shape
carat
color
clarity

My handmade velvet ring box and cushion halo earrings

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
GlamMosher|1433131294|3883540 said:
My kitty is a very naughty boy though with craft things! I used to make a lot of teddy bears (now just make the odd one for friends or family) but he goes crazy for the fur and the stuffing which is Australian wool. He steals it and hides. I have to keep it all locked in a cupboard until I need it.

I can just imagine what he'd get up to with lengths of velvet ribbon!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1433084445|3883273 said:
fussykiki|1433080235|3883252 said:
Great job everyone! I have been busy with other projects so I Took a break from the boxes. Here are sty I made if you are interested, a crochet bunny and a sleeping bag.

Fussykiki, both of these are beautifully done! :dance: The bunny is so cute. You are very talented, no wonder your boxes look so good lol.

Yanaazul, your box is perfect! Love how smooth the fabric is and how tight all the corners are. Looks great!

Just finished this, a few things are a bit off but overall I think this is the neatest one I've done so far. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how much velvet ribbon to measure out to wrap around the box. I think the velvet was too loose on this one and so the top is lopsided; too much material. I either measure the velvet so that it's so tight I can't get it around the box after I sew it, or it's too loose.

Beautiful Junebug17!!! Wow, what an amazing ring to show off!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
daintyG|1433030589|3883129 said:
June bug, your boxes look great!

I've made some more. They are still a little sloppy, but I'm working on that. I also have some pink fabric.

The blue fabric turned out best. I will probably look for more fabric of that quality in another color.

Nice job DaintyG! You have been busy!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
yanaazul|1433036641|3883152 said:
GlamMosher|1432377661|3880368 said:
fussykiki, I hope it's not pushing a "friendship" too far, but would you be able to post dimensions for a necklace/pendant case? I need 2 for gifts very soon, and cannot seem to get the brain to compute how to transfer this idea to a larger, rectangular shape.

I know this is too late for the gifts you were giving, but I decided to work this out... Now, the thing is, the box size is limited by the width of the ribbon, because the top of the box needs to be a seamless piece. So assuming most people are working with 1.5" ribbon (38mm), I came up with the below. If you are working with wider ribbon or bolt fabric, then you can go bigger.

Box top and bottom: 3.2mm x 5.2mm: max width is 3.2mm (to allow enough to wrap around the edge), and because I'm a nerd, I made the length the golden ratio *1.618 = 5.2mm.

Box bottom liner: total dimensions 8.6mm x 6.6mm; cut out 1.7mm squares from each corner

Box top liner: total dimensions 7.4mm x 5.4mm; cut out 1.1mm squares from each corner

Box bottom outer: total dimensions 18.4mm x 1.4mm; sections 3.6mm, 5.6mm, 3.6mm, 5.6mm

Box top outer: total dimensions 18.4mm x 1.7mm; sections 3.6mm, 5.6mm, 3.6mm, 5.6mm

Inner lid: 3.0mm x 5.0mm

And here we are! (In denim again, haha, still haven't gotten my velvet ribbon...) For reference, the pendant is 1" long.

Very cool yanaazul! Thanks for posting this "how to"! Another great denim box!!!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
fussykiki|1433080235|3883252 said:
Great job everyone! I have been busy with other projects so I Took a break from the boxes. Here are sth I made if you are interested, a crochet bunny and a sleeping bag.

Beautiful fussykiki!!!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
yanaazul said:
Wow, everyone's boxes look great! I just got back from a ten-day trip, so nothing new for me. While I was on my trip, I did sneak online for a bit and found velvet ribbon on etsy, including vintage ribbon. I bought some from these two vendors:

LesBonRibbon

ShyMyrtle

I also found this vendor but didn't order anything yet:

VelvetandMetal

Hopefully I'll get the ribbon this week and will have something to add to the thread!

Thanks for posting these links! I have checked them out and just might have to buy some.:)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, thanks kristie, calliecake, lovesvintage, and yanaazul - The uneven part (that is artfully hidden in the pic :cheeky: ) is bugging me but I'm leaving it alone.

Fussykiki, thanks for the nice words about my ring, if you click on my topics there is a thread on it with more pics. And I adore your double halo yellow diamond ring - seeing it makes me wish I had gotten one for my last bling purchase.

Glammosher, lol to naughty kitties! Here is a pic of Miss Zoe helping me. I don't know why I bought so much fabric :confused:

img_8150.jpg

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Here is a pic of Miss Zoe helping me. I don't know why I bought so much fabric :confused:

Why, to make her a posh kitty bed, of course! :lol: See how she's measuring it out for size?

Okay, I plead obsession! I'm waiting for the velvet ribbon I ordered, I've cut out the pieces for those boxes, ready to go... And I was itching to make something. So, I present to you: Miss Box!

Teeny tiny, as you can see from the cutting mat, not much more than an inch wide.

teenybox.jpg

teenybox2.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol yanaazul, I think you're right, she's trying it on for size lol!

And wow, your boxes look so good!! Everything fits together perfectly, they look so professional! You will sail through making the velvet versions, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Oh, forgot to mention this - just wanted to let you know I bought double sided tape in the scrapbook section of the craft store that has a backing on one side - so you can adhere the tape to the inside of the box before you put the velvet on, then you can slide it on without worrying about touching the tape. Once the velvet is on, you can just use a pin to lift off the backing, and then push down the material. Works well, the tape doesn't lose any stickiness from being touched. I was initially using regular double-sided tape and this tape works a lot better.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omgosh, your cat is SOOOO cute, Junebug! What a pretty gal, I love her coloring.

