shape
carat
color
clarity

Need suggestions for industrial strength sun lotion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my sons works for a lawn mowing business. He tends to burn easily, and he sweats like a mad man. He can''t seem to find anything that works like it says it will. He bought some that was supposed to be waterproof and work for hours, yet it was no better than anything else. He''s tired of getting fried, and I don''t blame him. Is there really such a thing out there that won''t sweat off and lasts a good long time? It''s too expensive to just keep trying them!

TIA!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bullfrog brand

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really? Can you elaborate?
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I put it on while swimming and don't burn. Also another good one is Hawaiian Tropic All day waterproof; that one works for me too and it works well for hubby since he is so light. He might be burning because he doesn't reapply. Also, I think I would check out the ones are REI too.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
zinc oxide (yes the same old stuff in diaper cream)....there are certian brands that go on clear. I am very pale, and I have worn that stuff for 6+ hours with no tan or burn.

ETA: would he be willing to wear a wide brimed hat????

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 6:28:21 PM
Author: Skippy123
Well I put it on while swimming and don''t burn. Also another good one is Hawaiian Tropic All day waterproof; that one works for me too and it works well for hubby since he is so light. He might be burning because he doesn''t reapply. Also, I think I would check out the ones are REI too.
I was reading the label on that one the other day. But, you don''t know who to believe. Would you recommend one over the other, or either? And thankies miss.

LF, I "thought" that was a good ingredient to have, I was telling my son that. But I wasn''t sure if I''d really heard it sopmewhere or was making it up.
9.gif
Do you have a certain brand you could recommend? And thank you!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 6:28:38 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
ETA: would he be willing to wear a wide brimed hat????
No, unfortunately. I tried that, he has an aversion to all hats. Not sure why...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, do you want me to tell you the top 2 CR likes?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Consumer Reports? Sure.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
No it works, from what I understand, the derm people recommend it to people who are at high risk. It is a physical barrier against UVA and UVB. Most sunscreens are chemical barriers.

I used This one so it is the only thing I can speek for, I could not believe how well it worked, but any of them that have zinc oxide should do the trick. Blue Lizard Baby has zinc oxide in it. Looks like the cost per oz is less.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 6:42:29 PM
Author: Ellen
Consumer Reports? Sure.
Okay, they like Neutrogena Ultrasheer touch 45spf (I used this one in the past and it works but the bottle isn't big) don't put it close to your eyes or they sting (well they did for me).
41.gif

The second top one is Hawaiian Tropic Ozone Grip spf 30 and then the 3rd one is the other Hawaiian Tropic that I said I used. They also like the No-Ad brand for price, it is spf 45

eta: I looked at my bullfrog bottle and it has Titanium Dioxide and it is called Superblock in spf45

etaa: Ellen, I use La Roche for my face but it is pricey. I know they don't sell it in the US stores just La Roche 15 in the stores.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I use La Roche-Posay, Anthelios. 60 . No burn ever. Zinc oxide would do the trick--but it is hard to get off!

cheers--Sharon

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 6:46:33 PM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 6/29/2008 6:42:29 PM
Consumer Reports? Sure.
Okay, they like Neutrogena Ultrasheer touch 45spf (I used this one in the past and it works but the bottle isn''t big) don''t put it close to your eyes or they sting (well they did for me).
41.gif

The second top one is Hawaiian Tropic Ozone Grip spf 30 and then the 3rd one is the other Hawaiian Tropic that I said I used. They also like the No-Ad brand for price, it is spf 45

eta: I looked at my bullfrog bottle and it has Titanium Dioxide and it is called Superblock in spf45
That is supposed to work just like zinc

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I second the Bullfrog brand. I used to lifeguard in the summers, and I have very fair skin that burns easily. I listened to my mom and greased myself up like a pig with that stuff. Has he tried any of the SPF clothing? The last I flew, I remember seeing some lightweight long-sleeved shirts that had SPF built into them in the SkyMall magazine. I don't know how well they work though, but the clothing looked really sheer so it probably wouldn't make him any hotter than he already would be working out in the sun.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Skippy is spot on!! Bullfrog.

Hard to get off, but since your son is doing hard labor and sweating like a Bullfrog anyway, he just needs to get over the boy thing and use a loofa or body puff in the shower afterwards.
2.gif

Nobody will know...he can be sure of it.

Aveeno just came out with a 70 spf spray on, but I doubt it would really hold up to the type of work your son does especially he is in a location with hot sun. And it has been reaaalllllly hot recently.

The only problem with Bullfrog is that it makes me feel claustrophobic....like when my skin can''t breathe. But I bet your son won''t mind it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, thanks for all the info. And I''m glad you let me know about the one that stung your eyes, his are pretty sensitive.

