shape
carat
color
clarity

New chrysoberyl pics - any suggestions for design?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
I was completely taken with Kismet''s new ring and knew I had to have a chrysoberyl for myself. For Christmas I got this barion triangle from Peter Torraca.

It''s a bit of a different shape, but I''d like to make it into a right hand ring. When I saw Kismet''s ring, I felt like it was neutral enough (and I mean that in a good way) to be worn with a lot of different things, which is what I''m after. I mocked-up a couple of different design ideas, both bezels, one with side diamonds, one without, but I''d love to get other ideas. How would this look set E-W? How about E-W with one diamond (round? square?) set on the small side of the triangle? Anybody have other ideas?

Vendor pic:

p1_torraca_chrysoberyl.jpg

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
One of my pics

p1_chry_jar1.jpg

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Hand shot

p1_chry_hand2.jpg

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Here are the mock-ups of the designs I was thinking about. Would love other ideas.

p1_possible_chry_designs.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone, I like the second design.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous colour stone pierreone and what a fun new project.
I really like the cut/shape too - I like the idea of setting it as it is in the first photo,
with one round diamond, like an asymmetric design.

Sorry I don''t have p''shop skills like yours, but are you familiar with Jim Meyer''s asymmetric rings? that''s the general idea..

I would also use two tone for sure!
30.gif

Are you able to take another photo of it point down on the hand to see what looks nicer?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooooh! I like the first design best....

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Both of your designs are great, I think you grasped well what this stone is about - modern and edgy in both shape and cutting style, almost neon kind of color, but still with a gentle side to it. I''m sure it has a lot of brilliance too, as it''s a chrysoberyl (high R. I.) of good transparency. Trilliants can be tricky to design into rings, but not impossible of course. I''d keep it quite simple, contemporary, linear, that sort of thing. If the stone isn''t too large you can even consider flush setting for it. Maybe doing a straight line of channel set brilliants along each side but at a slightly lower angle would be interesting - all together it could look like an outline of a fan (if you can visualize that).

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Lovinggems & HotPozzum, thanks for weighing in.
AJ, thanks. I looked at Jim Meyer''s site and tried to interpret his asymmetric ideas into a more modern design. Not sure if it''s working?
Mr. ma re, thanks. Overall my general style is more simple and modern, so I''m glad to hear you say that''s what would work best with this stone. I''ve tried a couple of different designs, but I think I''m not understanding the fan image (on vacation, up all night watching movies, no brain power left
1.gif
)

Here''s a two-tone design that includes the chrysoberyl bezel on one side, and a differently-shaped diamond bezel on the other, with a small gap in between. Square or round diamond - or different shape altogether?

p1_chrys_diam_bezels.jpg

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another design that puts the chrysoberyl off to one side, with a row of channel set diamonds.

p1_chry_left.jpg

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Wow your mock ups are great. I like the first design as it would bring out the colour of the stone.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never actually worked with this guy (or even spoken to him) but I really like some of the designs at Cronin''s Jewelers. This one is a pear but I can see it pretty easily with a trillion.

cronin1_8.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
This one reminds me of Fly Girl''s 9 sided garnet ring.

cronin2_10.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
This one is my favorite.

cronin2_11.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the last few pictures of the trillion with a diamond accent or two. I prefer the accent stone to be next to the chrysoberyl rather than have a gap in between.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 6:23:28 AM
Author: pierreone

Mr. ma re, thanks. Overall my general style is more simple and modern, so I''m glad to hear you say that''s what would work best with this stone. I''ve tried a couple of different designs, but I think I''m not understanding the fan image (on vacation, up all night watching movies, no brain power left
1.gif
)
Don''t worry, folks here often have a hard time understanding my ideas, as they most often exist only in my head
2.gif
Let''s say that the fan idea is something like THIS, but with another line of diamonds going along the opposite side as well, so that when this arrangement would be viewed with the tip of the trillion facing down, it would look like (some sort of) a (weird looking) fan
9.gif
I''d also suggest that the shank is wider for this particular design so that the diamond part can be done more elegantly (less chunky). Fingers crossed that the link works.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone-WOW! I like the blue stone one Kismet posted and the mock ups w/the gap in the middle. The stone looks exactly like Peter''s picture too-just beautiful!

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
oddoneout, Chrono, packrat, thanks for your ideas.
Kismet, thanks for the pictures, I especially like the last two. I wonder how they would look with my much more straight-edged stone?
Mr. ma re, shoot, that link doesn''t work for me. I''d love to see the fan design.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 7:37:05 AM
Author: Kismet
This one is my favorite.
Great ring designs, Kismet. This one has gone into my idea folder.
30.gif
Stunning!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you ever checked out Green Lakes Jewelry Works? They have a lot of unusual designs using triangular shaped stones, some are pretty awesome.

I love the color of your stone, it looks delish.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 7:37:05 AM
Author: Kismet
This one is my favorite.

That''s what I was trying to explain pierreone - just like the last one kismet posted, I think something like that would be great.

Are you going to have BG do this one too?

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone. I too like the blue sapphire ring kismet posted (sorry I don''t have any ideas of my own)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Can''t find a photo that would explain the idea (and I can''t draw to save my life), so let''s put it simply; I''m talking about a partial halo, that would not go all around the triangle, but just follow "the V", and not follow it exactly at the same angles, but be a slightly wider V than that of the chryso with two lines still joined at the center. Makes sense?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
That cut corner triangle stone with the geometric framing and two tone inlay looks like a winning combination, I look forward to seeing the final design and handshots
9.gif

Date: 12/29/2009 6:23:28 AM
Lovinggems & HotPozzum, thanks for weighing in.
AJ, thanks. I looked at Jim Meyer''s site and tried to interpret his asymmetric ideas into a more modern design. Not sure if it''s working?
1.gif
)

Here''s a two-tone design that includes the chrysoberyl bezel on one side, and a differently-shaped diamond bezel on the other, with a small gap in between. Square or round diamond - or different shape altogether?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone! Can''t wait to see how you set it :)

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Everyone, thanks for chiming in with all the ideas. I know a few of you said you really liked Kismet''s pic of the blue stone with the small round diamond, so I played with it and have a really horrible mock-up. The problem is that the design is really swoopy and curvy, but my stone is very linear and hard looking. To me they just don''t seem to go together. Maybe someone has a better idea of how it could work.

p1_chry_small_dia_bz.jpg

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 3:17:00 AM
Author: ma re
Can''t find a photo that would explain the idea (and I can''t draw to save my life), so let''s put it simply; I''m talking about a partial halo, that would not go all around the triangle, but just follow ''the V'', and not follow it exactly at the same angles, but be a slightly wider V than that of the chryso with two lines still joined at the center. Makes sense?
Mr. ma re, is this similar to what you''re describing?

p1_chry_fan.jpg

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 12:40:28 AM
Author: arjunajane

Are you going to have BG do this one too?
AJ, if I go with diamonds in the design I''ll definitely get a quote from BG. If not, I may try working with a local jeweler.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 8:05:11 PM

Mr. ma re, is this similar to what you''re describing?
Exactly! But those spaces don''t need to be triangles, they can be straight lines as well (just at slightly different angles than the trilliant''s sides). Yes, you can have something cut to specific shape and size, but you can also channel set those spaces with brilliants that graduate in size. That could give the piece a very "well made look", cause attention to detail (like finding just the right melee and even using different sizes in the same project), shows that the design has be thought through and not just made to simply hold the gemstone.

P. S. I agree that some of the designs intended for more "curvy" cuts (like trillions or pears) might not necessarily work for your trilliant - nice to see you realize that.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
What a cool stone!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results