shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help choosing a Round

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Well, I finally got my girlfriend to make a choice on shape
2.gif

She told me she''d be completely happy with princess or round, so I am going round to get the better cut. Now, all this time I have been looking at mostly square shapes, so I am a little behind on the rounds, which seem to have firmer rules regarding quality. So, I ask you, PriceScope forum, to assist me in finding the best possible stone for my amazing girlfriend. I want to knock her socks off!

The stone will go into a platinum tiffany-style setting, since she prefers clean and classic. My budget for the stone is ~$4000, but I''ll budge a little on something really special. Both of us seem to be a little color sensitive, so the whiter the better. Clarity is not a major issue. Thanks in advance! You guys rule! Seriously!

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Here's one I have been looking at. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it's white and clean. The medium blue fluorescence is interesting, too.

[/u]

focalmatic

Rough_Rock
Here you go - INFINITY

Tell Gary that Jeff sent ya - I would even call him about it.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you need to go with a D... try an F or a G for a very super white diamond. you will be able to get a bigger stone as well and it will still look very white. Also, I would go to an eyeclean Si1 or maybe a Si2 if you can find a good eyeclean one. With that budget you can get pretty close to a carat if you could find a good G Si2.

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any more suggestions for me? Please?
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take a look at WF for an ES G SI1, as long as it''s eye clean that would be your best bet. These stones are a great value for your money and will be bright white. Good luck!!
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
give us some options to weed through mr. z!

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Why is it that HCA seems to conflict a bit with BrillianceScope? The higher (err, lower?) scoring stones on HCA don''t get consistent "Very High" on BrillianceScope...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2006 11:49:14 PM
Author: zach_xt
Why is it that HCA seems to conflict a bit with BrillianceScope? The higher (err, lower?) scoring stones on HCA don't get consistent 'Very High' on BrillianceScope...
A short answer that I think most people will agree with is that HCA is a rejection tool. You cannot choose from among diamonds <2 just based on HCA. However, Bscope results are supposed to correlate to what the human eye sees and therefore (methinks) can be used as a selection tool if that consumer believes in the BScope.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/trying-to-understand-the-hca-just-a-little-better.29193/=

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 11:49:14 PM
Why is it that HCA seems to conflict a bit with BrillianceScope? The higher (err, lower?) scoring stones on HCA don''t get consistent ''Very High'' on BrillianceScope...
they''re not going to correlate necessarily. they are two different things. the hca makes predictions about cut based on proportions and relies on the accuracy of the infromation entered. it does not take into account minor facets or optical symmetry, which has a definite impact on visiual performance. bs ''measures'' light return and gives results based on the metrics created for it. take each for what it is.

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Any more opinions of the stones I posted?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are all over the board with color and clarity. it''s hard to decide on something that will suit you when your preferences aren''t very clear. could you tell us more about what is important to you? prioritize what you want and we can help a little better.

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/22/2006 8:35:08 PM
Author:zach_xt
My budget for the stone is ~$4000, but I'll budge a little on something really special. Both of us seem to be a little color sensitive, so the whiter the better. Clarity is not a major issue.

I want a white stone, but everybody is saying d-f is not really necessary. Regardless, I am not going to rule them out completely. I want an excellent cut, first and foremost. The quality of the cut is top priority. Does being all over the board on color really matter? I am looking for excellent cut in a nearly white stone with good value. I'm not expecting anyone to decide for me. I just want some opinions on what looks good for the price. Maybe I'll just do this on my own since I am not getting much feedback on what I posted. Thanks anyway...

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I''ll just do this on my own since I am not getting much feedback on what I posted. Thanks anyway...

Hi Zach ...

I am taken aback with this.
6.gif

I know from previous experience here posting that there are well meaning, and helpful people on this forum, that are willing to take their valuable time to try and help others. In this instance, trying to help you find a diamond that is going to knock the woman of your deams socks off!

I personally think that you have gotten some very good feedback, and there are people on your thread that did want to help you, they just needed a little more clarification as to your priorities so that they could give you valuable insight, trying to help you find the best diamond possible.

If your budget is around $4,000.00 ... you could find quite a few ideal cut diamonds in that price range. I can guarantee you that it would take a very long time to enter in all the possibles and data onto this site for you. I think if you could just be more specific like;

1. I want the best cut diamond/ideal cut possible.
2. color is next priority, I have gone to see ideal cut diamonds as the stores and I know that I don''t want to go lower than x,y, or z.
3. Size is next ... I would like to get the biggest possible considering the 1st two priorities.
4. clarity. I have seen some SI1''s and those are fine, I would even consider an SI2 as long as it was eye clean.

