shape
carat
color
clarity

My thoughts today are with the the women and girls of Afganistan

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If he isn't already in touch with Afghanistan task force at State you may want to contact on his behalf.

Also, this is super paranoid but if you or your non-Afghan friend have any links or photos that identify this person or his family on social media - delete them! The Taliban wants to find "collaborators" and our social media will expose connections between westerners and Afghan interpreters, translators, support staff

Thanks! I will pass that on. The guy I put him in touch with is likely in contact, but it never hurts for more at a time like this. I looked through my friend's page and didn't see any name or photos anywhere. Will check closer in case I missed.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Afghanistan's history has been tragic. I am thinking its only way for normal peaceful development would have been if the revolution in Imperial Russia had not happened. It was too close to Russian Turkestan, but as that country was developing, civilization probably would have slowly spread into Afghanistan. With the Revolution, the formation of the Soviet Union, and the development into the Cold War, Afghanistan had to be involved into big politics, by virtue of geographical position. Since 1979, it never had a moment of peace. I feel sorry for a small, mountainous country, that is now a big threat to the world. Hope it won't lead to bigger conflicts.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Everyone knew the US was going to withdraw - why on earth did they not slowly evacuate all the Afghans who worked with them and their families (and this applies to all the countries who had a presence in Afghanistan!) it was clear from the start that the army was not going to be able to hold off the Taliban. Why was this left to the last minute?

I'm not sure a slow withdrawal would have been successful. The situation was worse than we were led to believe for years, and since the Taliban leaders were free, any sign that we were actively and immediately pulling out would embolden them more. We could have probably planned to evacuate x, y, and z over a certain span of time, but I think the Taliban would've just started the kidnappings and killings earlier in anticipation of their enemies being evacuated.

Afghanistan was a pawn for so long, used by the US, Europe, and Middle East at various times. This withdrawal was long overdue and horrible to see. There was no good time to do it, and the consequences were pretty obvious but no one thought they would happen so swiftly. How could anyone still underestimate the Taliban? We will most likely be learning a lot more disheartening information about our time there as it comes out.

I'm not sure a slow withdrawal would have been successful. The situation was worse than we were led to believe for years, and since the Taliban leaders were free, any sign that we were actively and immediately pulling out would embolden them more. We could have probably planned to evacuate x, y, and z over a certain span of time, but I think the Taliban would've just started the kidnappings and killings earlier in anticipation of their enemies being evacuated.

Afghanistan was a pawn for so long, used by the US, Europe, and Middle East at various times. This withdrawal was long overdue and horrible to see. There was no good time to do it, and the consequences were pretty obvious but no one thought they would happen so swiftly. How could anyone still underestimate the Taliban? We will most likely be learning a lot more disheartening information about our time there as it comes out.

Maybe, but you can't help but think something like expediting their visas and making sure their travel documentation was in place, and letting them know a time and date they needed to all show up at the airport - all of which could have been done before pulling out - and then evacuating them all in a 2-3 day period before formally pulling out would've been a possible move that would've been safer and cleaner than this current free for all. And its not just the US - so many European powers have also failed the Afghanis who worked with them.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s heartbreaking for sure and I feel awful for the women & children in this situation. However I believe it was never going to end any differently… it wouldn’t have mattered if the US left now or later.

I had an interesting conversation with my ex who served there and he had called this out for many many years. Their own army (ANA) simply didn’t want to fight. Despite 20 years of training and investment, generally the ANA didn’t /couldn’t stand on their own two feet. They still relied entirely on coalition forces to do the hard work for them. In part it comes down to tribal culture and that fact that they have seen this many times before - “invasion” that comes & go. They simply wait it out. He felt there was never a united national front. Still very tribal with soldiers only caring about their local village, unable to see or care about the bigger picture. It was always “what’s in it for me?” never about the moral driver - only tangible gains. It was incredibly dangerous as the locals would sell them out for literally anything. He knew the moment coalition left - it would revert to status quo and lo & behold….here we are. ;( It doesn’t detract from the horror of this situation but it may in part explain it.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There’s a fundraiser organized by quentin.quarantino on IG that’s raised over $5 million in about a day to rescue people from a certain death.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s heartbreaking for sure and I feel awful for the women & children in this situation. However I believe it was never going to end any differently… it wouldn’t have mattered if the US left now or later.

Trying to do impossible things tends to lead to bad results for everyone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thoughts with the 60 US families today who are now tragically incomplete

Mrs Flowers

Shiny_Rock
You know what makes me beyond angry in this whole situation? It was preventable. Why not evacuate Americans and allies first. Ensure their safety and then slowly pull our troops out. I’m mad at the incompetence of our government. Senseless loss of life and horror for those left behind. This was a major mistake not that we pulled our troops out but the way it was executed is a tragedy and my heart breaks

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what makes me beyond angry in this whole situation? It was preventable. Why not evacuate Americans and allies first. Ensure their safety and then slowly pull our troops out. I’m mad at the incompetence of our government. Senseless loss of life and horror for those left behind. This was a major mistake not that we pulled our troops out but the way it was executed is a tragedy and my heart breaks

Agree with you 101% ... nod.gif

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Absolutly disgusting does not just apply to the US govt's effort on this

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutly disgusting does not just apply to the US govt's effort on this

is this saying that the NZ government has just decided to leave their people there? I don't think the U.S. has said that they are doing the same. Maybe I'm misreading the article.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
is this saying that the NZ government has just decided to leave their people there? I don't think the U.S. has said that they are doing the same. Maybe I'm misreading the article.

That's how im reading it

i surpose we should hope its just bad junolism

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Why the hell abandon Bagram airfield which was defensible and far far better suited to evacuate people safely than Kabul? They also left behind millions of dollars of aircraft, arms and ammunition, body armour etc. for the taliban terrorists to use against the West! What?!!!

If you have no choice but to pull out and abandon that equipment it should get torched. But that wasn’t even the case. They chose to abandon that military position.

Whoever is responsible for this fiasco should swing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heartbreaking and infuriating.

They also left behind millions of dollars of aircraft, arms and ammunition, body armour etc. for the taliban terrorists to use against the West! What?!!!

We have morons in charge. That is and always has been the problem.
And innocent people end up paying with their lives.
Tragic beyond tragic. :(

Exactly. Horrific on all levels.

And this latest attack? The US government had intel that this might happen. It's as if they have learned nothing from all that has occurred before.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Seeing this along with current events also going on around the world has had me down lately. I remember 10 years ago feeling bright and optimistic despite having just come out of the GFC, things really seem to be going down the gurgler all over the world lately but what's going on in Afghanistan has really had me down in the dumps.

I mentioned to my wife the blackpill nihilism idea and when she asked me to explain it further I said the best way I can describe it is to think of the old western movie where there's a massive gun battle and the saloon bar has been set on fire - I'm that old guy sitting at the bar counter with a cigarette and a whiskey, completely indifferent to what's going on around me as glass shatters and things crumble.
I think I'm going to spend this weekend sitting at the Opal cabbing machine, just pumping out the brightness and hoping it brightens me up a bit too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why the hell abandon Bagram airfield which was defensible and far far better suited to evacuate people safely than Kabul? They also left behind millions of dollars of aircraft, arms and ammunition, body armour etc. for the taliban terrorists to use against the West! What?!!!

If you have no choice but to pull out and abandon that equipment it should get torched. But that wasn’t even the case. They chose to abandon that military position.

Whoever is responsible for this fiasco should swing.
One of hundreds of Qs that our leaders don't have an answer to.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results