shape
carat
color
clarity

New Pendant Setting Currently with Prasiolite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is it bad to find a pendant setting first then look for a stone? I found this gorgeous setting that I just absolutely fell in love with but it is currently set with a prasiolite. Not a stone that I was looking for or want for this setting. I talked it over with my jeweler and he can switch out the stone once I find one that will fit. I will probably have to have one cut because it needs to be 8.5 x 6.5 to fit the double bezel. Hubby thinks it should be a ruby, umm do you know what that would cost??? yikes. Maybe a gorgeous red garnet, lol. So I''m on the hunt but in the mean time I still can wear it!
31.gif
I''ll get better pics tomorrow when the sun is out.

cmsprasiolite1.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif

cmsprasiolite2.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3.gif

cmsprasiolite3.jpg

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
It''s gorgeous! I think you''re going to enjoy wearing it in the meantime while you''re gem hunting
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic pendant!!! that will be a fun project. and heck yah! I''d buy the pendant first then find a stone later. Its gorgeous!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I love the pendant! If I saw something like that I''d totally snatch it up and find a stone after the fact!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that is gorgeous! Yum!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so I''m just sitting here slack jawed and drooling. Catmom that is one of the most gorgeous necklaces I have ever seen. Do whatever you need to with that center to make it yours, but honey... get that thing.

Oh MOMMA that is beautiful!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I love that necklace! Its gorgeous; it reminds me of old-world glamor.

Do you have any idea of what your budget looks like? Untreated rubies seem to be pretty hard to come by; I've seen some pretty affordable ones on Gary's site, but quite in your size. Precision gem also has a couple that are in the bright pink to magenta range, but again, I believe they will be too small. Besides that...the Natural Sapphire company does have rubies..here's one in the $13,000 range
23.gif
which is quite a lot of money! If you don't mind a heated and fissure filled ruby, then you might check this out; its an emerald cut that is exactly 8.5x6.5.

A garnet might be a gorgeous option as well!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DiaDiva! I will enjoy wearing it and am not in a hurry until the right stone comes along.

D&T and packrat, I''m glad to know I''m not really crazy!

Thanks cind11!

Oh gypsy sweetie don''t worry, it''s already mine and around my neck as we speak.
31.gif
9.gif

Thanks szh07 you silly person you! I think I''ll stay away from the jtv ruby although it is only $52. I don''t really have a budget but I do know that a ruby of this size would be mega $$$! I''m thinking I may want to keep it under 2K[or less
9.gif
]. I already have a blue and pink sapphire pendant, aqua, tsavorite, amethyst, blue topaz, and peridot. So that''s why we were thinking it should be red. I don''t have a red pendant.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! How fun to look for a new gemstone.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Catmom - once again you''ve picked out a gorgeous piece! Did your jeweler make the pendant? If you take the prasiolite out, he''ll have to make a new bezel for whatever stone you choose, because you usually can''t salvage it. It''s absolutely gorgeous now, though.
30.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a gorgeous pendant! How about asking one of our beloved cutters here to custom cut you something?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking garnet. Cause ruby is gonna be outrageously pricey, probably, depending on your standards for a ruby.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Man I like it just as is ... but I''ve always been a fan of grey or grey-green stones. Such a muted, understated, elegant look.

Would you ever try it out that way for a bit & see if it grows on you?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2009 12:38:23 AM
Author: decodelighted
Man I like it just as is ... but I''ve always been a fan of grey or grey-green stones. Such a muted, understated, elegant look.

Would you ever try it out that way for a bit & see if it grows on you?
Funny, when I saw it, I thought the same thing. The necklace is so elegant because the stone is understated.

But whatever you decide, it''s a knockout for sure.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That pendant reminds me of LD''s one with the rubelite, that she got not so long ago. So maybe you could consider rubelite (would cost less than a comparable ruby), and I think a spessartite would look nice in there too. Or how about something really fun, like a bicolor tourmaline; that necklace looks crazy 20''s enough to pull it off (and by that I mean 20''s of the 20th century).

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
That''s a gorgeous necklace! I like the idea of a red stone; the pale green just seems to disappear into it.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks marcyc!! It will be fun.

cellentini, my jeweler didn''t make the piece and I''m not sure who did. I will have to ask him the designer next time I''m in the store. He questioned his bench jeweler like crazy on whether it was posible to switch out the stone and he is very sure that he can do it without damaging the bezel. He will have to demolish the prasiolite however to get it out. I trust this bench jeweler as he has done some very fine bench work for me in the past.

Thanks simplysplendid, I am certainly keeping that idea at the top of my list right now. The bench jeweler said he could get a standard 9x7 to fit but then I would lose one of the bezels which I don''t want to do so unless I find and exact 8.5x6.5, then it will have to be custom cut.

gypsy, I was thinking garnet too or maybe spinel. I need someone with some photoshop skills to make a picture with the stone red. [hint hint]

Deco and TG, I hear you! It really is quite lovely as is and I will be wearing it this way until I find a replacement stone. The thing is my hubby just hates the stone in here and as he bought it for me as an anniversary gift [29 years on the 23rd
6.gif
] I really want him to like it as well.

Thanks Mr. Ma Re, I never thought about rubellite. I will def have to explore that option. I am open to other options as well.

Thanks Kismet, that''s what my hubby thinks too.

Here are some better daytime shots. You can see the exquisite detail work much better in these shots I think.

cmsprasiolite4.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cmsprasiolite5.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cmsprasiolite6.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
my fav...

cmsprasiolite7.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is lovely! I think a nice bright colour would be great there, too.

Interesting approach: destroy the stone but save the setting. Since we usually talk about removing/resetting stones with some value, this is rarely feasiable.

By the way: neck shot! neck shot!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, LD, ok here''s the neck shot! It is a rather interesting approach to dismounting the stone but since it is a prasiolite I''m okay with it.

cmsprasiolite8.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Michelle,

That looks so pretty on your neck!

A garnet or rubellite would be great. I agree that a ruby that looked good enough for that setting would be very expensive, unless you went with a high-quality synthetic one.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow-it looks even better on your neck! I still really like the green..but if your hubby doesn''t like it, I get why you''d want to change it. What about yellow?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spinel is a great idea. I''d call Wink and ask him if Richard Homer can do a flat facet red spinel for it.

It looks amazing on you. Wear it in the best of health!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2009 12:30:45 AM
Author: Gypsy
I''m thinking garnet. Cause ruby is gonna be outrageously pricey, probably, depending on your standards for a ruby.

I was gonna say the same thing..
garnets are LOVELY!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This is interesting, because normally a bezel can''t be saved. What will your jeweler do, just shatter the stone to save the bezel?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for rubellite! Its sounds like you''ve got a lot of greens, but Mastercutgems has nice and largish emeralds, which I think might be pretty too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results