shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help: Tiffany Setting versus Others

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TwoMonths

Rough_Rock
Greetings from someone who has been reading on this Forum for about 2 months. At this point, I''ve easily invested 2 months salary and I haven''t bought a thing. I''m actively searching for the right e-ring for my girlfriend to wear for-darn-near-ever and it is stressing me out so much I can''t sleep anymore. Here''s the problem: I have a nice size budget (~$25 - 30k) and the only setting I can find that I truly think is perfect for her is the Tiffany Solitaire with Diamond Band.

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/zoom_view.asp?img=engagement_other_solitairediaband&thumbs=2&select=1&txt=The+Tiffany+Setting+solitaire+with+channel%2Dset+diamond+band

Now, I''ve learned how supportive PSers can be when someone is deadset on spending at Tiffany or has already bought. It is absolutely okay to place value on that name. I''m even willing to pay a premium, but this much is kinda making me nauseous.

1.71 G VS1 at Tiffany: $31,XXX

1.72 F VS1 ACA at GOG: $21,XXX
1.66 D VVS1 Expert Selection at Whiteflash: $27,XXX

But then there is the setting. Theoretically, the prices online give me about $10k to invest in the setting and still wind up ahead. But I''ve been to about 9 B&Ms and looked through all the settings trying to find what I am looking for, and it seems like a such a simple thing. I''ve looked online and found no comparables. Can anyone help me out? Do I need to have this custom made? Or am I over-analyzing the setting?

My girlfriend has not been engaged (heheh) in the process except enough for me to know that it oughta be round, and she likes sidestones. She, to my knowledge, isn''t a size whore or a brand whore. I''m not necessarily either. I just want to get as nice a setting as the Tiffany. Am I a complete nutjob or what? Suggestions, ridicule, and abuse are welcome. For now.

TwoMonths (Shyeah right)

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
if you like the tiffany you certainly can afford it. don't forget to budget for the matching wedding bands.

edited to add: the tiffany 31K includes the setting yes?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Well I vote F VSI that''s my sweet spot for Diamond Ring Shopping. With your budget no need to compromise on color or clarity & the setting from Tiffany can surely be custom made. Might not look exactly like it but it will definitely look gorgeous.

Trust me no one will know it''s not a Tiffany. I''ve never had anyone look at my ring & exclaim "hey that''s a Tiffany". The only time they know it''s Tiffany is the store itself or if a person asks where my husband purchased it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diam100, let me just say that your rings are exquisite!

TwoMonths

Rough_Rock
Okay, that excel diamonds setting is exactly what I am trying to replicate. Thanks a ton for digging that out. I thought I''d looked everywhere, but that''ll do perfectly.

Okay, so now how do I get a diamond from one vendor and a ring from the other and marry (ok, so maybe I love puns) them up? Do I buy the diamond and have it sent to the ring vendor or do I need to negotiate all this on the phone? Any thoughts?

I must say, I can''t believe one post could save me so many THOUSANDS of dollars and yield a higher quality result in the rock. I think I might be moving from stressed back to excited again.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Call up the vendors in question and ask how they want to handle it. That''s the easiest way to do it.

shay

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2006 9:27:07 AM
Author: TwoMonths
Okay, that excel diamonds setting is exactly what I am trying to replicate. Thanks a ton for digging that out. I thought I''d looked everywhere, but that''ll do perfectly.

Okay, so now how do I get a diamond from one vendor and a ring from the other and marry (ok, so maybe I love puns) them up? Do I buy the diamond and have it sent to the ring vendor or do I need to negotiate all this on the phone? Any thoughts?

I must say, I can''t believe one post could save me so many THOUSANDS of dollars and yield a higher quality result in the rock. I think I might be moving from stressed back to excited again.
Yes, it is exciting to get what you want and save money in the process!

Some of the people here had the diamond vendor ship the diamond to Excel to have the diamond set. Sometimes they will send it back to the diamond vendor to check everything out before sending it back to you. And in at least one case I recall the person had the setting shipped to a local jeweler and had thier stone set. But I''d personally like the stone to be set by the person who makes the setting, just to be sure it is right. The vendors here have a lot at stake making people happy since the rings are eventually posted here along with the comments of the experience!

That GOG stone would be magnificent in that setting. I''d call Jonathan and ask him of he has sent stones to Excel for setting before. Then promise you''ll post pictures (because I want one, too!).

00dmn

Rough_Rock
That''s a fantastic budget. With that budget you can get pretty much whatever you/she want. If it were me, and given current vendor stock, I''d go with one of the following stones, the first of which is the one you posted:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_72ct_f_vs1_h%26a.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_80ct_d_vs2_h%26a.htm

http://www.goodoldgold.com/2_03ct_g_vs2_h%26a.htm

For the setting you''re looking at, I would probably have it custom made very similarly to the setting at the top of this page:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/January-05/

Any one of those stones would keep you under $30K and potentially well under!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2006 9:27:07 AM
Author: TwoMonths

Definitely call up excel diamonds. I have a tiffany replica from them and multiple people have assumed I have the real tiffany, including girls with the real one. Excel makes absolutely gorgeous replicas. As far as shipping a diamond. Most diamond vendors will ship to any address for you for free, and once it''s set, Barry from excel will ship to you for free. There is nothing you need to worry about! Glad you decided to save a couple of bucks and get a better diamond!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get the Excel Tiffany replica and put a big honking stone in it...with that kind of budget I''d even go 2c+ and not spend on D VVS but get something more like G VS or H SI. Good luck!

