shape
carat
color
clarity

Multi Stone Ring? Anyone?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, I was browsing thru some picts and came across this ring. I have a couple of loose stones of various colors and shapes (round, long cushion, oval, diamond) approx between 1-2.4 carats. I am kinda inspired to set them into a 4?5? stone ring. What do you think? will it look tacky? Pict references welcome! TIA

mommyandchildrenringcloserep.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s tough to design something that won''t end up overwhelming while using several colors and several shapes, but it''s not impossible. For example, I think this is really not tacky: http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/637/1300637_090903091425_55205.jpg
but others might disagree. However, it''s not the various colors or shapes that concerns me with your stones, it''s their size. Maybe it would be easier to design some wire bangle with them, or maybe even a pendant, but if your heart is set on a ring, do tell what colors of stones you have (or even better, show them all in a pic). Generally it''s easier to combine lighter colors together than darker, and to use either white accent stones or white metal to balance it all, but there are really no rules. So, do share some more info about stones in question, so we can work from there.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 4:59:32 AM
Author: ma re
It''s tough to design something that won''t end up overwhelming while using several colors and several shapes, but it''s not impossible. For example, I think this is really not tacky: http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/637/1300637_090903091425_55205.jpg

but others might disagree. However, it''s not the various colors or shapes that concerns me with your stones, it''s their size. Maybe it would be easier to design some wire bangle with them, or maybe even a pendant, but if your heart is set on a ring, do tell what colors of stones you have (or even better, show them all in a pic). Generally it''s easier to combine lighter colors together than darker, and to use either white accent stones or white metal to balance it all, but there are really no rules. So, do share some more info about stones in question, so we can work from there.

Tks Ma re! I do not think its tacky too! In fact its quite cool! I will wait for a few new stones to come in next week and will post a pict of the lot. In the mean time keep your views coming
21.gif

I do like the stone combination on this stacker ring too, maybe I can prong-set them as well.

Stackersrep.jpg

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
I like multi-stone rings. I can''t say that I''m in love with that one, but that''s just my style preference. And it might just be the photo.. if I saw it on my hand, I might be more in love. ;-) Sometimes I like rings that are different, or that don''t fit other people''s styles, too. If it fits your style, it''s a nice color combination and certainly unique. The flowers on it are cute, and the stones do stand out nicely. Personally, I might go with something like the above link, where it''s thicker, solid band with stones set in it. Or, a wide floral band with multiple stones in it. I saw a multi-stone ring on here a while back that was stunning, but I can''t find it. It was floral, and had at least a few types of stones.. someone had bought it from their co-worker. Maybe someone remembers the one I''m talking about (wishful thinking, with this vague description)?

I do like sentiment and style of this one, too: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-family-generational-ring-is-here.104292/

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 5:25:59 AM
Author: ringthings

I like multi-stone rings. I can''t say that I''m in love with that one, but that''s just my style preference. And it might just be the photo.. if I saw it on my hand, I might be more in love. ;-) Sometimes I like rings that are different, or that don''t fit other people''s styles, too. If it fits your style, it''s a nice color combination and certainly unique. The flowers on it are cute, and the stones do stand out nicely. Personally, I might go with something like the above link, where it''s thicker, solid band with stones set in it. Or, a wide floral band with multiple stones in it. I saw a multi-stone ring on here a while back that was stunning, but I can''t find it. It was floral, and had at least a few types of stones.. someone had bought it from their co-worker. Maybe someone remembers the one I''m talking about (wishful thinking, with this vague description)?

I do like sentiment and style of this one, too: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-family-generational-ring-is-here.104292/

Tks ringthings! That''s a helpful reference too! Maybe I can alternate diamonds in between to fill up the difference in shapes and sizes
37.gif

Let me create a clickable link on your ringthings rec

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
and here is ma re''s reference

mare rec.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey chic,

I believe the first ring posted is Marietiger's mother's ring, which imho is one of the nicest multi-stone rings around.

Here was my take on a RHring with different shapes, colours and species - I love the way it turned out and wear it often.

A number of more pics

here on JKT's site.

Personally I like the concept, but do feel you need to choose your stones wisely or it could be train-wrecky.
I am currently having a 5 stone bracelet created with all different colours, shapes, sizes and varieties of gems.

ETA; whoops, sorry about the massive pic!

DSC05606.for ps2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If done very carefully, it can be very nice otherwise it might end up looking weird, out of place or worse yet, tacky. I have seen multistone rings, pendant and bracelets where the stones used are of different colours and shapes but they still “flowed” because of the design and use of diamond melees to tie everything together.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 9:47:38 AM
Author: Chrono
If done very carefully, it can be very nice otherwise it might end up looking weird, out of place or worse yet, tacky.

I really got a kick out of this comment Chrono. You could be talking about any segment of fashion, not just jewelry...clothing comes to mind here. Tacky to one person, being high fashion to another. I suppose that it all depends on your views. If you just call it "ART" you can do anything you''d like and get away it, provided you do so with the right attitude. This means that your attitude has to be as bold as your jewelry AND you MUST appear to be unconcerned about the opinions of anyone else.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi all! tks for the input. I thought that these are some interesting references

1115.1.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
rwwise

1681.1.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 8:42:19 AM
Author: arjunajane
Hey chic,

I believe the first ring posted is Marietiger's mother's ring, which imho is one of the nicest multi-stone rings around.

Here was my take on a RHring with different shapes, colours and species - I love the way it turned out and wear it often.

A number of more pics

here on JKT's site.

Personally I like the concept, but do feel you need to choose your stones wisely or it could be train-wrecky.

I am currently having a 5 stone bracelet created with all different colours, shapes, sizes and varieties of gems.

ETA; whoops, sorry about the massive pic!
Tks Chrono & Michael E, ya at the end of the day its all up to personal taste and preference:)

hi arjunajane! I do agree that its a pretty ring:) however the sidestones are 'balanced' with the same size. But the stones I intend to use are all of different shapes, sizes and colors. I believe that I am handling a more challenging task!

VapidLapid- that's an interesting link tks!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Chrono - it can surely be done in a beautiful way and as long as you love it, that''s great :)

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I think the multi-stone rings that look great are those that have either a definite main stone or where all stones are of a similar shape like the bracelet from Richard Wise. But I haven''t yet seen one that looks great, to me at least, where the stones are a conglomeration of shapes, sizes, colours and cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results