shape
carat
color
clarity

New Barry Bridgestock Supernova Mozambique Tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Hello All

I recently purchased this tourmaline from Barry, and received it today
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Well I am in love with it! I take terrible photos, but I really wanted to share this stone so I will attach my not so good photos....

blue green tourmaline 4.27ct.JPG

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
These photos don''t do the stone justice
7.gif
I really love this stone!
I will try and get better pics this weekend....

I would also be most grateful for some setting advice, and have a few questions:

1) Is Tourmaline Ok to prong set in a ring for regular wear (not everday, but regular wear sitting at a desk kind of thing)?

2) I am a white gold person, would you set it in white gold, or a two tone (rose/white or yellow/white)

3) East-West or North-South

4) I have a few ideas, but seeing the stone am not really sure...I don''t really want to halo it...
a) 2 small marquis diamonds (a la Harriet''s gorgeous Tsav and Matata''s recent BGD/GOG Chunky cushion ring) then a small bezel set white or pink diamond, with the band being plain, kind of tapering up to a knife edge

b) three stone - white diamond step cut bullets or tapered baguettes

c) some sort of split shank with little diamonds on the band

d) east - west with two smallish round white diamonds as side stones

e) any other suggestions??

Thank you in advance for any help opinions you may offer
36.gif
36.gif

BB Tourmaline Moz.JPG

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry that last set of pics was huge..

Picture size looks fine on my computer!!

and omg it is GORGEOUS! I love the color- one of my favorites for sure.
36.gif
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
ahhh...BA, it's just as gorgeous as I thought it would be!
And Massible'! It's huge woman...

It's going to make a fabulous ring, and I'm sure you will be fine to prong set it for casual wear.

I will think on your design questions..my instinct is diamond 3 stone for sure..and I votw North South definitely.
Do you think it could halo, being so big already?

Congrats on getting this one lovey, it is very special for sure!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
here it is - delicate halo and side diamonds, best of both!
I think your oval would completely shine in this design
30.gif

Are you going to have K&B do this one?

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Swedish Bean
9.gif

Thanks for your advice AJ, I don''t want to Halo it - I don''t know if I could or not anyways since it is pretty huge, but also since my Spinel is haloed I wanted to go in a different direction.

What shape of side stones would you choose for a three stone? (side note -- wish i could take photos like you!)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
whoops..pic didn''t attach..here ya go
5.gif

r1328_027Ww for BA.jpg

Meher Thakker

Rough_Rock
its a beautiful color...I love it..reminds me of a similar color spinel I have..

Meher

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
ummm..okay..typing at the same time, sorry!
Okay scrap that then, lol..

I will look around..but my current love is chunky bullets..

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry AJ we were posting at the same time...I do like the ring that you posted, but I think maybe I''m leaning toward something a little simpler? Although I''m really not leaning in any direction yet!

I''m not sure I may go with K and B or I am consider BGD as well...I think that it will depend a little bit on the design I pick...

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Meher -- you have a spinel this colour! Do you have pics anywhere? I love spinel!

Thanks AJ, I do like chunky bullets
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 5:52:44 AM
Author: bling addict
Sorry AJ we were posting at the same time...I do like the ring that you posted, but I think maybe I'm leaning toward something a little simpler? Although I'm really not leaning in any direction yet!

I'm not sure I may go with K and B or I am consider BGD as well...I think that it will depend a little bit on the design I pick...

ha ha yep..
Okay, so when you say simple...like LM 3 stone simple? Plain metal, thin shanks, no engraving etc?
Are we thinking modern/classic/vintage/neither?
Do you like any styles like what the Meyers do?

I couldn't find with a coloured stone, but this is what I mean by yummy chunky bullets -
or how about a 5 stone, a la Erica's asscher?

(sorry, I know these are all Leon's - sometimes just the easiest/quickest place for pics)..

r872_011Ww.jpg

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AJ

Well I like LM simple 3 stone and 5 stone -- but don''t know if I''ll have enough finger left to manage a five stone...

When I say simple, I guess I was really only ruling out haloing...lol...not very sure about anything am I!

I like the Meyers, haven''t looked much at Caleb, I like James Meyer particularly that one with the leaf design, and the classic one you have, and Coati etc, well and the three stones as well, lol...

I am thinking thin, and probably no engraving....

you''ve been so helpful already AJ, I''m ruling some things out at least!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 6:02:15 AM
Hi AJ

Well I like LM simple 3 stone and 5 stone -- but don't know if I'll have enough finger left to manage a five stone...

When I say simple, I guess I was really only ruling out haloing...lol...not very sure about anything am I!

I like the Meyers, haven't looked much at Caleb, I like James Meyer particularly that one with the leaf design, and the classic one you have, and Coati etc, well and the three stones as well, lol...

I am thinking thin, and probably no engraving....

you've been so helpful already AJ, I'm ruling some things out at least!

