shape
carat
color
clarity

my wife is getting 3 extra days off which equals to a 15% pay cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
July 1 (Bloomberg) -- California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said he will shut down government offices the first three Fridays of every month and declared a fiscal emergency forcing lawmakers into a special session to tackle the state’s growing deficit.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Well, depending on your money situation...this can be good or bad.

More time off, a work/life balance is nice....

Less money...not so much.

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
I think lots of people, especially state workers, would have problem making ends meet if they continue to get "extra days off".

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
uggg- sorry unless this is a good thing? three extra day with the family is a good thing but taking a pay cut bites

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2009 8:48:25 PM
Author: lovegem
I think lots of people, especially state workers, would have problem making ends meet if they continue to get ''extra days off''.
especially if both husband and wife works for the state. i would guess the avg Ca state worker''s monthly salary is about 4K,so if both husband and wife works for the state then they would lose $1200 per month of income.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
still better than a 100% pay cut.........

mz

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear about the pay cut DF... Hope you and DW can find a way around it...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, I am sorry to hear this.
15.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2009 10:56:44 PM
Author: SparklyLibra
Sorry to hear about the pay cut DF... Hope you and DW can find a way around it...
hope my wife don't need to mooch off of me.
paddle.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 12:09:25 AM
Author: Linda W
15.gif
grandma,we may need to move in with you. how many spear rooms you have ?
yuminmytum.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
DF, DO you know how CA got into such a messy financial situation? How long ago did it start? I have only lived here for 2 years, and I can hardly believe such a beautiful state has such serious problems. UC university system is considering to make mandatory salary cut on all employees too, but many of us (including myself) are self-funded through the federal/private foundation grants! No part of my income is even associated with the State of CA. It is simply a mess!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 12:25:03 AM
Author: zhuzhu
DF, DO you know how CA got into such a messy financial situation? How long ago did it start? I have only lived here for 2 years, and I can hardly believe such a beautiful state has such serious problems. UC university system is considering to make mandatory salary cut on all employees too, but many of us (including myself) are self-funded through the federal/private foundation grants! No part of my income is even associated with the State of CA. It is simply a mess!
it all started about 4 yrs ago when the Ca housing market went bust. the Ca unemployment # kept on going up so less and less tax revenue comes in,cuz people don''t have any money to spent. my guess the Ca unemployment number has alrready hit 13% compared to nationwide of 9.6%.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2009 10:01:58 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 7/2/2009 8:48:25 PM

Author: lovegem

I think lots of people, especially state workers, would have problem making ends meet if they continue to get 'extra days off'.
especially if both husband and wife works for the state. i would guess the avg Ca state worker's monthly salary is about 4K,so if both husband and wife works for the state then they would lose $1200 per month of income.

DF -- your guestimate caught me by surprise so I did a bit of checking... 4K is about right for employees whose jobs require vocational school or the equivalent provided they have several years of experience. Most positions that assume a bachelor's degree would come in higher than that. But, 14 percent is 14 percent, and a lot of people are going to have trouble adjusting their budgets to that new reality if it lasts.

Nonetheless -- and here's where I really appreciate the relative anonymity of a board like this -- I think it's fair and reasonable for State employees to take a pay cut during such difficult times. Before you blast me, I know it's not being administered fairly. I know the attendant savings are really quite small. I know (believe me, I know) that in many people will have to do just as much work in less time and for less pay. I know that the Friday furloughs are posturing, and that we'll soon be back to self-directed furloughs that are a management nightmare. But I think a furlough is appropriate given the budget situation and the likelihood that the depressed markets and revenues are likely to continue for awhile. I am hoping we don't end up with a fourth furlough day, but I wouldn't bet on that.
7.gif

Are you sure your main gripe isn't with the fact that you're being deprived of yet another day of having the house (and computer) to yourself?
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 1:58:39 AM
Author: VRBeauty

DF -- your guestimate caught me by surprise so I did a bit of checking... 4K is about right for employees whose jobs require vocational school or the equivalent provided they have several years of experience. Most positions that assume a bachelor''s degree would come in higher than that. But, 14 percent is 14 percent, and a lot of people are going to have trouble adjusting their budgets to that new reality if it lasts.

Nonetheless -- and here''s where I really appreciate the relative anonymity of a board like this -- I think it''s fair and reasonable for State employees to take a pay cut during such difficult times. Before you blast me, I know it''s not being administered fairly. I know the attendant savings are really quite small. I know (believe me, I know) that in many people will have to do just as much work in less time and for less pay. I know that the Friday furloughs are posturing, and that we''ll soon be back to self-directed furloughs that are a management nightmare. But I think a furlough is appropriate given the budget situation and the likelihood that the depressed markets and revenues are likely to continue for awhile. I am hoping we don''t end up with a fourth furlough day, but I wouldn''t bet on that.
7.gif

Are you sure your main gripe isn''t with the fact that you''re being deprived of yet another day of having the house (and computer) to yourself?
2.gif
my daughter just started her state job this week.her starting salary is $2810 with a BA degree.

why would i blast you? i don''t work for the State
9.gif
i''d think the state waste a lot of taxpayer''s money.
14.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear this, DF. It's tough when the State is bankrupt though.
38.gif
I know the State knew it would come down to this yet didn't seem to take enough action years ago when they saw it coming.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/3/2009 8:38:06 AM
Author: Chrono
Sorry to hear this, DF. It''s tough when the State is bankrupt though.
38.gif
I know the State knew it would come down to this yet didn''t seem to take enough action years ago when they saw it coming.
the State wastes so much money.they hire more people then they needed to do the job.