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
junebug17|1433257493|3884189 said:
Glammosher, lol to naughty kitties! Here is a pic of Miss Zoe helping me. I don't know why I bought so much fabric :confused:

Ha ha yes that looks familiar! I love the concentration on her face. Very cute grey tabby!

Here is my boy when I was trying to take a photo of a recent bear. He hotfooted down the stairs when he heard me.
p1050107.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1433268930|3884256 said:
Omgosh, your cat is SOOOO cute, Junebug! What a pretty gal, I love her coloring.

Thanks Laila! She showed up at my mother's doorstep and decided to stay! She lives at my mother's right now, but I think she will be living with me down the road.

It is so nice to see you posting, and to hear from you! I think of you often and hope you, your dh, and kiddos are doing well!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
yanaazul|1433258622|3884197 said:
Here is a pic of Miss Zoe helping me. I don't know why I bought so much fabric :confused:

Why, to make her a posh kitty bed, of course! :lol: See how she's measuring it out for size?

Okay, I plead obsession! I'm waiting for the velvet ribbon I ordered, I've cut out the pieces for those boxes, ready to go... And I was itching to make something. So, I present to you: Miss Box!

Teeny tiny, as you can see from the cutting mat, not much more than an inch wide.

Wow!!!! Two perfect boxes you have here! I can't wait for your velvet version!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GlamMosher|1433290716|3884375 said:
junebug17|1433257493|3884189 said:

Ha ha yes that looks familiar! I love the concentration on her face. Very cute grey tabby!

Here is my boy when I was trying to take a photo of a recent bear. He hotfooted down the stairs when he heard me.
p1050107.jpg

GlamMosher, that is too funny! :D Wow, he really does like those bears! What a beautiful kitty :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1433291668|3884382 said:
Laila619|1433268930|3884256 said:

Thanks Laila! She showed up at my mother's doorstep and decided to stay! She lives at my mother's right now, but I think she will be living with me down the road.

It is so nice to see you posting, and to hear from you! I think of you often and hope you, your dh, and kiddos are doing well!

Aw, thanks Junie!! I've been lurking, but I always enjoy reading your posts and pics. :)

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Hey all! My velvet ribbon came in the mail -- just in time for me to go on a business trip. Back now and finally got to make a velvet box!

junebug17 said:
Oh, forgot to mention this - just wanted to let you know I bought double sided tape in the scrapbook section of the craft store that has a backing on one side - so you can adhere the tape to the inside of the box before you put the velvet on, then you can slide it on without worrying about touching the tape. Once the velvet is on, you can just use a pin to lift off the backing, and then push down the material. Works well, the tape doesn't lose any stickiness from being touched. I was initially using regular double-sided tape and this tape works a lot better.

...I'm embarrassed to admit that I already am using the type with a backing. Why it never occurred to me to leave it on... you're right, that was much easier.

Here's my first velvet version! It's so much fluffier -- the velvet box is noticeably "bigger" than the denim one, even though the measurements of the actual cardboard are the same. (The denim is not the heaviest weight, but it's not chambray light, either.)

I have a cobalt blue ribbon to make my next box...

yanaazulvelvet.jpg

yanaazulvelvet2.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yanaazul, your box is fantastic, it looks perfect! If I didn't know better I would think it was an original Mrs. Box! Bravo, very well done :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yanaazul|1433727011|3886398 said:
Hey all! My velvet ribbon came in the mail -- just in time for me to go on a business trip. Back now and finally got to make a velvet box!

junebug17 said:

...I'm embarrassed to admit that I already am using the type with a backing. Why it never occurred to me to leave it on... you're right, that was much easier.

Here's my first velvet version! It's so much fluffier -- the velvet box is noticeably "bigger" than the denim one, even though the measurements of the actual cardboard are the same. (The denim is not the heaviest weight, but it's not chambray light, either.)

I have a cobalt blue ribbon to make my next box...

I'm so jealous. I tried really hard and failed lol. I'll see if my crafty mom and I together can do better

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Thanks junebug! Aww, Niel, hopefully your mom can help you!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel, definitely get your mother to work on it with you, two heads are better than one as the saying goes! :cheeky: Honestly, I find these boxes kind of hard to make and I have made lots of mistakes, so don't be tough on yourself. Mine look better in the pics than in IRL and there is something wrong with all of them lol.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I'm so excited to see that you posted this, fussykiki! I've looked at the Mrs. Boxes before, but the colors I like are always sold out (or all of them are always sold out, plus $75 is kind of a lot for a... box--I could spend that money on jewelry! :lol:). I'm going to attempt one of these and will try to remember to post a photo when done.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a green one I did recently -

img_8251.jpg

img_8252.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job, junebug! I'd say you've got them down perfectly now.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gosh!! Junebug and yanaazul, yours are gorgeous!! :love: Sorry if I missed it, but are either of you making them for resale yet?? :naughty: :naughty:

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
yanaazul, I especially love the double slit one you made!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junie, its fantastic, you're on a tiny velvet roll now :appl: :dance:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Fanastic ring boxes, a lot of crafty ladies on PS.

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
That looks great, junebug! And I love the contrast of the lighter green grosgrain ribbon.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great job this is a very sweet box.
The earrings are pretty spiffy as well.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I'm working on a coral one now, I think my favorite part is buying different colors of velvet ribbon.

Yanaazul, yeah, sometimes I have to resort to a different color for the ribbon, I can't always find a matching color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results