This above is just an example of what I think people on your thread were asking for, just some clarification so that it would be easier to help you find that one special diamond that is going to knock off your beloved''s socks.

I personally wanted to help, but I was a little concerned as to how I could help. You stated "the whiter the better" ... well I am color sensitive too, however, my white might not be white enough ... and it is going to be hard to tell from just a picture to discern how white it is really going to be. Artic white, eggshell white, or just how white my eyes are right now as I type this at 3am?
24.gif

You also stated that "clarity is not a major issue." Well, does that mean that it would be ok to look for a not clean SI2 or even we could look at I1''s?

You say that your budget is $4,00.00 but are willing to budge if it is something really special. My question to you is ... "What quality do you consider "really special" to budge over the $4,000.00, and how much are you willing to budge.

I am sure that the wonderful people
28.gif
here who you initially trusted for insight and wisdom do not just want to randomly waste their time looking to find you something that is not even in your ball park. You did say ... "You guys rule! Seriously!"
36.gif

So, if you want some help, your going to have to help us too, so we can help you.

oh ... by the way, I have posted on this forum before and didn''t get as many responses as you, I didn''t take it personally that no one replied to one of my threads ... I just figured that maybe people have a life outside of this forum (Did I just say that?![:errrr:] I hope I don''t get my official Pricescope card revoked!
31.gif
, or they just didn''t know what to say. Consider yourself lucky that someone actually responded!
36.gif

Well, Zach ... I wish you good luck on your search for the perfect stone. Keep us updated.

Have a great weekend to all!
35.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/23/2006 11:38:39 PM
Author: JulieN
I like the performance of http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_84ct_h_si2_h%26a.htm much better than the other two, just for comparison''s sake.

I was eyeballing this diamond too
9.gif
... just out of my price range. The Bscope is really nice! Thanks for posting JulieN!
36.gif

Have a great day!
35.gif

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 6:52:59 AM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy

I am taken aback with this.
6.gif

Sorry, it wasn''t intended to be insulting or complaining. I just realized that maybe I am too varied on what I want, and I should just spend some more time on my own. I guess I was just looking for opinions on stones that caught my eye - not necessarily fitting into some strict parameters.

This forum is a fantastic resource and everyone here is extremely helpful and friendly. I am very thankful for the responses that I received so far. The "Thanks anyway..." was genuine. Hard to get a feeling for tone over the internet. Thank you for your post as well, by the way.
2.gif

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Okay, if anyone is still interested in helping me...

I'm forcing myself to set some parameters:

Budget: ~$4000
Color: D-G maybe H
Clarity: SI1 or better
Cut: Ideal
Carat: .8's +

Thanks!
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2006 3:28:40 PM
Okay, if anyone is still interested in helping me...

I''m forcing myself to set some parameters:

Budget: ~$4000
Color: D-G maybe H
Clarity: SI1 or better
Cut: Ideal
Carat: in the .8''s

Thanks!
1.gif
zach
IMO....i think in your case, the best bet for you would be F vs2.
2.gif
F is still in the colorless range and VS 2 should be eye clean.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with F, but I wouldn''t rule out SI1s.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Zack!

Hey no prob! It is hard to define tone sometimes. I just know that there are alot of really genuinely nice
face23.gif
and wonderful people here on PS
emthup.gif
, that don''t mind helping others
36.gif
... And there are quite of few of them that have so much wisdom and experience first hand ... very valuable indeed for the ones who need a little help here and there! (Like me!
10.gif
)

It not only will make it easier for others to help, but you yourself will benefit by setting some parameters. (Good job!) I know for myself in the beginning ... WOW, I was very overwhelmed and wasted so much time looking or considering diamonds that were not in my ball park.
7.gif

I am glad your back!
9.gif
This is one of the happiest forums that I know of, and I just love how total strangers are willing to help! This is awesome.
emlove.gif
emthup.gif
emlove.gif

Have a super weekend!
35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2006 4:41:13 PM
Author: ChooChoo
I agree with F, but I wouldn''t rule out SI1s.
i love SI 1s stones, ex value
36.gif
in this case i say VS 2 just to be safe.
2.gif

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 4:51:08 PM
Author: ChooChoo
Check out this stone:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=798996

I would get the crown/pav angles on this to run through the cut adviser, but it looks promising.

This one scores a 1 on HCA. Looks good...

I took my girlfriend by Tiffany today. That was a mistake.

"Ooh, honey, that looks pretty!"
"Yeah, babe, that's $105,000."
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results