shape
carat
color
clarity

My new kitty, Ezra!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!! Ezra is so sweet
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Lots of love and head bonks from our (tuxedo cat, too) Sammy going out to Lola ("....She was a Showgirl...")
36.gif
35.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2008 9:58:06 PM
Author: princesss
Okay, I know it''s only been a day, but this is rough and I''m having to remind myself that it''s normal. Lola is not going to like him right away. She''s just not. It''s not like she''s completely freaking out, but anytime she''s within 5 feet of him she hisses and growls. Not continuously and not too loudly, but kind of enough to say, ''I''m here and this is mine!'' And when he meows because he wants to be out with me, she just hisses. She''s spent most of the day glaring at me. I''m really trying to make sure that I pet them equally during introductions, but she''s making it pretty clear that she''s not thrilled about it.

I know it''ll just take time, and I can be patient. It''s just hard to watch.

It is TOTALLY normal, and it actually sounds very encouraging to me. No one is attacking anyone else, or intimidating each other, or stalking each other, just the hissing and some growling, which is actually really good. I know its hard to watch, but it is really completely normal and I predict they will get over it very soon.

Does Lola have favorite toys you could use to play with her? Could you incorporate some tasty treats into her day? Maybe even more love?

None of the above are strictly necessary, but might help you feel a little less stressed about the situation.

Honestly though, you are doing everything right and their behavior is completely normal - I know its tough, but try not to get discouraged!

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
He is handsome!
30.gif
So cuteee!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh, thank you for chiming in, AG! It''s good to know that it''s not horrible. Lola''s a little calmer today. There''s been less hissing, and she''s coming to me to get petted instead of immediately running to the door and hissing when the bell on Ezra''s collar makes noise.

I let Ezra run around the whole apartment for a few minutes yesterday (I closed Lola in my room). It was so funny! He would sniff something and then hop up and run back into the bathroom. Then he''d come and bonk himself in the reflection of the window, and then run. I''m thinking maybe it''s good to let that happen, so Lola gradually gets used to his smell in the apartment. She was pretty calm about that.

Hearing that this behaviour may actually be good was a big help. Thanks, AG.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I have to show off a few more pictures. I let Ezra out for a little bit today, and he cracked me up! He is nutso about catnip (Lola isn''t too affected by it) and LOVED the Boogey Mat! Oh my goodness. Plus I''m attaching a few photos so you can see how adorably awkward he is. He''s got the teenage boy body. He''s all paws! Too cute.

ezraawkwardteenager.jpg

princesss

Ideal_Rock

ezrareflection.jpg

princesss

Ideal_Rock
This picture just cracks me up. It''s him right before he shoots off across the room to chase something invisible.

ezrareadyforliftoff.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG LOVE the new pictures - TOO CUTE
30.gif
30.gif
He is just too precious for words.

I think what you are doing is exactly right - all the cat behaviorists at the shelter where I volunteer suggest "switching" the cats'' places when introducing a new kitty, exactly as you are doing, so they can get used to each others'' smells.

I see two additional signs of encouragement in this as well: the fact that Lola is hissing less and acting more normal already is great - its still very early days and those are both signs of adjusting, which is fantastic so soon.

Also, its great that Ezra has clearly adopted the bathroom as his "safe space" while Lola has a different safe space. This is very important - each kitty has a place they feel is their own, and that will help to smooth things along as well.

I''d say, so far, everything sounds like its going exactly as one would expect
9.gif

merlinthecat

Rough_Rock
Ain''t he a handsome fella ?

He''s looks like he''s got lots of catitude !

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww what a gorgeous kitty!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, great. I don''t think I''ve ever questioned myself so much than I have this weekend! I''ve basically been following my instincts and doing what makes sense, so it''s nice to know I''m not way off. Ezra is pretty eager to meet Lola, and he managed to escape twice today. The first time Lola hissed at him (I don''t blame her, he came running out at her) and the second time she just looked at me waiting for me to get him away. He was maybe 3 feet from her at that point. The lack of hissing encouraged me. I got him back in the room, and there was no hissing afterwards. I''m feeling so much better about all of this. Thank you so much for the help! I guess just hearing somebody else say things are going well puts things in perspective .

BF gets back from Nantucket tomorrow and I''m really excited for him to meet Ezra. Lola doesn''t mind BF, but I think Ezra''s going to
30.gif
him.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww what a gorgeous kitty!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 5:57:44 PM
Author: merlinthecat
Ain''t he a handsome fella ?

He''s looks like he''s got lots of catitude !

Lol! Catitude. That''s the perfect word for it.

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
Adorable kitty!!!!!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh I love [Ezra] and her big ears! Makes me want a kitten again....my two year old siamese is small, but he's no kitten anymore.

Congrats on your new furbaby....looks like we both had some great furbaby news recently!

ETA - oh crap, how did LOLA come out!! I meant Ezra....sorry about that! I got so caught up in the pics that I must have lost the name in my cute insanity!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Haha, tbe, this is Ezra. He''s my new guy. Lola''s the grey girl in my avatar.
2.gif
They''re both pretty adorable, though.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I have to post. This is driving me nuts.

Lola isn''t doing anything but hissing. I''ve let Ezra out a few times, and all she does is hiss. That''s it. If he''s more than 5 feet away, she''s fine. I mean, she kind of glares at him. But that''s really it. But if I keep him in the room, he meows and reaches under the door and is basically so pathetic I can''t stand it.

BF is sneezing WAY more than he did with Lola. Lola''s hissing, Ezra''s whining, BF is sneezing, and I''m terrified I might have made the wrong decision. I wanted him so Lola would have company and so I would have somebody to give more love to and a safe, happy home. Right now all that it''s doing is stressing me out.

