shape
carat
color
clarity

My 5.5 carat D VVS1!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I''ve been trying to sneak to my in laws to take pictures of my ring that I got as a very nice
30.gif
wedding present from my grandfather-in-law. The specs were told to me but I don''t have the GIA cert. I must have diamond shrinkage syndrome because I swear the diamonds gets smaller every time I see it!
2.gif
It is kept locked in a safe so I don''t visit it very often. These pictures are so bad... I''m sorry to be such a tease! I only captured natural light in one shot where you can see the awesome WHITEness of the diamond. Sadly these are the best of the bunch.... enjoy!

optimized1.jpg

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
I think it has a really big table... but it is very sparkly in real life!

optimized2.jpg

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
more.. a different angle- you can see how high it sits!

optimized3.jpg

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
OH LORD! Tat is one gorgeous ring! I must say you are very lucky indeed.. I want more pictures pleaseeeeeee.... When do u get to wear it?

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 8:44:56 AM
Author: threepwood
OH LORD! Tat is one gorgeous ring! I must say you are very lucky indeed.. I want more pictures pleaseeeeeee.... When do u get to wear it?

Hi and thank you!!! I never get to wear it because the band is too big around because it was my grandfather-in-law''s late wife''s engagement ring (size 8 ring size). I wear my 1.28 G VS2 that my hubby bought because it is more suitable for everyday... I want to get the big guy resized so I can wear it for special occasions.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
again sorry about the blurry, ugly pics taken in the basement!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
notice the huge shadow it casts lol!
23.gif
I feel like it doesn''t look that crazy huge around but it feels so much higher on my finger!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful ring! It deserves to be worn every day
1.gif

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 9:56:25 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Wonderful ring! It deserves to be worn every day
1.gif

I agree with Madam Bijoux.. It should be wore everyday.. I have a 1.28ct and if I was given a 5.5ct.. I would wear the 5.5ct everyday..
30.gif

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
5.5!!!! wow!!! that is a BOULDER!!! i agree with the others, that is a ring worthy of seeing the light EVERYDAY. it won''t sparkle in a safe. take it outside and take some pics....we need to drool over that headlight.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 10:23:11 AM
Author: NYCsparkle
5.5!!!! wow!!! that is a BOULDER!!! i agree with the others, that is a ring worthy of seeing the light EVERYDAY. it won''t sparkle in a safe. take it outside and take some pics....we need to drool over that headlight.
I would love to take it out and play with it a bit more but it is at my in-laws and they don''t share my love of diamonds... they think the ring is extravagent and i already get the crazy looks when I get my hubby to get the safe code to get it out every time i visit! They are very nice but also very practical and think the diamond is overkill. I certainly don''t!!! Hopefully I''ll get up to my in laws soon again for nicer pics!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW! I remember you talking about this "gift". That''s one big diamond ya got there.
9.gif
And I agree, get it sized and enjoy it!

Dang, 2 ct. promise rings, 5 ct. gifts, I''m hangin out with the wrong people.
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know, if it was given to you, it is YOURS. I would re set it, and wear it. I might even make my current e ring a stunning pendant so I can wear them both at the same time. It should be yours free and clear, and whether or not your in laws share your feelings, it was given to you. Clearly he knew to give it to someone who would appreciate it! It is a lovely ring and should not be taken out for brief visits! It deserves to be worn!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
i know this sounds wierd but I have a few questions for everyone...

Right now the ring isn''t insured... I feel like insurance would be crazy expensive for my ring? Anyone have any clue? I think my grandfather-in-law might have an apprasial that he got 30 years ago when he purchased the ring but I think we might need a new one. Right??

Also, does the ring look small to anyone else but me for its carat weight? I know the ring isn''t H&A (easy to see looking at it) and the table is much bigger proportion wise than mine (55% on mine)... where could all that carat weight be hiding? In the depth? Girdle? Any ideas? I feel like it faces up smaller.... I''ll try to get the cert (hopefully gp-in-law still has it
33.gif
)

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
B E A U T I F U L! More pics please please pleeeeease!
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 11:11:01 AM
Author: InlovewithJHK

Right now the ring isn''t insured... I feel like insurance would be crazy expensive for my ring? Anyone have any clue? I think my grandfather-in-law might have an apprasial that he got 30 years ago when he purchased the ring but I think we might need a new one. Right??

