shape
carat
color
clarity

New 1.05 Chrysoberyl

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Well I may never have stones as nice as Chrono. Even if I could afford them its doubtful I''d be able to pick them. But today I had this in the post.

crynewt.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
And today I seem to have hit upon a set up for photographing gems that is good and quite accurate.

crynewt1.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

crynewt2.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Sweet!
For those who might be interested I carved the bowl too. It it spalted rock maple.

crynewt3.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Nice stone! There has been really some chrysberyl fever and you were infected!
3.gif

Like your pictures - very crispy! And nice bowl too!

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
VL, lovely stone and beautiful bowl.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VP,
I like your very clear pictures. Were you looking for a greener chrysoberyl? BTW, I like the snakeskin-like bowl a lot too.
31.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thank you yingh, stonieg & chrono!
It seems that 3 out of evey four stones I buy are green! I hadn''t noticed, though I do like green. What is odd about this is that I found pricescope when I was looking for a vivid yellow unheated sapphire (still havent found the one for me) but the only yellow I have gotten is that cat eye danburite, and that was only last week. Now if a pure vivid yello chrysoberyl presented itself to me...
31.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2010 3:55:13 PM
Author: Chrono
VP,

I like your very clear pictures. Were you looking for a greener chrysoberyl? BTW, I like the snakeskin-like bowl a lot too.
31.gif

OMG, I love that bowl too!! It's cool!

The chrysoberyl looks to have a nice polish on it. I bet it sparkles like crazy. I have a 1.05 carat chrysoberyl too, but it's on the yellow side, it's probably that very yellow one you were looking for!! Sorry.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s so pretty VL! Looks really sparkley! What are your plans for it?

The bowl is amazing too!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good crystal on that stone: enjoy!

mz

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL packrat & MZ!
This was a $20 stone from Tan!!

pocadot

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 8:11:43 PM
Author: VapidLapid
Thanks TL packrat & MZ!

Nice stone VapidLapid!

Haha, I just bought a chrysoberyl from Tan too! Patiently waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

He''s probably wondering why there''s a sudden spike in sales of chrysoberyl. He really owes Tourmaline_Lover some of his commission
22.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2010 9:18:57 PM
Author: pocadot
Date: 6/21/2010 8:11:43 PM

Author: VapidLapid

Thanks TL packrat & MZ!

Nice stone VapidLapid!

Haha, I just bought a chrysoberyl from Tan too! Patiently waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

He''s probably wondering why there''s a sudden spike in sales of chrysoberyl. He really owes Tourmaline_Lover some of his commission
22.gif

Heh, I wish!!

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Oooh that''s a really nice green on that! I''m jealous. Trying to find a nice, not too kelly-green stone myself.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It would be an honor to carve a bowl for you, Gene

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slightly off topic, but I have a few hand carved bowls made from exotic woods. I also have carved wooden box made from a wood that looks like lace and it only grows in Australia. I love how beautiful wood looks when it''s carved and fashioned into artistic pieces.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
TL that Aussie wood sounds like either mallee burl or eucalyptus, both are fantastic. I carved a spalted maple burl bowl last year, incredibly difficult since the burl grain is simultaneously all directions at once.

Here is the new chryso with my vanadium from ajs hangin out on a piece of lignum vitae a friend brought me from Jamaica. I designed and carved a set of pliers from this log to use as a bezel pusher!! Pics of that still without the brass hinge.

JMchrysos.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

JMchrysos1.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

ply.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

plycrycry.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
while I''m at it here are 2 chasing hammers I made. The wood is palo santo aka argentine lignum vitae, with a bright red garnet!

garnethammers.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am so impressed with your bowl. How skilled you are. Its just lovely.

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
You are a very talented wood carver. Do we have Pricescope for woodworking? LOL!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 1:15:47 PM
Author: smitcompton
Hi,

I am so impressed with your bowl. How skilled you are. Its just lovely.

Annette

+1 You are very talented.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I realize that my approach to most things is at odds with accepted wisdom and conventional techniques, but for me at least that fosters a spirit of invention and creativity. So today''s problem was to create a space in the blob of silver I''ve been hammering with a mind to it becoming a ring for an asscher cut say grossular garnet to sit. The indentation then needs to be shaped like the pavillion of the asscher. It was also a goal of mine that the material displaced in making a seat for the stone would be forced mostly upwards where it could be more available for fashioning into a bezel.I cut a bar of 9mm drill stock on a 58 degree angle, turned it 90 degrees 3 times in the vise cutting the tip at the same angle to make roughly an asscher pavillion shaped punch. I needed to file that to clean up the surface and I was afraid I would spoil the angles I had cut so I made a shim by cutting a scrap of wood to the same angle. That made it possible to file the angles down without changing them. Now I have decided to turn the wooden shim into a tri-square, just smoothing it over and making some ornamental non-euclidean triangle cut-outs.

asschersmasherfilejig.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

asschermasher.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

asschertrisquare.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results