LF, thanks for linking me to that, I guess I just need to go find ones you guys have recommended, and do some price comparisons. He''ll want the cheapest/most cost affective for sure. Funny, now that he''s paying for a lot of his own things, price actually matters.
2.gif

Sharon, thanks. Actually, hard to get off would most likely mean hard to sweat off, and that''s really what he needs! Does it show up though, like white?

mrs. jam, thank you. I''ll definitely be checking out Bullfrog. And no, I''ve never heard of that clothing, and I don''t know if he has or not, he''s never mentioned it. I''ll do some digging on that!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with the recs for Bullfrog. Some days my kids are in the sun either at the beach or pool all day long. This is the only thing that seems to work for long periods of time when they are swimming.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 7:35:02 PM
Author: miraclesrule
Skippy is spot on!! Bullfrog.

Hard to get off, but since your son is doing hard labor and sweating like a Bullfrog anyway, he just needs to get over the boy thing and use a loofa or body puff in the shower afterwards.
2.gif

Nobody will know...he can be sure of it.

Aveeno just came out with a 70 spf spray on, but I doubt it would really hold up to the type of work your son does especially he is in a location with hot sun. And it has been reaaalllllly hot recently.

The only problem with Bullfrog is that it makes me feel claustrophobic....like when my skin can''t breathe. But I bet your son won''t mind it.
I was typing when you were posting. Ok, Bullfrog is a huge contender! And lol at the body puff. You should see this kid, almost 6 foot, 195, and a body puff....
9.gif
I''ll suggest it though.
2.gif
Thanks!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great Miranda, thank you!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
No prob! We don''t want any sunburned boys, do we?
9.gif

And, yes, tell him to either get a loofah or use an exfoliating body wash to get the residue off. I saw DH in the shower using my scrub and I thought "WTF!" My face must have had a creeped out expression because he quickly said, "It''s the only thing that gets the sunscreen off!" Haha!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 7:49:56 PM
Author: Miranda
9.gif

And, yes, tell him to either get a loofah or use an exfoliating body wash to get the residue off. I saw DH in the shower using my scrub and I thought ''WTF!'' My face must have had a creeped out expression because he quickly said, ''It''s the only thing that gets the sunscreen off!'' Haha!
lol.gif
Priceless!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 7:51:35 PM

9.gif

And, yes, tell him to either get a loofah or use an exfoliating body wash to get the residue off. I saw DH in the shower using my scrub and I thought ''WTF!'' My face must have had a creeped out expression because he quickly said, ''It''s the only thing that gets the sunscreen off!'' Haha!
lol.gif
Priceless!
It totally was! He''s Mr. Manly Man, too, so he was just moritifed! I guess the only thing worse for him would be for me to broadcast it on a public internet forum!
ohno.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 7:58:10 PM

Date: 6/29/2008 7:51:35 PM

9.gif

lol.gif
Priceless!
It totally was! He''s Mr. Manly Man, too, so he was just moritifed! I guess the only thing worse for him would be for me to broadcast it on a public internet forum!
ohno.gif
rotflmao2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Walgreen''s sport spray-on in the highest SPF available.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
How about a safari hat with ear wings?

skipping away.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 8:17:13 PM
Author: justjulia
How about a safari hat with ear wings?
lol.gif

Thank you Harriet, who knew?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s good and cheap.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2008 7:38:52 PM
Sharon, thanks. Actually, hard to get off would most likely mean hard to sweat off, and that''s really what he needs! Does it show up though, like white?
HI:

Yes, hard to sweat off! It is a "barrier". Tenacious, often scented. Whitish/Greyish depending on manufacturer....or get it in a funky color! (skiiers used to wear bright colors years ago......). I prefer LRP--no scraping off needed and very effective!

cheers--Sharon

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Tell him to apply it before he goes to work, at least 10-20 min or so before he gets in the sun so it has time to dry and absorb and won''t immediately sweat off. Sprays are really fast and easy to reappy - we like Neutrogena fresh cooling body mist sunblock spf45 and coppertone kids (I use this too) continuous spray spf50. Both are waterproof and have UVA/ UVB protection. I am super pale and have a strong family history of skin cancer. Your son should really should rethink the hat issue! Tell him not to forget the tops of his ears. Sounds silly but not an uncommon place for sunburn or skin cancer, especially in men.

SPF clothes are awesome. We''ve bought stuff we loved from sunprecautions.com before, but a lot of companies make lightweight breathable SPF clothes now.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome, thanks you guys!

And thank you on behalf of my son.
2.gif

p.s. Yes, I have stressed the hat, he won''t budge. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results