shape
carat
color
clarity

My first cut stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
My first cut stone..just finished it today..it''s called an easy 8(jeff graham)..a piece of brazilian amethyst rough finsih weight 2.10ct. onto the next stone..a cushion..should be a step up in difficulty..cutting is not as hard as it looks or I thought..whats hard is perfecting it..trying to get everthing to line up perfectly and meet perfectly..well, i guess it gets easier with time and more experience..thanks for looking

cut stone 1.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
neat!!! can''t wait to see what else you got coming up.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Very well done Amguy! Is this the debut for a long and distinguished career?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you go "Mr. Man in a Purple Cape."
superheroflying.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Nice job, ag! Gem cutting sounds so addictive
9.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Great. Congrats to you. Very nice.

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

A PS toast to Amethystguy on his first stone !!!

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
After our recent experiences/adventures we will not be far behind you with our first one! lol

kitoto

Rough_Rock
loved it!
30.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That looks awsome! I really love the facets.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
So pretty. Congrats on your first stone, Amguy! How fitting that it is an amethyst.
36.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice stone.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very cool...I am guessing this is the first of many?

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Superb results on your first stone!!! Since you did so well on this, soon you will find it very easy to make everything line up and meet perfectly.This is an extremely important skill for you to develop!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys, i appreciate all the kind words and compliments.
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
amguy!!!

Pretty
5.gif
Can you cut me a stone?
25.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 11:53:21 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Great therapy, stone cutting. Either puts you in a Zen state of mind, or drives you crazy.
Bit like weeding then?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Very well done!
36.gif
36.gif

[raising glass] To many many more!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that looks awesome! So can we get cut stones at a reduced price from you then?
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long did it take you to do each section? Preform, dop, faceting, polishing, etc? I’ll say it looks very good for a first timer; I’m sure mine will look much worse. So….what’s your plan for all these practice stones?
31.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Congrats-looks like a great job!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Looks very nice!!!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys for all the great compliments..it is very calming..so far..lol..i bet it gets real frustrating when you are cutting a good stone like a tsav or a spess and things don''t want to go your way and you are trying real hard to get it right becasue the rough cost you a pretty penny..takes patience and restraint which are the first things I noticed...first stone took like 16 hours total..like 2-3 hours increments..everybody tells me it goes faster and faster with each stone..one thing I noticed was the cut(the easy 8 by jeff graham) really lightened the stone..it was much more purple in the rough..i guess certain cuts are better for certain colored and saturated stones...Last night I started cutting a facetgrade white moonstone..It''s a nice chunky piece so i figured it would be another easy piece to cut+ i wanted to see what a faceted white moonstone looks like..here is the rough

moon1.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
with the sun in front

moon2.jpg

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
It''s great that you are sharing and documenting your learning experience with us. I appreciate it and hope to learn more. I wonder how many of us will become G.G.s, jewelers, designers or cutters based on the love that we develop for stones from this board. Maybe we can start an accredited Pricescope institute. LOL.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am Guy,
Perhaps because the easy 8 pattern has larger table facets, the play of light becomes very different, allowing more light to go straight through giving the appearance of the tone and saturation getting lighter? Maybe a busier cut like a portugese will help it hold the deepness of colour?

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Seems like a few of us are venturing down this specific learning path at the same time. We should keep this thread active and post our progress. My first stone was HILARIOUS!! It looks like an octogonal cotton ball - compared to the ones that followed. At the time, of course, I was absolutely astounded with my resulting stone and was ready to frame it and show it to everyone, everywhere! And then came the second, and third, and fourth stone - which amazingly, all look better than the one right before it.

I have recently cut a lovely light blue topax and a gorgeous golden citrine. I''m currently cutting a Rose de France in my first mixed cut pattern - challenging, but they all are. I still find that polishing is the most difficult part. Meet points were extremely challenging at first, but then I learned about that one little knob on the side... ahh how I love my cheater when it''s needed :)

Best of luck to everyone learning to cut!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing Amethystguy! I think you did a great job on your first stone!
36.gif
I hope to see more!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a really nice cut stone!
emthup.gif

-A

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE faceted white moonstone, can''t wait to see how it turns out. And kudos to you for doing something that you love. Thanks for sharing your experiences with cutting stones. :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results