shape
carat
color
clarity

My 5.5 carat D VVS1!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
if it''s an older ring it might be really deep. at 5.5c if it''s cut deeply then it could be losing as much as 1/2 a carat in the depth depending...the larger the stone the more depth that it can be hiding. so it might face up like a 5c. it looks plenty large to me!! i tried on a 5c on size 6 fingers and it had just a slightly smaller amount of coverage that yours does actually.

i know what you mean about maybe not wanting to wear it around daily at age 23, i''d probably feel the same way. and honestly, if i had a 5c with my lifestyle, as much as i adore large diamonds, i''d feel kind of like it didn''t ''fit'' with me. when i tried on the 5c i felt like i should be lounging in some park avenue penthouse or something with my fluffy white dog (i do have a fluffy white dog!!). while i would LOVE a 3.5c i don''t know that i''d go larger for ''daily wear'' with my lifestyle..but i''d sure love that 5.5c sitting in my jewelry box so i could wear it around the house heheee.

as for insurance, yes it will be expensive. i pay basically about $200 per $10k of insurance through chubb. imagine the stone appraises for like $100k (just totally estimating and it would probably be more since it''s a D VVS) then you would be paying like $2k a year in insurance! That adds up fast. So maybe it is better in the safe deposit box for now??

but what a fab gift, congrats and i love it.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 12:37:43 PM
Author: Mara
if it''s an older ring it might be really deep. at 5.5c if it''s cut deeply then it could be losing as much as 1/2 a carat in the depth depending...the larger the stone the more depth that it can be hiding. so it might face up like a 5c. it looks plenty large to me!! i tried on a 5c on size 6 fingers and it had just a slightly smaller amount of coverage that yours does actually.

i know what you mean about maybe not wanting to wear it around daily at age 23, i''d probably feel the same way. and honestly, if i had a 5c with my lifestyle, as much as i adore large diamonds, i''d feel kind of like it didn''t ''fit'' with me. when i tried on the 5c i felt like i should be lounging in some park avenue penthouse or something with my fluffy white dog (i do have a fluffy white dog!!). while i would LOVE a 3.5c i don''t know that i''d go larger for ''daily wear'' with my lifestyle..but i''d sure love that 5.5c sitting in my jewelry box so i could wear it around the house heheee.

as for insurance, yes it will be expensive. i pay basically about $200 per $10k of insurance through chubb. imagine the stone appraises for like $100k (just totally estimating and it would probably be more since it''s a D VVS) then you would be paying like $2k a year in insurance! That adds up fast. So maybe it is better in the safe deposit box for now??

but what a fab gift, congrats and i love it.
Thank you so much for your insight Mara! I also feel that way about my ring, beautiful but not fitting for my active lifestyle. I''m glad that you have tried on a 5c ring that was about my ring''s finger coverage. I guess I just don''t have anything like it to compare it to so I wasn''t sure how a 5 ct. ring should look on a finger my size.

2K a year in insurance is out of the question right now because I''m paying out the nose for school... I agree that it is better left in the safe than throwing our money away at this point in our lives.
32.gif

brneyedgrl

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! It is nice. I have a larger stone e-ring and a smaller stone e-ring at 1.21 carats. The larger one is not very practical, and it also isn''t a heart and arrows cut. However, it does have a beautiful blue flourescence, and it is pretty clear. I don''t have the grading report, but my DH has it somewhere. If you look under pictures with my screen name, you can find the pics. :)

I agree, get this thing resized, and hopefully, you can get it in your possession too. These big stones are fun to wear when you go out or are dressing up a bit more. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is quite a coincidence for two of you girls to have e-rings and huge family diamond rings! Amazing!
6.gif
30.gif

It's too bad this ring has sentimental value, because I am betting that it would buy a house, if sold! (I'm betting it's a lot more than $100,000). The downside will be the insurance, but I'd be very afraid to own it without it. I think there is some provision for a lower rate if the jewelry item is kept in a safe deposit box. I'd get an appraisal and call Chubb for a quote.

(This is ideal cut, but 3 carats and F VVS1 for $118,000...not even close to 5 carats and D color):

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-72877.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2007 10:46:43 AM
Author: Ellen
WOW! I remember you talking about this ''gift''. That''s one big diamond ya got there.
9.gif
And I agree, get it sized and enjoy it!

Dang, 2 ct. promise rings, 5 ct. gifts, I''m hangin out with the wrong people.
9.gif
Dang is right...wanna go to lunch, Ellen?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How wonderful!
36.gif

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 10:46:43 AM
Author: Ellen
WOW! I remember you talking about this ''gift''. That''s one big diamond ya got there.
9.gif
And I agree, get it sized and enjoy it!

Dang, 2 ct. promise rings, 5 ct. gifts, I''m hangin out with the wrong people.
9.gif
LOL....Ellen--me, too!!! Wonder where that crowd is?...lol

G-E-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!! I hope you get to take it out to play real soon!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2007 11:43:02 AM
Author: Beacon
How lucky you are to get such a wonderful gift from your GFIL. It has so much family history in it too. I would certainly go get that reappraised, insure it and wear it!! Definitely.