Also, does the ring look small to anyone else but me for its carat weight? I know the ring isn''t H&A (easy to see looking at it) and the table is much bigger proportion wise than mine (55% on mine)... where could all that carat weight be hiding? In the depth? Girdle? Any ideas? I feel like it faces up smaller.... I''ll try to get the cert (hopefully gp-in-law still has it
33.gif
)
After that many years, yes, I would get a new appraisal. Then call a few ins. cos. and get pricing for it.

To be honest, I expected it to practically be hanging off your finger at that size, since you mentioned it. So yeah, from these pics I''d say it looks like it''s facing up smaller than a stone that size. Are you SURE it''s really 5.5 cts.??

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
A new appraisal would certainly answer your questions about size. Perhaps when you get the ring resized you can have them unset the diamond so you can get a better appraisal from someone with the ability to measure the diamond accurately? I think they might have to remove the diamond to resize the ring anyway, to make sure it doesn't come loose or get damaged during the process.

ETA: When I say better appraisal, I mean better than you'd get with the stone set in the ring. Loose stones are much easier to grade/measure properly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Right now the ring isn't insured... I feel like insurance would be crazy expensive for my ring? Anyone have any clue? I think my grandfather-in-law might have an apprasial that he got 30 years ago when he purchased the ring but I think we might need a new one. Right??

Also, does the ring look small to anyone else but me for its carat weight? I know the ring isn't H&A (easy to see looking at it) and the table is much bigger proportion wise than mine (55% on mine)... where could all that carat weight be hiding? In the depth? Girdle? Any ideas? I feel like it faces up smaller.... I'll try to get the cert (hopefully gp-in-law still has it
33.gif
)
Actually, as you asked - yes - it does look small to me, considering I have the same size finger and my diamond size which is a larger diamond, although smaller than yours. If you could get the diameter measurements that should help. 5 cts should measure around 11 mm and larger as a rough guide.

I forgot to mention it is gorgeous and congratulate you!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 11:27:43 AM
Author: Ellen

33.gif
)
After that many years, yes, I would get a new appraisal. Then call a few ins. cos. and get pricing for it.

To be honest, I expected it to practically be hanging off your finger at that size, since you mentioned it. So yeah, from these pics I''d say it looks like it''s facing up smaller than a stone that size. Are you SURE it''s really 5.5 cts.??
Well, i''m not exactly sure because that is only what I was told... I was expecting it to hang off my finger too! I know that his wife now (my ring is from his wife that died many years ago) has a ring about the same size, maybe it looks a little bigger and it is for sure 5 carats... maybe I''ll get my husband to ask around for the cert because that would clear things up a bit. I wouldn''t be suprised if it was actually smaller than I was told.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
How lucky you are to get such a wonderful gift from your GFIL. It has so much family history in it too. I would certainly go get that reappraised, insure it and wear it!! Definitely.

Size wise it is hard to judge it from the photos. Do you have very large hands? If you have smaller/normal size hands then, yes, I would guess that stone is facing up somewhat small for over 5 cts. I have tried those on myself and in my size 5.25 finger it looks overwhelmingly huge - but I could get used to it!
31.gif

It could be a number of things making the size appear smaller. Can you measure the millimeters across the top, edge to edge? That is pretty easy to do. It should be over 11 millimeters - so over one full centimeter - at that carat weight. Just the thought... sigh...huge!!
4.gif

You are a very fortunate lady to have a lovely engagement ring from your FI and now this big, beautiful family ring. Enjoy it!!!!!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm confused...I dont really understand why you dont have this ring in your possession if he gave it to you
33.gif
... I mean, if it's a matter of safety,you can get your own safety deposit box at your own bank, right? If it was me, I'd tell my GFIL that it is too lovely a gift to not be worn and you've decided to get a safety deposit box at your bank so you can take it home and still have a safe place to keep it. I'd also tell him you're getting it appraised and insured, so he feels more comfortable but if it's yours, take it home!

