shape
carat
color
clarity

My Last Stone for 2009 - Setting Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Whew, last week was full of gems!

When I received the Dan Stair baby spess asscher on Monday, I turned around and told him I was meant to have his emerald-cut spess too . . . and it arrived on Friday.

The day before, the whopper amethyst I''d asked Peter Torraca to cut for me showed up . . . it was a fantastic week for my mailwoman, with all those signatures required! Poor woman -- she was so used to having to come to the door with a box, she got out of the mailtruck and all the way up to my door on Saturday with a box too, before realizing it was for another address! That was my sign . . . Gem Overload, I am done for the year.

Dan had warned me that the emerald cut was a little darker than the asscher, and had also mentioned that it would probably be difficult b/c it wasn''t a nice convenient standard size at 6x9.6. So, I''ll post a few pics of the stone, then we''ll get down to hammering out what I''d like to do with it.

I do have a solid idea of what I want to do -- I need some help in the implementation b/c I must be having one of my most braindead days ever. But we''ll get to that in a few posts.
2.gif

FPP-DSEmSpess1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Goodness, I can''t get over how much I love this color. This is perfectly what I wanted, again. Love this deep reddish orange.

No hand-shading here, just near a window with no direct sun.

FPP-DSEmSpess2.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Obviously hand-shading it here though.
3.gif

FPP-DSEmSpess3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since this one is going to be a toughie, I’d suggest waiting until you receive the new EC spessartite to save yourself some grief. You may find that it might be too dark, as Dan has advised.

ETA
Oh, I see that you have received the stone. It sure has some serious finger coverage. What do you think of yellow gold? Not a fan of it?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Another hand-shading, but I like this one because you only need to imagine how each of these facets/lines has the ability to shoot out the knife-edge fire . . . it''s brilliant!

FPP-DSEmSpess4.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Last gem pic . . . for finger size reference.

FPP-DSEmSpess5.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Now, for the setting.

I have debated pendant vs ring, but ring always wins out for me b/c it''s the best way for me to actually get to enjoy the stone. So, ring it is!

What I want to do, is encourage the long slender line of the spess, by adding one thin and slender baguette along side of it.

The general proportions of this ring (sorry - it''s been in my idea folder for a while and I don''t know the maker), but with baguette sides that are a tad bit thinner.

emerald cut three stone.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
This is all sorts of out of proportion, but just focus on the baguettes here -- very thin and slender.

fpp-lmcabwithbagsides.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love your idea Fiery about the thin bauguette on the sides
30.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Basically, I am opening the gates as to suggestions:

1. Has anyone seen a setting that accommodates a 6x10?

2. Is it possible to search for and buy baguette pairs of this tiny size from one of our PS vendors?

3. Wondering if a tiny baguette pair is something I could/should ask one of our favorite cutters to cut . . . but then, what material besides diamonds would go well with a darker spess like this? I''m fixated on diamond (or, what, white sapphire? what else is there that is similar in look to diamond without going too dull?) because this isn''t going to be one of my "fun frivolous" rings, but I''d like it to look . . . more refined, classic.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 2:39:41 PM
Author: Chrono
Since this one is going to be a toughie, I’d suggest waiting until you receive the new EC spessartite to save yourself some grief. You may find that it might be too dark, as Dan has advised.

ETA

Oh, I see that you have received the stone. It sure has some serious finger coverage. What do you think of yellow gold? Not a fan of it?

I''m having a little trouble seeing yellow gold with it. Sort of stuck on white gold for this one.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 2:54:41 PM
Author: D&T
love your idea Fiery about the thin bauguette on the sides
30.gif

Thanks, D&T!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fiery,
I’ve been shopping for long skinny baguettes too; I was looking for something around 3x5 mm but in hot pink, much like the design you showed where there’s 2 skinny baguettes flanking a center stone set North/South. I think it is a very elegant look. If you are looking for diamond baguettes, they aren’t too difficult to find. I’m not sure if Stuller has any white sapphires. I know that one can order certain sizes of different cuts of coloured gemstones from Stuller.

ETA
My concern with having a white metal and white sidestones is the extreme contrast of dark and light. The diamonds or white sides might overshadow the spess, bringing out any brown undertone the stone has.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love the thin baguette idea, is there in anyway you can try to match the spess with different colour thin baguettes? I''m not sure if they''ll be readily available. I have a feeling yellow gold will look good with your spess.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the thin baguettes as well, and ditto chrono''s concerns with the white metal. I''d go with yellow gold myself (yellow gold and garnets are a classic combo!)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
18.gif
YUMMY!!!
36.gif

You''d do well to probably go with yellow gold unless the setting is minimal. You may consider just making the head yellow the rest white. that seems to do well with these color stones.

