shape
carat
color
clarity

New Car or Used (improved)

Do you prefer to buy your cars new or used, and why?

• Used! I like my cars to have some character!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • New! New cars are a worthwhile investment!

• Fascinating question! I''ll put down anything just to be able to see the answers!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Italiahaircolor's thread about her birthday surprise for her husband -- and his surprise to her -- someone offered the following perspective:

It's fun to see different perspectives of different people, makes me curious how you grew up. In my family we had rules: No new cars, don't buy retail unless you have to, always try to raise your net worth; investments are key.

Not wanting to hijack Italia's thread, I thought it would be interesting to hear people's perspectives on the new versus used car debate. Is your perspective influenced by your family and the economic conditions you grew up in? Has it changed over time? Do you think that the reasons for buying used versus new -- the old addage that a new car starts to lose value the minute you drive it off the lot -- has changed over time?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me it totally depends on the economic climate, the car, etc.

Normally we love to buy slightly used cars. But right now with interest rates so low for new cars (a lot of 0% offers for us) and a few other factors, I think now is actually a great time to buy a new car.

So I guess for us it depends. It also depends on the car. If we are buying a subaru often the new ones are only a few thousand more than the used! So in that case we''d go for the new to get the entire warranty.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
used.

i''ve bought new but find the savings of buying used to outweigh that burning desire to drive a new car. i also tend to buy from a private seller and have never been burnt.

mz

ps i currently drive a 1996 honda accord ex with about 170,000 miles....i bought her february, 2009 when she had a mere 145,000 miles on her. love this car.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I posed the question, I''ll try to start
2.gif

As I was growing up my family bought mostly used cars. It was a mixture of philosophy and necessity, and it helped that my father knew his way around pretty much anything mechanical.

My first two cars were used heaps. I was able to handle basic fixes (gap that distributor? On the side of the freeway No problem!) For my next car I set out to buy a used car, almost got terribly swindled, and ended up with a brand new ''85 Toyota Corolla. I loved having a brand new, trouble-free car!

I now drive a MINI that I also bought new. Between the all-inclusive 3-year warranty and several years of high trade-in values, I don''t think buying used would have made much difference economically... plus I wouldn''t have had the pleasure that I get from having new car. (In the case of the MINI, it was also a car that drew lots of attention for the first year or so!)

I''m thinking that these days, in many cases, buying a used car doesn''t really offer an advantage over a new car with a good warranty.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m from a used car family for sure. I don''t think my parents have ever bought a new car. They always get nice cars that are a few years old and they always pay cash for them. My dad does have a company car, though, so he gets a new SUV every 2 or so years.

I think sometimes it does make sense to buy a new car. For example, my twin sister got an amazing deal on a new Toyota that was the previous year''s model. It was so good that my older brother bought one there the same day she bought hers! My brother ended up selling his several months later because he needed a bigger car and he didn''t lose a penny in the deal-I think he made a few hundred bucks, actually.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I voted that it depends. For myself, only new will do. I know next to nothing about cars and I don''t want to buy someone else''s problem and end up spending a fortune trying to get it to run. On the other hand, if we''re talking a 16 year old with a fresh license then I say used. A kid doesn''t not need a new car and should earn it for themselves. I started my driving with a POS car that my parents bought me, graduated to a better used car that was financed in my name and paid off 2 years early by my parents as a gift, and then traded that in on my current car - which I bought (financed) new with my own money.

In my family my mom has always driven the nicer car and my dad the older one since he can make junk run. My sister drives a car that is 11 years old and is titled in my mom''s name.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We tend to buy new--like the benefits and new car smell
9.gif

That said, I guess I should qualify that by stating--it depends on what we are in the market for. DH bought a deilsh MB coupe a few years back--a few thousand kms. meant double digit savings. Made more sense than buying new. We are now in the market for a new 4WD, whether it is a car or SUV. We''ve seen two rather costly models we are interested in, and b/c they again only have a few thousdand kms. on it, it means tremendous savings and the warrenty is still like buying new.

Lastly, I am not buying anything used for my son--I want him to have something with safe/performs well/full warrenty, and if I have to buy new for peace of mind, we will.

cheers--Sharon

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 6:08:45 PM
Author: neatfreak
For me it totally depends on the economic climate, the car, etc.

Normally we love to buy slightly used cars. But right now with interest rates so low for new cars (a lot of 0% offers for us) and a few other factors, I think now is actually a great time to buy a new car.