As for insurance, if it was given to me, I'd have it taken out of the setting and sent to GIA for certification so I would know, for sure, what the current grading is. It is important for a larger stone and would help you to know how to insure it. I dont know if GIA gives an appraisal or not but if not, I'd then take it to a good appraiser (ask here for references in your area), then get a Chubb policy. You can go through Touchstone Insurance at: www.touchstoneinsurance.com. Deal with Ralph and he'll take care of you (most local Chubb dealers are not very good in my experience, but TS is terrific!). My stone is about half the size of yours and my annual insurance is about $500. but its a full replacement value policy so I get a check if anything happens to my ering, I dont have to deal with insurance company replacement diamonds.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 11:36:25 AM

Well, i''m not exactly sure because that is only what I was told... I was expecting it to hang off my finger too! I know that his wife now (my ring is from his wife that died many years ago) has a ring about the same size, maybe it looks a little bigger and it is for sure 5 carats... maybe I''ll get my husband to ask around for the cert because that would clear things up a bit. I wouldn''t be suprised if it was actually smaller than I was told.
That''s kinda what I was wondering....

Yes, if you can get the cert for it, that ought to answer this question. Let us know what you find out!

p.s. And it''s still quite a lovely gift!!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 11:43:02 AM
Author: Beacon
How lucky you are to get such a wonderful gift from your GFIL. It has so much family history in it too. I would certainly go get that reappraised, insure it and wear it!! Definitely.

Size wise it is hard to judge it from the photos. Do you have very large hands? If you have smaller/normal size hands then, yes, I would guess that stone is facing up somewhat small for over 5 cts. I have tried those on myself and in my size 5.25 finger it looks overwhelmingly huge - but I could get used to it!
31.gif

It could be a number of things making the size appear smaller. Can you measure the millimeters across the top, edge to edge? That is pretty easy to do. It should be over 11 millimeters - so over one full centimeter - at that carat weight. Just the thought... sigh...huge!!
4.gif

You are a very fortunate lady to have a lovely engagement ring from your FI and now this big, beautiful family ring. Enjoy it!!!!!!
Thank you! Yes I feel very lucky!!! My finger size is about 5.5 (if I want it tight) but my wedding ring is a size 6 with sizing balls (is that what they are called??) in them. The ring is about 4 hours away from me so I can''t get back to measure it (rats!) but I wish I did. It doesn''t really matter to be (an amazing ring no matter what!) but it is more of a curiosity than anything else. My husband is one of three grandsons and each got a ring to give to their future wife. I got the diamond (my husband is the closest by far to his grandfather), his brother got a HUGE (my guess would be 7+ carats) sapphire with a thick diamond halo and stones around the band (2 carat total weight??) for his wife (married almost 4 years ago), and his unmarried brother has a ruby ring which I haven''t seen. My hubby and I are not rich by any means to it is unique and special to have such a beautiful ring!

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 11:45:19 AM
Author: surfgirl
I''m confused...I dont really understand why you dont have this ring in your possession if he gave it to you
33.gif
... I mean, if it''s a matter of safety,you can get your own safety deposit box at your own bank, right? If it was me, I''d tell my GFIL that it is too lovely a gift to not be worn and you''ve decided to get a safety deposit box at your bank so you can take it home and still have a safe place to keep it. I''d also tell him you''re getting it appraised and insured, so he feels more comfortable but if it''s yours, take it home!

As for insurance, if it was given to me, I''d have it taken out of the setting and sent to GIA for certification so I would know, for sure, what the current grading is. It is important for a larger stone and would help you to know how to insure it. I dont know if GIA gives an appraisal or not but if not, I''d then take it to a good appraiser (ask here for references in your area), then get a Chubb policy. You can go through Touchstone Insurance at: www.touchstoneinsurance.com. Deal with Ralph and he''ll take care of you (most local Chubb dealers are not very good in my experience, but TS is terrific!). My stone is about half the size of yours and my annual insurance is about $500. but its a full replacement value policy so I get a check if anything happens to my ering, I dont have to deal with insurance company replacement diamonds.
To clarify... i''m only 23 and a student in a not so safe area so to wear this ring day to day is kind of out of the question for my comfort/practicality purposes. Also, my husband is sentimental, as am I, and I don''t think I would ever wear the ring instead of my e-ring day-to-day. My GFIL offered it to my husband to propose with and he turned it down! So because I respect my sweet husband''s decision, I''ll keep the big ring for special nights out.

I don''t have a problem with it at my in laws (who are lovely people) except when I want to photograph it!... I think once we get more established I''ll bring the ring home to where I am.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, we need about a gazillion more macro shots of that beautiful ring!!!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results