ve never really found to be a nice colour; Green Grossular Garnet is lovely if you like a greener green that is on the lighter toned side; a green beryl - although emerald is also a beryl, green beryl is a very different colour and might suit if you like the colour of green amethyst.

I wouldn''t recommend chrome diopside or peridot as they''re both too soft IMO - I''m super careful with my stones and I''ve still managed to chip a great chunk out of a peridot or two (August birthday so got given rather a few!).

Have fun on the hunt - I had a great time doing my engagement ring!

hey joe

Rough_Rock
Well, I am no lady, nor is this green. But your setting made me think of this ring, this very nice ring.

BrianGavin_Yellow8_121509 (2).jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Chrysoberyl also comes in a variety called vanadium chrysoberyl, that is a light bluish shade of green, some would say minty. So it''s worth checking out as it''s not too expensive, but it''s also not the easiest stone to find. Have fun with your search!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Hereis a vanadium chrysoberyl from AJS. Its the wrong shape but maybe the color will give you a sense of if its right for you...

vanadium_chrysoberyl_AJS.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my minty green beryl to give you an idea of what this shade can come in. This is a rare color for beryl, and might be difficult to find. I purchased this stone from ebay dealer Technofacet, and he cut it from old rough. Beryl is not as durable as chrysoberyl, but finding a nice minty green chrysoberyl is difficult to do. Most are too washed out.

Some green grossular garnets are a light shade of minty green too. Check out AJSgems.com under the category "tsavorite" to see some. They have some darker forest greens, and more minty green shades.

TLmintyberylLOGR1.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results