shape
carat
color
clarity

Need expert help on Sapphire purchase

lakss

Rough_Rock
Hello Experts,
I bought both the diamond rings based on feedback from this community. Now, I am thinking about upgrading my wife's ring to a Sapphire. I read some articles to understand the basics. The more I read, the more I get confused about hue, saturation and color etc, so wanted to reach out this community. Could you please suggest Blue Sapphire stones, (Oval or Square), price range: 15 - 25K and what are the important parameters to look for while buying Sapphire?

Thanks,
Laks

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!

How wonderful! That’s a healthy budget.

Before you dive in, I’d get a better sense of your wife’s color preferences. Do you know what color of blue she likes? I might suggest looking online and having her pick out colors she likes. Usually people pick for ideal color above all else. (Check the Instagram out below)

I’d personally work with a vendor who specializes in colored stones, especially given your budget. This will help you dodge problematic stones and leave such an important purchase to an expert. Unless you prefer the hunt, this may be a good fit for you.

Inken at Enhoerning is referred to a lot on this forum. I’ve not worked with her but she’s very reputable and has an incredible eye.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that’s a great budget.
If you want unheated, that will eat into your budget. Heat only is common and not a negative BUT you do need a reputable lab report to confirm heat only (and not any residues and/or beryllium diffusion treatment.)
Some unheated sapphires with rutile have a nice “glow” effect in strong light. This isn’t to everyone’s taste though.
Firstly you need to decide preferred hue and tone.
Be aware that the deeper toned sapphires can look very dark once set and in low light settings. The offset here is for a beautiful vividness in bright light.
Lighter toned sapphires are generally not vivid but their positive is they are more “sparkly” and don’t go too dark in low light.
Whatever you chose, make sure your vendor provides lots of photos and videos, preferably also outside in natural light AND has a return policy. Sometimes gems just don’t look as you thought / expected once you have them in hand.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have not already, I suggest you read this stickied thread:

Reactions: T L
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results