So I guess for us it depends. It also depends on the car. If we are buying a subaru often the new ones are only a few thousand more than the used! So in that case we''d go for the new to get the entire warranty.

neat already said exactly what I was thinking. In a lot of cases (luxury cars), it makes a lot of sense to buy one that is a year or so old.

I drive a Honda Civic, which we did purchase new. In this case, it did not make any sense to us to buy used because Civics hold their value so well. A year or two old only knocks off a couple thousand dollars.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''ve had the same car for 10 years, my only car, given to me by my parents. So I don''t have much to stand on here. But my preference would be for new cars, but to negotiate the price down as much as possible.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
we never buy used...we usually lease since my husband changed cars like I change bags
31.gif
...seriously he gets sick of a car by the 3rd yr...

but when we used to purchase our cars, we never bought used. Didn''t want to buy someone else''s problems (that''s how I was raised)...always buy new unless you know the used car pretty well

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
I just bought a new car myself, a Scion Xb to be exact (
30.gif
) and I would not have it any other way. I prefer the warranties on the new vehicles. It doesn''t hurt that the Toyota brand holds its value.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BUMP! In an attempt to overtake that rival poll!
2.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely buy about a 2 year used car. This is what most millionaires do.....it is pretty stupid to take the depreciation hit on the first 2 years of a new car, but I don''t like to throw money out the window. I guess if you just have money to burn, new is okay, but I prefer not to put so much money into a depreciating asset.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
We have always bought new, except when buying a car for our high school age son (he was taking classes at two different high schools, and needed a car to get to class). Then we drive our cars for 10-12 years, or until they rust through. We live in the snow, salt and rust belt.

I like buying new because you know what you have, and since we drive the car forever, we can take proper care of the maintanence from the very beginning. Those many years without car payments are when a reliable car is really cheap to own.

ETA: Our newest car is a PT Cruiser, and the price difference between new and slightly used was only a few hundred dollars and it just wasn't worth going used. We wanted the new car warranties. We purchased an extended warranty for $700 when the car was new, and it just paid for over $2300 in repairs. First time we had gotten the warranty, and it has paid off big time.
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
always a year or two used.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
For me, until recently, I always bought used. I never really thought about. My first car was brand new (thanks Dad) but that was like, as many of listed, a safety concern--plus, I loved the new Acura CL and wanted one, but there was such a limited availability, we had to get new or not at all...but when I wanted something different, after I finished school, I selected a used mustang (thanks again, Dad).

From them on...being on my own...I bought used. It didn''t really matter to me, to be perfectly honest. I was young, and have always paid cash outright--so cheap was good. I had a used Blazer and a used Explorer. Low miles, great condition, the right price.

But now that I''m a working, earning adult...it''s different. I transport clients, we go to fancy places, we take long road trips...we have a different set of needs. And, lets not forget, I''m very specific. I want leather, navigation, tow hitch, a certain color, a certain interior color, 3rd row seating, and I usually have an exact model/make in mind. That makes it hard to buy used, because it just might not be available.

For me, it''s no longer about dollars and cents...it''s about comfort and happiness, and you can''t put a price tag on that. So if getting what I want down to the very last detail means buying new, so be it.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Never used, can't afford to fixing them [time]

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
depends on what type of car i''m looking for...

if i were looking for a Civic or Corolla then i''d prefer buy a new one,cuz the price b/t new and a 3 yr old used car aren''t that much difference on these type of cars (been there done that) plus you''ll get a 3yr/36K warranty on a new one.

if i were looking for a big sedan then i''d prefer to buy a lo mileage 3 yr old, cuz the price on these big sedans drop so much in value during the first 3 yrs.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
Growing up, my parents always bought used cars for themselves and my oldest brother.. After many duds and watching some guys pay $200 for my brother''s car that they had to push out of the driveway, my parents never bought used again. All of the maintenance that they had to do just didn''t make up the difference. They go through cars so fast due to the amount of driving they do so they like to start out fresh. I have always had new cars (except one my dad handed down to me when I finished college).. I honestly never thought to buy a used car until I went with a friend when she was car shopping. It was eye-opening for sure! She got a great deal on a 1 year old car. I''m not sure if I was convinced enough to go used-car shopping though since I bought a new car about 6 months later.. There is something about being able to pick out what you want instead of having to take what''s available. And there''s always that new car smell
30.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
our last four purchases...

