shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding an Asscher Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Monk

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I have been looking for a stone a while but would like some advice from some the experts. I have searched and read through some of the posts by Storm aka strmrdr. I just want to get the best I can with what I got. I would like to have at least 1 carat and and IF with any color at g or above. I am not sure if this is the right section but any help would be appreciated. I was also looking at having the vatche x-prong knife edge as the setting. Probably like the one that cymbrie was looking for (I ran across cymbrie''s post).

Thanks in advanced,
Monk.

skphotoimages

Shiny_Rock
What about this one. Or are you looking for a truely IF? This one is REALLY close.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/asscher_1_31ct_g_vvs2.htm

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey Monk,

Welcome to pricescope. The resident asscher expert is strmrdr (as you've already figured out), I'm sure he'll respond shortly. Of course you can always PM him if he doesn't chime in soon. I don't know anything about asscher's except that their beautiful and it's hard to choose a pretty one.
35.gif

Monk

Rough_Rock
Wow, you all responded pretty fast!

I really was set on the IF but am willing to adjust, especially if it''s worth it.
4.gif
This forum is great, like one big helpful family. I''ll pm strmrdr as well. That is a great example skphotoimages.

I am looking for more sugestions.

Thanks,
Monk
21.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
best advise work with a vendor.
www.goodoldgold.com is my first pick for asschers.
Then post what they find and we can help from there.

another option is WF they have called some nice ones in for clients.

either way post here what is found and we will be glad to help.

Why IF? some people want it just cuz its IF and thats kewl but you can get lot bigger in an vvs1-vs2 for the same money.
There are very few IF asschers out there that are well cut they are mostly cut for weight because of the expensive rough.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
IF is overkill in my book. Why not VS1?? It''s up to you. I bought my asscher from GOG, and it''s an E, VS1. It''s an amazing stone.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Yes agree with Storm and Kaleigh, why pay for something neither of you will see on a day to day basis unless she carries a loupe
2.gif
honestly if I find an eyeclean SI1 I''ll certainly consider it. Although I have read among some Asian customs clarity carries other connotations, but if those aren''t important to you I would as Storm and Kaleigh suggest go with vvs1-2. Storm will find you the best of the best. Some of the vendors I''m tossing around btw when my time comes are GOG, WF, ERD, NiceIce and Judith Arnell if that helps I''ve heard nothing but raves about all of em and those are the ones that seem to specialize in quality asschers unless of course you want a Royal Asscher but those will run you 25%-40% more. Best of luck keep us posted and do send specs AND pix if possible, looking forward to seeing what you find...
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How bad can it be ?
10.gif

LINK

375x375.aspx

If there more such babies in the clutch... good for them
5.gif
And I am not talking about the E-VVS part - the picture does not show that, but the cut that shows plenty. No idea what exactly they call 'ideal proportions' there, but if this is what the recipe looks like, good for them (for what that matters, coming from a rookie).

The rules of Pricescope do not allow sellers to present their own merchandise aside the photo galleries, and this is where this one comes from.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow. That is a gorgeous diamond
3.gif
! I second the Good Old Gold recomendation. They have amazing asshers. Is the way they take the pictures any factor in why they look so much better and brighter than many asshers I have seen from other vendors or is it all the cut?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2005 8:33:30 PM
Author: indecisive

Is the way they take the pictures any factor in why they look so much better and brighter than many asshers I have seen from other vendors or is it all the cut?

You mean this?

pic1.jpg

Yeah, sure. Why not.

Honestly, I wish there wasn't so much black in there and this is also a matter of how pictures are taken, up to some point. If anything, the picture may not do much justice to a nicer stone. Details can be changed so much with lighting and setup, that much is left up to the photographer. E.G. in photos as in pictures of any kind more contrast reads as brightness although these are unrelated properties and... is that a CD that the diamond sits on?

These being said, I really don't think GOG is using these pictures to impress - if anything, there allot more detailed ones on the same page (for clarity, brilliance and those 3D models in which you can manipulate lighting).

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Ooops... I didn''t mean to sound like I thought GOG was being decietful. The seem so honest and helpful. I was just noticing how different their pictures looked then one like this (I have see similar pictures other places then Whiteflash so I''m not trying to pick on them!) http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=6984525
I guess it is mostly lighting and background that make the difference? Sorry if these questions are really stupid!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2005 12:22:20 AM
Ooops... I didn''t mean to sound like I thought GOG was being decietful. The seem so honest and helpful. I was just noticing how different their pictures looked then one like this (I have see similar pictures other places then Whiteflash so I''m not trying to pick on them!) http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=6984525

I guess it is mostly lighting and background that make the difference? Sorry if these questions are really stupid!

WF has been taking some better asscher pictures using different lighting but there stock lighting is not very good for asschers at all it is highly tuned for shooting rounds.
Im not thrilled with the asschers they have in stock but they have been calling in some decent ones for clients.

Monk

Rough_Rock
Such a wealth of information,
Thanks alot. I do have a few questions about buying from vendors online. I have been looking at Whiteflash for a long time and just wasn''t sure how do I go about it. Do I just call and ask them about the stone I was inquiring about? Then ask them to send pictures? Or is the example image the stone? Sorry for the Newbe questions, I just don''t want to do the wrong thing. Hey cymbrie, how''d you know I was asian
1.gif
. Anywho, I am still open to suggestions as well. The specs aren''t set in stone, I guess they where merely a starting point.

Thanks,
Monk

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2005 12:22:20 AM
Ooops...
Oh well, your question is very much right (IMO, at least) - it doesn't sound like implying anything but the obvious fact that photography is not an objective way to describe diamonds (or anything?).

