shape
carat
color
clarity

My Last Stone for 2009 - Setting Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I have never seen a Spess with that shade of red!!!

Beautiful!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 9:55:34 PM
Author: platinumrock

Beautiful!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Thank you, Platinumrock!

trishy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 2:50:04 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
This is all sorts of out of proportion, but just focus on the baguettes here -- very thin and slender.
OH YUMMMMM... I LOVE THAT SLIM SLIM BAGUETTE AND THE TEENSY TINY MELEE HALO.... YUM that'll look so HOTTTT with that spess!!
30.gif

will you add the mini halo too? i cant wait to see this!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I am not mistaken, Stuller has 3x6 mm pairs too in coloured stones.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous stones! Can''t wait to see them set.
36.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Great setting idea fiery!
36.gif
Your stones are gorgeous!
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice stone! As for the setting, I'd suggest that you pay particular attention to proportions and ratios, because you're after a very simple design and those tend to draw more attention to potential mistakes made during the design process (less decorations to distract the eye...). Your ring size is also an important factor here, cause it'll determine how long the band will stretch on each side. Width of the band will also play a role. For instance, in the photo you posted, I'm not crazy about the width of the band, IMO it should've been a little wider for that particular ring size; reason - there's a much larger difference between the center and sides when compared to that between sides and the band so it somehow doesen't look right to me.

P. S. Stonie, thnx for the compliment
2.gif

EDIT: Here's the LINK to where you can see LTP's madeira citrine ring; I thought you might find it useful although I'm sure yours will look quite different mainly because of proportions.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Trishy -- Thanks! No, not planning on the mini halo . . . just the thin baguettes - melee makes me sort of nervous. lol

Chrono -- I think I''ve made my mission more complicated . . . after many painstaking minutes of cutting out miniscule pieces of paper, I''ve found that I need a 2x7 baguette. I haven''t been able to find any 2x7 baguettes so far . . . some laughable pics will follow.

Freefly and Brandy -- Thank you!

Ma Re -- Thank you, you are always so helpful.
1.gif
I''ve spent most of the morning cutting out different dimensions and finally came up with the ratio that I like -- 2x7. It''s sort of funny -- for the ring (I think we''re thinking of the same one -- the diamond three stone, and not the LM?) you mention, I thought the band was too thick!

Ok everyone, prepare to laugh, here''s my very sad paper model!

Yes, despite my best efforts, the right is all wonky . . . focus on the left "sidestone". 2x7 sides, 2mm band. What do you think?

FPP-Spess Model.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think that was very, very smart of you! And I think the proportions look great!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size you’ve selected looks great with the stone...however, I see custom cutting is most likely required.
39.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Geckodani!

Chrono, it did occur to me after I posted, that maybe I''m doing the wrong thing. On the one hand, one mm between a custom cut requirement and being able to buy stock seems a little ridiculous, even to my anal-retentive self. BUT, also, I''m wondering about a baguette --

I always like baguette eternity bands when I see them online (LM has one that immediately comes to mind), but when I''ve tried them in stores they aren''t that exciting. They come off pretty dull especially in a small size like this would be. I''m starting to wonder if I should instead go with some v.closely set princess melee in a line that would fulfill 2x7 on each side.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cut will be very sparkly; they may outsparkle the emerald cut spess.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I love the colour.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I love that little Ava! She looks like a PIP!

She needs a nice gemstone collar, most all gemstones would look wonderful on her! Maybe a tiara too?

I think amethyst would suit Ava! WOOF!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been loving the straight baguette look myself lately, too! I wonder how difficult they are to locate (if you''re not Leon Mege haha).

Any idea on who will do the setting, fiery?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VERY pretty! I like the asher cut one the best (I get weak in the knees from that cut).

I know what you mean about gem overload. We can go to the mailbox when the mail lady is there and she will say "no packages today". I am sure the neighbors think I am dealing something with all these large padded envelopes and packages...

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:23:09 PM
Author: Chrono
Princess cut will be very sparkly; they may outsparkle the emerald cut spess.

Hmm, it did concern me a little when I first read it, but I pulled out my "big fun" ring and measured the rounds, and these are just a tad smaller than 2mm apiece, and overall they are not blinding. I think if I went this small it might not be a bad balance.

I''m adding this to the pile I''m taking my jeweler at "home" when I go for our Christmas visit. I was about to contact one of my favorite cutters to see if he''d have anything that would work, or if he''d even want to cut a pair so teensy, but then reminded myself that it would probably be more wise to talk to the jeweler and see what my setting options were first, and work from there. Ha - I bet this jeweler will be THRILLED when I walk through his door!
3.gif

FPP-PraseoliteDetail.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
OddOneOut -- Thank you, me too!

Icekid -- Haha, definitely not LM after all the reading I''ve done here about his "manners" (or lack thereof) with customers! Chrono did point out some through Stuller that were almost the exact size -- I''ll see what my jeweler says and report back here of course!

TropicGal -- Thanks! Oh yes, I get perfectly lost in a good asscher! I admit I lie in wait for the mail woman -- when I am expecting a gem, I am practically perched by the door ready to leap out if she should turn off her mail truck . . . I feel like a total weirdo and am GLAD that most people are at work to NOT witness me zoom out to meet her with glee. So uncool. PS Addicts, we are a rare specimen.
2.gif

Stonie -- Haha, I will pass on your compliment to her! She does need some gems, doesn''t she? I tried to convince the husband that she could use a lovely sparkly, but he was NOT having it! Although . . . we did get her to wear her Doggles (sorry all, deviating from gem pictures for a sec!), so perhaps there is hope for a tiara in future . . .

