shape
carat
color
clarity

My new diamond pendant is having problems!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
I have a new pendant which is very pretty, but it keeps flipping up on my neck. It is in a stationary setting and the diamond is in a basket setting. Any thoughts? I have already had the "O" rings moved up on the basket, but that did not cure the problem. This is a platinum chain so I hate to ditch it, but I guess I will if you all think I need to " start over".

2006 (Changed).jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Your pendant is very nice.

I know there are other posters who have pendants very much like yours, maybe they can help you. I think Kaleigh has one.

I have always wanted a stone set like yours. A jeweler told me he would not set it like yours because it would flip. Some of the PS posters here have no problems with theirs though. Ill be following this, I want to see how you solve this problem.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I had this problem with a bezel set solitaire. The answer was to put it on a longer chain. It sorted the problem for me. However, yours is a platinum chain....and I wouldn''t want to ditch it either! You don''t want the chain too long, otherwise it won''t be in a position where it is visible.

I wonder if a jeweller could lenghten it slightly for you? I can''t really tell what kind of a link it is from the picture?

Blod
35.gif

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ann for the compliment. I agree there are many folks here with this type setting. I am wondering if it is the basket or the length of the chain and where it is sitting on my neck. It is 16 inches. Does anybody have a pic showing their 3 prong setting side view so I can see the physics of how it lays on the skin? The other thing I forgot to mention before is I am a little concerned about the chain breaking. It is insured, but what are the chances? I would just die if I lost it.
7.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Blod == the reason why it''s flipping is because where it is sitting on your neck. It is exactly where your neck muscles flex so whenever you move it will flip. I tried a pendant on a 16 inch chain at the jeweler the other day and it flipped too. I tried on the 18 inch and it didn''t flip at all. Instead of just starting over, I would ask the jeweler if they can add a couple of jump rings in order to lengthen the chain to 18 inches.

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Hey blod,
I don''t know the chain style, but I too was thinking about putting an extender just to lengthen it to 17 inches. I have shoulder length hair so an extender wouldn''t be seen. That could be the answer. Now, I need to get over the obsessed feeling that the chain is going to break.
28.gif

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Hey Pebbles,
Put the jump rings where?
33.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
What beautiful pendant! I would recommend adding two inches of "O" rings to make the chain 18". That way, you''ll have the flexibility of shortening it to 17" or whatever depending on the neckline of the shirt you are wearing. You want that puppy to show!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 10:09:54 AM
Author: DIAMOND*QUEST
Hey Pebbles,
Put the jump rings where?
33.gif
Add the jump rings to the back of the chain. That way, you can put the clasp through any ring.

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
OK, now I get it. Put the O rings at the clasp. No, I''m not blonde, just haven''t had enough expresso this morning.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garry also posted something way back when about flipping pendants and how to stop that...it has something to do with the setting and where the O rings are placed and also something about the ratio of the top to bottom heaviness aka it flips because it''s not stable or something like that. I think he alluded to the skill of the setter or something like that. aka maybe not just anyone can do it the right way.

Anyway I had GOG set my Regent in a 4 basket and it rarely flips, I adore it. I want to get a round pendant this year and I want it set either exactly like that or a 3 prong setting.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Mine does not flip and the setting looks very similair to yours...

klspendentkvs1.jpg

I would ask the jeweler who made it for you. Link to my 4prong basket pendent. It looks to me like ours hit in mostly the same place when they are on.
wfkpendentonklsclose.JPG

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Just got back from my jewelers. Problems solved. Camera batteries died so pics in about an hour after I recharge.
36.gif
Thanks for all the advice.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What did they do to make it perfect?

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mat- I changed the setting. Part of my problem also was the phobia that my chain would break. Don't ask me why, I just felt uncomfortable. I had it set in a "barrel" type setting that is not stationary. It actually makes the 1.52 diamond appear even bigger which is an added bonus.They gave me a new chain. My B&M is so awesome!!! www.tarafinejewelry.com. Oh, and how about those Horns last night?

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Ok, here it is. Tell me your thoughts.

2006_0105Image0009 (Changed).jpg

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Another similar shot.

2006_0105Image0007 (Changed).jpg

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I like it. It definately looks secure and it shouldn''t flip by any chance. I saw one similar to that at my local jeweler''s, except the top part was a bit taller and more narrow. I remember thinking how secure it looked. I think it makes your stone look very large!!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot, what are the specs of your diamond? It''s beautiful!

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Hi Diamondsrock,
It is a GIA J/VS1. The other specs I don''t know as I have my report and appraisal in the safety deposit box. I think the stone is a little deep, but is great for a pendant. Thank you for the compliment. It is really pretty "in person".

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It looks great!
36.gif

I''m glad that they could change it for you so quickly.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fan at all of the new setting as I don''t like how it''s so prominent, but it''s a personal thing I think and if it feels more safe and won''t flip, then that''s perfect! I love the stone!

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mara for your honest opinion. I absolutely adore it. Maybe tomorrow I will get my hubby to take some neck shots.
emsmilep.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara''s does not tip because it is a trace link chain - you nedd a chain that does not rotate if you twist one part of it - so that means curb or trace.
Sorry - ditch the chain.

The length is not a problem.

Also with a trace link you can ditch one of the ugly links joininh chain to setting.
Best to have the links redone in rabbit ear orientation - not in 2 eyes starrring at you orientation

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
What lovely stone! It''s so important that you are comfortable with your jewelry, so I''m glad you like your new setting. It''s beautiful!

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2006 11:56:31 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
On second thoughts - put it on a 24 inch chian and send me a picture nestling nicely
29.gif
30.gif
29.gif
That would be a little long for me! LOL. Ease up on the
emcocktl.gif
Garry.

DIAMOND*QUEST

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/6/2006 12:51:47 AM
Author: Jelly
What lovely stone! It''s so important that you are comfortable with your jewelry, so I''m glad you like your new setting. It''s beautiful!
Thanks Jelly for the compliment. I love your miniature schnauzer avatar. I have two minis. They are awesome pups.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
So glad that you solved your flipping pendant problem Diamond Quest! It looks gorgeous in the new setting!!! I have a bezel set diamond solitaire pendant that was set in the middle of a thick omega chain and it drove me crazy because the diamond was always moving to the side. I had it reset on much thinner wire-like omega chain that runs through a barrel much like yours. I''ve had no problems with flipping and I like the look.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results