shape
carat
color
clarity

NEVER LET YOUR SOLITARE STAND ALONG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG- and don't get me started....my husband used to go get lunch from the "meat on a stick man"....GEE hun, wonder why you are sick to your stomach...

solange

Brilliant_Rock
don't think there is any definite answer as to whether side stones are necessary. It is strictly a matter of taste.
My original pear shaped engagement ring has baguettes--that was the style then and practically everyone had the same setting regardless of the size of the stone. That style is passe now. Styles change and other options become available.
I inherited my mother's engagement ring. It is a two carat stone, good color and clarity but not a lively stone. I don't think there was as much emphasis on cut then. I kept the original setting but had the diamond reset in a three stone setting with beautiful Burmese rubies and the stone looks great.
My husband had always wanted me to have a round stone instead of a pear shape. He is buying me a new ring for our anniversary.
Thanks to information I gained on Pricescope I am waiting for Lesley at Whiteflash to find me a great looking stone. It will be a solitaire with no side stones.(Actually I always thought that solitaire meant alone).
As to Tiffany not being a manufacturer, from information on Pricescope it seems you can get comparable diamonds if you stick to certain parameters but the settings are in a class by themselves. I am sure they are buying their settings from top manufacturers and they would not be spending so much money on ads in the New York Times and elsewhere on very expensive rings without side stones if they were not in demand.
I live in Manhattan and have seen many people with fabulous jewelry. Some have diamond rings with sidestones and some do not.
I think the original poster would have done a greater service if he had simply said he was interested in helping people find sidestones if they need this information instead of stating that no "package" is complete without sidestones. [/b]

sharonzhere

Rough_Rock
This is what I've got:

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_other_ring.asp?ring=solitairediaband&

It's a solitaire, but it's not. It's got the classic Tiffany setting but on a diamond band. I have the wedding band to match. I like the white light coming off it more than just platinum alone, but not enough to want bigger side stones or a 3-stone ring. The center diamond is still the center focus.

Let me see if I can upload a blurry picture (sorry, this is my first time trying this!)

Sharon

auction pictures 3-3 005.jpg

sharonzhere

Rough_Rock
Let me try one that's not as blurry...

auction pictures 3-3 006.jpg

sharonzhere

Rough_Rock
How do you all get these crystal clear pictures?
confused.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
According to Dictionary.com, a solitaire is: A gem, such as a diamond, that is set alone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful Sharon, looks like my ring does when it sparkles. In essence, I too have the classic solitaire setting on a diamond eternity band, mine was a custom made ring. Matching wedding band which I will be wearing in 4.5 weeks!
1.gif
I like the look of a solitaire as an engagement ring, and feel like mine is the perfect blend of extra bling and classic solitaire!!
1.gif

To get clearer pictures, pull the camera back a bit. Or put the 'macro' setting on AND pull the camera back a bit...and then edit in a photo program to only crop the rings off the hand. IMO the rings like ours are harder for camera to focus on as well, seems like so much sparkle, camera gets confused!
2.gif

sharonzhere

Rough_Rock
Mara, you are cracking me up
9.gif

Be sure you post pictures! I haven't seen an e-ring or a band like mine too often at all. (makes me feel special! LOL)

sharonzhere

Rough_Rock
Beautiful!! Yes, our rings are very similar. Your little diamonds are prong-set while mine are channel set, though, and you have loooong slender fingers while mine are long but also fat! (size 9.5 fingers I'm embarrassed to say) LOL My diamond is 1.17, just slightly smaller than yours, but your diamond looks soooo much bigger. NICE!

I like how your diamonds go all the way around. Mine go halfway around and I am forever arranging them because the wedding band starts to go all the way around, and I'll look down and see half diamonds and half platinum, lol. I thought about getting the wedding eternity band but then the e-ring band wouldn't match on the underside - I LIKE how your e-ring has diamonds that go all the way around as well! I've never seen that before. That is just beautiful!

Nice to meet someone that has similar tastes! It was funny because I knew exactly what I wanted in my head before we ever set out to look for it.
1.gif

Beautiful!!

Sharon

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Big fingered gals unite! I'm with ya sharon!

Stargazer

Rough_Rock
hello obsessed,
great comment, my 5 stone is for 'family'- me, husband, daughter, son, and DOG!!! ( perhaps in a few years I can afford to add mum,dad, and best friend- sorry I'm being ridiculous)
2.gif

Marriahlyn, beautiful rings they really look a good size. Can you tell us where and when you wear the solo solitaire? ie. other hand,special occasions etc.

haunani

Rough_Rock
It's nice to know I'm not alone in the land of the big fingered!! Sometimes I get tired of having to try on rings on my pinkies or just to the top of my ring finger!

sunseeker

Rough_Rock
This is all a matter of preference.

I used to like just a round brilliant all alone. Now my e-ring is a round brilliant, 1.16 ct. G, VS2 with a smaller round diamond on either side of that, and two baguettes on either side of those smaller round diamonds. My w-ring is very similar except in the place of the center stone is two nice sized baguettes with additional diamonds matching the e-ring. The ctw is 2.75 which I was worried was a bit much because I have small fingers (5 3/4) but the rings look fantastic together! They match up very nicely and I LOVE THEM!!!

Ultimately, you have to get what you will love, not what the companies are yelling at us or what other people think you should have. Always remember it's YOU that will be wearing the piece and YOU that has to love it!

~Sunseeker
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results