shape
carat
color
clarity

Needing advice and help finding a ruby

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I honestly didn't think you were going to have much luck finding a ~2ct ruby and a diamond setting within your budget, but I am once again amazed at what the folks on here are able to find!

I just wanted to add that I think ruby is a better choice than emerald for an engagement ring that will be worn daily, so you are on the right path. For your budget, I quite like the pear from multicolour, and although I've never purchased from American Set that setting looks nice as well. Good luck!

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree ruby makes a much better engagement ring than emerald because of it's durability. I have an emerald ring I love but am afraid to wear it because of all the things I have read about them. Too bad they can't have the same hardness as sapphire or ruby, I think it would be my favorite gemstone.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
alukoit|1388158900|3581288 said:
Chrono|1388158273|3581279 said:
If you like pears, this one is isn't bright (looks a bit pinkish on my monitor) but is cleaner than the previous Multicolour ruby.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?697287509
1.8 carat pear ruby for $700

This is fantastic. I believe she would be extremely happy with this in the most recent setting.

While the top looks nice, the clarity states slight to moderate inclusions. Are the anomalies on right side under the stone the inclusions? I emailed them to see if they have anymore pictures.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have picked two of the most included stones as choices for this. Emeralds and rubies are typically not very clean gemstones. The inclusions in emeralds are called "jardin" and typically not frowned upon. Rubies are also typically very included. It's part and parcel with the colors and it's often what gives them their characteristic glow.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1388174308|3581430 said:
Would you consider a ruby cabochon instead of a faceted stone? I'm thinking that might give you more bang for your buck (i.e., desirable color with fewer-no inclusions), although this particular one, which I just came across, is above your targeted budget:
http://www.ajsgem.com/ruby/cabochon-ruby/cabochon-ruby-2.10-carats.html-0

Oh cabs are fun! With in a plain shank halo? Don't know if she's be interested but that would be lovely.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
I think we are set on a pear shaped and the setting. She loves the setting pictured below

ring2_setting.jpg

and the pear stone pictured earlier is really affordable for us.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a really classic look and the setting should be more affordable than the original.

I think it will be lovely.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Remember that the photo you are looking at on Multicolour is very much magnified, in real life the inclusions will be less apparent given the much smaller size of the stone and the fact that it will generally be further away from your eyes. Although the stone has some flaws, it appears to me to be much nicer than the 2 GemsNY rubies you posted.

I would probably ask David what he would charge to get an AIGS Gem Brief that would identify any treatments. I've purchased them from other vendors in Thailand, I think they typically run from $25-$50.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
carmen1|1388176264|3581445 said:
Remember that the photo you are looking at on Multicolour is very much magnified, in real life the inclusions will be less apparent given the much smaller size of the stone and the fact that it will generally be further away from your eyes. Although the stone has some flaws, it appears to me to be much nicer than the 2 GemsNY rubies you posted.

I would probably ask David what he would charge to get an AIGS Gem Brief that would identify any treatments. I've purchased them from other vendors in Thailand, I think they typically run from $25-$50.

Who is David? I am not familiar with him.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
ChrisA222|1388176759|3581453 said:
I found this one....large, and Burmese. It has obvious clarity issues and has had some treatment. But low price...

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=9850

Yep, that is huge. Remember to take care in cleaning if you're purchasing a filled stone; I wouldn't put it in an ultrasonic.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
alukoit|1388176537|3581449 said:

I'm sorry, I was referring to David Weinberg at Multicolour.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
carmen1|1388177683|3581464 said:
alukoit|1388176537|3581449 said:

I'm sorry, I was referring to David Weinberg at Multicolour.

OH okay. I sent them an email asking for a couple extra pictures. Most gem sites display several pictures, i am surprised that this website only does one.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The Multicolour ruby would appear a stellar option for your size and price range preference. However be aware that all gems are flooded with light for photos so typically will look darker in hand and I would not be surprised to find this one spends a lot of its life looking like the colour at the tip.

On the plus side it also appears to have much better crystal (clarity) and a better cut than anything else suggested and therefore will have its moments of glory with strong and frequent flashes of that pretty colour. It is also a lovely shape. The opaque looking stones are never going to look different than their pictures and probably a blackish blob most of the time. Reserve this NOW with David while you are discussing it with him - lurkers on this forum are known to buy stones out from under posters while they are pondering a purchase.

