shape
carat
color
clarity

my first ammy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! Thank you very much!
Also understood about the garnet. Won''t tension setting damage a softer stone, though?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also use a pseudo tension setting where there is a connecting bridge underneath so the 2 sides will not be exerting true pressure onto the stone. My Jeff White pink spinel asscher ring has the appearance of a tension setting but it really isn''t. I''ll have to go dig out pictures if you''d like to see it but I''m sure they are here and there on PS.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone! I can't wait to see it set, I like your idea for a pendant--it'll look amazing in yellow gold :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I have another idea, and I think you''d like it cause you''re into unusual and somewhat unique designs. The CAD shown a few posts above is in some regard similar to my idea, but not too much. Here''s what I''m thinking.

If you do want a bezel, the one with an open pavillion looks to be the way to go. It will help your stone in terms of color, but you have to keep it from poking you. However building a basket (or a "cup" as some call it) is not your only option. Of course, you need something that will hold the bezel in which your stone is set above the skin, and I think that can be done by several bars that would stretch from the perimeter (outer edge) of the pendant right to the bezel. In other words those bars would look something like torches held by athletes at the lighting of the Olympic fire - several straight lines pointing towards the center. I don''t know what structural limitations this design would face as I''m not experienced when it comes to jewellery making, but it certainly sounds doable. Making these bars in a different color of metal might be visually interesting, for instance having them in rose gold could look like there are several rays of light coming out of the amethyst.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ma Re,

Are you offering a new pendant? Not using this one? If it is so, can you post an approximate picture? I think I understand what you mean - it is like a wheel with spikes, and the stone is in the center, is this what you mean?
I just want to use this gold stuff because I know I am not going to wear it alone. But if they make an new inexpensive pendant, it may work. Can you post a sketch?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I think I understood. There is a bezel holding the stone above the opening of the pendant and bars attaching it to the pendant. Two things, though - are they stretching from the outer edge of the pendant or the inner end? If it is the outer egde, it may distract from the beauty of the pendant.
The inner edge might work though.

Unless they are ON the pendant? Just "lying" (soldered onto) it?

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
You''ve gotten yourself a SUPER-NICE JXR ammy there....I have seen it in person before and it is indeed a really, really good one...With Mr. Ellis cutting it, you be assured the cut is very precise...I have a few of his stones in my collection and soon to be adding a few more in just a couple of days....Couple that with the fact you got it straight from the guy who pulled it out of the ground, you now have a somewhat unusual touch with your gem...You know it''s history from the ground to your finished jewelry piece....Be careful, it''s an addictive feeling
26.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 9:04:41 PM
Author: Haywood74
You've gotten yourself a SUPER-NICE JXR ammy there....I have seen it in person before and it is indeed a really, really good one...With Mr. Ellis cutting it, you be assured the cut is very precise...I have a few of his stones in my collection and soon to be adding a few more in just a couple of days....Couple that with the fact you got it straight from the guy who pulled it out of the ground, you now have a somewhat unusual touch with your gem...You know it's history from the ground to your finished jewelry piece....Be careful, it's an addictive feeling
26.gif

Addictive? Well, Amethystguy is such a gem pusher... But since the prices for most street drugs have gotten down, can I get a discount on my next ammy? (LOL)

But honestly, this is my main request to stones - I want them unheated, untreated and unprocessed. Yes, from what I have heard, it has been peeled off the rock. And the cut is wonderful.

Actually, the cut is something I noticed first. It is not seen in my photofos (actually, in any photos), but there is "a droplet" under the surface, and it seems to move as you turn it. It is fascinating to watch it!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
That amethyst is beautiful, crasru, but what the heck are you holding it with in the first two pics??!! Looks like a fork and a ...?

Looking forward to seeing how the setting turns out.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2010 9:48:09 PM
Author: cellentani
That amethyst is beautiful, crasru, but what the heck are you holding it with in the first two pics??!! Looks like a fork and a ...?

Looking forward to seeing how the setting turns out.

Have you ever heard about "Gourmet Gemology?" It is in! (LOL).

Seriously, it is a surgical clamp - remember, before I became a shrink I had extensive training in internal medicine, surgery, what not. (Maybe I should become a gem CUTTER? Na-ah, I sucked at surgery). Actually, the clamp dates back to 1920-es. Very handy.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, so pretty!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 4:23:38 PM
Author: crasru
Oh, I think I understood. There is a bezel holding the stone above the opening of the pendant and bars attaching it to the pendant. Two things, though - are they stretching from the outer edge of the pendant or the inner end? If it is the outer egde, it may distract from the beauty of the pendant.

Unless they are ON the pendant? Just ''lying'' (soldered onto) it?
I was thinking from the outer edge, cause if they would be from the inner end it wouldn''t look much different compared to a traditional basket. I understand your concerns about it distracting from the pendant, but there doesen''t have to be a million of those bars all around, maybe just three or so could be enough (three could make it similar to a Mercedes Benz star
9.gif
).

No, I don''t mean that they are soldered onto the pendant, just that one of their ends is soldered onto the outer edge, and the other onto the bezel which holds the stone. And if you have the bezel sitting slightly above the level of the pendant, so that the pavillion doesen''t poke you, those bar also have to be set at a horizontal angle.

Sorry, no sketch, can''t draw to save my life...
1.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2010 3:32:52 AM
Author: ma re

I was thinking from the outer edge, cause if they would be from the inner end it wouldn''t look much different compared to a traditional basket. I understand your concerns about it distracting from the pendant, but there doesen''t have to be a million of those bars all around, maybe just three or so could be enough (three could make it similar to a Mercedes Benz star
9.gif
).

No, I don''t mean that they are soldered onto the pendant, just that one of their ends is soldered onto the outer edge, and the other onto the bezel which holds the stone. And if you have the bezel sitting slightly above the level of the pendant, so that the pavillion doesen''t poke you, those bar also have to be set at a horizontal angle.

1.gif
Ma Re,
You are VERY smart. And creative. And knowledgeable. I am far behind you in knowledge (didn''t you mention knowing five languages?). Some things need clarification to me.

The outer edge in not a perimeter, it is the outer circumference.

And what is a "horizontal angle"? A very low angle? Like 15-30 degrees?

I can not draw either so we are in the same boat. I am so bad at drawing I can not even understand how other people do it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 11:33:37 AM

Date: 3/3/2010 3:32:52 AM
Author: ma re

9.gif
).

1.gif
Ma Re,
You are VERY smart. And creative. And knowledgeable. I am far behind you in knowledge (didn''t you mention knowing five languages?). Some things need clarification to me.

The outer edge in not a perimeter, it is the outer circumference.

And what is a ''horizontal angle''? A very low angle? Like 15-30 degrees?

I can not draw either so we are in the same boat. I am so bad at drawing I can not even understand how other people do it.
Thank you for all the compliments, but five languages...you probably read that about someone else (in fact, I''m certain you did). I speak one foreign language fluently (English - well, without much trouble most of the time), and a few words here and there on two more (German and Spanish), but that''s about it.

Not sure what is it that you don''t understand, cause to me perimeter is the same thing as the outer circumference, but as I said sometimes I have tiny problems with my English so this might be one such case. All in all, I''m talking about soldering one end of each bar as far away from the center of the pendant as possible.

Horizontal angle - I think you got that right, but which angle precisely is in question here can only be determined by someone holding the stone and the pendant in his/her hands. It depends on the diameter of the pendant, as well as on the depth of the stone and the desired way to set it.

Glad to be of some help
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results