To be fair, they haven''t touched one another. Ezra has snuck up behind Lola and sniffed her, and she just growled. I guess that''s good. There''s really been nothing but noise. I''m up to basically letting him out with her out for the majority of the time I''m home from work (a few hours, but done in spurts so Lola gets a break).

I started vacuuming daily when I get home from work (ah, the joys of a small apartment) so that should help BF''s allergies.

It''s just rough. Everybody I know with two cats says they hated each other at first and had dominance issues to work out, but they eventually left them alone to work it out and things are fine. I just...I haven''t had as much time to bond with Ezra, so I guess I just worry about Lola more. She was my first baby. I hate seeing her unhappy. I want so much for Ezra to be a part of our family. This is just really hard right now. I''ve never done this before and it''s hard to just have faith it''ll work, you know?

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
aw!! what a cutie!! he looks so snuggly!!
1237347t680xm00ub.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Awwww. . . what a cutie patootie! Adorable!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 9:34:35 PM
Author: princesss
Okay, I have to post. This is driving me nuts.

Lola isn''t doing anything but hissing. I''ve let Ezra out a few times, and all she does is hiss. That''s it. If he''s more than 5 feet away, she''s fine. I mean, she kind of glares at him. But that''s really it. But if I keep him in the room, he meows and reaches under the door and is basically so pathetic I can''t stand it.

BF is sneezing WAY more than he did with Lola. Lola''s hissing, Ezra''s whining, BF is sneezing, and I''m terrified I might have made the wrong decision. I wanted him so Lola would have company and so I would have somebody to give more love to and a safe, happy home. Right now all that it''s doing is stressing me out.

To be fair, they haven''t touched one another. Ezra has snuck up behind Lola and sniffed her, and she just growled. I guess that''s good. There''s really been nothing but noise. I''m up to basically letting him out with her out for the majority of the time I''m home from work (a few hours, but done in spurts so Lola gets a break).

I started vacuuming daily when I get home from work (ah, the joys of a small apartment) so that should help BF''s allergies.

It''s just rough. Everybody I know with two cats says they hated each other at first and had dominance issues to work out, but they eventually left them alone to work it out and things are fine. I just...I haven''t had as much time to bond with Ezra, so I guess I just worry about Lola more. She was my first baby. I hate seeing her unhappy. I want so much for Ezra to be a part of our family. This is just really hard right now. I''ve never done this before and it''s hard to just have faith it''ll work, you know?

It''s a hard transition, I know. Each time I brought a new kitty home (first the mohawk kitty, then our adoptee) to my big baby Cleo, there was tons of hissing and growling and spiky fur. She would bop the new babies on the head with her paws then run away. But she loves them both now and they sleep in a big cuddlefest. It just takes time, and Ezra is obviously not bothered by Lola, which makes a big difference. If he was hissing, too, it would take longer, but I bet Lola is over it in a week or so.

As for the allergies - does Lola shed much? Ezra might just shed more, so get him used to being brushed now so that it bothers your poor BF less.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, MonkeyPie! As I type this, Ezra got one of the toys I have lying around, and he''s been playing with it. Lola is sitting around and watching. No hissing, no growling, just watching. She''s made it clear to him that she doesn''t want him too close, but she''s not freaking out. *big sigh of relief*

Ezra is completely not bothered by this. He just wants to meet/play with Lola.

Great point about the brushing. That''s one of those wonderfully simple solutions it would have taken my ages to think of.

It''s actually eased up a lot since I posted (and that was what, 30 minutes ago?). So I''m calmer. And I think BF likes Ezra a lot more than he likes Lola, which is kind of what I was going for. I wanted an animal he could love and play with and be excited about. He thinks Lola is really aloof (she''s my princess) but Ezra is really fun.
1.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Well, I thought I''d give a non-panicked updated.

Lola and Ezra are doing pretty well. Ezra is out full time, and Lola is getting curious about him. She''ll go up to him and sniff him, but if he tries to initiate it he gets a swat on the head. She can comfortably sit on the opposite side of the couch (or even just on opposite sides of me) and have us pet them both.

In an amusing twist, Ezra has decided that he belongs to BF. He''s okay cuddling with me, but really prefers BF. BF''s allergies are a little nuts since Ezra made his decision. It''s actually kind of a relief. I do love him, but it''s very clear that the real bond is between Ezra and BF, and Lola clearly prefers me. BF''s currently trying to teach Ezra "down". He''s convinced that since the cat acts like a dog, he''ll figure out how to train him like a dog.

Anyways, they''re not exactly cuddle buddies yet, but Lola and Ezra are doing much, much better.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds as if the kits are beginning to settle and that things are going well. You can never rush the process, it is up to the cats to sort everything out and this will take as much time as it needs. Remember the hissing and other behaviour is normal, and it sounds like they are getting there now. I have integrated cats many times and it is never a fast process, but I have been doing this for years, have 5 indoor cats, some of which were introduced as adults to other adults - and I have got there every time in the end!
35.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear this most recent update - it sounds like things are actually going really well, and from what I know of cat behavior, everything sounds normal and exactly as it should. I''m so glad that Ezra is integrating into your household in the way you''d hoped
1.gif

As for BF''s allergies, my DH and I are actually both allergic (we have three cats, and I also have asthma...). We''ve found that sometimes medication is the best solution - I take Zyrtec and Benadryl at night since the kitties sleep with us. My DH use to take meds, then, after about 6 months with the kitties, he found he didn''t really need them anymore and hasn''t taken them since.

The cleaning regularly definitely helps, but medication can be a good solution too - most allergy meds are pretty inocuous in terms of side effects, etc... for most people, so just an additional thing to consider.

Can''t wait to hear more updates as things progress, but it sounds like they are going wonderfully so far
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results