shape
carat
color
clarity

New Sapphire Arrived! Setting advice?

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pricescopers!

My Jeff White sapphire just arrived, and it's gorgeous! I'm not quite sure how to set it. It's just a bit under 2 carats, 7.28mm in diameter.

See the attached photo. I reset my three stone assher with David Klass into bezels, and I really love the look and durability. This sapphire will probably be for my right ring finger which is about an 8.5. I'd like to bezel the sapphire as well. Not a fan of halos, but I'd like to have some finger coverage. My original wedding set had tapered baguettes on the sides, but I think they would be too small for an 8.5

Oh Pricescoper friends, do you have any setting suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Jeff's video:

IMG_1770 copy.jpg

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Such a sparkly stone!

For more finger coverage, would you consider Belcher-style settings either too old-fashioned or too masculine (chrysoberyl, demantoid)?
Belcher.jpg

A three-stone with two diamonds could work:
ThreeStone.jpg
(Maybe with proportionally smaller diamonds.)

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Such a sparkly stone!

For more finger coverage, would you consider Belcher-style settings either too old-fashioned or too masculine (chrysoberyl, demantoid)?
Belcher.jpg

A three-stone with two diamonds could work:
ThreeStone.jpg
(Maybe with proportionally smaller diamonds.)

@Starstruck8 Belcher isn't really my style. I like the idea of a three stone, but I have a three stone Asscher e-ring. Would it be weird to have a three stone on each hand? ;-)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
What's your style? There are so many bezel options. You can do a Sholdt style, you can do milgrained, engraved or cut down collet bezel... there are many!

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
What's your style? There are so many bezel options. You can do a Sholdt style, you can do milgrained, engraved or cut down collet bezel... there are many!

@ItsMainelyYou I tend to prefer more streamlined style, and something that doesn't sit up high. My three stone Asscher is bezeled with milgrain, but the rest of it is pretty simple. I'd like to have the stone be the star of the show. Engraving is a possibility too.

Not a fan of prongs--my original wedding set had a prong loosen and the stone fell out. I'm just paranoid about it now. ;-)

I've seen a few Sholdt settings and they are gorgeous.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock

How could I forget about Sholdt???
1713234947448.png
1713234993361.png
1713235010984.png

And there's also CvB, though she does a lot of collet settings which you might want to avoid if you don't like prongs:
1713235154282.png
1713235171849.png

Attachments

• 1713234863234.png
    1713234863234.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 2

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
@newtojewels Holy Smokes that Erika Winters Jin is amazing!!! Hmmmmm......

Isn't it? I love all of her designs and hope to one day own a piece from her. Sadly they have a price tag to match, but your sapphire deserves a fabulous home!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s lovely! Perhaps a toi et moi ring with a diamond as the second stone? The prices on diamonds are really good right now.

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pricescope friends!

Time for an update, but I'm kind of undecided. I've narrowed it down to one of three options.

1. A bezeled solitaire, possibly with split shank sides, maybe some milgrain or beading around the stone for visual interest. The sapphire is 7.28mm in diameter.

2. A three stone using definitely not PS quality but sentimental diamonds from earrings. They are round, about 3.8ish mm each in diameter. These would be bezeled, more simple perhaps than the center sapphire.

3. I'm working with David Klass. Have him source some pears (or maybe kites/shields?) to use as bezeled side stones.

So, given that I've got short wide fingers, size 8.5 ish. What would you do Pricescope friends??

Hi Pricescope friends!

Time for an update, but I'm kind of undecided. I've narrowed it down to one of three options.

1. A bezeled solitaire, possibly with split shank sides, maybe some milgrain or beading around the stone for visual interest. The sapphire is 7.28mm in diameter.

2. A three stone using definitely not PS quality but sentimental diamonds from earrings. They are round, about 3.8ish mm each in diameter. These would be bezeled, more simple perhaps than the center sapphire.

3. I'm working with David Klass. Have him source some pears (or maybe kites/shields?) to use as bezeled side stones.

So, given that I've got short wide fingers, size 8.5 ish. What would you do Pricescope friends??

