shape
carat
color
clarity

Movies you haven''t seen but feel you should

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Skippy for recommending a new thread! What are movies that you''ve felt that you should see but haven''t yet.

I''m planning on watching:

Funny Face
the original Father of the Bride
Schindler''s List
Gone with the Wind

I know I''ll come up with others...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Scarface
All the Godfathers
the Graduate
On the Waterfront
Raging Bull
SCHINDLER'S LIST
Bells Are Ringing

I have seen a lot AFI's top 20 movies of all times. I love old movies; they are very endearing
9.gif
They really have a different feel to them; today's movies don't even come close.
15.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
MrsSalvo just reminded me about Doris Day movies (in the Breakast at Tiffany''s thread) and I also remembered Singing in the Rain. I knew I was forgetting some.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never saw Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile. Sometimes I cannot deal with really sad things, makes me so sad to see misery. I love old comedies and musicals...and Gone with the Wind is one of my all time favorites. Just love it so much. Get a lot of popcorn and give yourself a bathroom break or 5...it is about 4 hours long!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
The ones listed so far are good. I haven''t seen many of them.

I think there are more books I want to read rather than movies. I never read War and Peace.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still haven''t seen Schindler''s List, or It''s a Wonderful Life! I did happen to catch Some Like it Hot today, I thought it was great!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE movies, so I''ve seen all of the ones you guys have listed thus far, but I have not yet seen any of The Godfather movies. I know, don''t freak out, they are cinematic staples, and yes, I haven''t seen them.

Gone With the Wind is one of my absolute favorites, along with The Shawshank Redemption--DF, you must see that movie, It is so good!

I love this thread, Zoe, I''ll be checking in to see what I should be renting this month!

Oh, I think a really, really good modern film is In Good Company, this would be my modern must-see pick.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Monnie, say it isn''t so...You have never seen ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE?
23.gif
Oh my stars.

No need for you ever to consult a therapist. I have found your only flaw. You must watch it. THIS IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE!! I have watched that movie...oh about 200 times. I think about this movie...all year round...not just at Christmas. My family and friends know of my passion and often refer to it.

Please watch it. The first of the movie is a little slow but it is all important...so pay close attention. Many who watch it get distracted and can''t tie everything together. But everything is poignant and relative to the story as a whole.

Pop the corn...and settle in.

DKS

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, DKS, and you''re right, you have found my ONLY flaw because otherwise I am PERFECT.
11.gif
LOL! You know what, the last scene I have seen in several other movies and hearing that little kid say "every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings" is like nails on a blackboard to me for some reason. I don''t know WHY I feel that way, probably because I''ve never actually watched the movie. Just for you I will put renting that movie on my to-do list this week. Heck, I''ll even check to see if it''s available on our OnDemand feature on t.v. Never mind, just checked and didn''t find it. I''ll be renting it, then, don''t you worry. We have a couple of movies DH rented tonight so I''ll get it when I return those in a couple days. Hey, I do know that Jimmy Stewart plays the dad, right, and at least I knew the last line of the movie! Ya gotta give me a tiny bit of credit for that! LOL!

My movie obsession is Wizard of Oz, I''ve probably seen it 200 times!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monnie, there is a version, very cheesy, of It''s a Wonderful Life, with James Belushi and Linda Hamilton, called Mr. Destiny. It is totally crappy, and not about Jim Belushi not existing at all, but rather, a what if movie, how would his life be better if he had accomplished something in middle school that he did not in fact accomplish...he thinks his life would be awesome and amazing if he had and he is shown all that would NOT be there too. I love it though it is the cheesy version of the Frank Capra movie, which I happen to love as well. It does get ham handedly over used, but if you see the movie in its entirety, it really may not seem as annoying to you when you hear the bell comment. And if you want a silly version in the meantime, get Mr. Destiny...to gear you up for the real thing!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestion, DF! I will definitely add Mr. Destiny to my list. You know, I forgot to mention above in response to DKS that one reason I never watch IAWL during the holiday season is because I really love Miracle on 34th Street, I used to watch it with my dad every year, along with all the animated classics Christmas type movies. Maybe my dad didn''t like Jimmy Stewart or something...he told me once that Bing Crosby was a child molester so maybe he had some hangup about JS, who knows? LOL!

