shape
carat
color
clarity

my first ammy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully, not the last one. I tend to give names of cutters I bought my stones from - Gene for a ruby, Gary for CC garnet...but then I end up with only male names (sorry, Jason!) so I shall call her Amy.

So...daylight

AMINTWIZ1.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is difficult to hold it straight...sorry

AMINTWIZ3.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all daylight
just different conditions

EATAMAM.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evening time

ammy123.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jason told me it was blue flash...I see a lot of red, too

ammy666.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a gold pendant which I bought at Costco at an unbelievable low price...bought, in fact, for the box chain

GOOLD111.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the ammy fits into the opening to a T. You have to lazer off the end of the opening but it is not such a hard job. Then the thickness is about 2 mm and I don''t know if it is easy to set it...what do you think?
It looks nice

AMINPEN1.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only reason it doesn''t sit snugly is because of this edge at the bottom which I think could be lazered off because in fact the enhancer is soldered to the pendant itself. What do you think? And what should bet the price of setting?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry something is happening to the uploading system. It distorts everything today. You can just look at my avatar to see. I tried to do everything by the book, but it ain''t going to happen I think. I made a couple of pics for the new avatar and they are exactly 80x80 or 90x90...let us see how it works. I can not do 100x100 because the system tells me it is too large!
Anyhow, thank you amethyst guy!

If anyone gives me a good advice, I still have the pictures + several that have not been edited. Colors get somewhat distorted, too but it is something I just have to accept I guess.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes, it flashes red and blue. And it behaves differently in all sorts of lighting. It blew me away the first time it was cleaned up off of the dop.

I like Amy. Good name.
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
Great amethyst and great Costco find!! I think you could set the stone in there. Check with a good benchperson.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone. I think it looks great in the setting you have.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone and the cutting will make it very lively. The setting is just perfect for the amethyst too!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Ooooo! She''s lovely!

A faceted ammy is next on my list!!!

Can you give us details? Where is Amy from? How big is she? How much does she weigh?
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
You have to buy from Lisa ASAP
9.gif

That stone is a real beauty and your setting plan sounds fantastic, really follows my personal preferences!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooooo I KNEW thats the one you got!
30.gif
The pendant idea would certainly be lovely! The only concern I have is the depth of the stone. Though not necessarily needed to create the pendant, it could be a bit scratchy on the skin without anything back there.

-A

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I''m actually not a fan of yellow gold for most stones, but amethyst is one of the few stones I really like in YG. I don''t think the pendant will work as a bezel because that''s not how it was designed, but I think if you had a jeweler add 4-6 prongs to the inner part, it will serve 2 purposes. One would be to allow the stone to be securely set, and the other would be to set it slightly above the golden rings so the culet doesn''t scratch your skin as much.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/1/2010 8:22:01 AM
Author: vc10um
Ooooo! She''s lovely!

Can you give us details? Where is Amy from? How big is she? How much does she weigh?
9.gif

Since I am 99.8% sure it is the one I know. I forget the diameter, but Amy is 7.9cts. It is Jackson Crossroads Amethyst (JXR). The cut is 161 facet round portuguese. I am almost certain that AmethystGuy found it. As far as I could tell (since I am not a GG), it is IF. I could not find a single flaw in it when I was finishing it (I use 2x reading glasses behind my DA10 Optivisor with the Optisor monicle ~ roughly 10x?). The original crystal was about pingpong to golf ball sized and had some cracks in it. It could have been about twice the volume, but it would have had a feather/crack in it, so I went with a smaller cut.

It is hard to photograph. The sunlight pictures come out abut right, but misses some of the fire it has. You can get blue and red flashes. In tungsten, it shows more blue with the flashes. I use it for my avatar in other site. My avatar is done with a Sony HD video camera''s chip, which favors red.

gsellisavatar.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2010 12:08:45 PM
Author: gsellis

Ooooo! She''s lovely!

9.gif

Since I am 99.8% sure it is the one I know. I forget the diameter, but Amy is 7.9cts. It is Jackson Crossroads Amethyst (JXR). The cut is 161 facet round portuguese. I am almost certain that AmethystGuy found it. As far as I could tell (since I am not a GG), it is IF. I could not find a single flaw in it when I was finishing it (I use 2x reading glasses behind my DA10 Optivisor with the Optisor monicle ~ roughly 10x?). The original crystal was about pingpong to golf ball sized and had some cracks in it. It could have been about twice the volume, but it would have had a feather/crack in it, so I went with a smaller cut.

It is hard to photograph. The sunlight pictures come out abut right, but misses some of the fire it has. You can get blue and red flashes. In tungsten, it shows more blue with the flashes. I use it for my avatar in other site. My avatar is done with a Sony HD video camera''s chip, which favors red.

Thanks so much!!!
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
W
30.gif
W that''s sooooooo pretty and I love your idea of setting it but please do check with a good benchman because I too have reservations how it will sit in the pendant. You may need to build a basket coming out the front of the hole to hold it in (sort of elevated over the pendant).

Amguy has done you proud! A baby like that, if it''s as gsellis described, is a great find. Internally flawless????? Yes indeedie, that''s one nice stone! Lucky you.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2010 12:08:45 PM
Author: gsellis

Ooooo! She's lovely!