Ashtangi

Rough_Rock
Has anyone compared the Excel to the WF setting? I''m trying to decide between both of them - WF seems to have a couple of the smaller details right vs. the Excel setting. Thoughts?

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
To answer your question re: "marrying" the diamond and the setting:

Arrange to have the diamond vendor (GOG?) direct-ship the selected diamond to one of the appraisers who participates on this forum, and who also offers the service of mounting loose stones. This can either be done before you pay on a pre-approval basis, or after you pay in which case you have 30 days to reject and return the loose stone.

Dave Atlas of Gem Appraisers in PA is a knowledgeable and ethical appraiser who also offers mounting as a service. I''ve worked with Dave and Christian DeCamillo of his office, and I can vouch for their honesty and integrity ...

Then, also arrange to have the setting vendor direct-ship the setting to the same appraiser (who can also assess the setting for stability, quality, correctness of size for the diamond, etc.).

In this way, the diamond and mounting will be insured every step of the way ... the loose stone can be assessed or appraised within GOG''s specified return period ... same for the selected mounting ... and the completed ring will be express-shipped to you from the appraiser once you are completely satisfied.

PLUS, you can save a ton of sales tax this way (depending on where you are, where the vendor is and where the selected appraiser is).

P.S.: Given your generous budget and the cut, color and clarity specifications you describe, I would definitely suggest that you go with one of the GOG diamonds - - you definitely won''t regret it! I hope this helps ... best of luck to you and let us know what you decide!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Actually I tend to think that SC''s setting is a tiny bit more like the REAL tiffany than the WF setting...the WF is a beautiful close replica but the SC takes it that tiny bit further IMO.

Someone recently posted them side by side to show comparisons...IMO the SC is the best looking, even better looking than the REAL TIFFANY.

Askani

Rough_Rock
Funny you should post this question. I just proposed yesterday and was almost dead set on getting a ring from Tiffanys, but was put off by the $13k for a 1.03 carat ring. I was referred to this forum from the forums on Fatwallet. Through all my research I ended up finding a .90 E, VVS2 diamond and ordered it with the setting already posted in this thread by diamondseeker2006 (I''ve attached a pic). This cost me between $5 and $10k. I will say, if you''re gf is not big on size, don''t go big. Many find big to be gaudy. I actually purchased a CZ replica for $50 and had my gf try it on and as it was 1.50 carat she thought it was too big and I thought it was slightly large for her finger size (she''s a 5). I was worried the .90 would be too small, but it was perfect (she actually thinks it''s so big, as everyone she''s shown it to has been dazzled by it). Save some of your money for the wedding and such (you''ll need it... or you can donate some of it to me). I know many people say to go with something that looks clean to the naked I, but I say as there are 4-5 important things you can do in your life (raise kids, get married, pick a school, etc) go with the best ring possible. Get as flawless as you can get, while no one will know you and her will. Good luck.

BTW, the people at whiteflash were great to work with. I definitely recommend them.

Tiffany_Solitare_Ring.jpg

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
ETA: OOPS... I thought you were looking for a solitaire setting. Ignore the following...except maybe the WF thread in case you decide to go custom with them. Have them shave the prongs down.

two months, did you see this thread? Someone just got the supercert replica and posted pictures.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/superbcert-tiffany-classic-photos.40340/

The WF one is also very good. I would have them shave the prongs down even more like this guy did on his custom hybrid.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-with-ring-pics.40158/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2006 10:43:50 PM
Author: Askani
Funny you should post this question. I just proposed yesterday and was almost dead set on getting a ring from Tiffanys, but was put off by the $13k for a 1.03 carat ring. I was referred to this forum from the forums on Fatwallet. Through all my research I ended up finding a .90 E, VVS2 diamond and ordered it with the setting already posted in this thread by diamondseeker2006 (I''ve attached a pic). This cost me between $5 and $10k. I will say, if you''re gf is not big on size, don''t go big. Many find big to be gaudy. I actually purchased a CZ replica for $50 and had my gf try it on and as it was 1.50 carat she thought it was too big and I thought it was slightly large for her finger size (she''s a 5). I was worried the .90 would be too small, but it was perfect (she actually thinks it''s so big, as everyone she''s shown it to has been dazzled by it). Save some of your money for the wedding and such (you''ll need it... or you can donate some of it to me). I know many people say to go with something that looks clean to the naked I, but I say as there are 4-5 important things you can do in your life (raise kids, get married, pick a school, etc) go with the best ring possible. Get as flawless as you can get, while no one will know you and her will. Good luck.

BTW, the people at whiteflash were great to work with. I definitely recommend them.
Congratulations, Askani! Your ring is beautiful, and I like your reasoning!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the GOG F VS2!

TwoMonths

Rough_Rock
Askani, that ring is very beautiful and is very much in line with what I want to do as well. And I''m glad you wrote what you did. I think that my GF would be really self-conscious about something too big as well. Discussion with close friends have confirmed that it just wouldn''t be her. And if I don''t get one that''s mind-clean, I guess it wouldn''t be me. So I think I have some hard decisions to make.

In any event, I just want to thank everyone for responding and giving me some great perspectives and great help. So some pictures will be in order when everything is decided, done, and in hand.

Thanks tons.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results