I'm always going to err on the side of extra bling, so I love option 3. And option 2 would be my second choice. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm partial to a three stone, and who doesn't love an interesting side stone?! Can't wait to see some mockups.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m bucking the trend and voting for an engraved bezel. I have this ring and love the look, which is sort of antique but the ring isn’t delicate and the gem is well protected.

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
I’m bucking the trend and voting for an engraved bezel. I have this ring and love the look, which is sort of antique but the ring isn’t delicate and the gem is well protected.

IMG_9326.jpeg

@MakingTheGrade I don't want to sound like a stalker or anything, but I have screenshots of your ring in my "inspiration" folder... ;-) Just to get a feel, what are the approximate dimensions of your stone and your finger size? It's amazing with your pear or maybe a cushion, but do you think it would work with a round stone 7.28mm?

Your ring was the first thing I thought of actually, maybe with beading instead of engraving. Then I thought about some sentimental earring diamonds, and then I thought about possibly a three stone with pear sides.

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
I'm partial to a three stone, and who doesn't love an interesting side stone?! Can't wait to see some mockups.

@ItsMainelyYou , I love a three stone--my second ering is the three stone Assher you can see in the first pic. Would a three stone on each hand look weird? Not like I'm that worried about it. ;-)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade I don't want to sound like a stalker or anything, but I have screenshots of your ring in my "inspiration" folder... ;-) Just to get a feel, what are the approximate dimensions of your stone and your finger size? It's amazing with your pear or maybe a cushion, but do you think it would work with a round stone 7.28mm?

I dont know the size of the tsav and the report isn’t easily found right now haha but if I turn it up I’ll update you! My finger is a 6.5

You could consider a design like this, maybe even gypsy or bead set a tiny round diamond if you wanted instead of engraving the entire surface.
IMG_4017.jpeg

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Hello again lovely pricescopers!

I have a first draft CAD from David Klass, I was initially thinking of a split shank with pear shaped diamonds on the sides, with the sapphire in the middle, with some milgrain around the center stone. All in platinum.

What do you think? Does it look too heavy with both the split shank and the pears?

Thanks!!
DK 102096-QUAD-1.png

Hello again lovely pricescopers!

I have a first draft CAD from David Klass, I was initially thinking of a split shank with pear shaped diamonds on the sides, with the sapphire in the middle, with some milgrain around the center stone. All in platinum.

What do you think? Does it look too heavy with both the split shank and the pears?

Thanks!!
DK 102096-QUAD-1.png

Have you considered throwing a bit of milgrain or texturing in there to "lighten" it up a bit? It's lovely though.

ETA: Oh wow, you literally said you were adding milgrain around the center stone. lol I'm an idiot. Personally, I would go a step farther and extend the milgrain down the sides of the shank.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The bezel is almost 1.5mm. I wonder if it could be thinner. It might mean you have to close the basket. But I like a whisper thin bezel.

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Pricescopers!

I'm back again with another revision, and I'd love your input. I think the original idea I had was too "heavy" for lack of a better word, because my fingers are super short. Also, I really want all the emphasis to be on the center stone. So, I sent some screenshots of some rings from DK's instagram with some ideas. Here's his second CAD.

DK 102096-QUAD-2.jpg

Things I like:
1. I like that the narrower shank puts the emphasis on the stone.
2. there will be milgrain around the center stone and around the pears on the side.

Things I'd like to change, and please let me know your thoughts.

1. Basket-I live in Colorado, and I'd like to make the supports in basket more angular/mountainish if possible. The "swoop" is pretty though. Any ideas?

2. I'd like the shank to be narrower, maybe 2mm?, and I'm not really digging the "cuts" at the end of the pear.

3. Shank Idea number 1: narrower shank, a super subtle knife edge with milgrain extending down from the tips of the pears? So if you took a cross section, it would be a really fat pear.

4. Shank Idea Number 2: narrower shank, eliminate the "cuts" and the pear side stones, small milgrain down each edge. brushed finish.

Oh lovely pricescopers! What would you do??

Thanks!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about an octagonal faux bezel? Then the shape of the bezel would mirror the struts in the basket. Could set the side pears in kite shapes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results