shape
carat
color
clarity

Needing advice and help finding a ruby

alukoit

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I have recently joined in hopes of receiving assistance with my endeavor to find my lady a ring.

I have searched this site a few times and the advice given to others is astounding, so i am hoping you can help me out.

The setting i am going after is shown below

I am looking for a 2+ ct center stone in RUBY and need help locating one for a good price.

ring1_setting.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What so you consider a good price? What's your budget? What's your preference on treatments?

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Love the color. All I've heard is that most of them are treated, minimally with heat and additionally with beryllium or lead glass, etc. It seems very important to get a lab report on ruby to ensure you're getting what you think you're getting.

Spectral Gems, Rogery Dery, has an eye catching 4+ carat in a cushion cut. Be interesting to learn price there. I think it's heat only. :cheeky:

alukoit

Rough_Rock
My budget is between $1,500 and $2,500. I am hoping to put a full ring together with this, but I am aware that this may not be possible due to carat size.

Heated is fine.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're budget is healthy for lots of types of rings but that setting with that sized heat only ruby isn't going to work. What are you flexible on? Setting? Color? Size? Treatment?

alukoit

Rough_Rock
Emerald or Ruby is what i am working with. There are a couple different settings, i can put together a list of them tomorrow.

Size I would like to get as close to 2ct as possible.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald and ruby? Or green and red?

I ask because if she just wants the color you have other stone options

alukoit

Rough_Rock
emerald and ruby, not color.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You did rather well to pull up that emerald Freke...

Just confirming rubies elsewhere are still out of your budget... at Gemfix 2.08ct is $12,480

screen_shot_2013-12-27_at_10.png

rubymd

Rough_Rock
Gem fix does have
Ruby Cushion Mixed Cut
Weight: 2.22 cts
Measurements: 7.4x6.2mm, depth 5.2mm
Clarity: SI
Origin: Tanzania
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 1780.00
Order/Stock No.: ruby_557
Description: Deep cherry-red ruby, nice big size. Has some faint inclusions. Pantone doesn't have this shade

But if you are set on a ruby you should think about going down in size.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid something has to give. If you will not budge on size and colour, and I know the budget is set, then treatment and clarity has to go, meaning the stone has to be beyond heat (lead glass, diffusion, etc) and non-eye clean. Even a heat only 2 carat ruby and lightly treated 2 carat emerald will be in the $10K range and upwards range.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I'd highly suggest Spinel. But that depends on how sensitive she is to color and whether or not she is willing to forego the bragging rights associated with big names like "Ruby" and "Emerald". That little piece of red heaven in Chrono's avatar is a red Spinel.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate everyone's input on this.

She likes a more natural looking stone, so the clarify can be sacrificed. She suggested that she would be happy with this type of ruby quality. I know gemsny hasn't had a good rep around here, so i'm just including the link in hopes that something of similar quality can be had for cheaper.

My lady is an old soul, she doesn't want the best and brightest cut it from our talk yesterday.

http://www.gemsny.com/loose-ruby/2.11-Carat-Pear-Ruby-R31054P/

or

http://www.gemsny.com/loose-ruby/2.04-Carat-Pear-Ruby-R31051P/

Here is another setting that would work, just a main stone and two baguettes.

ring2_setting.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither rubies look similar to the first picture you posted. The colour is brownish, dark and opaque (non-transparent). Are you sure she wants this quality of ruby for an engagement ring? Has she seen a good quality red gem for comparison? You can find similar commercial quality rubies on eBay for a mere tens to low hundred of dollars compared to GemsNY.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Those Gemsny Rubies leave little to be desired. The don't have anything going for them, price, clarity, color etc...

alukoit

Rough_Rock
Chrono, she pointed those stones out on gemsny when we were discussing it. I mentioned to her that a good quality 2 ct would run around $5k and she mentioned the others and said she likes a more natural look (after looking at real pictures online).

Where can I find a ruby that is between the pictured quality and what i posted from gemsny.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

alukoit

Rough_Rock
You are a tremendous help. Can you find anything with a pear shape for my second ring setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
American Set, a Los Angeles jewelry manufacturer who is on the list of preferred vendors that's "pinned" here on the Colored Stones forum, offers the best deals I'm seeing for semi-mounts (ring settings) with baguettes, e.g., 14K white gold with tapered baguette diamonds of G color, VS clarity for $806 - $927, depending on ring size & the head needed
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-WHITE-G...GAGEMENT-RING-SOLITAIRE-SETTING-/221203313256
Other baguette settings and choices of metal (18k, platinum, palladium) also available.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1388158273|3581279 said:
If you like pears, this one is isn't bright (looks a bit pinkish on my monitor) but is cleaner than the previous Multicolour ruby.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?697287509
1.8 carat pear ruby for $700

This is fantastic. I believe she would be extremely happy with this in the most recent setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

alukoit

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1388158719|3581285 said:
American Set, a Los Angeles jewelry manufacturer who is on the list of preferred vendors that's "pinned" here on the Colored Stones forum, offers the best deals I'm seeing for semi-mounts (ring settings) with baguettes, e.g., 14K white gold with tapered baguette diamonds of G color, VS clarity for $806 - $927, depending on ring size & the head needed
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-WHITE-G...GAGEMENT-RING-SOLITAIRE-SETTING-/221203313256
Other baguette settings and choices of metal (18k, platinum, palladium) also available.

Exactly what I was looking for!!

Now all i need to do is decide on the carat weight as it's pretty precise when ordering the setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be VERY careful when ordering using the carat weight menu on that website. If I am not mistaken, that is based on diamonds. A pear ruby of 2 carats can vary greatly and may not fit the setting you ordered. I would confirm with the vendor the actual measurements that will fit the setting. These are the general calibrated pear setting sizes available:
7 x 5 mm
8 x 6 mm
9 x 6 mm
10 x 7 mm
12 x 8 mm

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
alukoit|1388158987|3581292 said:
MollyMalone|1388158719|3581285 said:

Exactly what I was looking for!!

Now all i need to do is decide on the carat weight as it's pretty precise when ordering the setting.

You can send the stone to American Set & they will custom-craft the requisite setting and set the stone for you. Which is what I myself would do since the stone you are considering is not a standard, calibrated size. Understandably enough, there will be an additional charge for this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results