I can't claim to be able to guess what lighting was used in every and each diamond photo on the web, or even if they are manipulated or not.
40.gif
Whatever I'd say, it is at most an (approximately) educated guess.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
with WF and asschers you have to call and tell them what your looking for and they will call them in for pictures.
There is a charge for calling them in that is put towards the price of the diamond if you buy it.
GOG will sometimes call them in for free if its something they need where WF always charges.

Wanted to add that when you get the pictures post them and we will take a look at them with you and help.

Monk

Rough_Rock
Oh I see,
So as a guideline, what should I actually be looking for? Should I make size take precedence, or color, or etc. I hear a lot of people saying that I can go as far as s1 and still get a nice stone. Is GOG good at helping me pick out a stone? Sorry for the being such a newb and having so many questions
40.gif

Thanks,
Monk

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
better off staying with vs2 or higher.
iv never seen an eyeclean si1 asscher and iv looked at a few.
They will help and you can run the numbers by us as a check.
The asscher thread in the faq has the info on the numbers to look for as a starting point.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 8:23:35 PM
Author: ithinkthisistheone
I am going to piggie back on this thread....

I was browsing through the gog list and saw this stone...

storm,

any thoughts? it appears to have extra facets on the bottom. Is ''I'' color a concern for this cut?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/asscher_1_74ct_i_vs1.htm

clarity1.jpg

yea it does its a 3 crown 5 pavilion facet.
Its a better diamond than the picture indicates, the lighting doesnt agree with them much.
Ask Tim what brand it is :}
I like to stay above h in asschers but others like I/J in them.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should start your own thread ithinkthisistheone.
20.gif

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 8:28:01 PM
Author: kaleigh
20.gif

sorry!

no one ever replies to my threads so I had to steal someone elses! I am done!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you will get lots of help if you start a new thread, really.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 8:39:29 PM
Author: ithinkthisistheone
Date: 12/12/2005 8:28:01 PM

Author: kaleigh

20.gif

sorry!

no one ever replies to my threads so I had to steal someone elses! I am done!

must have been posted on my off-day.
if its about asschers make sure and put asscher in the title. :}

Monk

Rough_Rock
Great stuff,
Is there somebody you would recommend at GoG to talk to?
Thanks,
Monk

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2005 1:49:55 AM
Author: Monk
Great stuff,

Is there somebody you would recommend at GoG to talk to?

Thanks,

Monk

Tim handles most of the email and is good at what he does.
If you call see if Jon is avaialble he is a kewl to talk to on the phone.
Tell him strmrdr is watching if you do talk to Jon hehehehehehe
(little inside joke on how im always keeping tabs on what the PS vendors are up too)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I worked with Jonathon mostly when I bought my asscher. Tim is good too.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 12:52:40 PM
Author: strmrdr
with WF and asschers you have to call and tell them what your looking for and they will call them in for pictures.
There is a charge for calling them in that is put towards the price of the diamond if you buy it.

GOG will sometimes call them in for free if its something they need where WF always charges.

Wanted to add that when you get the pictures post them and we will take a look at them with you and help.

Actually, that's not correct Strm.

If a client is seriously interested in a diamond we don't have in inventory we'll have it sent to us for a full onsite workup. We do not charge for this. Furthermore, if the diamond fails to meet our quality approval and we reject it on behalf of the client (it happens once in a while) we encumber that cost as well.

The only circumstance where there would be a charge is if the diamond passes all of our tests but the client decides against buying it, in which case the client would be responsible for shipping charges only.

So it would be fair to say WF will call them in for free, but if it passes all tests and you decide against it there is a charge for shipping.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 5:23:41 PM
The asscher thread in the faq has the info on the numbers to look for as a starting point.
Hey Strm, I know some consumers like to recommend you to give your POV on asschers. We'd like to give some worldy input here, based on sourcing, analyzing and selling many asschers.

There are great eye-clean SI asschers to be had, just as there are in rounds. SI bears examination in any shape but we have sourced and sold incredible SI1 (and SI2) asschers that are eye-clean. It depends on the specific diamond and there is no way to tell the level of eye-clean unless you have it in-hand. In one of these threads it was also said (may have been someone else) that asschers below I will always show color. That isn't true. The particulars of each specific diamond influence face-up color. Remember there are also subdivisions within color grades, so a borderline I-J asscher that was strictly graded could be a J on paper but may face up like an I, or maybe even more colorless.

Without having it in front of you there is just no way to say decisively. That is why we elect to bring any diamond in before selling it - to make sure that it is evaluated by experts who can answer these questions. It would be unfortunate to reject wonderful (and less expensive) asschers - from any source - due to possibilities that are not definites.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2005 4:16:49 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Date: 12/12/2005 5:23:41 PM

Hey Strm, I know some consumers like to recommend you to give your POV on asschers. We''d like to give some worldy input here, based on sourcing, analyzing and selling many asschers.

We have all seen and laughed at the guote unquote asschers WF has in stock.
If thats an indication of the other 990 i think ill stick with my own observations.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2005 11:55:38 AM
Author: JohnQuixote
Date: 12/12/2005 12:52:40 PM

So it would be fair to say WF will call them in for free, but if it passes all tests and you decide against it there is a charge for shipping.
The WF opinion on what a acceptable asscher is and what one actualy is are two vastly different things.
FACT: I have talked to consumers that ended up paying WF to bring asschers in that were dogs that the consumer rejected.
Now ya can fancy that up with all the big words you want but thats the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results