I think it depends on what you really want fiery. I like the throught of baguetts on the sides.

-A

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your idea for long thin baguettes, and I think the colour of that garnet is really pretty. For some reason, I have that exact picture saved, too, so I must like your style.
9.gif
2.gif

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, ok, you guys win.
11.gif

Yellow gold it is.

fpp-ygspess2.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Couldn''t resist bringing the baby asscher into the mix, too. LOL

fpp-ygspess1.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Last pic from my impromptu session. Today is all gray and cloudy and no good, so here was my attempt under some bathroom halogens. Eh.

It''s funny -- I really up to this point have tried my best to steer clear of yellow gold, but I apparently keep buying gems that demand it!

fpp-ygspess3.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 4:12:08 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I love your idea for long thin baguettes, and I think the colour of that garnet is really pretty. For some reason, I have that exact picture saved, too, so I must like your style.
9.gif
2.gif

Haha, thanks LTP - I like your style too!
3.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That asscher is gorgeous too! Are you going to make a pendant with it?

Haha, if you REALLY dislike yellow gold, maybe do a bezel version of the ring, and just do the spess in yg and the rest in wg?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 5:15:28 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
That asscher is gorgeous too! Are you going to make a pendant with it?

Haha, if you REALLY dislike yellow gold, maybe do a bezel version of the ring, and just do the spess in yg and the rest in wg?

Thanks, MTG! No, I just like to complain (lol) . . . I see that yellow gold is going to suit it best, so that''s what I''ll do.

You know, I''ve been debating about the asscher as a pendant . . . especially once I picked up this emerald cut spess. I could see it, in a teeny tiny halo (I don''t know the diamond "points" jargon yet), as a pendant. Yet . . . I don''t know if I could bear not staring at it on my finger. Dilemma!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, let's address the baguettes.

Again, the spess is 6x9.6mm. I really am thinking tiny here . . . I haven't made a paper model yet, but am thinking . . . no wider than 2mm? And even that seems like it could overpower. Height of 5 or 6mm.

Is there a gem vendor/cutter that specializes in sidestone pairs? I will check on Stuller, thank you Chrono -- any others?

For the sake of keeping it in all the same thread, I'd like to ask here before I went to the Rocky Talky boards -- if a tiny 2x5mm or 2x6mm diamond baguette is a possibility:

1. What clarity/color do you need? I expect the miniscule size alters the normal "ideals" of diamond shopping -- what is the melee-variety standard?
2. How much in general would you expect to pay for the pair?

(ETA: Ok, I am seeing 2x5 and 2.5x5 as options in Stuller. Good.)

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Fiery, TO DIE FOR!! Just spectacular
36.gif
And you have such pretty hands with long slender fingers, you absolutely can handle that EC a ring. I love the side baguettes/skinny ones idea and while I think diamonds would be pretty, I have to say I think the right color would be a real door slammer of a ring. I wish I was better with color, I''m not too great but I know we have PS-ers here who are, Mr. Ma Re, for example just among many.

Can''t wait to see the finished product.

Now I wanna buy one more stone before the end of the year too!

Fiery, your avatar, is that your dog?

Scarabnight

Rough_Rock
Have you thought about a rose gold setting for it?

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 6:22:18 PM
Author: StonieGrl
Fiery, TO DIE FOR!! Just spectacular
36.gif
And you have such pretty hands with long slender fingers, you absolutely can handle that EC a ring. I love the side baguettes/skinny ones idea and while I think diamonds would be pretty, I have to say I think the right color would be a real door slammer of a ring. I wish I was better with color, I''m not too great but I know we have PS-ers here who are, Mr. Ma Re, for example just among many.

Can''t wait to see the finished product.

Now I wanna buy one more stone before the end of the year too!

Fiery, your avatar, is that your dog?

Haha -- StonieGrl, you just made my day with that compliment about my hands.
2.gif
Thanks!

Yes, that''s my little 4 pound tinytoy poodle, Ava. She''s six years old but she''s still my "baby". Hehe!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 6:23:30 PM
Author: Scarabnight
Have you thought about a rose gold setting for it?

Hmm, I''m doing rose gold for an amethyst, but I think this stone''s a little too red for rose . . . but thank you for chiming in!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I love the color of the spess and the yellow gold looks wonderful with it.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 6:49:47 PM
Author: mochi
I love the color of the spess and the yellow gold looks wonderful with it.

Thank you, Mochi!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results