used 2001 LX Civic purchased in 2003 with 9000 miles on the OD for older daughter.
new 2001 4 dr Toyota truck for myself.
new 2006 IS 350 Lexus for wife.
new 2007 LX Civic for the younger daughter.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
depends for me, Growing up, we bought two - three years old cars. I''ve bought new and used cars myself. DH bought his car used three years old. I''ve had pretty good experience with used cars. Even with a brand new car my (audi) I had some issues with it the first year. It also depends of the price difference if its only going to be about 3k between new and used, and I''m going to get three years full warranty and maintenance on a brand new vehicle opposed to a used i''ll buy new.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock

Interesting thread. My family was very much from the ''new car'' school of thought. My mum used to change over her cars every two years or so, so she always seemed to have a brand new car. I think this is quite common in Singapore, where cars are usually ''scrapped'' when they''re 10 years old.

DH''s family definitely believe in used cars. The first new car DH ever bought was when he was with me, and we have both decided we will be very hesitant about buying a brand new car in future because 2 weeks after we bought our car, someone hit it when it was parked in our driveway (and we were away on our honeymoon) and damaged three sides of the car. I think if it had been a used car we wouldn''t have cared as much.

We are looking at buying a car for me early next year and my parents were very concerned when I said we would buy a second hand car. The don''t trust used cars, but I think for a new driver they are definitely the better way to go.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
well used pay cash

My current car is 14 years old and I bought it 8 years ago.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I are not wealthy and refuse to go into debt for a vehicle, so we buy used to keep me...well, sane. We have two vehicles now and paid cash for both--one about 8 years ago and one this year. We've worked really hard for the money we've saved, so to write a $30K check for a depreciating asset is too difficult for me. We found our Liberty with fewer than 18K miles on it for less than $10K and it's been fantastic so far. I'm not terribly picky--as long as the vehicle has a stick shift, I'm happy--so I am pretty passive when it comes to deciding on what I want. When I buy a Ferrari, I'll buy it new
2.gif
, but until then I'm very content with used.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my car as a demo- I got around $3,000 off and it only had 89kms on it
9.gif

FI always buys his cars second hand, no more than 3 years old.. sometimes you can pick up a really good deal privately.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Used. Never had a lemon yet (knock wood).

My last car was a Scion xA that was one year old and was the Parts Manager''s freebie car. I knew it had been taken care of since it was at the dealership every day and maintenance would have been free for him
2.gif

I''ve had it since 2005 and it only has 41K miles. I love it. The only thing I''ve done is change the oil twice a year (synthetic).

Well we got a new car this year... and it''s funny, both his side and my side do buy new cars.. but also used.

We got a new car for a reason- piece of mind. In the last 3 years I''ve had THE WORST LUCK EVER with cars.. same with him (a short list of things to happen to our cars in 3 years: 2 car fires, 1 severe hail storm to total his car, 2 minor ones that just dented the hell out of mine, crazy engine problems on mine that racked up thousands of dollars in fees.. that was NEVER FIXED as the problem was never found... heat going out in the dead of winter.. etc)

We were so sick of this that we bought a new car. With his job we got a discount and we traded my hell car in. Then we got the extra happy package that covers everything in the car. So far in the 4 months we''ve had it? HUGE ding in the windshield and 3 scratches... but it''s safe, I don''t get scared driving it, and we plan on keeping it at least 5 years-- my anxiety with our cars before was so bad I just stopped driving.

We considered a car that was an 08 with 29k miles that would''ve had some warrenty but it was honestly only a few thousand more for the brand new car and 0 miles.

I''m very very very very happy.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
For me, personally, I don''t want to end up on the side of the road with car issues. So, I suppose it''s about the car and the quality of the car, whether it be used or new.

With all of that said, my parents have always purchased new cars. But I know in the case of my dad and stepmom, they don''t buy new cars very often. My stepmom just finally got a new car, she previously had a 02 M320 SUV. I think she had it for 8 years.

I don''t think 16-17 (whatever the age of licensure in your state is) necessarily deserve new cars, but I think if you''ve worked 40 years, why not treat yourself to the car that you want.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only ever bought one new car, doubt I would do it again. I prefer preowned in great condition.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I am still driving my first car :razz: it is an old 1992 crappy car - BUT I love her

When she dies, I don''t know we will see

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results