9.gif

I am positive that it is. I am going to post vendor's pictures - just for fun because I am sure you made them.

It is hard to photograph. The sunlight pictures come out abut right, but misses some of the fire it has. You can get blue and red flashes. In tungsten, it shows more blue with the flashes. I use it for my avatar in other site. My avatar is done with a Sony HD video camera's chip, which favors red.

I am sure this is the one. I am going to post vendor's photograph - for fun.

amyjason1.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one must be yours

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry this one

jxr ammy 2 george123.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I know who you are. The cut is great. Yes, Jason told me he found it during one of his "hunting trips". I really liked the cut. We argued a little bit about "the flash" - Jason told me it was "blue flash" but I see a lot of red in it, too.
Another argument that Jason advised me to post here. I am under an impression that many amethysts are heated to stabilize the color. Jason says they can not be heated because they turn into citrines. I believe it depends on the heating temperature. Praseolith (green amethyst) can also be obtained with heating; everything must depend on heating conditions.
I read that amethysts are routinely not heated. At the same time, some websites specify that some of their ammys have been treated.

Anyone''s comments?

LD - re. this pendant. With the box chain the cost was 230 dollars, and it is Italian work. If the work doesn''t cost a lot, I''ll set it, if it does - leave as it is.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru - you''re confusing the heck out of me.

The photos you just posted are of YOUR amethyst from Amguy right? Trust what he''s told you about heating etc - he''s the Amethyst expert.

Also, your pendant - I think it will look great in there BUT it will poke out the back and will scratch you, be unprotected, will get dirty and will make the pendant roll. Hence why I think you need to build a basket for Amy on top of the pendant. That will also allow more light to get to the gem.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2010 4:39:06 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

The photos you just posted are of YOUR amethyst from Amguy right? Trust what he''s told you about heating etc - he''s the Amethyst expert.

Also, your pendant - I think it will look great in there BUT it will poke out the back and will scratch you, be unprotected, will get dirty and will make the pendant roll. Hence why I think you need to build a basket for Amy on top of the pendant. That will also allow more light to get to the gem.

Yeah, I am not surprised.

What do you mean by "a basket"? Cover the back of the stone? Or bezel the upper portion of it, around the crown? To me the top is the crown.

I agree with poking out the back. To me a basket is a basket setting but I guess I am wrong here.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/1/2010 4:15:26 PM
Author: crasru
Now I know who you are. The cut is great. Yes, Jason told me he found it during one of his ''hunting trips''. I really liked the cut. We argued a little bit about ''the flash'' - Jason told me it was ''blue flash'' but I see a lot of red in it, too.
Another argument that Jason advised me to post here. I am under an impression that many amethysts are heated to stabilize the color. Jason says they can not be heated because they turn into citrines. I believe it depends on the heating temperature. Praseolith (green amethyst) can also be obtained with heating; everything must depend on heating conditions.
I read that amethysts are routinely not heated. At the same time, some websites specify that some of their ammys have been treated.

Anyone''s comments?

LD - re. this pendant. With the box chain the cost was 230 dollars, and it is Italian work. If the work doesn''t cost a lot, I''ll set it, if it does - leave as it is.
I remember both blue and red flashes out of it. Others without won''t have the blue. I have heard that some Siberian and Korean will do the same thing, but have never seen it.

As far as heating, if it has iron, heating can yield Prasiolite ("greened" - also irradiating). Heating can yield citrine or even ametrine and that is supposed to be the natural process for those. Heating could also yield gray from what I understand. With JXR, I would be cautious about heating. Every single piece I have cut has feathers and cracks in it, and most strongly along the color zones that it tends to have.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2010 4:46:09 PM
Author: crasru

Date: 3/1/2010 4:39:06 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Yeah, I am not surprised.

What do you mean by ''a basket''? Cover the back of the stone? Or bezel the upper portion of it, around the crown? To me the top is the crown.

I agree with poking out the back. To me a basket is a basket setting but I guess I am wrong here.
A basket is like the head of a ring that holds the gemstone in place. So imagine a solitaire ring, you know the bit that holds the gemstone? Ok, that''s the basket. So you build one on top of the hole to put the gem in. That way, the point at the back of the gem won''t stick out the back.

DO NOT cover the back of the stone as this will block light and won''t deal with the issues I mentioned in my post above. I also would definitely NOT bezel this gemstone.

Imagine your pendant is lying flat on the table, this is what a basket would look like on top of the hole and holding the ammy - of course it would be prettier than this!!! You would need to build something around the hole to stop the gem falling through or you could tension set it within the basket suspending it over the hole which would look cool. (you then would have an open basket at both sides letting in the light). A tension setting is like the rings you were admiring from that recent design where two bits of metal are suspending a gem in mid air.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting the powerpoint drawing hasn''t attached! Trying again!

This is really annoying - it''s not working. Ok, this is what I''ve drawn

Ammy goes in the V bit below. The V bit is the basket (or could be the tension setting).

________\ /___________ imagine this is the base of the pendant

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tension setting. Imagine the bits holding your amethyst are on the edge of the hole raised up (say top and bottom or at either side, it doesn't matter).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results