Size wise it is hard to judge it from the photos. Do you have very large hands? If you have smaller/normal size hands then, yes, I would guess that stone is facing up somewhat small for over 5 cts. I have tried those on myself and in my size 5.25 finger it looks overwhelmingly huge - but I could get used to it!
31.gif

It could be a number of things making the size appear smaller. Can you measure the millimeters across the top, edge to edge? That is pretty easy to do. It should be over 11 millimeters - so over one full centimeter - at that carat weight. Just the thought... sigh...huge!!
4.gif

You are a very fortunate lady to have a lovely engagement ring from your FI and now this big, beautiful family ring. Enjoy it!!!!!!
HI:

Ditto. A 5 carat RB I recently tried on looked larger than my radiant--covered much more finger real estate than I would have suspected for same carat weights. Nonetheless, your ring is fab! Enjoy it!

cheers--Sharon

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, beautiful ring!!!

I would definitely take this baby to get re-independently appraised, and even though it''s really expensive I would insure it. Even if you only plan to wear it *once* a year, you really can''t afford not to have it insured. If you lost it or if it was stolen, you would be heartbroken.

It doesn''t look 5 carats to me. If you get it re-appraised and it''s really 3.5...or something, then the insurance won''t be as expensive.

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 11:11:01 AM
Author: InlovewithJHK
i know this sounds wierd but I have a few questions for everyone...

Right now the ring isn''t insured... I feel like insurance would be crazy expensive for my ring? Anyone have any clue? I think my grandfather-in-law might have an apprasial that he got 30 years ago when he purchased the ring but I think we might need a new one. Right??

Also, does the ring look small to anyone else but me for its carat weight? I know the ring isn''t H&A (easy to see looking at it) and the table is much bigger proportion wise than mine (55% on mine)... where could all that carat weight be hiding? In the depth? Girdle? Any ideas? I feel like it faces up smaller.... I''ll try to get the cert (hopefully gp-in-law still has it
33.gif
)
Wow~ 5.5? Seriously, can you lift your hand?

My best friend from high school has a 5 ct cushion cut set with a fancy diamond setting that she told me costs her a premium of over $2000 a year.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Sweetie, a special occasion is everyday. Live today. Eat off your best china, today. Wear that silk nightgown tonight because you want to. Eat the icecream now, don''t wait until after dinner. LIVE. and for goodness sakes, don''t come to this board with that rock and tell us it is only for special occasions. Carpe Diem! Thrilled for you!!!

DKS

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is very pretty. I thought it looked small for a 5.5 cts too but sometimes it is hard to tell in photos. I agree for now it might be best where it is. I cannot imagine paying so much for insurance! Of course you could get appraised now for a few hundred just to see.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a nice wedding gift, yowza!! We need more pics when you have time!!!
30.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 11:30:51 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Sweetie, a special occasion is everyday. Live today. Eat off your best china, today. Wear that silk nightgown tonight because you want to. Eat the icecream now, don''t wait until after dinner. LIVE. and for goodness sakes, don''t come to this board with that rock and tell us it is only for special occasions. Carpe Diem! Thrilled for you!!!

DKS

While I agree with door knob in theory, since she does live in a rather unsafe part of town at present time and is a student I think, I can now understand why she''s not running home with this ring just yet. But honestly, in the meantime, send it out to GIA for grading and when it comes back get it sized for your finger so at least you''ll have a current GIA cert AND you can wear the darn thing at family gatherings!

JenniferB

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on such a magnificent wedding gift! OH MY GOODNESS!!!
23.gif

Do get the ring reappraised, and DEFINITELY insure it as soon as you can afford to. I understand what you''re saying about being a student and not wanting to wear the ring in a "not so safe" place. Also, you''d probably get a lot of whispers that you don''t need to trouble yourself with from hostile and jealous classmates. My best gf in lawschool (which btw was even in a very safe area!) did something similar. In our first year she became engaged to an "heir" I guess is the word of a clothing brand everyone has heard of. She wore a very modest ering to school (maybe 1 ct total comprised of smaller stones). There were a few snickers about her ring given her fiance''s "capability" - but what they didn''t know is that she had a beautiful ering in a safe at home (I was not AS diamond obsessed at the time so I don''t remember exactly, but maybe 4 ct center flanked by 2 cts on either side for 8 ct total). But, as soon as it is in your possession and you''re done with your schooling I echo all the sentiments of it deserves to be worn as often as possible! In that case, be sure to insure it: a chip or crack or losing it or having it stolen would be beyond a *bad* day!

Congrats to you again!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Faeriee

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on such a wonderful gift!

It is stunning, I looooove big diamonds! (then again, which girl doesn''t???
31.gif
)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous; that is a ROCK! I love it.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
What an awesome gift! Gorgeous!! We need some more pictures please!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had another thought. If the cut turns out not to be great, you have plenty of rock there that could be recut into an ideal cut diamond. I''d much rather have a 4 ct. ideal cut than a 5.5 ct. good cut. Haha! Like I''d ever have that problem!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Very beautiful!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results