shape
carat
color
clarity

New blue tourmaline, help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 11:25:57 AM
Author: Michael_E

This may be, but there''s nothing saying that the bezel has to go all the way around the stone or that the sides have to be solid. If you''re up for custom work you can have your jeweler pierce the sides of the bezel, or cut out scallops from the top down, as far as 1/2 way or so. The attached picture shows a bezel that''s cut out on the sides only, but this could be done on four sides if one wanted to use it with a split shank band. This opens up the bezel and increases the contrast in the stone as it''s tilted, relieving the dark bezel problem a bit.
Well said, but I was thinking about full bezels when I wrote that (should''ve wrote that too I guess...). Thanks TL for the compliment
2.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 11:25:57 AM

Date: 9/15/2009 2:46:44 AM
Author: ma re
Seriously, all stones darken a bit once bezeled, so you might think about that too when deciding on the settings.

This may be, but there''s nothing saying that the bezel has to go all the way around the stone or that the sides have to be solid. If you''re up for custom work you can have your jeweler pierce the sides of the bezel, or cut out scallops from the top down, as far as 1/2 way or so. The attached picture shows a bezel that''s cut out on the sides only, but this could be done on four sides if one wanted to use it with a split shank band. This opens up the bezel and increases the contrast in the stone as it''s tilted, relieving the dark bezel problem a bit.
Michael, that is a nice looking ring. Did you make it?

MTG, you have one lovely looking stone there.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes Gailey, thanks. This client wanted something where she could see more of the stone, have it as close as possible to the finger and be comfortable when wearing gloves and going in and out of pockets. I always liked the idea of pierced work on the sides of bezels, though I haven''t made any yet. Anyone have any pictures of pierced or filigree bezels ?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one of those stones that I think would still look great in a full bezel because
1) It''s bright
2) It''s precision cut, so there shouldn''t be dead spots.
3) The color might even deepen a bit, but I don''t think it would look dark, like some stones would when bezeled.

I would have bezeled my cuprian tourmaline, except for the fact that I don''t like how my jeweler does bezels.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2009 3:07:55 PM
Yes Gailey, thanks. This client wanted something where she could see more of the stone, have it as close as possible to the finger and be comfortable when wearing gloves and going in and out of pockets. I always liked the idea of pierced work on the sides of bezels, though I haven''t made any yet. Anyone have any pictures of pierced or filigree bezels ?

Sally does lovely filigree bezels, my only issue is that it sits too high for me personally
7.gif

Here''s Mochi''s "pillbox" bezel from sally
SSCN4777.JPG

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 4:35:45 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 9/15/2009 3:07:55 PM

Sally does lovely filigree bezels, my only issue is that it sits too high for me personally
7.gif

Here''s Mochi''s ''pillbox'' bezel from sally

SSCN4777.JPG

That is what I am thinking about doing for my new blue.

The pill box can be lowered, she can do it without that little pedestal. She also has a similar ring with a thicker bezel and shank that has a low profile. She doesn''t have it on her site, but she sent it to me when I was looking at options for my aqua.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you getting it in WG Lt?

Hmmm...I''ll keep that open as an option too then :) I would like it much more if it wasn''t so high.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
What I like about the height and little disc thingy on the pillbox is that it allows it to be a stacker. If the larger round area sits directly on the finger like the Christie setting, it won''t stack. But if you''re planning to wear it alone, it works.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 11:14:36 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Are you getting it in WG Lt?

Hmmm...I'll keep that open as an option too then :) I would like it much more if it wasn't so high.

No, I think my stone looks better with yellow gold. I like WG better, but I don't mind yellow gold. I originally wanted an LOGR, but I am like you, very simple, and I am not sure if the yellow gold + diamonds + blue would be too much for me. I put some pics of my stone next to WG and yellow gold in my thread. The WG just washes my stone out. Honestly, I like the look of your stone with YG too. However, I think your stone would work with WG if that is what you prefer. I know you still need to see the stone.

If I get the pillbox, I would get it the standard way. The think the pedestal makes it look more graceful. But if is really a top contender, you should ask her for a pic of the lowered version so you can decide for yourself.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 11:47:23 PM
Author: D&T
And this one too... its a small fellow 4.45mm but the color is beautiful and for $30 (after the discount) why not... I have to be really good, and I have passed up on it, it is still available.

http://www.gemshoppe.com/

indicolite tourmaline

Hey D&T - that''s the tourmaline I just bought! Yay!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2009 2:38:44 PM
Author: jstarfireb

Date: 9/12/2009 11:47:23 PM
Author: D&T
And this one too... its a small fellow 4.45mm but the color is beautiful and for $30 (after the discount) why not... I have to be really good, and I have passed up on it, it is still available.

http://www.gemshoppe.com/

indicolite tourmaline

Hey D&T - that''s the tourmaline I just bought! Yay!
yay! I''m glad you got it, as i was on a strick diet - no spending that is until my half deposited projects gets completed...lol I''ll be admiring from afar though

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I have 3 projects in the works already, and none of them are even half deposited! I should follow in your footsteps, but it was just too good to pass up. Tourmaline is one of my birthstones (October).

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 8:33:41 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Haha, I have 3 projects in the works already, and none of them are even half deposited! I should follow in your footsteps, but it was just too good to pass up. Tourmaline is one of my birthstones (October).

Glad you got it :). I like the pillbox, but that is just my style. I did lotus seed rings for my small stones and they look great.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It came :) Lots of pics coming up, please let me know if you think it''s a keeper!

IMG1238.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG- Its a keeper.... becuase if not... I''ll cave in for sure to get it
3.gif
27.gif
lol... I hope you keep it, its beautifulllll!
30.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I love it! It almost seems to have a blue/green color shift. Keep it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results