i know a friend that starts his work day with drinking coffee,reading newspappers and magazines for the first 2 hrs,works for 2 hrs,then takes a 2 hour lunch. i say to him...you just ripping the taxpayers off,he said...yep,easy job.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2009 12:20:15 AM
Date: 7/3/2009 12:09:25 AM

Author: Linda W

15.gif
grandma,we may need to move in with you. how many spear rooms you have ?
yuminmytum.gif

The more the merrier, come on over.
9.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
That sucks, DF! Lots of pay-cuts / lay-offs everywhere. We just had HUGE lay-offs in Jan and there is rumored to be quite a bit more in September! Ugh!!

Date: 7/3/2009 12:25:03 AM
Author: zhuzhu
I heard about this! For my job I go to one of the UC hospitals quite frequently, and they, too, are funded in a large part by federal monies. But, still, they are getting 8% pay cuts across the board (4% if you are under $46K).

What is crazy to me about this is that this includes medical staff...doctors, etc. Doctors bill insurance companies and such for their services - surgeries, procedures, exams, etc. - and that reimbursement goes to the hospital, and the doctors get a salary. So, why would doctors be subject to a pay cut if they are still performing the same services, and still billing for them!! Doesn''t make any sense.

There is a lot of wacky stuff going on out there right now.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty
35.gif

they are now talking about a 4 day furlough which equal to a 18.5% pay cut.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
urgh stupid economy
14.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DF
35.gif

What the governor would like to do is to continue the three-day furlough and top that with a 5% pay cut with no furlough day. But a fourth unpaid furlough day is more likely to survive a legal challenge than a pay cut, so a fourth furlough day is what we'll probably end up with.

I recently paid off my house and I don't have anyone depending on me financially, so I can weather this. It's a whole nuther thing for people who aren't earning professional-level salaries, or young families who bought or refinanced their houses in the past few years, or mid-career couples who are putting kids through school... many people will find it difficult to give up such a large chunk of their income. Unfortunately a lot of California's local governments are in the same vise.

So... I spent this Furlough Friday cleaning my kitchen. I expect to be bringing lunches to work more and eating out less!
12.gif

ETA -- we'll see how long that lasts!
11.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2009 7:28:08 PM
VRBeauty
35.gif

they are now talking about a 4 day furlough which equal to a 18.5% pay cut.
That stinks, my husband is currently on a 2 week furlough
23.gif
not sure where we are gonna get the money to pay some of our bills
14.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh DL -- I'm so sorry. I'm sure that's a huge chunk taken out of your budget.
7.gif
Hang in there -- I hope things turn around for his workplace soon!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
DF - sorry about the pay cut. We are in the same boat. And on top of of DH''s 15% pay cut, I just got 10% pay cut (furloughs start this fiscal year).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2009 7:46:39 PM
Author: VRBeauty
Hi DF
35.gif

What the governor would like to do is to continue the three-day furlough and top that with a 5% pay cut with no furlough day. But a fourth unpaid furlough day is more likely to survive a legal challenge than a pay cut, so a fourth furlough day is what we'll probably end up with.

I recently paid off my house and I don't have anyone depending on me financially, so I can weather this. It's a whole nuther thing for people who aren't earning professional-level salaries, or young families who bought or refinanced their houses in the past few years, or mid-career couples who are putting kids through school... many people will find it difficult to give up such a large chunk of their income. Unfortunately a lot of California's local governments are in the same vise.

So... I spent this Furlough Friday cleaning my kitchen. I expect to be bringing lunches to work more and eating out less!
12.gif

ETA -- we'll see how long that lasts!
11.gif
good for you
36.gif
we paid off ours 6 yrs ago. i heard many state workers may lose their home if furlough Friday becomes permanent.
5.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Sorry DF! I work for the feds, and the state I manage is CA. One of my contacts out there told me yesterday that she''ll probably have to get a part-time job since she''s a single mom.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2009 11:05:46 PM
Author: Logan Sapphire
Sorry DF! I work for the feds, and the state I manage is CA. One of my contacts out there told me yesterday that she''ll probably have to get a part-time job since she''s a single mom.
LS
can you please give Ca more $$$''s ?
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,

I am so sorry. Do you want to come live with Supa Granny and her hubby.
9.gif

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
As a state employee getting cuts... it is completely exhausting hearing the "it is better than losing your job " over and over. I am a NJ state employee. I went to the best state colleges, got my masters by age 22. I work for the NJ DOC in a rather sought after program for promotional opportunity. I just entered my 27th month in the job. I have had my own ONE bedroom 600 sq ft apartment in a decent but nothing to brag about area of south jersey. I work TWO part time jobs and even with all of this can no longer afford to live on my own. I drive an economy car, don''t splurge (heck with 3 jobs who has time to splurge) Now my rent is going up but my salary is going down. The furlough days are a terrible economic blow to me but not enough time off to pick up another job to supplement. I still haven''t figured out why I have to suffer to fix a budget I didn''t break.
29.gif
If I can''t make ends meet WITH my job... why is that so much better than losing my job????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results