Re. Shawshank...I hope YOU take advantage of watching that sometime! It has a triumphant ending, and the whole story is great, imo. I read the book before i saw the movie, but Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman are just wonderful in it, and it''s not as sad as you might think. Green Mile is waaaay too sad, though, I saw it once in the theater and whenever it''s on t.v. I flip channels because I don''t like overly sad movies either. Or books, for that matter...my mom just loaned me Widow of the South, and I couldn''t get into it for the first 5 chapters because it was so utterly sad...I decided to just go ahead and read the whole thing, though, and was glad I did. You might like it if you can get past the sad parts and you haven''t already read it!

Also, I just finished Twelve Sharp by J.Evanovich...another fun read! I can''t wait for #13...and my friend and I were just discussing the possibility of a movie, she had the same ideas you and Skippy were talking about as far as The Rock and Sandra Bullock!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought they would be perfect. What did you think of my other casting ideas?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely like Mo''Nique for Lula! She''s waaaay sassier than Queen L''atifah, imo, and would do Lula proud, lol! Shoot, I have to refer back to the other thread for your other choices...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I had the guy from Knocked Up (Seth?) as Albert Cloughn, and I thought maybe Cameron Diaz as Valerie? Then the old lady who was in the Wedding SInger with Adam Sandler, the one who sings for her husband and pays Adam in meatballs, I thought she could be the granny, and then I was thinking Fran Dresher as Connie in the bail bonds office and Steve Buscemi as Vinnie. For Joe, I like Colin Farrel or even Matt Dillon or Ben Affleck...

sorry to jack, just wanted to save you having to look it up!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2007 2:04:09 AM
Author: monarch64
I definitely like Mo''Nique for Lula! She''s waaaay sassier than Queen L''atifah, imo, and would do Lula proud, lol! Shoot, I have to refer back to the other thread for your other choices...
Ok, I had to refresh my memory on your other choices! I''m thinking Russell Crowe for Morelli for some reason, that is just the picture I get in my head when I read about Morelli...I think he could play an Italian guy. The actress you mentioned for the grandmother''s role is Ellen Albertini Dow, I just googled the Wedding Singer and found that. She''d be perfect, of course! She''s been in SO many movies and t.v. roles, it''s amazing, and so many of them have been so recent! I love her in everything, especially all the Adam Sandler movies! For Vinnie, I really like Steve Buscemi, he can play shady and sleazy for sure. Also Christopher from the Sopranos might work as well! Fran Dresher as Connie would be perfect, I can totally see her in that role. And I think that''s it, except for Albert Kloughn, but he hasn''t really stuck around or been mentioned in the last couple books so I don''t know.

You know who we''re forgetting? The villainess, Joyce Barnhardt, the gal Stephanie''s ex slept with, and who''s now become a bounty hunter as well? I think the red headed gal from Clueless (the movie and t.v. show, she played Cher''s frenemy Amber) and she was in Sabrina the Teenage Witch sitcom, would be great. She is about the right age, or could pull it off, and she''s great at playing the b*tch.
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2007 2:07:30 AM
Author: asscherisme
Blood Diamond.
Oh, definitely rent that as soon as you get a chance! Did you read (I think it was) John from WF''s critique/review of it a while back? Lots of great insight there. Just do a search for Blood Diamond and that thread should pop up for you if you didn''t see it before.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Russel is not quite dark and handsome enough to me for Morelli. I know who you are talking about for Joyce she could be great, what about someone like Pamela Anderson?! Obvious but I can see it totally! I would actually love being a casting director, it would be a lot of fun! Her parents, I have no idea, maybe Dan Hedaya (the dad from Clueless) might be fine, and Bonnie Bedelia for the mom? They are sort of faceless to me.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw the movie with Ed Norton and Naomi Watts about cholera in China and was quite moved by it, really did not know what to expect...I think it was called the Painted Veil...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2007 2:21:43 AM
Author: diamondfan
Russel is not quite dark and handsome enough to me for Morelli. I know who you are talking about for Joyce she could be great, what about someone like Pamela Anderson?! Obvious but I can see it totally! I would actually love being a casting director, it would be a lot of fun! Her parents, I have no idea, maybe Dan Hedaya (the dad from Clueless) might be fine, and Bonnie Bedelia for the mom? They are sort of faceless to me.
Oh definitely, great choices for Steph''s mom and dad! Bonnie Bedelia just made an appearance on Big Love, don''t know if you watch that show but she was fantastic in her role as one of the wives'' mother. I know what you mean about Russell Crowe...maybe Matt Dillon is a better pick. You would be wonderful as a casting director! Don''t you have some experience in television...?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, not me, but my grandfather was an actor and and hubby''s dad was in the entertainment field as a writer and his sister is an actress and I had a lot of friends who were in the industry. I find I always cast my favorite books as I read them, and often re cast films if I do not like the stars chemistry or think someone else could have done a better job in the role. Of course unknowns can be great too, but I only can conjur up people I know and have seen...a real casting person could come up with new faces who would be great too!