FPP-AvaDoggles.jpg

medwin20

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 9:55:34 PM
Author: platinumrock

Beautiful!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Hi PR, well its really surprising to hear that you haven''t seen any Spess with that shade of red !!!.
I would like to know if you have seen any Rhodochrosites. They usually occur in cabochon form with pinkish color. Faceted its very difficult, and i got a sweet collection of bright red faceted rhodochrosites. will upload them soon as soon as i take pictures.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Fiery! I''m late to this thread sowweeeee!

Love your paper model but, speaking from experience, unless you go with calibrated sizes you''re going to have a problem (a) finding the baguettes and (b) getting a ready made setting. So you''d probably have to go bespoke.

I love your idea of using princess cuts in a row instead of baguettes but since you''re probably looking at 2x2mm princesses it will mean maximum height will be 6 or 8mm rather than the 7mm you want. In all honesty, the extra sparkle will probably make up for the lack of height so taking it to 6mm would look lovely I think.

Can''t wait to see the finished result!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Maybe french cut squares (carre) would be easier to source, especially since we''re looking for small stones here. They could even be combined with baguettes to make a better fit to some desired proportions.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the pic of Ava in her happenin'' Doggles!

I have Doggles also for my two Westies. They hate them but I think they give them eye protection from the Arizona sun. When we get in the pool, the Doggles are the first thing ''to go.''

We should get out the old glue gun and get some crystals on those Doggles! Blingtastic!
36.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 7:07:02 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Hi Fiery! I''m late to this thread sowweeeee!

Love your paper model but, speaking from experience, unless you go with calibrated sizes you''re going to have a problem (a) finding the baguettes and (b) getting a ready made setting. So you''d probably have to go bespoke.

I love your idea of using princess cuts in a row instead of baguettes but since you''re probably looking at 2x2mm princesses it will mean maximum height will be 6 or 8mm rather than the 7mm you want. In all honesty, the extra sparkle will probably make up for the lack of height so taking it to 6mm would look lovely I think.

Can''t wait to see the finished result!

Ah, yes, you''re right -- I didn''t think about the square measurement limiting me to even number measurements if I stuck with 2 -- it was a ditz day! The more I think about it, even with my persnickety-ness, I cut out a 6x10 instead of a strict 6x9.6 . . so 6mm lengths on the sides would probably have nearly the same effect as 7 with the 10.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Ma Re - How do you pronounce "carre"? Is it "car", "care-ay", or "carry"? I''ve seen it mentioned a few times but don''t want to go in asking about it misprounced.
6.gif

Stonie -- Couldn''t you see us commissioning a Whiteflash doggle creation? Pave'' and all!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2009 3:12:06 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
Ma Re - How do you pronounce 'carre'? Is it 'car', 'care-ay', or 'carry'? I've seen it mentioned a few times but don't want to go in asking about it misprounced.
6.gif

Stonie -- Couldn't you see us commissioning a Whiteflash doggle creation? Pave' and all!
I hope you don't mind me replying? It's French and pronounced "car-ray" The e at the end has an accent on it. However carre cuts are extremely difficult to source - much more so than princess cuts.

I bought a carre cut ring on Ebay (luckily they turned out to be diamonds) and I've put them on either side of my Chameleon diamond. However, they give a muted look and I honestly think that princess cuts will give your stone a really gorgeous expensive look and would be my first choice to go with your stone as you'll get much more flash and fire. At the size you're looking at it won't overwhelm the central stone either.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Of course I don't mind you replying, LD!
1.gif
I addressed Ma Re b/c he was so helpful with the suggestion, but we all know it's a free for all about that sort of thing around here - LOL. Good info is good info!

I just didn't want to make the same mistake I made with spinel. I had never heard of spinel before getting involved with PS, and I'd still never heard it pronounced before walking into a jeweler's who just happened to have some. I pronounced it as "spy-nehl" (like spinel cord) and was quickly made to feel like an utterly uneducated buffoon by the person at the counter. Now I'm paranoid! And it STILL feels really bizarre to pronounce it the way it's supposed to be.

You've been really helpful, LD -- I'll ask one more question. Anyone can answer though. For princess cut 2x2mm's, what should I expect to pay for a normal melee type grade? Want to know what to expect AND to know if my jeweler is overcharging.
1.gif

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Next time you visit a jeweler take Ava with you, anyone rude enough to correct you gets THE CHOPPERS! Or at least a whiz on a display case corner!!!

Maybe we could loan Ava to Boom for a little renegotiation with Leon. Is that LEE-on? Lay-ON? LOL!!! The French pronounciation? Or just Brooklyn?!?!?!

Jewelers who when asked what kind of garnet say "The red kind." That did happen to me at a fancy jewelers! I cracked up.

I think a line of canine gemstone items would sell quite well. Ava and my Westies can sell the heck out of them!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
LOL - Stonie, you''re a hoot!

I don''t have the first clue how to pronounce Leon''s LAST name, myself . . .

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Sigh. It looks like I lied . . . *grimace*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results