shape
carat
color
clarity

New blue tourmaline, help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one, with Flash!
Sorry some of these were so big!

IMG1301.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is a lovely vibrant blue (the touch of green is exaggerated by the camera and by my yellow lighting), the only thing I don't like (or perhaps just unused to) is the fact that I can pretty much always see a window. But I think this is just the nature of tourmalines?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some in what is left of the overcast daylight, it shows the blue better though. You can also see what I mean about the windows never really going away.

mixtourms.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is absolutely amazing. I love it!!!!!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
If you don''t keep it, I want it!!

I''m going to vote yellow gold.
18.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2009 6:18:38 PM
Author: brandy_z28

I''m going to vote yellow gold.
18.gif

Haha, that''s funny since once I saw it in person I started leaning towards WG since that might bring out the blue even more.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
It is very pretty, darker than I thought it would be (which is not a bad thing), and full of sparkle.

Now that I see it, I would lean more towards a prong setting.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2009 7:33:03 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
It is very pretty, darker than I thought it would be (which is not a bad thing), and full of sparkle.

Now that I see it, I would lean more towards a prong setting.

Thanks Lt! Part of it seeming darker is probably the dim lighting in my apartment. The last collage of it in daylight is probably more representative of normal outdoor lighting. It is a bit darker and deeper than pictured, but I like that actually.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2009 6:21:30 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 9/17/2009 6:18:38 PM

Author: brandy_z28

I'm going to vote yellow gold.
18.gif

Haha, that's funny since once I saw it in person I started leaning towards WG since that might bring out the blue even more.

Ditto on the white gold, but you already know my preference toward WG for...pretty much everything.
3.gif

ETA: Silver would work too.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Untill you said that green is not as obvious as photos would suggest, I was actually thinking that it would be interesting to bring out that green with yellow gold. But if it''s barely noticable, I say stick with white. About the window - seems like extinction to me, not a window, but it''s so little of it that it wouldn''t bother me. It''s a really lovely stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, very nice color!! I think yellow gold would be nice, it would bring out some green in the stone so it doesn''t look so aqua or blue topaz like.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It''s gorgeous! I had inquired about that stone when I saw it a few months back but I had just bought the spinel (I think it was around that time) and I didn''t want to spend 250 on it.

So glad a PSer got it! It really is very pretty
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a keeper to me. It’s not easy trying to find the perfect blue tourmaline that isn’t overly dark. Not to mention that it’s rare to obtain any in a round cut too. It might have some issues with it, but I consider it minor, not enough to return the stone.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
wow talk about color..good god that is blue..very nice

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2009 6:16:52 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Wow, very nice color!! I think yellow gold would be nice, it would bring out some green in the stone so it doesn''t look so aqua or blue topaz like.

Thanks TL, that''s a good point.
It''s a bit on the teal side, especially when I put it next to the sapphire, but I''m still trying to decide if that''s something I would want to accentuate or downplay.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2009 3:27:33 AM
Author: ma re
Untill you said that green is not as obvious as photos would suggest, I was actually thinking that it would be interesting to bring out that green with yellow gold. But if it''s barely noticable, I say stick with white. About the window - seems like extinction to me, not a window, but it''s so little of it that it wouldn''t bother me. It''s a really lovely stone.

The green is definitely there and noticeable, but it''s just sometimes more noticeable than others depending on the lighting. Most of these were taken indoors with yellow bulbs, so I don''t think in daylight it may be as green as in some of these photos where it looks almost more green than blue. I wish I could see what it looks like in daylight, but it looks like another overcast rainy day.
7.gif

I guess I just assumed since the blue color was the main selling point, that it would be best to downplay the green component.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono, Deia, and Amethystguy!

I did decide to keep it since I didn''t want to risk not being able to get this color blue again in a tourmaline, and as is always true in Colored Stones: color comes first! Hehe.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sun was out for a bit, so I took some better pics, hope you don''t mind.

daylighttm.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, I wore a blue sweater for comparison :)

IMG1334.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have chubby little hands, haha.

IMG1357.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Against the white metal of my rings.

whitmettm.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best I could get for the cut to show up, it''s in the shadow of my hand, on my desk

tabletoptm.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaannnd no idea how to set it.. :/
Off to browse the web for inspiration :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great with your sweater.
31.gif

Have you placed it next to something yellow or copperish? I was wondering if these 2 other metals might play up or play down the blue colour.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results