I have never seen Big Love but would like to!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I don''t where I came up with associating you with t.v....maybe it was Nicrez or one of the other gals on the EC. Or maybe I dreamed it? LOL!

Big Love is pretty good, it''s an HBO show so of course it''s a little controversial. Sometimes I am bothered by the whole premise, but I like watching it anyway, Jeanne Triplehorn and Bill Paxton make great lead actors for the show and Chloe Sevigny is just a hoot in her role. I think you would enjoy it.

I am watching Ready to Wear as I type...remember it? 1994, and a plethora of cameo appearances, I just love it. I haven''t seen the movie Painted Veil, I''ll have to add it to my list. Have you seen The Constant Gardener with Rachel Weisz (sp?) and Ralph Fiennes? Fabulous, very political but wonderful filmography and fantastic story.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to see Constant Gardener, as well as Babel, but have not gotten to them yet. I am watching Blythe Spirit with Rex Harrison right now, I loved the play of it and the movie is pretty funny as well!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 1:33:41 AM

Also, I just finished Twelve Sharp by J.Evanovich...another fun read! I can't wait for #13...and my friend and I were just discussing the possibility of a movie, she had the same ideas you and Skippy were talking about as far as The Rock and Sandra Bullock!
Oh oh, I am almost done with Twelve Sharp; I have like 40 pages left.
3.gif
I like Monique for Lula; what about Antonio Sabto Jr for Ranger and I really like Christopher Meloni for Morelli for some reason. What about Tank? Connie? Vinnie? I do like the Rock for Ranger too! I also like Sandra Bullock for Stephanie Plum.

ETA: Matt Dillon also would make a good Morelli!!!

I want to see Pillow Talk since Mrs. S thought it was cute!!!

ETA: Hlmr, I too loved Life is Beautiful; I cried so hard. It really shows the love parents have for their children! Gosh, it makes me teary thinking of it. That is one of my FAVORITE movies.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Definitely Schindler's List.....I have been avoiding this movie for too many years....I must step up to the plate.

I thoroughly enjoyed Life is Beautiful.

ETA: Skippy - I actually couldn't breathe very well during this movie as I was overcome with emotion and empathy. It broke my heart and yet made me feel full too!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I loved Life is Beautiful too, so amazing. I also LOVED Cinema Paradiso, it has to be one of my all time favorite movies. It makes my cry whenever I see it.

Skippy, I like Vingh Rhames for Tank, and Jeremy Piven for Dickie Orr, her first hubby. I thought Steve Buscemi for Vinnie, Fran Drescher for Connie...

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
What a great thread
1.gif

I''ve always wanted to watch Casablanca. We actually have the DVD but I can''t seem to convince DH to watch it with me, and I feel it''s the sort of movie we should experience together. Does anyone else get that feeling about other classic movies?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 1:33:41 AM

Also, I just finished Twelve Sharp by J.Evanovich...another fun read! I can''t wait for #13...and my friend and I were just discussing the possibility of a movie, she had the same ideas you and Skippy were talking about as far as The Rock and Sandra Bullock!
Wow, i have a lot of thread reading to do tonight! I like Janet Evanovich''s books a lot. Thirteen is out in hardcover by the way. I have it but I haven''t read it yet.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 2:04:09 AM
Yes, I think so too! She''d be a great Lula!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 12:57:11 AM
I know, DKS, and you''re right, you have found my ONLY flaw because otherwise I am PERFECT.
11.gif
LOL! You know what, the last scene I have seen in several other movies and hearing that little kid say ''every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings'' is like nails on a blackboard to me for some reason. I don''t know WHY I feel that way, probably because I''ve never actually watched the movie. Just for you I will put renting that movie on my to-do list this week. Heck, I''ll even check to see if it''s available on our OnDemand feature on t.v. Never mind, just checked and didn''t find it. I''ll be renting it, then, don''t you worry. We have a couple of movies DH rented tonight so I''ll get it when I return those in a couple days. Hey, I do know that Jimmy Stewart plays the dad, right, and at least I knew the last line of the movie! Ya gotta give me a tiny bit of credit for that! LOL!

My movie obsession is Wizard of Oz, I''ve probably seen it 200 times!

funny, i feel the same way... and i just added it to our netflix queue. yeh #122.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results