I'd love to help - sometimes knowing what you don't want can be just as helpful, right..

Would you consider a bezel? Caleb has a ton of lovely designs - but no prongs in sight.
I can post some if you'd like..

How about something like Matata's lovely new ring from BGD, but with the side diamonds scald back a bit, so it fits on ya finger
9.gif

It has a similar "feel" to the Meyer's but prong set, so could be a great compromise?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
If you like Jim''s leaf design - well, I''ve always adored this one by Caleb.
You could possibly have it modified to be prong set..

ok, I''ll stop randomly posting things now, rofl!

As you can tell, part of me would''ve loved to own this gem - but I''m 100% happy you got it
5.gif

357_for BA.jpg

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I love Matata''s new ring! I had been thinking something similar but maybe without the last marquis, so that it stops at the round, and maybe doing the round bezel set (and possibly pink stone?) sort of like the attached pic

little bezel.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 6:16:26 AM
I love Matata''s new ring! I had been thinking something similar but maybe without the last marquis, so that it stops at the round, and maybe doing the round bezel set (and possibly pink stone?) sort of like the attached pic

ha ha, that was one of my next choices for my sapphire - I love the bezeled diamond and split shank detail.

I love this idea
36.gif

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love the one you posted by caleb!

I don''t mind the idea bezeling the stone -- I love bezels! I just don''t want it surrounded by little diamonds this time...since it might be a bit too similar to my spinel ring then...

Well I would love your sapphire stone I''m sure, and your lovely three stone project...I''m always living vicariously through everyone on pricescope, lol!

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/30/2009 6:17:51 AM
Author: arjunajane

ha ha, that was one of my next choices for my sapphire - I love the bezeled diamond and split shank detail.

I love this idea

36.gif

Yay! We have a contender!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
If you''re open to bezels, this CM could be an option..you could always enlarge the side stones too.

But it''s a completely different direction. A bit more casual I guess?

I agree the last LM is a contender for sure.

1710 ba.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous stone, and I can''t tell you how gorgeous I think this setting is!

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I do like that last CM bezel you posted AJ (pretty red stone too!) and a bit more casual would be ok...sometime i think i look a little blinged up for work but just wear want I want anyways...lol

Thank you MTG!

I like the tsav in your avatar! I can''t tell you how long I pondered it myself
9.gif

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone, I think it''ll look great in a James Meyer leaf and vine design.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Yes, it is find to have tourmalines prong set. You can wear it everyday if you like but only when doing gentle work like desk work and removed once home.
2. I understand you prefer white gold but the slight gray undertone will be highlighted by a white metal. I suggest either a rose gold or yellow gold 2 tone if you prefer.
3. You can go either way but in this case, I’m leaning towards N/S due to the outline of the oval.
4. I’m “halo-ed” out myself.
9.gif
Diamond split shank and the 3 stone sounds fine. Looking at your skinny finger, do you have the finger real estate to add the 2 marquises and extra?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone. I vote for a simple setting (some of the simpler bezel settings are nice) to highlight the stone. I think if you put it in something more fancy it''ll detract from the stone.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you lovinggems and oddoneout for your opinions about the setting -- it is helpful to hear other people''s perspective as I am having trouble deciding!

Thank you Chrono for answering all my questions, and for your opinion on the setting -- so nice of you to say I have small fingers -- I think in this case it is just a large stone though, lol! You are right though, if I was to go with the marquis idea I will certainly need to consider the size of them.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone!!! I''d set her N-S with tapered step cut traps :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A bit late here, but anyway... Lovely stone, and I''m sure you''ll turn it into something beautiful. About your design ideas:

- this is a nice stone, but it doesen''t seem to have a great deal of that depth of color (maybe it''s just the photos), because of which I''d suggest going two-tone (white and yellow); I''d try to at least have prongs done in yellow, as this could give the stone that almost bi-colored effect, with (hopefully) flashing greens and blues coming from within - unless you really wouldn''t like to have that effect(?)
- I''d set it N/S (outline looks nicer in that direction)
- I really like that CM bezel that AJ posted, but would add some YG to it, somewhere.

It''s quite a large stone with a nice flow to it''s outline, so I probably wouldn''t do any kind of side stones. It''s also specialty cut so I wouldn''t add any unnecessary elements to this design, to bring out the cut and size of the stone as much as possible(twinkling side stones might steal attention from it). Another idea that comes to mind as something quite natural for this stone is a split shank bezel, so that the stone''s "flowy" shape continues in the same fluid motion onto the shank - you could add either diamonds on the split bands, or some metal decorations in/around that area.

I think this stone would really look great in something with an organic feel to it.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone BA!
30.gif
I was wondering who had gotten that one just last night!

I think it would look amazing set into a split shank bezel. I''d personally do the bezel (or prongs) in yellow gold at least.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results