While the top looks nice, the clarity states slight to moderate inclusions. Are the anomalies on right side under the stone the inclusions? I emailed them to see if they have anymore pictures.

Bubbles (could be crystal inclusions) ... at the edge of the dark tip, just left of centre and again on the right. They may also be difficult to see at arm's length which is typical viewing distance - again ask David. Slight to moderate is probably the best you're going to get for the price in a gem of any clarity, so you have to "pick your inclusions" or go for an opaque stone. For what you are trying to accomplish I think these are acceptable. As others have said, you are not going to find an eye clean stone at your price and size.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Niel I understand the $1500 budget to be for gem and setting, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1388183246|3581498 said:
Niel I understand the $1500 budget to be for gem and setting, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Has it changed? Sorry. I was going based off the third or forth post that said 1.5-2.5k

alukoit

Rough_Rock
The budget is 1500 to 2500. Just depends on what both of us agree.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
That's great - thanks to both for clarifying.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1388155239|3581244 said:
I'd highly suggest Spinel. But that depends on how sensitive she is to color and whether or not she is willing to forego the bragging rights associated with big names like "Ruby" and "Emerald". That little piece of red heaven in Chrono's avatar is a red Spinel.

Yeah, but just to be clear, that "little piece" is actually large with a huge price tag associated with it - if you took your budget and quadrupled it, you'd be getting close. I don't want people to have this idea that it was some sort of "bargain" that can be duplicated; it was not and it can not.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1388211309|3581733 said:
I'd highly suggest Spinel. But that depends on how sensitive she is to color and whether or not she is willing to forego the bragging rights associated with big names like "Ruby" and "Emerald". That little piece of red heaven in Chrono's avatar is a red Spinel.

Yeah, but just to be clear, that "little piece" is actually large with a huge price tag associated with it - if you took your budget and quadrupled it, you'd be getting close. I don't want people to have this idea that it was some sort of "bargain" that can be duplicated; it was not and it can not.
Minou is speaking ONLY of the stone in Chrono's avatar btw. I wanted to make that clear. The setting alone was more than your whole budget on top of the cost of the stone.

Also, those prices were a few years ago, and prices have only gone up since then.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1388217857|3581767 said:
minousbijoux|1388211309|3581733 said:

Minou is speaking ONLY of the stone in Chrono's avatar btw. I wanted to make that clear. The setting alone was more than your whole budget on top of the cost of the stone.

Also, those prices were a few years ago, and prices have only gone up since then.

Hah, that's funny that you thought I was talking about the setting! While I don't disagree with you about the setting, I was actually talking about the stone, which in and of itself was hugely expensive and many more times the cost the OP has established for the whole project. I just didn't want anyone laboring under the illusion that because they were switching from a search for a ruby to a spinel, that suddenly, it would be cost effective.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When comparing apples to apples, aka colour, carat weight, treatment, clarity and etcetera, a spinel is very comparable to ruby in every way. There are pros and cons but overall, a spinel is still under-rated and less expensive. As much as I paid for my spinel, a similar ruby (same carat weight, colour, eye clean, untreated) is easily 10x more.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1388284133|3582232 said:
When comparing apples to apples, aka colour, carat weight, treatment, clarity and etcetera, a spinel is very comparable to ruby in every way. There are pros and cons but overall, a spinel is still under-rated and less expensive. As much as I paid for my spinel, a similar ruby (same carat weight, colour, eye clean, untreated) is easily 10x more.

I'm not as comfortable as you are in ascribing particular multiples, but I would say your spinel was quite pricey and a ruby, with similar lack of treatment, would be even more so - hope that helps. :))

alukoit

Rough_Rock
I reached out to David @ multi and he mentioned to get in touch with them after new years for additional pictures. A request to hold the stone was put in also.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
This was what I was referring to.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1388427262|3583097 said:

I guess I'm just not as sure as you both are that this still holds true...it seems to me the gap is narrowing.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1388434806|3583193 said:
GregS|1388427262|3583097 said:

I guess I'm just not as sure as you both are that this still holds true...it seems to me the gap is narrowing.
Chrono's stone isn't a good example of a stone I'd expect to see bargain priced.

There's a .75 ct. Spinel on Flawless Facets that could pass as a Ruby, priced at less than $400. Not top color though like Chrono's.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results